Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
http://theahl.com/ahl-approves-formation-of-pacific-division-p196033

Here's the official announcement. Welcome to San Diego, prospects! No news on the name yet that I could see -- I'm personally still expecting "Gulls".

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced today that the league’s Board of Governors has formally and unanimously approved the steps necessary to create a Pacific Division within the AHL beginning with the 2015-16 season.

The Board has approved the following:

• The Anaheim Ducks will purchase the Norfolk Admirals AHL franchise and will relocate it from Norfolk, Va., to San Diego, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Calgary Flames will relocate from Glens Falls, N.Y., to Stockton, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Edmonton Oilers will relocate from Oklahoma City, Okla., to Bakersfield, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Los Angeles Kings will relocate from Manchester, N.H., to Ontario, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the San Jose Sharks will relocate from Worcester, Mass., to San Jose, Calif.

Full division alignments and schedule formats for the 2015-16 season will be determined by the Board of Governors at a later date.

Last edited:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I like the idea of Admirals better than Gulls. Let the junior and kids team keep the Gulls name.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I like the idea of Admirals better than Gulls. Let the junior and kids team keep the Gulls name.

The junior team started using the name (and EXACT logo) while the ECHL Gulls were still playing, so that was clearly by some sort of agreement. No reason the pro team can't take up the name AND leave the name with the kids team.

I hope they go with something else. Gulls means nothing to me.

Not to be rude, but it's not YOU that it needs to have meaning to. It's the people who would be buying tickets to the home team, and the Gulls name is older than the Kings NHL team -- the WHL Gulls owner BUILT the San Diego Sports arena in 1966 specifically to house his team. So it means a lot to the history of hockey in this city - 8 years in the WHL, 5 years in the IHL, 11 years in the WCHL/ECHL. Oh, and those five Taylor Cups :)

Last edited:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

It's already dumb that there are two AHL teams called the Admirals and the Ducks can rectify that. The Gulls have a long history in San Diego, I think it's the most natural fit. I expect new logos though that are more in line with the Ducks. At the very least the old Gulls logo on a Ducks jersey.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The junior team started using the name (and EXACT logo) while the ECHL Gulls were still playing, so that was clearly by some sort of agreement. No reason the pro team can't take up the name AND leave the name with the kids team.

Not to be rude, but it's not YOU that it needs to have meaning to. It's the people who would be buying tickets to the home team, and the Gulls name is older than the Kings NHL team -- the WHL Gulls owner BUILT the San Diego Sports arena in 1966 specifically to house his team. So it means a lot to the history of hockey in this city - 8 years in the WHL, 5 years in the IHL, 11 years in the WCHL/ECHL. Oh, and those five Taylor Cups :)

I'm talking about my preference. I don't give a **** about those people. You, apparently. Kinda like you and the Norfolk fans.

Not to be rude.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's already dumb that there are two AHL teams called the Admirals and the Ducks can rectify that. The Gulls have a long history in San Diego, I think it's the most natural fit. I expect new logos though that are more in line with the Ducks. At the very least the old Gulls logo on a Ducks jersey.

Totally forgot about that. Ya, Gulls it is.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
So excited, it's all official and some junk!

Murray's comments gave me warm fuzzies, really brought home the benefit of having an AHL team close to home.

I'm for the Gulls, it just fits so well with the parent club's theme, and seems like a nod to the SD fans. Admirals works great, but no need for the redundant usage with Milwaukee anymore. Besides, we're already taking Norfolk's team, let them keep their brand. I really hope they don't go with the boring "San Diego Ducks". I get that it's not uncommon to go that route between AHL/NHL teams, but come on, give them their own identity.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There's supposed to be a big Navy rivalry between Norfolk and San Diego, I don't know that they'd keep "Admirals" anyway. I think they should go with whatever name pulls in people and puts butts in seats.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
FWIW They've already trademarked the name San Diego Admirals. The link is somewhere in the Business Forum. Not sure which page of the thread it's on.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Would prefer Gulls honestly, kind of dumb having two teams named the Admirals. Reminds me of the CFL having like 6 or 7 teams and two of them were called the Roughriders.

DaDucks*

I'll be there man...

images

I wonder if the train lets off around the arena

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So excited, it's all official and some junk!

Murray's comments gave me warm fuzzies, really brought home the benefit of having an AHL team close to home.

I'm for the Gulls, it just fits so well with the parent club's theme, and seems like a nod to the SD fans. Admirals works great, but no need for the redundant usage with Milwaukee anymore. Besides, we're already taking Norfolk's team, let them keep their brand. I really hope they don't go with the boring "San Diego Ducks". I get that it's not uncommon to go that route between AHL/NHL teams, but come on, give them their own identity.

I hadn't really thought about proximity as a way of keeping the prospects connected to the big club, mentally speaking, but it makes sense as a benefit.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Its actually 10 min farther for me to go to the "Gulls" than to see the Ducks play, but if I get Seaworld passes (like I did with Disneyland this season) it would be worth it to spend the entire day down there. Its also a much easier drive than the 91.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad