Prospect Info: 2014 Sharks prospect camp

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Alex Schoenborn ‏@aschoenborn22 30m
Amazing experience at my first NHL development camp! Thanks to the @SanJoseSharks trainers and coaching staff for making it a great week!

HockeyRube

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Mn fan here. Any news from camp on Justin Kloos? Undrafted invitee at the Sharks camp.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
should have taken a G in the first round :sarcasm:

That's what I was saying the whole draft day... Demko was hands down the pick the Sharks needed to make at 27 (not that I was disappointed in getting Goldobin).

If I remember correctly (and it's entirely possible I don't) Nieto was one of the better players at dev. camp last year.

That's because he was the best player at last year's development camp.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
That's what I was saying the whole draft day... Demko was hands down the pick the Sharks needed to make at 27 (not that I was disappointed in getting Goldobin).

With the way the Sharks develop goalies found in later rounds, Demko would have been a colossal mistake for the first round.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
There was honestly very little to report on this year's development camp. Last year's was far more competitive and there was just better high-end talent on the ice. Outside of Nieto, who looked like an NHLer skating out with a bunch of kids (gee shocker), none of the kids really shined or stood out. It could possibly have been the nerves of skating in front of thousands of people at SAP, opposed to the practice rink as last year's was. Or it could be just that we have a very diminished prospect pool right now.

A lot of people were complaining about Mirco Mueller's skating on HFboards (It's fair to say that there's some bias against him here). He did fall a number of times, which I seem to recall last year as well. However, none of them caused any kind of defensive breakdown or anything as dramatic as what people of been posting about. It was usually when he would try to pivot into position to receive a pass. Outside of that, he showed poise in the defensive zone and honestly was more physical in his board work than his partner Julius Bergman.

The scouting reports are pretty dead-on that Mueller and Bergman make simple, clean first passes. Bergman showed good-enough poise as well. A flaw I noticed with him is that at least three different times, Bergman went for a big hit and completely missed, putting himself way out of position. He stayed calm though and recovered well each time. (He did have one decent hit on Daniil Tarasov, who acted like a total baby afterward and Tarasov was completely invisible afterward.)

Mueller and Bergman were easily the two best defenders on the ice, but they weren't stand-out performers by even the slightest stretch. Joakim Ryan was pretty invisible after looking great at last year's camp. Dylan DeMelo looked completely lost at times and I expected a lot more for someone who has a year of pro on his résumé. Randy Gazzola (tryout) looked OK but I hoped for more. Rick Pinkston (tryout) wasn't bad. None of the other D were very impressive. In fact, I spoke with Mark Purdy today and he noted how the Sharks didn't waste any time signing Scott Hannan the day after development camp. That should give you an indication right there about how the readiness of the defensive prospects.

As far as the forwards go, without Goldobin there, there's not much to tell. Eriah Hayes looked a lot stronger than last year, as he should have. Ryan Carpenter showed some promise and generated a few chances. 6th rounder Kevin Labanc took two penalties, but probably showed the most effort of anyone there and had an assist on the first goal. Melker Karlsson scored a slick shootout goal and was OK during the scrimmage, while Petter Emanuelsson (who is inferior to Karlsson anyway) needs to get significantly stronger to even be an AHL factor at this point. He and Gabryel Boudreau both looked better at last year's camp. Boudreau continues to try too hard and ends up just looking clumsy. Todd Fiddler (tryout) had two or three impressive moments but wasn't noticeable beyond that. 3rd round pick Alex Schoenborn looked better than I thought he would, but that's not saying much. Jake Jackson had a great celebration on his goal into the wide-open net after Gazzola's wide shot caromed straight to him.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
With the way the Sharks develop goalies found in later rounds, Demko would have been a colossal mistake for the first round.

Two words: Warren Strelow

The only downside about Demko would have been that if Niemi doesn't keep his focus and Stalock can't prove himself to be more than a solid backup, we'd still have to wait years before Demko would be ready.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

The only downside about Demko would have been that if Niemi doesn't keep his focus and Stalock can't prove himself to be more than a solid backup, we'd still have to wait years before Demko would be ready.

And the Sharks have more pressing holes at forward and defense as far as prospects go.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The reality that it takes goalies 8 years more or less from draft day to materialize in the NHL ranks is why you don't use a first round pick on them. By the time you get real use out of them, they're at UFA range and cost control is pretty short in duration.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
We're getting some pretty varied opinions on Mueller atm.

Wilson 1st round pick. --->
Right now, lots of people don't like Wilson. --->
So, people don't like Mueller.

It's ridiculous.

The kid is a prospect, no more, no less. Judging him sweepingly through 1 prospect game is about par for the course for some people though.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
Thank you all for sharing your opinions/observation of development camp.

Some of you expressed their views on how he did in one of the games, white vs. teal team, but does anyone have a summary on how Kuraly looked?

Thanks

edit: I just saw in Le Rosbeef's post that there was just one prospect game which is indeed an awfully small sample size

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Wilson 1st round pick. --->
Right now, lots of people don't like Wilson. --->
So, people don't like Mueller.

It's ridiculous.

The kid is a prospect, no more, no less. Judging him sweepingly through 1 prospect game is about par for the course for some people though.

No, we don't like the idea of needlessly trading up to pick a defensive defenseman in the 1st round that as much as people here hate to admit, might not be very good. It's amazing how this place flips the script sometimes - we trade away a pick and it's "the odds of that guy panning out are low" and we pick a guy and it's "don't worry, he's absolutely going to pan out."

Nobody is judging him completely off this one game (when he wasn't even in shape), we were just posting our thoughts on this one game. A game where he wasn't good. Nieto (an NHL player) was dominant at times and Mueller (supposedly an NHL player and a top-4 D at that) wasn't anywhere close to that level.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
No, we don't like the idea of needlessly trading up to pick a defensive defenseman in the 1st round that as much as people here hate to admit, might not be very good. It's amazing how this place flips the script sometimes - we trade away a pick and it's "the odds of that guy panning out are low" and we pick a guy and it's "don't worry, he's absolutely going to pan out."

Nobody is judging him completely off this one game (when he wasn't even in shape), we were just posting our thoughts on this one game. A game where he wasn't good. Nieto (an NHL player) was dominant at times and Mueller (supposedly an NHL player and a top-4 D at that) wasn't anywhere close to that level.

Mueller isn't ready yet for the NHL. People that think he is NHL ready are misinformed. The kid is in all likelihood going to be very good...eventually. Give him time, he's just 19.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Mueller isn't ready yet for the NHL. People that think he is NHL ready are misinformed. The kid is in all likelihood going to be very good...eventually. Give him time, he's just 19.

Pfft. If a prospect isn't an impact player in the NHL by 19/20 they're a bust.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
No, we don't like the idea of needlessly trading up to pick a defensive defenseman in the 1st round that as much as people here hate to admit, might not be very good.

Actually I don't think people are saying that, are they?

I'm saying we don't know what he'll turn into. Could be great, could be the next Nick Petrecki. What I don't like is the conjecture that we somehow know what his future holds. Nobody does.

As for 'needlessly' trading up, I don't reckon the Sharks would have done so if they didn't believe a team ahead of us in that draft was going to take him, do you? Needlessly is a loaded comment and it's without proof.

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
Ray Ratto ‏@RattoCSN 5m
Doug Wilson just drained a delicious poison IPA RT @KThakur20: Hertl injures knee at development camp

I wonder is this is any different than the "tweaked" knee updates.

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad