2014 Sochi Olympics Discussion

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Will be rooting for the USA (obviously), Canada (JT), Switzerland (a friend has had family on the team in the past), and Norway (friend is from Norway, and I always like to root for the underdog). USA of course will be my #1 team though.

Edit: Looking at the Isles roster, we'll have a bunch of possible Olympians playing; Tavares (Canada), Visnovsky (Slovakia), Grabner (Austria), Nielsen & Regin (Denmark).

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Let's not forget an outside chance for Okposo if he shows up from day 1.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Moulson with a shot at USA.

Also...Go nucks!!!

Moulson's from Ontario, he would have to be having an amazing season to crack the Canadian roster in my opinon, but stranger things have happened. Rob Zamuner was once an Olympian for Canada.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Also pulling for Okposo even though he's a longshot. Problem is, Team USA is so deep at forward, he's about #14/15 on the depth chart.

He does have some national team experience and if he continues his play from the second half of the season, they'll be forced to give him a look.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Will be rooting for the USA (obviously), Canada (JT), Switzerland (a friend has had family on the team in the past), and Norway (friend is from Norway, and I always like to root for the underdog). USA of course will be my #1 team though.

Edit: Looking at the Isles roster, we'll have a bunch of possible Olympians playing; Tavares (Canada), Visnovsky (Slovakia), Grabner (Austria), Nielsen & Regin (Denmark).

Unless I totally missed the boat, I don't think Denmark qualified.

I can tell everyone that Germany also did not qualify. The others you mention are looking like likely Olympians.

If he can manage to start next season like he finished last, Okposo may even have an outside shot at Team USA. Maybe.

ZMan17

LGI
Nov 20, 2010
Tel Aviv
Unless I totally missed the boat, I don't think Denmark qualified.

I can tell everyone that Germany also did not qualify. The others you mention are looking like likely Olympians.

If he can manage to start next season like he finished last, Okposo may even have an outside shot at Team USA. Maybe.

Denmark didn't qualify. The last three in were Austria, Latvia and Slovenia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_qualification

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
Denmark didn't qualify. The last three in were Austria, Latvia and Slovenia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_qualification

Denmark failed (again), as they lost out to Slovenia despite home ice during the qualification tournament. Had the NHL lock-out lasted just one more month, I'm fairly sure Denmark would have qualified (Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Lars Eller, Mikkel Boedker, Jannik Hansen, Philip Larsen and Oliver Lauridsen would have made the team quite a bit better). Very frustrating.

At least Kopitar is a better player than any of the Danes, and I'm glad he gets a surprise chance to shine in the Olympics. Also, Germany losing out to Austria was probably an even bigger surprise. Looking forward to seeing Grabner!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm diggin the love for JT obviously. Looking forward to a Canada-USA gold medal game... And I've been pushing for a Canada-USA showdown 7 game series on NA ice for years now. I think its time we start pushing this idea on both sides of the 49th.

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna
I would love to see Grabner together with Vanek. I'm not sure if that ever happened yet, but if, then it had to be a very rare occasion, because almost at every world championship one of both was either injured or in playoffs or just didn't get the green light from his team for whatever reason.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
Will be one of the rare times I'm fully rooting against JT!

This is why I think the current Olympic hockey is a waste of time. I am an Islanders fan 24/7/365,but for 2 weeks every four years I am supposed to suspend my loyalties to a team and players and root for US born players who I watch play for other teams and root against every day? I am supposed to root for that right wing nut job Tim Thomas because he is wearing the USA jersey but root against JT? Not happening.

The time for the Olympic hockey is long gone. Add in the time difference in Sochi and we will all know the scores before the games are even broadcast or will to skip sleep or work to watch live.It is all not worth it. The NHL should have said no to 2014. It is an unnecessary side show designed to capture the casual fan who doesn't give a crap about hockey to begin with. 1980 will never ever happen again. Time to move on.

fishstick

Mar 4, 2013
Europe
Will be rooting for JT on Team Canada. Will be interesting how he does on another team, with different line mates.
Slovakia and Austria are teams I followed on international tournaments in the past, so would be nice to see Vis/Grabs with them. Slovakia did well in the last Olympics. :nod: Besides Vanek (if healthy) Grabs won't have a lot of support I fear.
Too bad Denmark didn't make it, could have been a lot of Islanders at the tournament.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Quite possible there won't be an American team to route for depending on what happens with Snowden.

Not saying it's likely but it's certainly not something to ignore.

-If the US boycotts Sochi, we'll have far more to worry about than the Olympics. Like worldwide energy price spikes.

-If Russia materially assisting a despot killing his own people (Assad) doesn't cause an Olympic boycott, nothing will. So, this won't either.

- The idea that the Olympics stands for something more than a gigantic professional sporting event with countries as proxies for Pro Teams is a fantasy we engage in with the most shallow of pretenses. The Olympics is like summer blockbuster, where there are enormous explosions, but only the bad guys die.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Quite possible there won't be an American team to route for depending on what happens with Snowden.

Not saying it's likely but it's certainly not something to ignore.

-If the US boycotts Sochi, we'll have far more to worry about than the Olympics. Like worldwide energy price spikes.

-If Russia materially assisting a despot killing his own people (Assad) doesn't cause an Olympic boycott, nothing will. So, this won't either.

- The idea that the Olympics stands for something more than a gigantic professional sporting event with countries as proxies for Pro Teams is a fantasy we engage in with the most shallow of pretenses. The Olympics is like summer blockbuster, where there are enormous explosions, but only the bad guys die.

"American senator threatens boycott that would derail NHL’s Olympic dreams"

http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/17/american-boycott-nhl-olympics/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad