2014 Sochi Olympics Discussion

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Urgh, just so damn ugly. I really would have liked them to use the dark jerseys from last Olympics. Guess I'm only buying a Tavares Canada jersey.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
These new jersey's could be good but they just aren't. It seems like it was made for some 9 year old travel team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
TSN has their "expert" panel's roster up. They have JT centering the 3d line with Couture on LW and Giroux on RW. I actually think it might be a better line than the projected 2nd line. In any event, I'm not surprised to see Giroux on JT's RW - I kind of expect that to be the case.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430639

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
TSN has their "expert" panel's roster up. They have JT centering the 3d line with Couture on LW and Giroux on RW. I actually think it might be a better line than the projected 2nd line. In any event, I'm not surprised to see Giroux on JT's RW - I kind of expect that to be the case.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430639

Interesting that Couture is penciled in right now. I don't think he has very much International experience, but he's got a very well rounded game.

I just don't know about Kunitz though.

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
Interesting that Couture is penciled in right now. I don't think he has very much International experience, but he's got a very well rounded game.

I just don't know about Kunitz though.

Not big fan of him either BUT he has chemistry with Crosby. That being said I think everybody has chemistry with 87... 2010 team was so good cause it was cleverly built.. Thornton with Heatley, Marleu and Getzlaf with Perry and so on.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I think he will. Go look at some of his off-season interviews and he talks about 'seeing the light' and understanding how to be successful. No more finess play from him ( minus that backhand curl and drag he loves). He also trained with JT a little bit this summer.

That taste of playoffs and the opportunity of team USA are gonna give him that kick in the ass that was needed. I think he makes this team and plays in the top 9.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I say it's an outside chance and with what he's shown (over his entire career) USA will be hurting at Sochi if he does make it. He's not a bad player and I think in time he maybe be Olympic worthy but right now I don't think he's proven to be consistently able to play at that high of a level. So even if he starts out on fire this season I think the team will have already been decided and the start of the NHL season is not going to impact the winter olympics selections.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He'll get a look, but he's one of those guys who has to have a monster first half to the season in order to really be considered.

Too many other candidates for him to come out of the gates slowly again and still get consideration.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He'll get a look, but he's one of those guys who has to have a monster first half to the season in order to really be considered.

Too many other candidates for him to come out of the gates slowly again and still get consideration.

If he really has turned the corner and can consistently be that high impact player we saw towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, he's got to get strong consideration.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice article about Tavares and the Olympics

John Tavares ready to burst into super stardom with Team Canada
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--team-canada-john-tavares-a-rising-superstar-153935960.html

“There’s really nothing quite like playoff hockey, and just in the first round, that experience was phenomenal,” Tavares said. “I still think about it every day, how much fun that was, what an opportunity we had. I think it drives you even more to want to be more successful and reach your ultimate goal and push yourselves even more. I thought we played really well. We had a really good chance to win that series, and we just didn’t take advantage of our opportunities. We kind of let one slip away.”

Had to post that quote. :)

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Made me had to go right to youTube to watch the highlights from that series. I will argue that that series is right up there with the Leafs series.

If the Isles go on to bigger and better things, no one will be worshiping last year's first round exit like they do the Leafs series. And that's a very good thing!

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Made me had to go right to youTube to watch the highlights from that series. I will argue that that series is right up there with the Leafs series.

i watched the series too, this morning. i'm Jonesing... :D

when it was live, i confess to thinking that we didn't have much of a chance. but in retrospect, it could have easily went in the Isles favor. we WERE close.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I wouldn't..... the Pens series was good, but that Leafs series had a tremendous amount of hatred between the two teams. I'd rate the 93 Pens series over the one last year as well. It was a good one though, no doubt.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There will be pressure on Okposo and Hamonic to play well out the gate. Both need to impress the decision makers, before the rosters are finalized.

The 2014 games would be a lot more interesting if Okposo and Hamonic were playing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
There will be pressure on Okposo and Hamonic to play well out the gate. Both need to impress the decision makers, before the rosters are finalized.

The 2014 games would be a lot more interesting if Okposo and Hamonic were playing.

Okposo is one thing, because quite frankly, he could be an awesome lower line pest of a winger for Team USA if he brings his A-game, but I don't see Hamonic having in shot in H E double hockey stick at being on Team Canada.

Does anyone here think he's even one of the best 20 Canadian Dmen in the Eastern Conference?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I wouldn't..... the Pens series was good, but that Leafs series had a tremendous amount of hatred between the two teams. I'd rate the 93 Pens series over the one last year as well. It was a good one though, no doubt.

The thing is the David and Goliath factor was so prominent, especially after the first game. I know a lot of people counted the Islanders out of that series the second we were matched up against them.

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong but I feel like a lot of the hatred from the Leafs series came DURING the series.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The thing is the David and Goliath factor was so prominent, especially after the first game. I know a lot of people counted the Islanders out of that series the second we were matched up against them.

Absolutely..... especially after that first game, almost everyone was calling for a sweep. That said, the Islanders were even bigger underdogs in 93. Imagine playing that same series but without John Tavares.... that's what the 93 Islanders were up against. That 93 Penguin team was probably even better then last years Pens.

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong but I feel like a lot of the hatred from the Leafs series came DURING the series.

That it did, but it was like night and day. Those two teams HATED eachother.... every game there was some kind of side show. It spurred a rivalry that lasted a few seasons after.

Every game in that series was like the one against Pittsburgh from a few years ago (fight night). Shawn Bates even fought Darcy Tucker! lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad