Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Would certainly like to see some guys like Haggerty or Hayes make it but I suspect they'll need more time

Fast and Lindberg probably have the upper hand on them though, and Miller probably will have to play himself out of a job.

Ideally I'd like the young guys to grab those jobs open in the top 9 and stempniak and someone else on the 4th line with moore ready to step in if needed

I'm hopeful we will see (2) young players make the team. Who it is, to me, doesn't really matter.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Ryan Graves is still rehabbing his shoulder so I don't think we will see him in camp.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Brooksie heavy on the speculation this morning.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/18/finding-linemates-for-nash-malone-first-order-of-business-for-rangers/

Again, however, if Malone — who could start on the fourth line with Dominic Moore and Tanner Glass — proves to be a physical, forechecking complement to Brassard and Zuccarello, would the Rangers consider shifting Nash to right wing on the third line with left wing Carl Hagelin and fill in the blank (J.T. Miller, Matt Lombardi, Oscar Lindberg, Kevin Hayes) in the middle?

EDIT - I can't English before 10am

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
hahahahah seriously Brooks? I know Nash had a mediocre season last year but that was still like basically Malone's highest goal total for his entire career right there

Malone isn't going to create a lineup problem for Nash, it just isn't going to happen.

e: he's not talking about Glass playing on Zuke's line, he's talking about Malone.

People still act like Malone is in his 20's and his prime. He's not.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Camp roster

[table="head;width=300]Goalies
Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot
Cedrick Desjardins
Brandon Halverson
Jason Missiaen
Mackenzie Skapski
[/table]

[table="head;width=600] LD | RD
Ryan McDonagh | Dan Girardi
Marc Staal | Dan Boyle
John Moore | Kevin Klein
Connor Allen | Dylan McIlrath
Matt Hunwick | Michael Kostka
Mat Bodie| Samuel Noreau
Ryan Graves* |Petr Zamorsky
|Ryan Manta
|Steven Kampfer
|Dallas Valentine
|Daniel Walcott
[/table]

[table="head;width=3000]LW |C| RW
Chris Kreider | Derek Stepan | Martin St. Louis
Mats Zuccarello | Derick Brassard | Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin | JT Miller | Lee Stempniak
Tanner Glass | John Moore | Ryan Malone
Marek Hrivik| Matthew Lombardi | Jesper Fast
Andrew Yogan |Kevin Hayes | Ryan Haggerty
Anthony Duclair|Oscar Lindberg | Danny Kristo
Chris Bourque |Ryan Bourque|Michael Kantor
Nathan Burns |Chris Mueller| Nickolas Latta
Nick Tarnasky |Keegan Iverson|Richard Nejezchleb
Paxton Leroux|Micahel St. Croix| Josh Nichols
|Adam Tambellini|
|Chris McCarthy|
|Logan Nelson|
|Ryan Potulny|
[/table]

*Injured shoulder. May not attend.

Training camp schedule

[table="head;]Date | Activity | time
Thursday, Sept. 18| Team Physicals| All Day
|AV Availability| 12:00 PM
Friday, Sept. 19 |Group 1 Practice|10:00 AM - 11:45 AM
|Group 2 Practice |12:15 PM - 2:00 PM
|Group 3 Practice |2:15 PM - 3:15 PM
Saturday, Sept. 20| Group 1 Practice |10:00 AM - 11:45 AM
|Group 2 Practice |12:15 PM - 2:00 PM
|Group 3 Practice |2:15 PM - 3:15 PM
Sunday, Sept. 21| Scrimmage| 11:00 AM
[/table]
This post makes me happy. Any word as to who's in which group?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The chances Rick Nash ends up in a limited bottom-six role are so low I am surprised Brooks is even entertaining them.

Wait, no I'm not.

LOL well atleast his top 6 is what I have...Kreider, Stepan, MSL.....Nash, Brass, Zuc

after that I go Hagelin, Miller, Stempniak........Malone, Moore, Glass/Lombardi

buuuut this is what camp is for lets see what Lindberg, Haggerty, Hayes, Kristo, Fast, Hrvik, Bourque, etc etc can do.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Honestly I've liked the idea of a Hagelin-Miller-Nash "3rd line" all offseason.

AV is gonna roll his top 3 lines. Nash is capable of controlling the puck on his own, getting it up ice and making plays. To me it makes sense to let Miller ride shotgun there like Dubi did with Jagr. Hagelin is fast enough to track down dump ins if Nash gets stopped at the line and to backcheck if the other two have a lapse.

Brass and Zucc can carry whoever on LW an be productive. Malone, Stemp, Fast, Hayes. Whoever wins it.

MSL feeds Kreider (and Stepan) all day. Kreider plays the speed / puck retreival role and adds net front presence.

It makes a lot of sense to spread out the talent.

Edit - And Nash is FAR more effective as a RW.

SupersonicMonkey*

It's not a huge if for Malone.

He had one bad year, due at least in part to off-ice issues.

I'd say there's a good chance he bounces back and contributes positively to the team.

I've got nothing against Glass and I actually think he'll be a good player for us. I trust AV's judgment.

But even in the worst year of his career, Malone is a better player than Glass, period.

They are different players and they have different roles. Glass is 4th line or scratched. Malone could very well find himself on the 3rd line at some point, and it's not even out of the question that he could potentially fill into a top-6 role in the event of injuries. That's a versatility that Glass simply doesn't have. Spots will be EARNED in camp. Let's see what happens.

The last two years. He hasn't been a good player since 11-12.

SupersonicMonkey*

Honestly I've liked the idea of a Hagelin-Miller-Nash "3rd line" all offseason.

AV is gonna roll his top 3 lines. Nash is capable of controlling the puck on his own, getting it up ice and making plays. To me it makes sense to let Miller ride shotgun there like Dubi did with Jagr. Hagelin is fast enough to track down dump ins if Nash gets stopped at the line and to backcheck if the other two have a lapse.

Brass and Zucc can carry whoever on LW an be productive. Malone, Stemp, Fast, Hayes. Whoever wins it.

MSL feeds Kreider (and Stepan) all day. Kreider plays the speed / puck retreival role and adds net front presence.

It makes a lot of sense to spread out the talent.

Edit - And Nash is FAR more effective as a RW.

I agree, i like the sound of that line. Nash had some chemistry with Hagelin, and Miller would be a good fit with Nash, go hard to the net, good on the boards, and good on the forecheck.

Kreider - Stepan - St. Louis
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Haggerty - Brassard - Zuccarello
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

Is what I am hoping for.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I agree, i like the sound of that line. Nash had some chemistry with Hagelin, and Miller would be a good fit with Nash, go hard to the net, good on the boards, and good on the forecheck.

Kreider - Stepan - St. Louis
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Haggerty - Brassard - Zuccarello
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

Is what I am hoping for.

Wouldn't you play Nash, the team's supposed top goal scorer, with either the team's first or second best playmaker? Maybe I'm stuck in the '90s where there was a top line with your top players and if you're good enough you have a guy like Federov on a second line (and admittedly the fourth line didn't play as much as today's fourth lines), but if Nash isn't with Stepan, I'm playing him with Zucc, even if one has to play on his "off" wing. While you want balance, one line will get the most ES minutes, another the second most, etc. Nash needs to be up there. Not sure I want to see a playoff snakebitten scorer play with a youngster like Miller who's trying to cut his teeth in the NHL.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The chances Rick Nash ends up in a limited bottom-six role are so low I am surprised Brooks is even entertaining them.

Wait, no I'm not.
Hagelin - Miller - Nash is exactly one of the lines I'm hoping for.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Hagelin - Miller - Nash is exactly one of the lines I'm hoping for.

If that ends up being the case it would have to be a top-9 rather than a top-6, giving all three lines nearly equal time. I am actually hoping for a rolling 3 offensive lines roster as well, but not what Larry seems to be suggesting will happen.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wouldn't you play Nash, the team's supposed top goal scorer, with either the team's first or second best playmaker?
I think Nash doesn't utilize a good playmaker as much as most players. He doesn't find holes in the defense for a linemate to find him. Most of his offense comes from him getting the puck in a low percentage area and creating something himself. I think the best thing his linemates can do for him is maximize his offensive zone time. That's why I like playing him with Hagelin, a great possession winger, and Miller, a center likely to get mostly offensive zone starts no matter who he plays with.

mti79

May 11, 2007
This should be a very interesting TC. The Rangers have signed a bunch of guys that are going to have to show something in camp along with the kids who are pushing for a spot.

Stempniak, Bourque, Malone, Glass, Lombardi, Kostka, Hunwick, Mueller, Haggerty, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, Miller, Kristo, Allen, McI... All pretty much gunning for 3-4 spots.

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Nash-Brass-MZA
Hagelin-??-??
??-Moore-??

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
??-Klein

SupersonicMonkey*

Wouldn't you play Nash, the team's supposed top goal scorer, with either the team's first or second best playmaker? Maybe I'm stuck in the '90s where there was a top line with your top players and if you're good enough you have a guy like Federov on a second line (and admittedly the fourth line didn't play as much as today's fourth lines), but if Nash isn't with Stepan, I'm playing him with Zucc, even if one has to play on his "off" wing. While you want balance, one line will get the most ES minutes, another the second most, etc. Nash needs to be up there. Not sure I want to see a playoff snakebitten scorer play with a youngster like Miller who's trying to cut his teeth in the NHL.

The thing is Nash likes to have the puck on his stick and likes to Rambo the thing. So, i don't know if having him with a distributor who likes to have the puck as well, is a good match. He had a down year in productivity, maybe because of the concussion, but I'd like to see him with a more physical, go to the net, strong down low type of center. Miller going to the net could draw a couple of defenders his way and create a little more room for Nash to do his butt turn moves and lone wolf routines.

Haggerty with Brass and Zucc, i am thinking would work more. Haggerty is a physical guy and likes to get open in shooting lanes. Brass and Zucc could connect with Haggerty often, in theory.

St. Louis, a smaller guy, who also likes to get open for that shot on the RW, could work with Step. While Kreider creates space with his size and strength going to the net.

And Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak would be able to shut down opponents's offensive lines and give opposing defenders fits with their tenacity and speed.

Just thinking over all that would be a really effective, fast, deep roster. Miller and Haggerty are big and strong, so they add to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

SupersonicMonkey*

I think Nash doesn't utilize a good playmaker as much as most players. He doesn't find holes in the defense for a linemate to find him. Most of his offense comes from him getting the puck in a low percentage area and creating something himself. I think the best thing his linemates can do for him is maximize his offensive zone time. That's why I like playing him with Hagelin, a great possession winger, and Miller, a center likely to get mostly offensive zone starts no matter who he plays with.

Exactly. Well put. That is my reasoning.

SupersonicMonkey*

Any word on when Vigneault will address the media? He has a press conference scheduled for today right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad