2014 Training Camp Thread

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But that assumes the floor is 40% when it's certainly lower. Johansson performed worse than that last season and Kuznetsov certainly could end up below that as well. Citing examples like Malkin & Staal are all well and good but these aren't 100 point center options we're talking about here. If they were it would be easier to overlook. Even those two players are better in the dot than what I'd expect from 90/92.

Faceoffs are also typically a one-on-one battle so it shouldn't be a shocker that Trotz wants them more determined in that area as well. Maybe it's not quite crucial but in terms of the identity Trotz wants to forge (being harder to play against overall) it's one component. The best FO option should not get the job but draws should (and likely will) be a developmental emphasis for all of them this season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Good thing there isn't a rule saying only centermen can take faceoffs...
Yes, they can perhaps cobble their way to mediocrity in that area. Maybe. Not really how you'd like to draw it up, though.

Nashville led the league in FO% last season and it's something he's used to being able to rely upon. Ideally he's going to want, and has already referenced the importance of, someone he can throw out for key draws in crucial situations. Sure, this team should be able to score more but I'm not sure they will immediately so being able to grind out wins helps. Say what you will about Nashville's skill level but they were an honest, work-working, grinding team. Beyond the center questions, I'm not sure Trotz looks over this roster and finds many truly in that category on a consistent basis. At least not yet.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, they can perhaps cobble their way to mediocrity in that area. Maybe. Not really how you'd like to draw it up, though.

Nashville led the league in FO% last season and it's something he's used to being able to rely upon. Ideally he's going to want, and has already referenced the importance of, someone he can throw out for key draws in crucial situations. Sure, this team should be able to score more but I'm not sure they will immediately so being able to grind out wins helps. Say what you will about Nashville's skill level but they were an honest, work-working, grinding team. Beyond the center questions, I'm not sure Trotz looks over this roster and finds many truly in that category on a consistent basis. At least not yet.

Well then I have our 2C solution, trade for Gaustad and Trotz can run him out there so he can take 1200 faceoffs again for him. I mean since it is all about the faceoffs and all...

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I wish they'd given Cajkovsky a bigger shot. Was one of the best defencemen in my eyes in the prospects game against the Flyers.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Vogel on the PowerPlay on NHL radio right now...

About the only thing said that may come as a surprise is that since none of the 2C candidates have grabbed the job so far Laich is now in the mix for it. Supposedly his groin injuries are definitely behind him and his skating is back to what it was pre Switzerland.

Let the griping begin...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
http://www.japersrink.com/2013/7/17/4526958/weighing-the-merits-of-brooks-laich-at-2nd-line-center

This was from a year ago. Laich didn't compare favorably then, and that was comparing numbers from his two previous healthy seasons so they were giving him the benefit of the doubt. Unless Laich has found the fountain of youth, I imagine those numbers aren't going to see much improvement.

Those Corsi and IPP numbers are frightening. Brouwer's IPP is even worse (shocking, I know). Yet somehow Oates felt the need to play the two of them together.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.japersrink.com/2013/7/17/4526958/weighing-the-merits-of-brooks-laich-at-2nd-line-center

This was from a year ago. Laich didn't compare favorably then, and that was comparing numbers from his two previous healthy seasons so they were giving him the benefit of the doubt. Unless Laich has found the fountain of youth, I imagine those numbers aren't going to see much improvement.

Those Corsi and IPP numbers are frightening. Brouwer's IPP is even worse (shocking, I know). Yet somehow Oates felt the need to play the two of them together.

Adam Oates, the "two wrongs make a right" coaching methodology.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I know it's split squads and different lineups from game to game, but can anyone watching closely comment on the PP, specifically if they see an emerging consensus as what the top unit might look like personnel-wise.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know it's split squads and different lineups from game to game, but can anyone watching closely comment on the PP, specifically if they see an emerging consensus as what the top unit might look like personnel-wise.
Likely 8/19/90/20 and then 2/92/21/42 with either Green or Carlson rounding those units out (IINM they haven't both played in a game yet). Burakovsky could--and likely should--replace Laich if he's a regular and producing.

@AdamVingan: You can eliminate one potential 2C from the race: Marcus Johansson will be a winger this season, says Barry Trotz. #Caps

Way to battle, Marge.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Likely 8/19/90/20 and then 2/92/21/42 with either Green or Carlson rounding those units out (IINM they haven't both played in a game yet). Burakovsky could--and likely should--replace Laich if he's a regular and producing.

Thanks. The pieces I'm most curious about are #90 and 74 vs. 52, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

@AdamVingan: You can eliminate one potential 2C from the race: Marcus Johansson will be a winger this season, says Barry Trotz. #Caps

Way to battle, Marge.

That implies that Burakovsky has made the team, no?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, still too early to tell in full.

Burakovsky hasn't made it quite yet since Laich is in the running for one of those center spots. Trotz has said he'd play Burakovsky on the wing if need be so I suppose it's now a head-to-head of him vs. 21 & 92 at center and perhaps then vs. 90 at LW. If he loses both he goes to Hershey. I don't think he loses both.

Increasingly, regardless of PP role, Johansson's fit looks pretty questionable. The fourth line is supposed to be meat and potatoes, not hummus and gluten-free cookies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Way to battle, Marge.

Always liked his game along the boards and in the corners.:sarcasm:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Centers spend just as much time in the corners and along the boards as wingers do in the NHL these days.

Are we sure Nisky takes Ovie's spot on PP2, and not Fehr?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not a lock but IINM that's the side he mainly played on last year on the PP and I'd guess the contract/term plays a factor in him winning out. And, of course, Green can't be relied upon to stay healthy anyway so he'll get his time one way or another.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Centers spend just as much time in the corners and along the boards as wingers do in the NHL these days.

Trotz mentioned in one of his pressers that they'd likely run pp2 with two defenders to ease the transition back to rolling their regular lines.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

No matter what position he's assigned, Center, wing, rover the go to guy whatever, his play still sucks along the boards and in the corners. His best position is playing in Europe where the rinks are larger and the game not as physical, all which will help his game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No matter what position he's assigned, Center, wing, rover the go to guy whatever, his play still sucks along the boards and in the corners. His best position is playing in Europe where the rinks are larger and the game not as physical, all which will help his game.

That may be true, but it also doesn't mean he's not a useful NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad