2014 Training Camps announced

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Korpikoski - Hanzal - Erat
Klinkhammer - Gagner - Moss
Chipchura - Vitale - Crombeen

Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Blackhawks, Wild, Blues, Stars and Avs will destroy this team. #unintentionaltank

Edit: And probably Canucks too.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Believe me, I've already lowered my expectations:

Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Korpikoski - Hanzal - Erat
Klinkhammer - Gagner - Moss
Chipchura - Vitale - Crombeen

Yup, that's what I am expecting to see opening night. Except, I think Domi gets on there for now.

And I think Chip/Moss/Klink can be buried in the AHL because more money was buried for 20+ games last year when Klesla was sent down. I am not saying it will happen, I am saying it very possible if they don't perform well.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Blackhawks, Wild, Blues, Stars and Avs will destroy this team. #unintentionaltank

Edit: And probably Canucks too.

As long as there's a McDavid/Eichel waiting for us at the end of that tunnel, I don't mind if it was intentional or unintentional, haha.

More realistically, I'm still crossing my fingers that Domi + at least one of Lessio/Reider/Hodgeman makes it. But even then they may end up riding the pine or suiting up for 5 mins/a game unless Tippett is pretty much forced to play them. We'd probably have to hope for injuries (and that's something I never want to wish upon a player).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Have to think Domi is going to at least get a look before being sent back to the CHL.

And that will effectively require a "24th" roster spot, meaning someone other then Domi isn't on the opening day 23 player roster.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Have to think Domi is going to at least get a look before being sent back to the CHL.

And that will effectively require a "24th" roster spot, meaning someone other then Domi isn't on the opening day 23 player roster.

McMillan is a two way contract.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Domi will make the team. He'll get the nine games minimum. He needs at least 4 points in those games and not look out of place to keep his spot.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Possibly.... but he played well enough to be there, imo.

Yeah, except he literally cannot go there due to rules that apply to CHL players. The same rules that will likely keep Domi in the NHL this year.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe not on purpose. But with Pi's roster, there isn't a coach alive that would keep this team from finishing in the bottom three.

Except you're forgetting the fact that we have two explosive, dynamic playmakers on the ice for 75%+ of the game with OEL and Yandle, and a goalie that is capable of carrying teams on his own.
The 2010 roster looked WAY worse than this on paper going in and won 50 games. We got surprises like Stempniak, Lombardi and Upshall. ****, no one on that roster even put up more than 55 points. Vrbata only had 43.
My point is that if we EVER expected to have a forward corp that can compete on paper with 90% of the league even, then we are looking in the wrong place. Having skill-only forwards has never been how this team wins, and when we've tried (Ribeiro, Wolski, etc.) it's failed miserably. I'd rather have the roster we do now return to focusing on defense first, and scoring by committee/dman scoring than try to be a more offensive team like last year and get smoked.

Not to mention, pretty much everyone underachieved what they are capable of last season, save a very small minority. If, say, Erat or Moss can prooduce what they have done so in the past, that would be a huge help. Regardless, the offense scoring a bunch of goals is not nearly important as the team's overall defense returning to form. The team operates well much more frequently when forwards play defensively sound and mistake-free rather than having a few guys putting up big numbers. It's already been proven that you can win in this league and not have anybody break 60 points.

Given Pi's roster, there are few changes from last year, but I think two of the BIGGEST problems were addressed. Top line of Doan-Vermette-Boedker is a solid enough line. Doan and Vermy both scored around 25 goals, and Boedker is only getting better and will probably put up around 60 points. Korpi-Hanzal-Erat is a great forechecking, matchup line. Hanzal can put up 50 points if he stays healthy, and Korpi and Erat are both extremely hard workers who have put up 20 goals in defensive systems before. Now the BIG (minor) changes. Third and fourth line centers. This may have been the most understated, crippling issue with the team last year. Ribeiro was an absolute trainwreck, and putting him in a third line capacity made it even worse. Didn't matter who his wings were, they suffered because he was lazy and his faceoffs/defensive incapabilities led to a lot of goals against. Halpern was serviceable at best. I thought he put forth a noble effort, but his age and deteriorating skillset/speed really showed. He won faceoffs, but overall the fourth line suffered because they were unable to provide energy and pin teams down in their own end like we are used to seeing. Chipchura will benefit the most from playing with Vitale, and any of Macmillan, Lessio, Rieder, or Klinkhammer (basically high-energywingers) will flourish on the fourth line. Also, Domi will more than likely make the roster, moving the LWs down the depth chart a bit.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Gagner-Moss
Chipchura-Vitale-Klinkhammer

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Murphy

Smith

Schlemko, Crombeen, Lessio sub in periodically in bottom 6/bottom pairing capacities.

So there's my take. If the team can regain defensive identity, we could surprise a lot of people. However, if the team takes too much of an offensive approach like last year, it will be the race for McDavid/Eichel!

Last edited:

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
My point is that if we EVER expected to have a forward corp that can compete on paper with 90% of the league even, then we are looking in the wrong place. Having skill-only forwards has never been how this team wins, and when we've tried (Ribeiro, Wolski, etc.) it's failed miserably.

I agree with this. These two worked in the short term only. They score some points and everything's great, but when they go cold watch out.

One of the things that we really need is a couple of guys that can score in the shootout. Whether you like it or not, the shootout is part of the game and those extra points can be the difference in making the playoffs. Wish we had someone like Aucoin that would just blow it by the goalie instead of trying to be all cutesy. It ends up looking like how I'd imagine if it was me on the shootout, pretty damn clumsy.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Gagner-Moss

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Murphy

Smith

Gagner will want to go back to Edmonton if his RW is David ****ing Moss :laugh:

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Gagner will want to go back to Edmonton if his RW is David ****ing Moss :laugh:

No kidding. Moss made his last linemate drink is way out of Phoenix.

That vet-only lineup makes me search for the nearest ledge.

I don't care if we even win 50 games - that's gonna be some painful hockey to watch.

Karlkarotte

Jul 24, 2013
For all we know erat is capable of 30+. I don't think we'll be worse than last season. Other teams got better but well still compete with every team in the league. Goals will come. And if they don't at least it's a good draft class

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Here's the glass half full assessment and why this team will make the playoffs this season.

- Doan missed 13 games last year with Rocky Mountain fever, and played some games while still not 100%, yet he still pulled in 23 goals. Bottom line, Doan could and should be more productive this year; plus the added leadership presence.

- Ribeiro's 47 pts in 80 games can easily be replaced by a reinvented Gagne, who last year was on a 45 pt pace for 82 games. He's a 50 pt guy with the right linemates.

- Domi will see significant ice time. Can he replace Verby? Probably not this year, but should add punch to the offense and make our other lines better.

- Hard to find anyone who says bad things about Vitale. Could be the x-factor that makes our bottom six more potent.

- Yotes only missed the playoffs last year by 2 points. A guy like Ribeiro can have a negative effect across the locker room which carries over to the ice. It's not just his own production that dropped off, but quite possibly infected the entire team. Don't underestimate the positive impact of dumping him.

- Murphy and Gormley are more mature and experienced. This is the youngest Coyotes D-corps I can ever remember, but should be fleet of foot and continue to be an offensive threat.

- Samuelsson, Gaudet, Rieder, Lessio, Szwarz, and Hodgman could also be called up at some point, and possibly earn significant ice time with the inevitable injuries.

- Those players will gain valuable experience at the NHL/AHL level which will position the Yotes quite nicely next year when Erat, Moss, Clink, Crombeen, Mcmillan, and Schlemko are all FAs.

Don't book your Cup Finals tickets just yet, but I'm looking forward to the Yotes surprising some teams this year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Except you're forgetting the fact that we have two explosive, dynamic playmakers on the ice for 75%+ of the game with OEL and Yandle, and a goalie that is capable of carrying teams on his own.
The 2010 roster looked WAY worse than this on paper going in and won 50 games. We got surprises like Stempniak, Lombardi and Upshall. ****, no one on that roster even put up more than 55 points. Vrbata only had 43.
My point is that if we EVER expected to have a forward corp that can compete on paper with 90% of the league even, then we are looking in the wrong place. Having skill-only forwards has never been how this team wins, and when we've tried (Ribeiro, Wolski, etc.) it's failed miserably. I'd rather have the roster we do now return to focusing on defense first, and scoring by committee/dman scoring than try to be a more offensive team like last year and get smoked.

Not to mention, pretty much everyone underachieved what they are capable of last season, save a very small minority. If, say, Erat or Moss can prooduce what they have done so in the past, that would be a huge help. Regardless, the offense scoring a bunch of goals is not nearly important as the team's overall defense returning to form. The team operates well much more frequently when forwards play defensively sound and mistake-free rather than having a few guys putting up big numbers. It's already been proven that you can win in this league and not have anybody break 60 points.

Given Pi's roster, there are few changes from last year, but I think two of the BIGGEST problems were addressed. Top line of Doan-Vermette-Boedker is a solid enough line. Doan and Vermy both scored around 25 goals, and Boedker is only getting better and will probably put up around 60 points. Korpi-Hanzal-Erat is a great forechecking, matchup line. Hanzal can put up 50 points if he stays healthy, and Korpi and Erat are both extremely hard workers who have put up 20 goals in defensive systems before. Now the BIG (minor) changes. Third and fourth line centers. This may have been the most understated, crippling issue with the team last year. Ribeiro was an absolute trainwreck, and putting him in a third line capacity made it even worse. Didn't matter who his wings were, they suffered because he was lazy and his faceoffs/defensive incapabilities led to a lot of goals against. Halpern was serviceable at best. I thought he put forth a noble effort, but his age and deteriorating skillset/speed really showed. He won faceoffs, but overall the fourth line suffered because they were unable to provide energy and pin teams down in their own end like we are used to seeing. Chipchura will benefit the most from playing with Vitale, and any of Macmillan, Lessio, Rieder, or Klinkhammer (basically high-energywingers) will flourish on the fourth line. Also, Domi will more than likely make the roster, moving the LWs down the depth chart a bit.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Gagner-Moss

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Murphy

Smith

Schlemko, Crombeen, Lessio sub in periodically in bottom 6/bottom pairing capacities.

So there's my take. If the team can regain defensive identity, we could surprise a lot of people. However, if the team takes too much of an offensive approach like last year, it will be the race for McDavid/Eichel!

Well said and I totally agree. This team has to be about solid D, the PK, and Goal tending. Scoring has to come off of mistakes and a good PP. I think Summers/Schlemko/lessio/Hodgman and a few others will see plenty of ice time. One dimensional loafers like Ribs do not fit our identity. I also think Bods/Hanzal/OEL/Yandle/Gagner could all have better production numbers than last year. Add Domi and 30 or so points, and we should have enough offense.

It will all boil down to Smith, team D, and the PK being solid for us to make the playoffs, not scoring. All the teams in the west that added talent was mostly production related. It looks good on paper but nobody improved their D or goal tending in a nominal or large way. It will be interesting to see if we get our identity back now that Ribs is gone and with the changes made so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad