2014 Wild Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
luckily there isnt only one correct formula to win the cup so im not real worried about our centers not being as elite as others. a team wins the cup not one guy. if we keep improving good things will happen. unless we get a goalie to stand on their head im just hoping we win 2 rounds next years playoffs.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
luckily there isnt only one correct formula to win the cup so im not real worried about our centers not being as elite as others. a team wins the cup not one guy. if we keep improving good things will happen. unless we get a goalie to stand on their head im just hoping we win 2 rounds next years playoffs.

Solid defense across the forwards and defense with a fundamental mixture of offense among them as well will go a very long way.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
One more progression step by Granlund and Haula, and the Wild will have one of the best 1-2-3 centers in not only the division, but the league.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeo just challenged Greenlay, Gorg, and LaPanta for the Ice Bucket challenge. Check is in the mail, coach! And Falness challenged Zucker's dog. WTH?!

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
uggg.

okay, how about everyone who does it donates one day's wage to ALS research? Think of the funding they'd have. Awareness is great and all, but when you consider how much press and how many tweets and facebook posts are dedicated to this, a few million dollars doesn't seem like enough. working with a non-profit made me more cynical than when i started. Crosby could have matched the total with ~30 games worth of salary. Just an example--i know a lot of these guys have different causes, but I can't help but feel that the pot should be a lot higher if some of the big money guys out there tooting it's horn would pony up big money instead of just pouring ice on their heads. Matt Lauer makes $25,000,000 a year and he only works 4 days a week for ****sake. Again, not picking on specific people but with all the athletes, television, and film stars out there...

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
uggg.

okay, how about everyone who does it donates one day's wage to ALS research? Think of the funding they'd have. Awareness is great and all, but when you consider how much press and how many tweets and facebook posts are dedicated to this, a few million dollars doesn't seem like enough. working with a non-profit made me more cynical than when i started. Crosby could have matched the total with ~30 games worth of salary. Just an example--i know a lot of these guys have different causes, but I can't help but feel that the pot should be a lot higher if some of the big money guys out there tooting it's horn would pony up big money instead of just pouring ice on their heads. Matt Lauer makes $25,000,000 a year and he only works 4 days a week for ****sake. Again, not picking on specific people but with all the athletes, television, and film stars out there...

I read compared to the annual donations for around this time last year they're up something like %5800 so while it could always be better and of course needs more recognition it's actually doing some good. Not gonna lie up till this ice bucket challenge I wasn't even sure what a.l.s. was besides my initials. Every time those "fight a.l.s." commercials would come on my girlfriend would poke me in the sides and playfully push me cuz she was "just doin what the t.v. told her to do". It may not be the best thing anyone has ever done for a cause but it is something and that's better than nothing.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I read compared to the annual donations for around this time last year they're up something like %5800 so while it could always be better and of course needs more recognition it's actually doing some good. Not gonna lie up till this ice bucket challenge I wasn't even sure what a.l.s. was besides my initials. Every time those "fight a.l.s." commercials would come on my girlfriend would poke me in the sides and playfully push me cuz she was "just doin what the t.v. told her to do". It may not be the best thing anyone has ever done for a cause but it is something and that's better than nothing.

i agree it's better than nothing--but it comes off as phony. more low-cost PR for a lot of the big names than anything else. yeah, i'm pretty cynical.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
i agree it's better than nothing--but it comes off as phony. more low-cost PR for a lot of the big names than anything else. yeah, i'm pretty cynical.

A bunch of hockey players donating money won't find a cure; in the large scheme of things, the couple million they donate would only be a drop in the bucket. Spreading awareness through viral videos online will likely generate more money, PLUS awareness. Ultimately, I think awareness for a disease leads to a cure.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
A bunch of hockey players donating money won't find a cure; in the large scheme of things, the couple million they donate would only be a drop in the bucket. Spreading awareness through viral videos online will likely generate more money, PLUS awareness. Ultimately, I think awareness for a disease leads to a cure.
If by awareness you mean popularity, then yes, it's decidedly helpful. It took AIDS research a long time to get properly funded but man has it come a long way. But the gates foundation alone has donated over 1 billion after the cause slipped into the background. It was a novel way to get it into the spotlight, but I'm afraid this time next year ALS will be all but forgotten by 90% of the people driving the social media traffic.
I'm not dissing koivu or praise or anyone--mikko is very generous in the community. I'm just whining that it's a cause celeb and--cynically--expressing my misgivings. The more popular a cause, the more wasteful bureaucracy springs up around it, the more donations go to support the bureaucracy, etc.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I really like our off-season more and more every time I see that list of subtractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad