Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
you guys are mean. member for 6 months with 600 posts and gets the HFNYR smackdown for the lack of attentiveness to Miller :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would have no problem with guys like Kantor, Yogan or Leroux getting some looks in preseason. Those games can get kind of out of hand with the rough stuff, and it's not a bad idea to carry some tough guys that you can afford to be without.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The groups:

Could infer a few things if so inclined...St Louis, Stepan, and Kreider are in one group, while Brassard, Zucc, and Nash (and Stempniak) are in another. Miller and Hayes also in different groups for some head to head competition, but Miller is also in the group with Hagelin which might lead to some speculation that he has the edge since he'll likely be paired up with a sure fire roster player on his wing, while Hayes looks to have more questionable linemate selection

Team C: Nathan Burns, Brandon Halverson, Keegan Iverson, Michael Kantor, Nickolas Latta, Paxton Leroux, Troy Donnay, Chris McCarthy, Jason Missiaen, Richard Nejezchleb, Logan Nelson, Josh Nicholls, Ryan Potulny, Michael St. Croix, Adam Tambellini, Dallas Valentine, Daniel Walcott, Andrew Yogan

There goes the taint

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get it that the TC tourney is not a great indicator of anything, but what we knew of Haggerty before the tourney was that his shot was legit.

He gets an opportunity to display it infront of those that matter and re-affirms what we all know.

He's going to get a LOOONG look in camp with guys that can get him the puck.

If he can be even just serviceable defensively meaning, being able to get in the way of on rushing forwards he's going to be with the Rangers this year.

A sniper with a shooters mentality? Could be REAL dangerous player.

get him on the LW with Brass and Zuccs.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
We should see a lot more kids this year since most of our line up is settled and AV doesn't have to try and get to know everything from scratch. I'm guessing we'll see 3/4 kids in at least 3 of the 6 games.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I get it that the TC tourney is not a great indicator of anything, but what we knew of Haggerty before the tourney was that his shot was legit.

He gets an opportunity to display it infront of those that matter and re-affirms what we all know.

He's going to get a LOOONG look in camp with guys that can get him the puck.

If he can be even just serviceable defensively meaning, being able to get in the way of on rushing forwards he's going to be with the Rangers this year.

A sniper with a shooters mentality? Could be REAL dangerous player.

get him on the LW with Brass and Zuccs.

I'd be excited if he can crack the lineup but I suspect he and Hayes will get time in Hartford first and players like Stempniak, Malone, and Lombardi will still be on the starting roster. We'll see though

e: I'm not even sure Malone makes it, but I think if he shows enough that AV will probably gives guys like him and Lombardi the edge over rookies trying to force their way on the team

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I'd be excited if he can crack the lineup but I suspect he and Hayes will get time in Hartford first and players like Stempniak, Malone, and Lombardi will still be on the starting roster. We'll see though

e: I'm not even sure Malone makes it, but I think if he shows enough that AV will probably gives guys like him and Lombardi the edge over rookies trying to force their way on the team

at a minimum, the roster was constructed so they would not have to rush kids who aren't ready into the lineup, and with the understanding that the start of the season is obviously quite important. Malone may make it. I can see him playing strong and hard to make it. I can also see him either injured or fading quickly too. Adrenaline only lasts so long. Lombardi is the real wild card. If Hayes is playing well in HFD (if that's where he begins the season), we will see him in a NYR uniform too. Ugh, drop the puck already!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Videos are up at BSU of AV talkign about the team.

I get the feeling that we are going to see quite a bit of McD and Boyle.

Just a feeling.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Team A: Ryan Bourque, Dan Boyle, Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, Carl Hagelin, Steven Kampfer, Michael Kostka, Chris Kreider, Danny Kristo, Matthew Lombardi, Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan Malone, Ryan Mantha, J.T. Miller, John Moore, Chris Mueller, Sam Noreau, Mackenzie Skapski, Marty St. Louis, Marc Staal, Derek Stepan, Petr Zamorsky

Team B: Conor ARllen, Mat Bodie, Chris Bourque, Derick Brassard, Cedric Desjardins, Anthony Duclair, Dan Girardi, Ryan Haggerty, Kevin Hayes, Marek Hrivik, Tommy Hughes, Matt Hunwick, Kevin Klein, Oscar Lindberg, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, Dominic Moore, Rick Nash, Lee Stempniak, Cam Talbot, Nick Tarnasky, Mats Zuccarello

So it is AV first plan to start with:
Kreids-Step-MSL
Nash/Zucc-Brass-Nash/Zucc
Hagelin-Miller/Lombardi-Malone
Xxx-Moore-Stempniak

It's also somewhat interesting the Klein and Moore are in different groups. AV wants the competition going all over! We will see Zamorsky with Moore and Allen with Klein I recon.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Kreids-Step-MSL
Xxx-Moore-Stempniak

It's also somewhat interesting the Klein and Moore are in different groups. AV wants the competition going all over! We will see Zamorsky with Moore and Allen with Klein I recon.

good eyes, Ola...caught what I was looking to catch. Guess they want to at least give a couple defensemen chances. But of course, this is where it starts. He knows he can go back to, say. Kreids-Step-Nash quickly since they have experience playing together.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
As in

McD - Boyle
Staal - Girardi ?

Maybe AV is looking to what Chicago does to maximize the offense from Mac and Boyle. Quenville usually sends Hjalmarsson out against the opposition's top line, while Keith and Seabrook get the more favorable match ups.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Does Ryan Haggerty intrigue anyone else ? I think he may stick

He really raised his stock in Traverse, but it's too early to judge if he's NHL ready. I must say, however, that his shot looked awfully salivating. I dobut the 28 goals he scored without any great linemates as a college junior were a fluke. I am cautiously optimistic with him. I definitely think he has top 6 potential and will almost certainly be an NHLer of some kind in the future.

We already have MZA as a RW, and I think Duke, Fast and Haggerty will sort themselves out as RWs for lines 2-4 within a few years. (For now, we have Nash.) Kreder, Butcher, Hagelin looks like a good bunch on the other side, but not as much depth.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Kreids-Step-MSL
Xxx-Moore-Stempniak

I see what you're saying, Ola and I'm sure that is what AV is looking at.

The only problem I have with this lineup is that Brass and Zucc with Nash is a waste. Two premier setup guys who perform better when they have the puck paired with a power forward who likes to dominate it by himself. Unless Nash is going to consider seriously revamping his game at, what, 29? it makes no sense. They need a grip-it-and-rip-it guy who just waits for them to set him up.

Really liking the idea someone else put forward of something like this:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Zucc/Haggerty-Brass-Zucc/Haggerty
xxx-Moore-xxx

Wolfy*

I wonder if Malone passed the physical and medical tests, I keep reading that he's really out of shape. But maybe that's just BS.

Wolfy*

@NYRangers: #NYRTC officially underway with players undergoing physicals...Zucc walked into exam room wearing "GOON" hat!

At least this guy is ready to go :laugh:

member 116805

I wonder if Malone passed the physical and medical tests, I keep reading that he's really out of shape. But maybe that's just BS.

From what i saw of him in his 1 on 1 on blueshirts united, he looks in great shape. Guy is a bull with the neck to go!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Hayes even comes close to taking Miller away from 3C, I'll eat my right sock.

Two years ago we had a guy promise to eat pubes if we defeat Ottawa and then he failed on his promise. We really need to get your promise notarized and probably also "so ordered" by the judge.

Wolfy*

From what i saw of him in his 1 on 1 on blueshirts united, he looks in great shape. Guy is a bull with the neck to go!

A ton of muscles wont help if his conditioning sucks. But as someone mentioned, maybe he's just a little rusty.

To me it looks like people are going after him because of his history with drugs.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A ton of muscles wont help if his conditioning sucks. But as someone mentioned, maybe he's just a little rusty.

To me it looks like people are going after him because of his history with drugs.

It is concerning when a declining player has personal issues and gets busted for drugs and DUI's and all that, it's a pretty big red flag. If he stays clean and can play an effective game then great, but there are still red flags

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I see what you're saying, Ola and I'm sure that is what AV is looking at.

The only problem I have with this lineup is that Brass and Zucc with Nash is a waste. Two premier setup guys who perform better when they have the puck paired with a power forward who likes to dominate it by himself. Unless Nash is going to consider seriously revamping his game at, what, 29? it makes no sense. They need a grip-it-and-rip-it guy who just waits for them to set him up.

Really liking the idea someone else put forward of something like this:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hagelin-Miller-Nash
Zucc/Haggerty-Brass-Zucc/Haggerty
xxx-Moore-xxx

I like this lineup

Kreider--Stepan--Nash
Hagelin--Miller--St.Louis
********--Brassard--Zuccarello
********--Moore--Stempniak

Status
Not open for further replies.