2014 Training Camps announced

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Interesting thing with Hodgman. If he can be someone like Robert Lang in 09/10 and roll the 3rd line then we can move Gagner into top 6 RW

Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Domi - Hanzal - Gagner
Korpi - Hodgman - Erat
McMillan - Vitale - Moss

Mister Gagner can return at C pos. at any time or in the injury situations.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Interesting thing with Hodgman. If he can be someone like Robert Lang in 09/10 and roll the 3rd line then we can move Gagner into top 6 RW

Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Domi - Hanzal - Gagner
Korpi - Hodgman - Erat
McMillan - Vitale - Moss

Mister Gagner can return at C pos. at any time or in the injury situations.

How about this lineup with the same players you mentioned:

Boedker - Vermette - Gagner (Adds a playmaker to this line in Gagner)
Domi - Hanzal - Doan (Adds a shooter to this line in Doan)
Korpi - Hodgman - Erat (This is an intriguing line . . . .)
McMillan - Vitale - Moss

Crombeen / Chipchura

Can't they just give Klinkhammer away . . . . for anything?!?!?

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Except you're forgetting the fact that we have two explosive, dynamic playmakers on the ice for 75%+ of the game with OEL and Yandle, and a goalie that is capable of carrying teams on his own.
The 2010 roster looked WAY worse than this on paper going in and won 50 games. We got surprises like Stempniak, Lombardi and Upshall. ****, no one on that roster even put up more than 55 points. Vrbata only had 43.
My point is that if we EVER expected to have a forward corp that can compete on paper with 90% of the league even, then we are looking in the wrong place. Having skill-only forwards has never been how this team wins, and when we've tried (Ribeiro, Wolski, etc.) it's failed miserably. I'd rather have the roster we do now return to focusing on defense first, and scoring by committee/dman scoring than try to be a more offensive team like last year and get smoked.

Not to mention, pretty much everyone underachieved what they are capable of last season, save a very small minority. If, say, Erat or Moss can prooduce what they have done so in the past, that would be a huge help. Regardless, the offense scoring a bunch of goals is not nearly important as the team's overall defense returning to form. The team operates well much more frequently when forwards play defensively sound and mistake-free rather than having a few guys putting up big numbers. It's already been proven that you can win in this league and not have anybody break 60 points.

Given Pi's roster, there are few changes from last year, but I think two of the BIGGEST problems were addressed. Top line of Doan-Vermette-Boedker is a solid enough line. Doan and Vermy both scored around 25 goals, and Boedker is only getting better and will probably put up around 60 points. Korpi-Hanzal-Erat is a great forechecking, matchup line. Hanzal can put up 50 points if he stays healthy, and Korpi and Erat are both extremely hard workers who have put up 20 goals in defensive systems before. Now the BIG (minor) changes. Third and fourth line centers. This may have been the most understated, crippling issue with the team last year. Ribeiro was an absolute trainwreck, and putting him in a third line capacity made it even worse. Didn't matter who his wings were, they suffered because he was lazy and his faceoffs/defensive incapabilities led to a lot of goals against. Halpern was serviceable at best. I thought he put forth a noble effort, but his age and deteriorating skillset/speed really showed. He won faceoffs, but overall the fourth line suffered because they were unable to provide energy and pin teams down in their own end like we are used to seeing. Chipchura will benefit the most from playing with Vitale, and any of Macmillan, Lessio, Rieder, or Klinkhammer (basically high-energywingers) will flourish on the fourth line. Also, Domi will more than likely make the roster, moving the LWs down the depth chart a bit.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Erat
Korpi-Gagner-Moss
Chipchura-Vitale-Klinkhammer

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Murphy

Smith

Schlemko, Crombeen, Lessio sub in periodically in bottom 6/bottom pairing capacities.

So there's my take. If the team can regain defensive identity, we could surprise a lot of people. However, if the team takes too much of an offensive approach like last year, it will be the race for McDavid/Eichel!

Good post, but I don't think that is a playoff team. You have a lot of if's in there. I don't think we underachieved last year, I think we played to our talent level. I hope DT and DM make a point by starting at least two rookies this year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We've made the playoffs before with worse rosters on paper. Don't discount Tippett's ability to overachieve.

I'm optimistic and intrigued. I'm genuinely excited by our prospect group. I've already purchased the AHL Portland package.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
What if Hodgman makes the team?

Could this work?

Gagner - Vermette - Boedker
Domi - hanzal - Doan
Korpikoski - Hodgman - Erat
Chipchura - Vitale - one of many players here.

Could this work?

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
We keep talking about whether Klinkhammer vs Hodgeman etc. will make a big difference but...

The way I see it is Mike Smith should feel a world of pressure right now. We certainly dont have a roster to try and compete offensively and its pretty obvious by DM/Tip statements and roster makeup that we want to get back to that defensive identity.

If you look at all the goaltenders with 20+ games last year, Mike smith was 28th in the league in save percentage, and he had some bad stretches.

Is Smith going to go back to the calibur he played at in his one good year and win games 1-0 for us consistently over an 82 games so that we might have any sort of chance at keeping up with Chi, Stl, Ana, SJ, Dal, Col, Min?

I hope so. Not holding my breath though... God help us if we start seeing #freedubnyk :laugh:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We keep talking about whether Klinkhammer vs Hodgeman etc. will make a big difference but...

The way I see it is Mike Smith should feel a world of pressure right now. We certainly dont have a roster to try and compete offensively and its pretty obvious by DM/Tip statements and roster makeup that we want to get back to that defensive identity.

If you look at all the goaltenders with 20+ games last year, Mike smith was 28th in the league in save percentage, and he had some bad stretches.

Is Smith going to go back to the calibur he played at in his one good year and win games 1-0 for us consistently over an 82 games so that we might have any sort of chance at keeping up with Chi, Stl, Ana, SJ, Dal, Col, Min?

I hope so. Not holding my breath though... God help us if we start seeing #freedubnyk :laugh:

Smith being good is a given if we're going to compete at all. If not, at least we are in the Mcdavid/Eichel lottery.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
Every year we are predicted for dead last in conference. Every year we compete for playoffs. Why is this year different?

Because for some reason people thought we were going to get Crosby or something this offseason. And since we didn't everyone is all doom and gloom.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Because for some reason people thought we were going to get Crosby or something this offseason. And since we didn't everyone is all doom and gloom.

I have to disagree here.

Its not that we got worse. In fact IF (that'll be the word of the year for our group) everything works out, I feel like we could be a better team than last season.

If Erat can score more goals
If Smith can play at an elite level
If Gagner can be an offensive producer
If Domi can replicate Vrbata's production.

My problem with this season isn't what we are capable of doing or not doing. The west got stacked this year. It seems like us and the Sharks are the only teams that didn't improve at all. Every other team within a few points of us last season all got better.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have to disagree here.

Its not that we got worse. In fact IF (that'll be the word of the year for our group) everything works out, I feel like we could be a better team than last season.

If Erat can score more goals
If Smith can play at an elite level
If Gagner can be an offensive producer
If Domi can replicate Vrbata's production.

My problem with this season isn't what we are capable of doing or not doing. The west got stacked this year. It seems like us and the Sharks are the only teams that didn't improve at all. Every other team within a few points of us last season all got better.

Teams like Dallas made changes but can Spezza/Hemsky stay healthy? Is Kesler just a 40 point guy now? Can Brad Richards skate well enough to play effectively in West? Can Vrbata play on any other team but AZ and still be an offensive threat? Can Avs even make the playoffs with their current Defense? Who plays goal in Minnesota?

All I know is the same 8 who made the playoffs last year won't repeat. I'd bet on that.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We missed the playoffs by 2 lousy points. Two points. Did we make make up more points than Dallas this off season? Nope. We can get in, but it will only be if MN or CO fall off the rails.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
I guess I'm the only one who thinks last year's club vastly under-performed. I just think that everyone is greatly overvaluing the changes other teams made because they spent a lot of money. The Coyotes have the right personnel to play 2009-2012 Coyotes hockey, and Tippett and Maloney had a major wake-up call that getting away from that style will NOT work with a low budget team. I see us fighting for third in the division with SJ, and a wildcard spot.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Teams like Dallas made changes but can Spezza/Hemsky stay healthy? Is Kesler just a 40 point guy now? Can Brad Richards skate well enough to play effectively in West? Can Vrbata play on any other team but AZ and still be an offensive threat? Can Avs even make the playoffs with their current Defense? Who plays goal in Minnesota?

All I know is the same 8 who made the playoffs last year won't repeat. I'd bet on that.

There's no question every team has a list of 'ifs' that need to go right in order for that team to make the playoffs. I just think that the yotes list is at least twice as long as most of those teams, and that is what casts doubt on the coming season.

Is Anaheims goal tending going to be a problem? - Maybe but ours hasn't been very good the last couple years so the same question applys here.

Can Hemsky and Spezza stay healthy? - Can Michalek and Hanzal?

Is Colorados defense good enough to make the playoffs? - Is our offense?

Is Kesler a 40 point guy now? - Can Doan rebound from his illness?

Can Vrby play for a non-yotes team? - Can Gagner replace his production here?

While you can ask a similar question about the Yotes that you can ask about other teams, it doesn't always work in reverse. Doesn't mean the Yotes aren't capable of putting it all together and making the dance. It's just easier to have 3 things go right instead of 10.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Our defense is a question mark too, considering it's been near bottom-10 the last 2 years, in addition to our PK being bottom 10 the last 2 years as well.

The penalty kill is probably more responsible for our recent defensive problems than anything else, but is there any reason to believe it's going to be any better this year? Our top penalty killers this year are very similar to last season's, not to mention Jimmy Playfair got himself a nice multi-year extension, and a pat on the back despite very poor results the last 2 years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
"We've given the younger players a great deal of opportunity the last week with so many games and played a lot of players in a lot of different situations," Tippett said. "But now this trip turns to start getting our team in order."

Translation: we screwed around with these kids long enough. Now it's time to ditch them all and get down to the actual business of seeing how superstars like Klinkhammer, Chipchura, and Moss fit into our top nine.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=732169&navid=M_DL|ARI|home

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
Anaheim brought in Kesler, but sacrificed a ton of forward depth and lost Koivu and Teemu. Not to mention two rookie-ish goalies who are totally untested in an 82 game scenario. Still a playoff team.

San Jose was stagnant and created locker room turmoil.

Dallas has an atrocious defense. Just terrible. And Lehtonen is as injury prone as goalies come. If teams can shut down their offense, they will be in trouble.

Nashville will struggle mightily. I think they tried too hard to match the rest of the West's in the offensive arms race and will get run over by teams. Also, how awful will that locker room be with Ribs, Jokinen AND Neal?!

Colorado, Chicago, Minnesota, and LA are the top four without a doubt, all got better or stayed the same. St. Louis is taking a gamble on sketchy goaltending, but still has a tremendous team and will get in as a wildcard at minimum. So that leaves 2 Pacific teams and a wildcard team.

Anaheim will probably get in the divisional route, so its AZ and SJ for the 3 spot, and the loser fighting with DAL for the 8th spot.

Not ideal, but it is a situation in which the Coyotes can dictate their own fate.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, same 8 won't make it. Dallas has a poor defense, Minni has goalie question marks, Colorado has a poor defense and a goalie that over achieved last year, San Jose is old and in turmoil. Blues/Hawks/Ducks/Kings are all deep enough and talented enough to be locks, but nobody else is. Which means 4 spots are wide open for any team that plays well, has good goal tending and few key injuries. Coyotes have a shot but so does every other team. To me it's not like their are one or two spots open. The season is not played on paper, good thing for us.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There's no question every team has a list of 'ifs' that need to go right in order for that team to make the playoffs. I just think that the yotes list is at least twice as long as most of those teams, and that is what casts doubt on the coming season.

Is Anaheims goal tending going to be a problem? - Maybe but ours hasn't been very good the last couple years so the same question applys here.

Can Hemsky and Spezza stay healthy? - Can Michalek and Hanzal?

Is Kesler a 40 point guy now? - Can Doan rebound from his illness?

Can Vrby play for a non-yotes team? - Can Gagner replace his production here?

While you can ask a similar question about the Yotes that you can ask about other teams, it doesn't always work in reverse. Doesn't mean the Yotes aren't capable of putting it all together and making the dance. It's just easier to have 3 things go right instead of 10.

That's my point. Every team has question marks. Our question marks are well known. We've had the same question marks since Tippett arrived and every year we compete for a spot. Nothing has changed of significance. The tables are stacked against us. We need to play as a team and play stifling Defense to win. What's really new in the formula?

I guarantee at least 1 of the 8 teams who made the playoffs last year will fail to do so this year. Could it be AZ? I just placed a bet that we do. I like our chances as much as I like Minni's. I certainly think we finish higher than the Vegas 80.5 point mark.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Translation: we screwed around with these kids long enough. Now it's time to ditch them all and get down to the actual business of seeing how superstars like Klinkhammer, Chipchura, and Moss fit into our top nine.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=732169&navid=M_DL|ARI|home

I took this as they let a large group of rookies play a lot of minutes on top lines. Now that the majority are cut it's time to start seeing which one's will make the roster.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I took this as they let a large group of rookies play a lot of minutes on top lines. Now that the majority are cut it's time to start seeing which one's will make the roster.

Same, I'm not upset with any send down so far. I know Tippet has a bad record with rookies, but things are going as good as I expected them too thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->