2014 Sochi Olympics Discussion

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Okposo is one thing, because quite frankly, he could be an awesome lower line pest of a winger for Team USA if he brings his A-game, but I don't see Hamonic having in shot in H E double hockey stick at being on Team Canada.

Does anyone here think he's even one of the best 20 Canadian Dmen in the Eastern Conference?

Yzerman said he is wants a team to compete against the best, a team that can win gold. He said he is not putting together a team for the all star game.

He pointed out that Hamonic is a solid, defensive minded d-man , who could compliment the big name, offensive defensemen.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Does anyone here think he's even one of the best 20 Canadian Dmen in the Eastern Conference?

Yes he is. And getting better quickly.

Drew Doughty
Dan Boyle
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Shea Weber
P.K. Subban
Alex Pietrangelo
Kris Letang

Travis Hamonic
Marc Staal
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Dion Phaneuf
Marc Methot
Dan Hamhuis
Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Green
Karl Alzner
---------------------------------------
Justin Schultz
Mark Giordano
Chris Phillips
Dan Girardi
Brian Campbell
Michael DelZotto
Andrew Ference
Cody Franson

Hacked together list of CDN dmen - I'd say Hamonic deserved the invitation and is in that list of players bucketed outside the top 8 - gets pretty close after that. We're pretty tough on our own at times but Hamonic is a gem of a player and it's nice that he's starting to get recognized. He's especially good in combining physical play with shut-down defense who seems to elevate his game and compete level against top players - that's why he's invited and that's why he's got a chance to make the team.

As good as they are offensively, I don't want Subban and Letang on the ice at the same time, I'd sooner have Hamonic replace one or the other (as an example, omitting the whole lefty/righty thing, just about balancing the lineup and, as CREW posted, not having an all-star team)

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Wish they'd go back to college kids filling the roster. I take no joy out of the current format. What made 1980 so awesome was that it was our kids beating the best the world had to offer.

What we have now are nothing more than all star games with a bit of national pride on the line. I also cannot wait to see and hear the reaction when a Crosby or Malkin or even a Tavares gets hurt during the games and is lost to their team for a long period.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yes he is. And getting better quickly.

Drew Doughty
Dan Boyle
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Shea Weber
P.K. Subban
Alex Pietrangelo
Kris Letang

Travis Hamonic
Marc Staal
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Dion Phaneuf
Marc Methot
Dan Hamhuis
Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Green
Karl Alzner
---------------------------------------
Justin Schultz
Mark Giordano
Chris Phillips
Dan Girardi
Brian Campbell
Michael DelZotto
Andrew Ference
Cody Franson

I guess this is where we disagree.

To begin, I've seen the TSN video on the defensive unit and I've seen Hamonic's inclusion in the discussion. IMHO opinion, he's the absolute last guy on the list of Dmen in that video who I can see being taken into consideration for that team out of all the names they have on their chalkboard.

I can't speak for Yzerman, who I'm not convinced of yet in a management capacity, but if indeed the history to date and the regular season play heading up to the Olympics can still mean a number of other guys can be taken into consideration, I can't see anyone possibly taking Hamonic into more consideration at this juncture than any of Dion Phaneuf, Dan Hamhuis, Jay Bouwmeester, Mike Green, Karl Alzner, and Dan Girardi - and I write that in agreeance that the top 8 you've listed above includes pretty much THE candidates we're gonna see in Sochi, barring injuries. Marc Staal comes very close after that.

In other words, Travis would have to be absolute GANGBUSTERS in the first half of the season to be taken into consideration.

Now, I may be wrong that there are 20 better Canadian Dmen in the Eastern Conference alone (ok, I just kind of asked if Hamonic is amongst the top 20), but in sticking with the Eastern Conference, I would normally say that I could see guys like McQuaid, Boychuk, Myers, Methot and Philipps getting every bit as much consideration as Hamonic for various reasons. Heck, maybe even guys like Braydon Coburn and Luke Schenn.

When I see us displaying hope of Travis being an Olympian this winter, I think we're wearing some VERY thick orange and blue colored glasses.

I just don't think anyone outside of Uniondale is as high on this guy as we are. Sure, some pundits have given him props, but I just don't think the hockey world sees him with the love we do.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I guess this is where we disagree.

To begin, I've seen the TSN video on the defensive unit and I've seen Hamonic's inclusion in the discussion. IMHO opinion, he's the absolute last guy on the list of Dmen in that video who I can see being taken into consideration for that team out of all the names they have on their chalkboard.

I can't speak for Yzerman, who I'm not convinced of yet in a management capacity, but if indeed the history to date and the regular season play heading up to the Olympics can still mean a number of other guys can be taken into consideration, I can't see anyone possibly taking Hamonic into more consideration at this juncture than any of Dion Phaneuf, Dan Hamhuis, Jay Bouwmeester, Mike Green, Karl Alzner, and Dan Girardi - and I write that in agreeance that the top 8 you've listed above includes pretty much THE candidates we're gonna see in Sochi, barring injuries. Marc Staal comes very close after that.

In other words, Travis would have to be absolute GANGBUSTERS in the first half of the season to be taken into consideration.

Now, I may be wrong that there are 20 better Canadian Dmen in the Eastern Conference alone (ok, I just kind of asked if Hamonic is amongst the top 20), but in sticking with the Eastern Conference, I would normally say that I could see guys like McQuaid, Boychuk, Myers, Methot and Philipps getting every bit as much consideration as Hamonic for various reasons. Heck, maybe even guys like Braydon Coburn and Luke Schenn.

When I see us displaying hope of Travis being an Olympian this winter, I think we're wearing some VERY thick orange and blue colored glasses.

I just don't think anyone outside of Uniondale is as high on this guy as we are. Sure, some pundits have given him props, but I just don't think the hockey world sees him with the love we do.

You mention quite a few possibilities, who were not even at the orientation camp last week.

Yzerman told the media at that camp, that they won't have a lot of time , that they will focus on particular teams , players and games to make their choices. He went on to say there are some players they know what to expect and won't have to focus on. It does not sound like your long list of noninvited D, are being focused on.
I do agree that the players team execs are looking at, will have to be playing at a high level.

The press is saying PK Subban is not a lock and some press are expressing surprise. Yzerman has said he is not putting together a team for an all star game. He wants lower line players, who will compliment his big name players.So why not the hardnosed, hard working Hamonic?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So why not the hardnosed, hard working Hamonic?

Lack of overall size and experience in general, much less on international rinks. Lack of a two-way game that compares with a number of Canada's options. Inability to regularly get pucks on net from the point.

Just not being a proven commodity yet at such a young age.

Gotta think that guys like Vlasic and Hamhuis would be way ahead of him if Stevie Y truly is leaving the Subbans of the world out of the equation for the sake of bringing along fellas for their shutout, meat-and-potatoe, character games.

Don't get me wrong - if Travis were something like Slovenian or Austrian, we'd be seeing him at the Olympics. Without a doubt.

But he's from THE hockey country on the planet with the greatest depth at each position.

We should be honored he was even included in the orientation camp and not look too much into it.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Lack of overall size and experience in general, much less on international rinks. Lack of a two-way game that compares with a number of Canada's options. Inability to regularly get pucks on net from the point.

Gotta think that guys like Vlasic and Hamhuis would be way ahead of him if Stevie Y truly is leaving the Subbans of the world out of the equation for the sake of bringing along fellas for their shutout, meat-and-potatoe, character games.

Don't get me wrong - if Travis were something like Slovenian or Austrian, we'd be seeing him at the Olympics. Without a doubt.

But he's from THE hockey country on the planet with the greatest depth at each position.

We should be honored he was even included in the orientation camp and not look too much into it.

I see your point and it's a valid one for sure....but Hamonic does have a shot at making the team, no doubt about it. In the end, I don't think he'll make the cut but I'm sure it will be a good discussion.

If healthy, these guys are locks.

Drew Doughty
Dan Boyle
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Shea Weber

I don't see what Letang and Subban bring to the table that these five (above) don't bring already.
Same reason why Jason Spezza wasn't invited, I imagine.

Canada has a lot of offensive defensemen but no Pronger-type, Stevens-type shutdown physical dmen at all. Hamonic is at the top of that list, or close to it. I can't imagine Canada going into the Olympics without a pure, physical, shutdown guy and I'm not sure they even have any good ones - probably their only team weakness. I don't think it's Hamhuis or Marc Staal, certainly not Phaneuf. I have a hard time seeing any invites that are clearly better than Hamonic in that role.

Pietrangelo is an interesting one because he will likely emerge as a top dman for Canada, possibly as early as THIS YEAR - he's got that kind of upside.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Reading Yzerman's comments, it does not sound like Yzerman is looking for 8 d-men with strong two way games. He will have his big name, offensive d-men and will look for players who compliment them.

Maybe you are right and Hamonic gets a thanks, but no thanks call in early Jan.
That just means the isles will have had a highly motivated Hamonic, from Oct to Jan.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Wish they'd go back to college kids filling the roster. I take no joy out of the current format. What made 1980 so awesome was that it was our kids beating the best the world had to offer.

What we have now are nothing more than all star games with a bit of national pride on the line. I also cannot wait to see and hear the reaction when a Crosby or Malkin or even a Tavares gets hurt during the games and is lost to their team for a long period.

The only problem back in the 1920-1992 format was, the only teams sending amateurs was the US and Canada. All the rest were sending allstar teams full of professionals. That was the amazing thing about 1980, our college players beat the best team hockey had to offer, the same team that beat the NHL Allstars 2 games to 1 in a challenge series. They won 6-0 in the clinching game. Without a doubt, the biggest upset in sports history.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Tavares CAN
Grabner AUS
Nabokov RUS
Visnovsky SVK (he's undecided)

Nielsen and Regin would've been premier forwards for DEN, but the team didn't qualify

Hamonic (CAN) and Okposo (USA) will just miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad