OT: 2014 World championship

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
USA out loses to Czech Republic 4-3
Russia leading France 3-0 in 3rd.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Stop bringing scrubs and "developing" players.

So stupid.

At least Turris made them look like chumps.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Oh well...good for Kyle to gain that experience. Shouldn't expect much when Scrivens and Reimer are your goalie options.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
We outshot them 42-16 and outplayed them badly. In a lot of ways, it was actually Canada's best game of the tournament.

Looks like the schedule maker didn't do us any favours. Finland has has a shaky round robin and dropped to fourth, so we get them in the quarter finals, while Sweden gets Belarus. We actually would have been better off letting Sweden win the pool. Same thing happened to us last year, when we won our Pool but ended up having to play Sweden in the QFs.

Now, Finland doesn't have a very strong roster with only a small handful of NHLers, but they are significantly better than Belarus, and they have Pekka Rinne. Canada absolutely has to play Scrivens and ride him the rest of the way...

LOL.....I know I know, hindsight is 20/20.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was checking out the game every now and then and Canada seemed to be playing rather well

Finland made the most of the Myers **** up, it happens

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Was just checking the IIHF site... noticed these are their proposed changes:
to standardize the dimensions of the ice surface
to move the goal line closer to the end of the rink (from 4 to 3.3 metres)
to move the blue line in order to standardize and also increase the offensive zones
to remove the “cheater piece” of goalkeepers’ catching gloves
to double the penalty for goalkeeper interference to 2+2 minutes
to penalize any deliberate grabbing, twisting or holding of an opponent’s head with a major penalty
to forbid bass drums at ice rinks in addition to air horns and whistles already mentioned in the current rule book.
that goalkeepers cannot freeze the puck if the shot originates from outside the blue line

There will also be controversial major rule proposals for discussions such as proposals to reinstate the red-line offside or to introduce touch icing.

Several rule changes determined as minor and housekeeping will be voted en bloc including the definition of an ice surface as surface made of frozen water, that players taller than two metres can request exceptions for a longer shaft of the stick, to allow and include one-piece catching gloves, a new rule for slew-footing to distinguish from the tripping rule and a new rule for broken sticks that allows to get new sticks to be handed only at the player bench except for goalkeepers, who can receive a new goalkeeper stick from a teammate.

Some interesting ideas there... be curious to see the implementation if approved on some of them.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I don't really know what to say about the rule changes on larger ice. If those changes were to happen in the NHL, all but the red line offside sound good. I don't understand the last sticking handing one though.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Meaning a forward can not give his stick to a dman in the case that the dman's stick breaks.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I give a ringing endorsement to Scrivens and he soils the sheets. Knew it. Once again, Canada badly outshoots and outchances an opponent but gets done in by goaltending. Rinne is a top shelf NHL goalie, and Ben Scrivens is, well, Ben Scrivens. I shouldn't take this tournament as seriously as I do, but it is still frustrating to see Canada losing to a clearly inferior opponent. We should have run Finland out of the rink...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I give a ringing endorsement to Scrivens and he soils the sheets. Knew it. Once again, Canada badly outshoots and outchances an opponent but gets done in by goaltending. Rinne is a top shelf NHL goalie, and Ben Scrivens is, well, Ben Scrivens. I shouldn't take this tournament as seriously as I do, but it is still frustrating to see Canada losing to a clearly inferior opponent. We should have run Finland out of the rink...

I still don't get how those two were our only options. I mean I understand that there are very little superstars at the worlds for Canada, but it shouldn't be that hard to get one stud in nets me thinks.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I still don't get how those two were our only options. I mean I understand that there are very little superstars at the worlds for Canada, but it shouldn't be that hard to get one stud in nets me thinks.

Well we brought Justin Peters as well!! :sarcasm:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I can't believe this is the 5th year in a row we lost in the Quarters.....:cry:

Hockey Canada only cares about the Olympics, and if they do well there, then they will coast by for the next four years.

So get ready for 4 more years of mediocrity at the WJHC and the WHC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad