Prospect Info: 2014 Traverse City Tournament – 0-3-1, 8th Place

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@BuffaloSabres: Zadorov on Reinhart: "I think he’s one of the best centers I’ve played with in my life. He’s so easy to play with." http://t.co/5YXfA5R8OZ

Watching the interview, he went on to talk about how Reinhart is always a few feet away ready to take a pass, presumably talking about the defensive zone. That puck support is something the big club's needed for a while.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Maybe he specifically hates Russians?

Or just Grigorenko. This is the first Ive heard of him getting on Zadorov.

Kind of like Rob Ray having a whipping boy. Although Ray's whipping boy is some obscure prospect named Greg O'Renko.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Or just Grigorenko. This is the first Ive heard of him getting on Zadorov.

Kind of like Rob Ray having a whipping boy. Although Ray's whipping boy is some obscure prospect named Greg O'Renko.

Hamilton seemed impressed by this "Fob Ree" character who scored on us but I'm not sure how he feels about the Russian "Barbosh-shev".

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Hamilton seemed impressed by this "Fob Ree" character who scored on us but I'm not sure how he feels about the Russian "Barbosh-shev".

And everyone in Buffalo called Lydman by the wrong pronunciation for years, so I'm not going to panic over our beat reporter not knowing the perfect (we think) pronunciation of every prospect's name in the league.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
And everyone in Buffalo called Lydman by the wrong pronunciation for years, so I'm not going to panic over our beat reporter not knowing the perfect (we think) pronunciation of every prospect's name in the league.

I have to admit, it feels good to stop panicking.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Kennedy's summary of the Buffalo prospects at the tournament. The favorable reviews sync with observations from other outlets and users:
Vaclav Karabacek, RW – Any time Karabacek got the puck, he seemed to move at double speed. Real fun to watch, he’s got a ton of skill and flash. He can get picked on in scrums, but that’s what brawnier linemates are for.

Brady Austin, D – My most pleasant Buffalo surprise. Austin is a mammoth of a D-man, but he can move pretty well and showed some offensive flair. Ultimately, he’ll be known more for his physicality and defense, but at least he has another dimension to him.

Justin Bailey, RW – I overheard two scouts from another team talking about Bailey and they were impressed. He clearly has a lot of skill and speed, while that 6-foot-4 frame is a great asset. He made need a couple more years of development, but the upside is very high.

Joel Armia, LW – One of the more experienced players here, Armia made that evident. He had some very dangerous rushes and though he didn’t pot one, it was not for lack of effort. Mixed it up in front of the net a lot too.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Bailey gets overlooked a lot around here, yet he gets a lot of mentions from the people who count. Nolan talked him up at the prospect camp, and he's been getting a lot of hype for his play in Traverse City. I've got high hopes that he's going to turn into a pretty good player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Bailey can put together the sort of run Baptiste did off his camp/tournie successes last year, it would go a long way. At this point he remains a collection of very intriguing skills but one that needs to unpack the whole toolbox nightly. If he starts doing that, watch out -- frame and finish would be prime for the bigs.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
On the bright side, it's nice to see them going for higher upside/bust potential players in the 2nd. While there were safer players with better counting numbers than Bailey and Karabacek in their draft years, they took a longer view and bet on themselves that they could develop those kids.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I was gonna post that Armiya roster but I didn't want to have to hear it about how guys like Zykov and Kucherov are wingers not centers. Between that roster, international play, guys like Domi and Horvat in London, CHL Top Prospects game (I assume, don't remember), Subway Series, Sabres games/training camp/dev camp, he's played with plenty of very good players for a 19 year old.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bailey gets overlooked a lot around here, yet he gets a lot of mentions from the people who count. Nolan talked him up at the prospect camp, and he's been getting a lot of hype for his play in Traverse City. I've got high hopes that he's going to turn into a pretty good player.

I don't think that's true. We show Bailey respect as a group but it's also reflective of his boom-bust nature. He's very raw. I really don't think he gets overlooked.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

I'd hardly say he gets overlooked. Perhaps discounted. Maybe if Buffalo was not so deep in prospects it would be different, but they are not.

Really for me, having watched him a few times, I see a real probability of him not being an NHL player, whereas Buffalo has a number of prospects who I think are near locks for the NHL. (Note I saw him early, and he did produce a lot more at the end of the year so maybe he has turned a corner).

Bailey has some upside, I agree, but when it gets to this point in his development I'm expecting to see production, dominance, even from projected 4th liners. He has to stop looking like a good player and start producing like one.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If Bailey can put together the sort of run Baptiste did off his camp/tournie successes last year, it would go a long way. At this point he remains a collection of very intriguing skills but one that needs to unpack the whole toolbox nightly. If he starts doing that, watch out -- frame and finish would be prime for the bigs.

Bailey should Be on a longer or higher trajectory than Baptiste. Bailey jumping from the Jr. Islanders to the OHL is a remarkable concept, and I expect him to be a guy who might even need an overage season in juniors to continue to develop.

But yes, I think he will get there for sure.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bailey should Be on a longer or higher trajectory than Baptiste. Bailey jumping from the Jr. Islanders to the OHL is a remarkable concept, and I expect him to be a guy who might even need an overage season in juniors to continue to develop.

But yes, I think he will get there for sure.

No doubt. Baptiste was drafted 6th overall in 2011 by Sudbury. Bailey? 7th round. Baptiste's OHL career was actually a disappointment leading up to his draft. If he lived up to expectations a bit more he'd likely have been at least a 2nd rounder. Bailey was playing for LaFontaine's Long Island Royals in his pre-draft year, moving to Kitchener in his draft year. Huge difference in career trajectories. He's going to need a couple years in the AHL in all likelihood.

Dan Hickling

Jan 14, 2006
Buffalo
www.flickr.com
Thought Armia showed some jump between the circles, although he wasnt rewarded ... Risto wore the C well and played a man's game ... thought Kea has begun playing up to his size (previous viewings have been at the past three Sabres dev camps) ... Liked the work of Justin Bailey and JST, too ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad