Prospect Info: 2014 Traverse City Tournament – 0-3-1, 8th Place

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
gdt-pt13-top-1.png
gdt-pt13-top-2.png

gdt-pt13-top-3.png
gdt-pt13-top-4.png

GDT: 2014 NHL PROSPECT TOURNAMENT – SEP 12-16 – AUDIO: SABRES.COM – RADIO: WWKB-AMCHAT

Tournament Previews

NHL.com | Sabres.com | D&C | TBN | BHB | Kris Baker | LWL

Tournament Schedule (Full)

Date​
|
Start-End​
|
Event + Lines​
|
Result​
|
Recaps​
|
Videos​
2014/09/12​
|
09:30am-10:15am​
|
Practice​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
2014/09/12​
|
04:00pm-07:00pm​
| | | |
2014/09/13​
|
10:30am-11:15am​
|
Practice​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
2014/09/13​
|
07:00pm-10:00pm​
| | | |
2014/09/14​
|
01:15pm-02:15pm​
|
Practice​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
|
2014/09/15​
|
08:30am-09:15am​
|
Practice​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
2014/09/15​
|
03:00pm-06:00pm​
| | | |
2014/09/16​
|
TBD​
|
Practice​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
|
n/a​
2014/09/16​
|
03:00pm-06:00pm​
| | | |

header-350x60-camp-roster-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

OFFICIAL 2014 NHL PROSPECTS TOURNAMENT ROSTER

15 Forwards + 7 Defense + 2 Goaltenders = 24 Total

No.​
|
Pos.​
| |
Ht.​
|
Wt.​
|
2013-14 Primary Team​
|
Interviews and/or News​
--​
|
HC​
|
Cassidy, Chadd​
|
---​
|
---​
|
Rochester (AHL)​
|
33​
|
RW​
|
Armia, Joel​
|
6.03​
|
205​
|
Rochester (AHL)​
|
.​
67​
|
LD​
|
Austin, Brady​
|
6.04​
|
234​
|
London (OHL)​
|
.​
15​
|
RW​
|
Bailey, Justin​
|
6.04​
|
206​
|
Kitchener (OHL)​
|
73​
|
RW​
|
Baptiste, Nicholas​
|
6.01​
|
204​
|
Sudbury (OHL)​
|
Out, injured right arm last week​
62​
|
RW​
| |
6.00​
|
205​
|
Ottawa (OHL)​
|
.​
60​
|
G​
| |
6.02​
|
165​
|
Quebec (QMJHL)​
|
9/13
48​
|
LW​
|
Carrier, William​
|
6.01​
|
203​
|
Cape Breton (QMJHL)​
|
.​
43​
|
LW​
|
Catenacci, Daniel​
|
5.10​
|
191​
|
Rochester (AHL)​
|
.​
46​
|
RC​
|
Cornel, Eric​
|
6.02​
|
189​
|
Peterborough (OHL)​
|
75​
|
RC​
|
Jacobs, Colin​
|
6.02​
|
206​
|
Rochester (AHL)​
|
.​
70​
|
LW​
| |
5.10​
|
172​
|
Rimouski (QMJHL)​
|
.​
74​
|
RW​
|
Karabacek, Vaclav​
|
6.00​
|
200​
|
Gatineau (QMJHL)​
|
9/12
42​
|
LC​
|
Kea, Justin​
|
6.04​
|
220​
|
Saginaw (OHL)​
|
53​
|
LW​
|
Lemieux, Brendan​
|
6.01​
|
209​
|
Barrie (OHL)​
|
9/12
56​
|
RD​
| |
5.11​
|
193​
|
Rimouski (QMJHL)​
|
.​
35​
|
G​
|
Makarov, Andrey​
|
6.01​
|
193​
|
Fort Wayne (ECHL)​
|
9/12
54​
|
LD​
|
Martin, Brycen​
|
6.02​
|
198​
|
Swift Current (WHL)​
|
.​
29​
|
LD​
|
McCabe, Jake​
|
6.01​
|
211​
|
Wisconsin (NCAA)​
|
9/13
23​
|
RC​
|
Reinhart, Sam​
|
6.01​
|
192​
|
Kootenay (WHL)​
|
55​
|
RD​
|
Ristolainen, Rasmus​
|
6.04​
|
205​
|
Rochester (AHL)​
|
52​
|
RW​
| |
6.02​
|
195​
|
Moose Jaw (WHL)​
|
.​
71​
|
LW​
|
Samuels-Thomas, Jordan​
|
6.03​
|
216​
|
Quinnipiac (NCAA)​
|
.​
83​
|
RD​
| |
5.11​
|
175​
|
Mississauga (OJHL)​
|
.​
51​
|
LD​
|
Zadorov, Nikita​
|
6.05​
|
238​
|
London (OHL)​
|

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
2014 Traverse City Tournament – GM1: Fri Sep 12, 4:00PM ET vs Carolina

2014 TRAVERSE CITY TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED
Buffalo will seek to make championship game for third-straight tournament

The Detroit Red Wings announced Tuesday the schedule and division groupings of the 2014 NHL Prospects Tournament. Buffalo will once again be a participant and will look to make the championship game for the third tournament in a row.

The tournament will be held from Sept. 12-16 at Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City, Michigan.

The Sabres won the tournament in 2011 with a roster that featured players like Marcus Foligno, Luke Adam, Daniel Catenacci and Mark Pysyk.

Last year, 2013 first-round picks Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov played significant roles for the Sabres. Forwards Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, Joel Armia and Justin Bailey, defensemen Jerome Gauthier-Leduc and Chad Ruhwedel and goaltenders Nathan Lieuwen and Andrey Makarov were part of Rochester Americans coach Chadd Cassidy’s squad as well.

Nicholas Baptiste led Buffalo in scoring with seven points (4+3) in four games.

Detroit defeated Buffalo in the title game.

Teams will play each of the three opponents within their division during the round-robin before a crossover on the final day of the tournament, capped off with the first-place finishers in each division meeting for the championship on Sept. 16.

The Ted Lindsay Division will feature Buffalo, Carolina, Dallas and the New York Rangers. Detroit, Columbus, Minnesota and St. Louis will play in the Gordie Howe Division.

Buffalo’s roster will be announced at a later date.
2014 Roster --> http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2014-15 Season/2015 Traverse City Roster.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's too bad the college kids can never make it to this thing. I'd love to see Compher and Fasching in it.

Anyone have a guess as to how many invites we might bring? And which guys are ineligible because of their pro experience?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
4 Hours away and unfortunately I have to work. Disapointing but perhaps they stream the games this year? Doubtful but optimistic.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's too bad the college kids can never make it to this thing. I'd love to see Compher and Fasching in it.

Anyone have a guess as to how many invites we might bring? And which guys are ineligible because of their pro experience?

Pysyk, Girgs, and Grigs cant....If Grigs couldnt last year then Risto and Larsson cant this year.

my guess:

Carrier- Reinhart-Armia
Lemieux-Cornel- Baptiste
Karabacek-Kea- Bailey
Olafsson-Locke-Possler

Zads-Austin
McCabe-Leduc
Martin--???

Ullmark
Makarov
Johansson
Lieuwen

Rest of the roster is filled with Rochester players and tryouts.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Rangers have streamed games in the past, so that might be our best bet.

Actually they aired them on MSG. They do a full production and everything, pretty snazzy. I wish we could just rent their crew for our games since we have an existing relationship with MSG.

They are not in the same division as the Ranger prospects, so unless the Rangers and Sabres make the finals, I don't see how it would be possible.

Which is what happened in... 2012 was it? Or was there not a tournament in 2012 due to the lockout? I think that might've been the case, so probably 2011.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
They are not in the same division as the Ranger prospects, so unless the Rangers and Sabres make the finals, I don't see how it would be possible.
The Ted Lindsay Division will feature Buffalo, Carolina, Dallas and the New York Rangers.
It looks like they are in the same division. They play on Saturday 9/13. Even if they did play in different divisions, they would still have a decent chance of playing in the "playoffs," as each team will play its mirror team from the other division. 4th place vs 4th, 3rd vs 3rd, etc.

Actually they aired them on MSG. They do a full production and everything, pretty snazzy. I wish we could just rent their crew for our games since we have an existing relationship with MSG.
:dunno: They were on MSG, but they streamed them last year, apparently

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It looks like they are in the same division. They play on Saturday 9/13. Even if they did play in different divisions, they would still have a decent chance of playing in the "playoffs," as each team will play its mirror team from the other division. 4th place vs 4th, 3rd vs 3rd, etc.

:dunno: They were on MSG, but they streamed them last year, apparently

Ah, so last year they stopped broadcasting on MSG. It's funny that they did the streams last year, since Ted Black responded to an e-mail from someone on here by saying Traverse doesn't have the "IT infrastructure" to do a reliable stream, which read as BS at face value.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Pysyk, Girgs, and Grigs cant....If Grigs couldnt last year then Risto and Larsson cant this year.

my guess:

Carrier- Reinhart-Armia
Lemieux-Cornel- Baptiste
Karabacek-Kea- Bailey
Olafsson-Locke-Possler

Zads-Austin
McCabe-Leduc
Martin--???

Ullmark
Makarov
Johansson
Lieuwen

Catenacci is on this team for sure.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

my guess:

Carrier- Reinhart-Armia
Lemieux-Cornel- Baptiste
Karabacek-Kea- Bailey
Olafsson-Locke-Possler

Zads-Austin
McCabe-Leduc
Martin--???

Ullmark
Makarov
Johansson
Lieuwen

I don't think we have Locke's rights anymore...correct me if I'm wrong.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I say Olafsson, Possler, Ullmark and Johansson stay in Sweden. I think goalies will be Makarov and Brassard.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Anyone have a guess as to how many invites we might bring?
They have five invitees so far:
G François Brassard (Cape Breton, QMJHL)
D Colton Bobyk (Spokane, WHL)
D Jared Walsh (Mississauga, OHL)
F Jayden Hart (Prince Albert, WHL)
F Michael Joly (Rimouski, QMJHL)

I don't think we have Locke's rights anymore...correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, they relinquished his rights in June.

I say Olafsson, Possler, Ullmark and Johansson stay in Sweden. I think goalies will be Makarov and Brassard.
You would be correct, players under contract in Europe will not be at this tournament as their seasons will have already started.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
They have five invitees so far:
G François Brassard (Cape Breton, QMJHL)
D Colton Bobyk (Spokane, WHL)
D Jared Walsh (Mississauga, OHL)
F Jayden Hart (Prince Albert, WHL)
F Michael Joly

I didn't know about the middle 3.

Crazy to think we don't have enough of our drafted players to fill the roster with so many picks as of late. Understandable though, as we've selected a lot of European and college bound players.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wonder if once Harborcentre is up and running if the Sabres will host their own prospects tournament "Queen City NHL Prospects Tournament"

I know it's something we've talked about on here before. With Traverse City already located in the Great Lakes region, I'm not sure if it'd work, but it's always possible. We have the facilities. The HARBORcenter could not only host the event but provide practice rinks and hotel lodgings. It'd also be great for our whole front office to stroll across the street and get a live viewing of all of these kids -- ours and others.

I'm not sure which teams are out there not participating in any tournament that we could lure. Maybe someone could give concrete info on if there is another tournament besides these three that I know of:

Traverse: Buffalo, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, New York Rangers, St. Louis

Budweiser Gardens (London, ON) Rookie Tournament: Chicago, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto

Young Stars Classic: Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg

16 teams between those tournaments, representing just over half the league. I know there's been the tournament in Florida as well but I tried searching for "2014 Coral Springs Tournament" and all I get is info on last year's. Not sure if that's still a thing or if it relocated.

Edit: Looks like that Coral Springs tournament just moved to Tennessee: Boston, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay. That accounts for 20 teams.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Sabresprospects.com speculates tournament roster

"F

Lemieux - Reinhart - Baptiste
Carrier - Catenacci# - Armia#
Karabacek - Cornell - Bailey
Samuels-Thomas - Kea - (invite)

D

Zadorov - Austin
Martin - McCabe#
Prophet^ - (invite)
(note: these are all LHD)

G
Makarov#
Brassard*

* training camp invitee
# "veteran" spot
^ D-Camp invitee

A few more invites are needed, but that's my best guess at the framework."

- See more at: http://www.sabresprospects.com/2014...erse-2015-draft-and.html#sthash.gUnjytjU.dpuf

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Ah, so last year they stopped broadcasting on MSG. It's funny that they did the streams last year, since Ted Black responded to an e-mail from someone on here by saying Traverse doesn't have the "IT infrastructure" to do a reliable stream, which read as BS at face value.
I do remember the radio feeds last year being shaky at times and if that is giving them problems, I'm sure video will too, so I'm not surprised at the radio only response, but still disappointed. I still expect video highlights posted later from them and the NYR. Also, there was neither a MSG broadcast or stream last year, as that previously mentioned article was misinformation IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad