2014 World Junior Thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think the US will beat Russia and eventually get to the gold game. Canada will obviously route Denmark and Czech.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Looks like HF posters are big fans of Bjorkstrand. On the WJC board, there is a thread "Top 10 players so far". Most have him in the top 5.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Milano-Johansen-Bjorkstrand :nod:

And on the pp
Milano-Johansen-Foligno
Bjorkstrand-Reilly?!? ;) ( hey I can dream right?!)

People on the mains seem to be disappointed with Milano for some reason? I haven't watched a single USA game but what did they expect with him playing on the 3rd line? And he's still producing. I really hope they put him back on Eichels wing for the rest of the tourney.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
And on the pp
Milano-Johansen-Foligno
Bjorkstrand-Reilly?!? ;) ( hey I can dream right?!)

People on the mains seem to be disappointed with Milano for some reason? I haven't watched a single USA game but what did they expect with him playing on the 3rd line? And he's still producing. I really hope they put him back on Eichels wing for the rest of the tourney.

He hasn't played bad or good. Been average for him, IMO. I agree they should put him on the 1st line.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I agree Bjorkstrand looks awesome at this level. I am with those who believe Milano has to put on some muscle before he gets to the NHL level and be a top line player. Larkin and Tuch are also impressive.........who turns out to be the best player will probably be the one who works the hardest and wants to succeed in the NHL the most.

Either way the World Juniors are exciting and a great avenue for fans to watch their teams prospects.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree Bjorkstrand looks awesome at this level. I am with those who believe Milano has to put on some muscle before he gets to the NHL level and be a top line player. Larkin and Tuch are also impressive.........who turns out to be the best player will probably be the one who works the hardest and wants to succeed in the NHL the most.

Either way the World Juniors are exciting and a great avenue for fans to watch their teams prospects.

He has the best offensive potential of the 3 by miles but the only issue is if he's not putting points on the boards then hes not doing anything. That will be an area he will need to improve big time when learning to be a pro

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Despite the point production Milano is putting up in the O and WJC... I bet I'm in minority when I say this but I truly believe he has a lot of developing to do. Like some have said... must and I mean MUST gain muscle mass. He gets knocked off the puck easily. People say his defensive game has become better this year... I still don't see his play off the puck being that great. On the flip side, his vision on the ice is extraordinary.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Despite the point production Milano is putting up in the O and WJC... I bet I'm in minority when I say this but I truly believe he has a lot of developing to do. Like some have said... must and I mean MUST gain muscle mass. He gets knocked off the puck easily. People say his defensive game has become better this year... I still don't see his play off the puck being that great. On the flip side, his vision on the ice is extraordinary.

He's always been considered a raw offensive player but all the talent is there to be a great player. Just needs to put in the work to bring it together. Thats why there was such a debate on University vs CHL. A lot of people thought University would have helped him become a pro off the ice faster but the CHL route is the fast track to the NHL. I haven't really looked yet but I think i remember him being able to go to the AHL next year so a year of that plus another couple rookie/training camps and he'll learn

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's always been considered a raw offensive player but all the talent is there to be a great player. Just needs to put in the work to bring it together. Thats why there was such a debate on University vs CHL. A lot of people thought University would have helped him become a pro off the ice faster but the CHL route is the fast track to the NHL. I haven't really looked yet but I think i remember him being able to go to the AHL next year so a year of that plus another couple rookie/training camps and he'll learn

He doesn't turn 20 until 2016 so I think he is back in juniors next year unless he makes the team.

Edit: Unless he wasn't drafted by Plymouth but just signed with them after signing with the Jackets? I tried researching this couldn't find where he'd ever been drafted by Plymouth.

Finally found this:

Milano was originally drafted by Plymouth in the fourth round (81st overall) during the 2012 OHL draft.

So I think that means he is not eligible for the A until 2016.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
He doesn't turn 20 until 2016 so I think he is back in juniors next year unless he makes the team.

Edit: Unless he wasn't drafted by Plymouth but just signed with them after signing with the Jackets? I tried researching this couldn't find where he'd ever been drafted by Plymouth.

Finally found this:

Milano was originally drafted by Plymouth in the fourth round (81st overall) during the 2012 OHL draft.

So I think that means he is not eligible for the A until 2016.

He's eligible right now, on account of being drafted out of the USHL, although I think he'll likely still be playing int he OHL next season.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Not impressed with the USA coach. He needs to put his best offensive players together for the second period and go for it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's eligible right now, on account of being drafted out of the USHL, although I think he'll likely still be playing int he OHL next season.

Okay, so the difference isn't that he was drafted by Plymouth but that he wasn't there when he was drafted.

And I agree that he most likely is in the OHL next year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not impressed with the USA coach. He needs to put his best offensive players together for the second period and go for it.

I have read several comments on the mains to this effect throughout the tournament.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For a very meh Russian team in back to back years, they really come to play against the US all the time. US dominated the entire game but the penalties were killer. Russia converted and played well enough when it mattered most. They're going to get rolled vs Sweden or Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad