Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Agreed...miller hagelin and Nash could be a heck of a second or third line and get some very favorable matchups.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Players I'm most excited to see in camp / evaluate in pre-season games:

Kevin Hayes (competing for 3rd line spot)

JT Miller (competing for 3rd line spot)

Ryan Malone (can he regain form? How much does he have left? Can his legs keep up in a speed-based system? If so, where does he fit?)

Matthew Lombardi (can he put the injuries behind him? Can he re-discover his game at the NHL level? He certainly has the legs to keep up with the pace. In a bottom-9 (likely 4th line) role, is he reliable enough defensively? I think he may complement Dom Moore quite nicely.)

*Anthony Duclair (just to gauge how close he is as he's not likely to seriously challenge for a NHL spot this season)

*Ryan Haggerty (also to gauge how close he is; how he looks against older, bigger, stronger players. I don't see him making the team out of camp, but a mid-season call-up wouldn't be a huge surprise)

*Matthew Bodie (how does he look against NHL competition? He may end up eventually leapfrogging a guy like Skjei. He's a very good skater and was very impressive this past season in the NCAA. I'm definitely looking forward to following his progress in Hartford this season. He may be closer than initially expected.)

Note: I really think Hayes makes the team, either beating out Miller for the 3C spot or pushing Stempniak down or out of the lineup as the 3RW next to Miller. Also, don't count Oscar Lindberg out just yet. He could very well challenge for the 3C spot himself: while not as offensively gifted as Miller or Hayes, he's a very capable two-way center who understands his role in all three zones; very coachable player as well.

I'm also interested to see who makes the team as the 7th defenseman: Kostka, Hunwick? It's unlikely the Rangers would prefer to keep Allen or McIlrath as a healthy scratch with the NHL team rather than letting them continue to play top-pair minutes in the AHL.

If Hayes beats out Miller, I doubt Miller ever becomes an important player and I believe Miller becomes important this season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Nash doesn't utilize a good playmaker as much as most players. He doesn't find holes in the defense for a linemate to find him. Most of his offense comes from him getting the puck in a low percentage area and creating something himself. I think the best thing his linemates can do for him is maximize his offensive zone time. That's why I like playing him with Hagelin, a great possession winger, and Miller, a center likely to get mostly offensive zone starts no matter who he plays with.

I think this is a great (and accurate) assessment of Nash and what he needs to be successful.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Honestly I've liked the idea of a Hagelin-Miller-Nash "3rd line" all offseason.

AV is gonna roll his top 3 lines. Nash is capable of controlling the puck on his own, getting it up ice and making plays. To me it makes sense to let Miller ride shotgun there like Dubi did with Jagr. Hagelin is fast enough to track down dump ins if Nash gets stopped at the line and to backcheck if the other two have a lapse.

Brass and Zucc can carry whoever on LW an be productive. Malone, Stemp, Fast, Hayes. Whoever wins it.

MSL feeds Kreider (and Stepan) all day. Kreider plays the speed / puck retreival role and adds net front presence.

It makes a lot of sense to spread out the talent.

Edit - And Nash is FAR more effective as a RW.

Spot on post I totally agree. I would like Hayes to make the team because he adds more size and him on brass line would be a good fit for zucc and brass.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Sounds like he's willing to be flexible...if they both play great and outplay some of the options at wing, then you could see one of them moved to a wing instead

Nash to be tried at both LW and RW

AHB*

Lets go hayes! Jt got so much NHL time with torts and saw no improvement...

Jesus Christ, he's 21 and a typical raw product at that age. To say he didn't improve either is just ridiculous. He looked much better last year then under Torts.

I can't believe people are actually rooting against this kid.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Hayes even comes close to taking Miller away from 3C, I'll eat my right sock.

AHB*

Miller is younger then Hayes and a better prospect. People are out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad