League News: 2015-16 Around the League V (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bettman became commissioner in February 1993. At that point, San Jose, Ottawa, and Tampa Bay were already functioning franchises. Florida and Anaheim had been awarded expansion franchises in December 1992, also before Bettman took office. In other words, five of the nine expansion teams were already in place before Bettman.

The North Stars moved to Dallas in the fall of 1993, however, they had stripped the "North" from their name back in 1991 and attempted to move the franchise to Anaheim before the Ducks were announced. That team was clearly on the move before Bettman took office.

Prior to getting an expansion team, Nashville tried to lure the Devils out of New Jersey. Bettman actually stepped in to help the Devils stay in New Jersey.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/14/s...nd-new-jersey-call-truce-and-strike-deal.html

I don't know what anyone expected Bettman to have to done to keep Hartford from moving. Karmanos didn't want to stay in Hartford, and had serious disagreements with the governor of Connecticut. It got to the point where Karmanos announced the team was leaving Connecticut before he even settling on a new home. Unless you expected Gary Bettman to go out and buy a few thousand season tickets himself and force people to attend rallies, I really don't know what you think could have been done to prevent that move.

I don't know if anyone said Bettman was responsible for ALL the expansion in the league, just over-expansion in general (which can be by one or two teams if they drag down the league) and protectionism regarding his southern franchises .

There were expansion teams even before the ones you listed, as well as mergers. That stuff happens. It's not the same as overexpanding and overfocusing on traditionally non-hockey markets. The Thrashers/Jets and Jets/Coyotes are examples of where things went wrong. And at the time of the CBA negotiations and lost season, franchises like that were a major concern.

You're also missing or downplaying Bettman's refusal to contract any of the southern teams that were struggling prior to profit sharing. That was a major part of his platform and one that he would not budge on. His protection of the league as an expanding entity with particular focus on southern markets in the US cost the NHL and entire season.

Bottom line, 11 years later there are still problems, but the league is in decent shape as a whole so he gets a new contract.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Whether displaced or not, my main gripe with Bettman is how the league has pushed to be as soccer-mom friendly as possible on his watch, with wacky rule changes and just general taming of the game for casual fans. How much has the game really grown in audience as a result? I'm not talking total revenue, but attendance league-wide as well as TV ratings compared to when he took over? It may not be a fair comparison since the media landscape has changed a lot since then, with the internet and various other sports networks popping up.

Many things are being tamed for casual ppl. That's a long period trend imho. Dumb and dumber world. Soon in all matrices.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone see the puckdaddy guy on hockey central today? he said he felt bad for toews getting caught up in controversy because he was sick. then said that the capitals were "brazen" in yanking ovechkin from the asg.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Anyone see the puckdaddy guy on hockey central today? he said he felt bad for toews getting caught up in controversy because he was sick. then said that the capitals were "brazen" in yanking ovechkin from the asg.

whatever, maybe after we have a couple cups to our name we can try to appease the masses more. Until then do whatever it takes.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Double standards. If Toews was Russian and Ovi Canadian it would be the other way around I'm sure.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The NHL lost a season partly because Bettman over-expanded and needed a system in place to protect the smaller market teams, present and future, via the salary cap and profit sharing. GB was willing to torpedo an entire season to get it, and the owners went along with him because they didn't really have any choice.

It had a bad look at the time. Ultimately, it probably had to be done, though.

Whether displaced or not, my main gripe with Bettman is how the league has pushed to be as soccer-mom friendly as possible on his watch, with wacky rule changes and just general taming of the game for casual fans. How much has the game really grown in audience as a result? I'm not talking total revenue, but attendance league-wide as well as TV ratings compared to when he took over? It may not be a fair comparison since the media landscape has changed a lot since then, with the internet and various other sports networks popping up.

Still, Bettman will be the commish as long as the owners assets are increasing in value. It has nothing to do with the integrity of the game or any romantic notion I or others might have.

This is really end of discussion. He's hired to run a multi-billion $ business and he's doing well by corporate standards. He's there to protect the richest men in the world from themselves and he's done well by them to date. He'll retire when he wants IMO like Stern.

Apr 6, 2004
This is really end of discussion. He's hired to run a multi-billion $ business and he's doing well by corporate standards. He's there to protect the richest men in the world from themselves and he's done well by them to date. He'll retire when he wants IMO like Stern.

This. Roger Goodell makes Bettman look like a saint .... and he's still employed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Give Toews the benefit of the doubt. Guy is a proven winner. Why wouldn't ppl like to see him one more time?

That's not what I'm saying though. Some guy said that he felt bad for Toews being suspended because he was sick and that the Caps/Ovi had a lot of nerve to skip the ASG.
Basically Toews gets the benefit of the doubt and Ovi doesn't. I hate this double standard.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Will the bye week be rotating for teams, like in the NFL - or will it be the same for everyone. Really hope it's the former and not the latter. Shutting down the whole game for a week seems like a bad way to market the sport.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i know everyone bummed right now but take a look at rest of divison

Washington 48 games played 35wins 9losses 4ot losses 74 points
rangers 50 games played 27 wins 18 losses 5 ot losses 59 points
islanders 48 games played 26 wins 16 losses 6 ot losses 58 points
penguins 49 games played 25 wins 17 losses 7 ot losses 57 points
devils 51 games played 26 wins 20 losses 5 ot losses 57 points
hurricanes 51 games 23 wins 20 losses 8 ot losses 54 points
flyers 48 games played 22 wins 18 losses 8 ot losses 52 points

then look at other divison, you have
tampa bay, boston and detroit all at 58 points (with one of those teams fighting for wild card too)behind florida. Ive never seen it this close

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We will lock our playoff spot early and get prepared for the playoffs while they fight for survival. I'm happy we separated ourselves from the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad