League News: 2015-16 Around the League V (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
He got his bell rung and couldn't think or see straight while skating toward the bench, then stuck his arms up instinctually when he saw he was about to make contact with someone. It's a simple scenario that isn't contrived at all.

And PR 101 says don't any anything to the media.

If he was concussed - why didn't he ever go back for concussion protocol when he got to the bench? He went to his main spot and stayed there.

If there was a concussion issue - the team DR's should of had him come off asap. Nothing happened.

I think he just snapped. He got hit hard... there was no call... He tried to get to the bench and an official was blocking him... and he just pushed. The linesman looked small so the push probbly didn't seem like a lot (probably equivalent to pushing opposing players after a stoppage near the net). However, an official isn't used to that, is as big as that, and just got laid out. Once that happened - it was a lengthy suspension. Intent to hurt or not. You cannot lay your hands on an official.

20 games is fair IMO.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Instant concussion looks like "motionless man on the ice then slow to get to the straight line" usually. In Wideman's case it was far from its usual look in my opinion. And he didn't miss any shifts.

So Dennis did **** up.

He should have been punished for that.

Thus I don't see a problem with this suspension.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Instant concussion looks like "motionless man on the ice then slow to get to the straight line" usually. In Wideman's case it was far from its usual look in my opinion. And he didn't miss any shifts.

So Dennis did **** up.

i agree with everything except this part. there really isnt a concussion look. they may look dazed or slow to bench but theres also concussions where there are no outside indicators

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
i agree with everything except this part. there really isnt a concussion look. they may look dazed or slow to bench but theres also concussions where there are no outside indicators

I said usually ffs! :D

We remember mostly the ones when it's obvious. So that's usually looks similar (big collision, motionlessness, no straight movement).

When concussion occurs out of something we don't recognize while watching I bet we don't remember the looks of it at all. Just plainly don't know if there was something. I'm out of words to describe what I want to tell :P

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

So Dennis did **** up.

I wouldn't say the motionless man on the ice is always the factor in a concussion diagnosis. Perhaps a violent massive one as we've seen over the years that have put guys careers in jeopardy(and ended others). I'll use the NFL as an example. Lots of guys get their bell rung, jump right up woozy and jog off the field and down the tunnel and get diagnosed with a concussion. Even the stick slam on the ice after he got up kind of made me think it was a possibility. Especially if you've had them in your lifetime, there's a instant "GOD DAMNIT" factor cause you kind of know.

I don't know his history with them but I know mine and the frustration.

However the way he went at the ref was horrible. Even if he thought it was another player that was wrong.

Wideman deserves to pay the price and I honestly would have liked to see him get more than 20.

Had he been diagnosed with one I might feel differently but as far as I know he didn't "officially" have one.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

So Dennis did **** up.

This is probably the biggest thing that worked against him. He also skated pretty well for someone who was "woozy" IMO and that could be another strike against him.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So as I expected he did indeed have a concussion as a result of that hit.

The NHL and the Flames really ought to have it handed to them. It's the job of the trainers, medical staff, and ultimately the head coach to make sure that the player doesn't step foot back on the ice after a suspected concussion is spotted unless you can definitively say there is no concussion.

The research is out there and it is clear: you slam your brain into your skull and bad things can happen such as loss of vision, cognitive ability, and awareness. Just because he tapped his stick on the ice and looked like he had decent balance doesn't mean he had any awareness of his surroundings.

I think this is the NHL protecting itself from admitting they screwed up letting him back in the game. This isn't finished and while I'm sure Bettman will uphold the decision, the interesting part is when it comes down to an independent arbitrator. $560,000 is a lot of money to take away from the guy and the NHLPA will fight.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The research is out there and it is clear: you slam your brain into your skull and bad things can happen such as loss of vision, cognitive ability, and awareness. Just because he tapped his stick on the ice and looked like he had decent balance doesn't mean he had any awareness of his surroundings.
Tapping his stick proves he was aware he wanted to come off for a line change and I don't think he takes 12 clean strides if he was as woozy as you believe he was. He barely even stumbled.

Plus, as it's been noted, he came back the next shift and never went through protocol. If he was that bad wouldn't he have went back with the training staff?

Edit: Also, why would the NHL be protecting themselves? They aren't the ones responsible for letting him back in the game. That's on the training staff, player, and coaches. Doesn't each team have a "spotter" or something for these types of hits?

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So yeah, sounds like he was concussed.

Definitely reflects poorly on the Flames. How do you let a guy who might have a head injury decide if he needs medical attention, especially when the league has an established and supposedly mandatory protocol?

That said, I don't think the league's judgement is that vulnerable as the rule is fairly clear. I suppose Wideman and the PA could take action against the team for failing to handle his situation properly.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So how long do ya'll think Edmonton fans will sweat that goal that McDork scored on that horrible CBJ defense? :snide:

a- the rest of the week
b- the rest of the month
c- the rest of the year
d- fo-eva

???

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So as I expected he did indeed have a concussion as a result of that hit.

The NHL and the Flames really ought to have it handed to them. It's the job of the trainers, medical staff, and ultimately the head coach to make sure that the player doesn't step foot back on the ice after a suspected concussion is spotted unless you can definitively say there is no concussion.

I think this is the NHL protecting itself from admitting they screwed up letting him back in the game. This isn't finished and while I'm sure Bettman will uphold the decision, the interesting part is when it comes down to an independent arbitrator. $560,000 is a lot of money to take away from the guy and the NHLPA will fight.

Would you mind posting where it was said that he does have a concussion just so we can have a record of it?

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015
In my own mind, I find the more plausible explanation is an unfortunate collision. The linesman seems to cut out from the boards towards open ice, wideman angles to boards to pass behind, linesman cuts back in (which should probably have been expected, they kind of live along the boards), wideman not paying attention, you know the rest.

I disagree with the ruling, but not enough to get worked up about. Flatten a linesman from behind in what can be interpreted as a reckless or malicious fashion, expect to get suspended a long time I guess. Im not sure theres much benefit in putting any more thought I to it.

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015
So how long do ya'll think Edmonton fans will sweat that goal that McDork scored on that horrible CBJ defense? :snide:

a- the rest of the week
b- the rest of the month
c- the rest of the year
d- fo-eva

???

D, fo sho. I cant blame them...what else is there to be excited about in edm?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
D, fo sho. I cant blame them...what else is there to be excited about in edm?

Be excited but don't be embarrassing. Some of those folks are crapping on Bure as a comparison like he's not a legend or something.
Bure is something that McDork will never ever be - appealing!

*** flips hair and walks away ***

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Be excited but don't be embarrassing. Some of those folks are crapping on Bure as a comparison like he's not a legend or something.
Bure is something that McDork will never ever be - appealing!

*** flips hair and walks away ***

You don't like McDavid because you don't find him attractive enough? Damn, I wonder what you think about Ovi then :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
In my own mind, I find the more plausible explanation is an unfortunate collision. The linesman seems to cut out from the boards towards open ice, wideman angles to boards to pass behind, linesman cuts back in (which should probably have been expected, they kind of live along the boards), wideman not paying attention, you know the rest.

I disagree with the ruling, but not enough to get worked up about. Flatten a linesman from behind in what can be interpreted as a reckless or malicious fashion, expect to get suspended a long time I guess. Im not sure theres much benefit in putting any more thought I to it.

Good post.

I feel like the linesman was hard to read where he was going and Wideman angry/concussed got annoyed and just hit him to get to the bench.

I think the ruling is reasonable but think Calgary should be fined for ignoring an obviously out of control / injured player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->