2015-16 AHL affiliate - San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
This is great news for ANA as well as for the growth of the sport in CA. Next step is to get some CA Pac-12 teams to join Arizona State in joining D1 hockey. :nod:

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
It would be to those who are "outdoor" averse. :laugh:

A better question might be are trains running after the game is over that would allow one to get back to the OC?

How much will they fleece you on parking is the question...

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
FWIW They've already trademarked the name San Diego Admirals. The link is somewhere in the Business Forum. Not sure which page of the thread it's on.

I think that's more to cover all of their bases than a clear indication of what the team name will be. Lance Pugmire tweeted that the Ducks are close to finalizing Gulls as the name. But in case Admirals gets popular they have that option but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I think that's more to cover all of their bases than a clear indication of what the team name will be. Lance Pugmire tweeted that the Ducks are close to finalizing Gulls as the name. But in case Admirals gets popular they have that option but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

There was an article the other day asking people what name they would want, and last I saw, the polling was like 80-85% for Gulls. I think they'll go that route.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I'm very pleased about this development.

One, the prospects are much closer to Anaheim and that's a great thing for both teams. (Also I get to see them, which I am super stoked about!).

Also, this is going to create some stability. Anaheim desperately needs that with its minor league affiliate. Also, since Anaheim owns the team now as well, it will be able to do whatever it wants with the franchise.

It sucks for Norfolk and it is unfortunate this is the way it had to happen, but what can you do?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
On the downside... the other four teams who are moving West are ALL in playoff position right now, where the NorAds are worst in the East and 2nd-worst in the AHL. Given that they'll be playing a LARGE portion of their games against the four playoff-position teams in their division... this doesn't bode well for the Gulls' place in the standings this first season.

Even more reason for the local management team to market the _frak_ out of the whole night's experience as entertainment. The WCHL team had dominant records as a reason to bring people to the arena -- this team doesn't look like it'll have that luxury.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
On the downside... the other four teams who are moving West are ALL in playoff position right now, where the NorAds are worst in the East and 2nd-worst in the AHL. Given that they'll be playing a LARGE portion of their games against the four playoff-position teams in their division... this doesn't bode well for the Gulls' place in the standings this first season.

Even more reason for the local management team to market the _frak_ out of the whole night's experience as entertainment. The WCHL team had dominant records as a reason to bring people to the arena -- this team doesn't look like it'll have that luxury.

There's also a lot of roster turnover year to year though. Just because they haven't been great this year isn't any indication they won't be more competitive next year in San Diego. Plus, guys like Theodore, Ritchie, Welinski, etc. will likely be with the Ads/Gulls by then.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
They are also in talks to make the developing rink in Poway, which I didn't even know was being built, the practice facility. That gives San Diego 6 public rinks! That's just crazy.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Man, didn't think it was going to be this big.

As for the name, I know there's an attachment to the Gulls, but if they kept the Admirals name it would make sense as well, with San Diego being a big Navy town.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Man, didn't think it was going to be this big.

As for the name, I know there's an attachment to the Gulls, but if they kept the Admirals name it would make sense as well, with San Diego being a big Navy town.

Yeah, but I don't want two Admirals in the same conference, let alone the same league.

Nosedive

Apr 4, 2014
If the organization wants to appeal to San Diego's navy-side, then change the name to Mariners. The San Diego Mariners were a WHA team.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
The San Diego Gulls were once under the Ducks wings, Denny Lambert comes to mind, and I'd like them to keep that name, if only for nostalgia purposes.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What is the majority fanbase in SD?

I heard Canadien teams aree popular there. How are the Kings? Most importantly - how are the Ducks there?

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010

Why would that matter? Isn't the entire move west about more practice time, easier call ups and saving dollars under the CAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad