2014 Sochi Olympics Discussion

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
With Dan Bylsma as head coach watch the United States refuse to touch Sidney Crosby and everyone else end up injured. If that is the case, I would rather John Tavares not make the team

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
SI come out with their expected version of Team Canada, with Tavares not making the team. Once again SI proves they know nothing about hockey. Just because he may not be at center doesn't make him a cut. They have Hall making the team over JT, lol. We all know JTs performance internationally on big ice surfaces, to me he's a lock, even if it has to be as a winger.

Ridiculous. They put Staal at LW, but Tavares can't play LW? Canada would rather have Hall, Ladd, and Marchand over Tavares? In international tournaments, people play out of position. Big whoop. I think Stamkos and Giroux are almost surely going to play wing, which gives a chance for JT to play 2nd line C. Although I'd kill for a Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos line.

scott99

May 13, 2005
SI come out with their expected version of Team Canada, with Tavares not making the team. Once again SI proves they know nothing about hockey. Just because he may not be at center doesn't make him a cut. They have Hall making the team over JT, lol. We all know JTs performance internationally on big ice surfaces, to me he's a lock, even if it has to be as a winger.

When reading the names of the Canadian forwards, there are some I can see making it over Tavares, but Hall was not one of those names. I'd be pretty surprised if a Hart Trophy finalist, and 3rd leading goal scorer in the NHL doesn't make the team.

Here's the list of forwards, and I see the ones in red as locks:

FORWARDS
Patrice Bergeron (Boston)
Jeff Carter (Los Angeles)
Logan Couture (San Jose)
Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh)
Matt Duchene (Colorado)
Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)
Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim)
Claude Giroux (Philadelphia)
Taylor Hall (Edmonton)
Chris Kunitz (Pittsburgh)
Andrew Ladd (Winnipeg)
Milan Lucic (Boston)
Brad Marchand (Boston)
Rick Nash (NY Rangers)
James Neal (Pittsburgh)

Corey Perry (Anaheim)
Mike Richards (Los Angeles)
Patrick Sharp (Chicago)
Eric Staal (Carolina)
Jordan Staal (Carolina)
Martin St. Louis (Tampa Bay)
Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay)

John Tavares (NY Islanders)
Joe Thornton (San Jose)
Jonathan Toews (Chicago)

That's 8 forwards, I'd say Tavares and Thornton are probably the next 2 locks. If they are going with 4 lines, they need to add 2 more after Tavares and Thornton. I could see Bergeron and Richards being those 2.

But, to play Devil's advocate, You could see Bergeron, Richards, Thornton and Perry making it over Tavares, I don't think so, but you never know.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If JT doesn't play C, I could see him at RW before LW.

Richards is a lock to me. A lot of times the toughest thing about putting together these star-laden teams is to have a proper 4th line. Richards is perfect for that role.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
But, to play Devil's advocate, You could see Bergeron, Richards, Thornton and Perry making it over Tavares, I don't think so, but you never know.

If Tavares is not a lock (and at least on the second line) then something is rotten in the state of Canada. - and Giroux over JT...no.

MSL at this point should not be a lock.

my order of definites:

Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares/Toews
E. Staal
Giroux

Lots of Centers but they're all just too good to not make it.

The rest is a solid list that would make a very formidable forward group on their own. I don't envy the ones making the decisions.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Tavares is not a lock (and at least on the second line) then something is rotten in the state of Canada. - and Giroux over JT...no.

my order of definites:

Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares/Toews
E. Staal
Giroux

The rest is a solid list that would make a very formidable forward group on their own. I don't envy the ones making the decisions.

JT is a lock, he showed over in Switzerland that his game translates very well on the wing and he's always looked good on International Ice from the WC's. He's versatile enough to swing from wing to center and excel either way. He'll be relied on to put up points, especially on the PP. He's had plenty of past Team Canada experience and he's shown that he's a good soldier. We'll see his #20 in the lineup in Sochi.

To add another center to the mix, I think Bergeron is a lock too.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
JT is a lock, he showed over in Switzerland that his game translates very well on the wing and he's always looked good on International Ice from the WC's. He's versatile enough to swing from wing to center and excel either way. He'll be relied on to put up points, especially on the PP. He's had plenty of past Team Canada experience and he's shown that he's a good soldier. We'll see his #20 in the lineup in Sochi.

Absolutely.

Besides Bergeron - Thornton, Nash, Perry, Neal (and prob not both Neal & Kunitz), St. Louis, Carter, Lucic and Sharp are my picks in descending order of probability - besides the 6 players I mentioned prior. Hall may make it to add youth but has tough competition.

The Neal/Kunitz/Crosby dynamic is interesting because of chemistry, but they probably wouldn't place either with Sid on the top line so one of them is out.

Looking forward to seeing the western conference players this year to get a better grasp...

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
When reading the names of the Canadian forwards, there are some I can see making it over Tavares, but Hall was not one of those names. I'd be pretty surprised if a Hart Trophy finalist, and 3rd leading goal scorer in the NHL doesn't make the team.

FORWARDS
Logan Couture (San Jose)
Matt Duchene (Colorado)
Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)
Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim)
Taylor Hall (Edmonton)
Andrew Ladd (Winnipeg)
Milan Lucic (Boston)
Brad Marchand (Boston)
Rick Nash (NY Rangers)
James Neal (Pittsburgh)

Corey Perry (Anaheim)
Patrick Sharp (Chicago)
Eric Staal (Carolina)
Jordan Staal (Carolina)

Joe Thornton (San Jose)
Jonathan Toews (Chicago)

That's 8 forwards, I'd say Tavares and Thornton are probably the next 2 locks. If they are going with 4 lines, they need to add 2 more after Tavares and Thornton. I could see Bergeron and Richards being those 2.

Bergeron will make the club, no doubt

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

FORWARDS
Logan Couture (San Jose)
Matt Duchene (Colorado)
Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)
Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim)
Taylor Hall (Edmonton)
Andrew Ladd (Winnipeg)
Milan Lucic (Boston)
Brad Marchand (Boston)
Rick Nash (NY Rangers)
James Neal (Pittsburgh)

Corey Perry (Anaheim)
Patrick Sharp (Chicago)
Eric Staal (Carolina)
Jordan Staal (Carolina)

Joe Thornton (San Jose)
Jonathan Toews (Chicago)

Bergeron is a lock but not James Neal... Why do you see him as a lock over guys like Tavares, Perry or Getzlaf? They all can play wing if that's your concern.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Yeah. It makes all of the sense in the world to play JT on the wing. All these international tournaments where people say 'JT has sick chemistry with Eberle/Skinner/whoever'. It's because the dude is easy to play with.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

FORWARDS
Logan Couture (San Jose)
Matt Duchene (Colorado)
Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)
Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim)
Taylor Hall (Edmonton)
Andrew Ladd (Winnipeg)
Milan Lucic (Boston)
Brad Marchand (Boston)
Rick Nash (NY Rangers)
James Neal (Pittsburgh)

Corey Perry (Anaheim)
Patrick Sharp (Chicago)
Eric Staal (Carolina)
Jordan Staal (Carolina)

Joe Thornton (San Jose)
Jonathan Toews (Chicago)

How the hell is James Neal a lock?

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

my order of definites:

Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares/Toews
E. Staal
Giroux

He probably is going to be on the team, it helps since Yzerman is the GM. I would only keep him on the team if he plays with Stamkos though.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The only way Tavares is not on Team Canada is if he's hurt. There are MAYBE 2 or 3 better Team Canada forwards.

LOCKS - played in 2010 and are still great:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Patrice Bergeron
3) Jonathan Toews
4) Eric Staal
5) Ryan Getzlaf
6) Mike Richards

LOCKS - simply too good to keep off the team
7) John Tavares
8) Claude Giroux
9) Steven Stamkos

MAYBE - played before, but may not make it:
10) Rick Nash (he played before)
11) Corey Perry
12) Joe Thornton

MAYBE - have a shot at making the team with strong season:
13) Martin St. Louis
14) Logan Couture
15) Jeff Carter
16) Taylor Hall
17) Matt Duchene
18) Jordan Eberle

NO CHANCE - unless as a role player, like Andrew Ladd in for Mike Richards or Bergeron (if injured)
Chris Kunitz
Jordan Staal
Patrick Sharp
Brad Marchand
Milan Lucic
Andrew Ladd

My guess is that #1-13 make it - though I think Taylor Hall or Logan Couture have a chance with a strong start.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
The only way Tavares is not on Team Canada is if he's hurt. There are MAYBE 2 or 3 better Team Canada forwards.

LOCKS - played in 2010 and are still great:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Patrice Bergeron
3) Jonathan Toews
4) Eric Staal
5) Ryan Getzlaf
6) Mike Richards

LOCKS - simply too good to keep off the team
7) John Tavares
8) Claude Giroux
9) Steven Stamkos

MAYBE - played before, but may not make it:
10) Rick Nash (he played before)
11) Corey Perry
12) Joe Thornton

MAYBE - have a shot at making the team with strong season:
13) Martin St. Louis
14) Logan Couture
15) Jeff Carter
16) Taylor Hall
17) Matt Duchene
18) Jordan Eberle

NO CHANCE - unless as a role player, like Andrew Ladd in for Mike Richards or Bergeron (if injured)
Chris Kunitz
Jordan Staal
Patrick Sharp
Brad Marchand
Milan Lucic
Andrew Ladd

My guess is that #1-13 make it - though I think Taylor Hall or Logan Couture have a chance with a strong start.
You forgot James Neal but I can understand why! Me to, I Think, he has no chance!

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Spezza? He should get a shot too. Maybe Benn

A lot of people said Spezza can only play in a top 6 role and his game isn't good as a winger apparently. I would take Benn over Mike Richards, but that's just me. He could play wing or center and is just better.

I was trying to do some of the lines and it's EXTREMELY hard because there's soooo many good players your leaving off the roster. It's kind of unfair lol.

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos (Unstoppable line really)
Nash-Toews-Giroux
Hall-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Sharp

or

Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Nash-Toews-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Sharp

Defenseman are hard too because most of the best defenseman are right-handed.

Keith-Weber
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Staal/Hamhius-Subban
Seabrook

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad