WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Gauthier blows.

Personally I get Gauthier making the team, what I don't get is how many smallish centers does this team need(Domi, Petan, Point, Fabbri). One or 2 of those guys should have been cut

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
No issue with the selections. Haven't seen most of these guys played like most posters.

MDC skating isn't up to par to this level of play, he's like a Mark Stone almost if I had to put a comparison, and he might shine with the puck on his stick coming down the wing, but on the forecheck and winning battles, doesn't seem to be the player that'll do that seems soft also. Just basing this on tonight, and to be honest, doesn't matter what he does in the OHL, that Hockey is way too slow compared to this level, and he's not going to have any chance of powerplay/top 6 minutes, so there's superior options.

One of the few that saw the promise of Crouse it seems so I don't mind the selection.

Canada has plenty of swift skating dmen, so can see why they cut Fleury, Heatherington with his size and strength and reach will be able to win puck battles and add a physical element Fleury can't match. Good variety with the already agile d corps.

Can't wait to see the full line up in action.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Personally I get Gauthier making the team, what I don't get is how many smallish centers does this team need(Domi, Petan, Point, Fabbri). One or 2 of those guys should have been cut
And who would replacd two of those guys? 17 year olds?

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I think Canada kept Richie just for the US games alone. I'm sure Canada's message to him is to punish the living hell out of their defense; Something that Dal Colle can't do. Once McDavid, Lazar, and Petan are in the lineup and playing, I think people will see why MDC was snubbed as those top 2 lines are going to eat a metric ton of minutes.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Three scoring lines, one shutdown line. There are spots for exceptional talents like Marner and Strome, atleast an invite so they get an opportunity to compete for those spots. Dal Colle who would have been the best goalscorer on that team should have made that team.

Canada is a country that can out-skill any other team in the tournament yet they insist on lowering themselves to the competition by taking some of these guys they end up taking every year.

Canada has a lot of finishers Fabbri, Virtanen,Petan, Lazar, Domi have all had 40 goal seasons in junior

Crouse led Canada in goal scoring at the Ivan Helinka add to that his intangibles he fits in perfectly in the bottom 6

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
What's with the Crouse hate? I'm VERY upset MDC and Fleury were cut as well, but judging by the last 3 games, Crouse has played extremely well. I would've been pissed if they cut him TBH. Stats aren't everything.:p:

HC management made a dumb call by keeping BOTH Gauthier and Ritchie however....EXTREMELY DUMB.:shakehead

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not sure why some folks are criticizing the Crouse selection and Dal Colle being cut, as though one made the other happen. They weren't going to play the same role, so Crouse didn't take MDC's spot. MDC lost out on a scoring line role to one of the other wingers on lines 1 to 3, not to Crouse, who will be playing a banging/defensive role on the 4th line or as the 13th forward.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Gauthier for the C
Lazar A
Nurse A

giphy.gif

C - Lazar
A - Morrissey
A - Reinhart

--------------------

Other candidates for A's:

McDavid
Hicketts
Domi
Duclair
Bowey

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Cutting Canada's best skating defenseman could be a mistake. Don't mind the other cuts.

Agreed, I think fleury played ok and he is an awesome skater.

However for a year after going in the top 10 of the draft he has had a really up and down season.

Fleury has been a healthy scratch for the rebels a few times this season already.

AFTeRMaTH*

However for a year after going in the top 10 of the draft he has had a really up and down season.

Fleury has been a healthy scratch for the rebels a few times this season already.

Yeah if they kept Fleury then they should of kept Sanheim. Both drafted same class, great skaters, BUT Sanheim has had the better season.

Sawchuk

Nov 15, 2009
Victoria, BC
I've always found it interesting how the perception of the importance of a player's age is conveyed in a December tournament when the cutoff for the draft is in September. For instance, McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin are much closer in age to Dal Colle and Fleury than Dal Colle and Fleury are to the likes of Reinhart or Richie; and yet, there is such a stigma associated with 'undrafted' players making a team or high recent draft picks being cut. I expect both of these 'cuts' to have as great or greater an impact than Richie and possibly even Reinhart in next year's tourney when they are the same age as Reinhart and Richie are now.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Up and down from a point production standpoint yes.

But the second part is untrue. He was released from Carolina back to Red Deer Oct. 2nd and played 27 of 28 games through December 6th. Following that was Canada's camp. The only game he missed was against Regina due to injury he suffered against Brandon.

snizzbone*

giphy.gif

C - Lazar
A - Morrissey
A - Reinhart

--------------------

Other candidates for A's:

McDavid
Hicketts
Domi
Duclair
Bowey

Gauthier was the C for the SSS games he played in, so it's not entirely out of the question for him to get a letter. But the C is definitely between Lazar and Reinhart.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not sure how Dal Colle got cut, but considering Strome and Marner weren't even invited it doesn't surprise me.

not fast enough and redundant.

Same Reason why Claude Giroux didn't make team Canada last year. They had enough pure offensive players already, the team needs to be balanced, out Dal Cole was the "weakest link" when it came pure offensive players. Of course he's probably a better hockey player then Ritchie.... Ritchie brings toughness, and he actually does bring skill and intimidation. There is plenty and more then enough offence, for us to cut Dal cole. You can't have 12 lines of pure offensive guys, and no toughness.

Dal Cole although he was ok, made a couple good plays... speed is not that great.

but a little surprised he got cut.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Up and down from a point production standpoint yes.

But the second part is untrue. He was released from Carolina back to Red Deer Oct. 2nd and played 27 of 28 games through December 6th. Following that was Canada's camp. The only game he missed was against Regina due to injury he suffered against Brandon.

I heard it from either Ray Ferraro or Bob Mckenzie on TSN, when they said he was healthy scratch a couple times.

Really have no idea about the situation just reporting on what they said about him.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I heard it from either Ray Ferraro or Bob Mckenzie on TSN, when they said he was healthy scratch a couple times.

Really have no idea about the situation just reporting on what they said about him.

Oh I believe you no doubt, they're just wrong. It sounded sketchy to me since I've watched a lot of their games.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I would have preferred MDC making it over Ritchie, but to be fair, neither were that impressive. I think on D it was between Fleury and Heatherington making the team and Heatherington outplayed him too. It's too bad that they didn't take a talent like MDC, but I'd prefer them base their selection on what the guys have proven in camp and the exhibition games rather than their draft position and what they've done this season.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I've always found it interesting how the perception of the importance of a player's age is conveyed in a December tournament when the cutoff for the draft is in September. For instance, McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin are much closer in age to Dal Colle and Fleury than Dal Colle and Fleury are to the likes of Reinhart or Richie; and yet, there is such a stigma associated with 'undrafted' players making a team or high recent draft picks being cut. I expect both of these 'cuts' to have as great or greater an impact than Richie and possibly even Reinhart in next year's tourney when they are the same age as Reinhart and Richie are now.
It's not about age, it's about draft class and experience. 17 year olds are at a disadvantage because they only have one CHL season under their belt compared to the guys who have already been drafted like MDC, who are already in their 3rd season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lmao Canada cuts their best goalscorer in Dal Colle. Just pathetic.

How did Crouse even get invited to Team Canada? Most overrated player out there and it's beyond frustrating. Kid gets 16 points in 24 games and gets invited to team Canada because he's 6'3". Get out of here. Points aren't everything but he's 17 years old and he's not even close to an exceptional talent which you normally have to be to even get an invite. Marner and Strome for example are 10x the player Crouse is but they don't even get invited.

I don't get this team. Never do. But it's no surprise how poorly we have been doing lately.

Every scout I know that watches Crouse completely disagrees with you. Stop looking at points and watch the player.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Well, can't say that I agree with a few of those final cuts, but then again, I never am fully on board with what the dough-heads are doing at Hockey Canada anyway....

but, oh well and C'est la vie and all that jazz..... they are on the team now, time to cheer for my boys and hope for the best result...hopefully our goaltending will actually give us a tournament for a change.

Oh, and if this tournament goes south, I suggest to everybody here to criticize those who actually deserve the criticism!! not the players, but the dough-heads at Hockey Canada who are, more often than not, CLUELESS. Scott Salmond and his merry band of ne'er-do-wells...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad