2014 Penticton NHL Young Stars Tournament

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It should be noted that Ferland also said he wants to be the best player in this tournament.

Wait....

Our own prospect said the same thing as Shinkaruk?!?!?

Time to rip into Ferland, right guys?
Shinkarauk has shown arrogance before. But if Ferland said it seriously, I would probably die laughing.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Hey I read an article and wanted to quote our new GM and what he said:

"Far too often, I find at these things -- especially with some of the higher-profile guys -- that there's all these expectations. You know what? They're still young men. They're young guys. This is Sam's first camp, so for us, there's not a lot of pressure on him."

This really got me thinking of the way Treliving envisions the rebuild.

The impressions I get from HF in general, is everyone forgets that the age bracket of 18-24 is still very young and it's rare a player finds a lot of success while still growing and learning the game. Players such as Gio, Glencross, Hudler, Raymond, and Stajan are examples of players that took time to develop and learn the game. Guys like Colborne, Brodie, Backlund are at the critical stage of reaching to that next level......approaching the point where you can start to see where the ceiling is for growth.

Next are players like Sven, Geadreau, Granlund, Reinhart.....these are the older of the kids and should still see 2-3 years of development.

Then it's Monahan and Bennett.....so on and so on... Who are even younger and have 5-6 years of growth before being Colborne's age....

What I'm getting at is, no wonder Treliving went out and signed all these vets. If anyone of our 'super kids' earns a spot, great, but I find it highly unlikely.

For Treliving...walking into this Franchise and already having to rely on Monahan, Brodie, Colborne as young as they are, makes me think that's enough 'youth' for awhile until these kids get some games in them.

Guys like Hudler, Glencross, hell all of them don't want to be last place....it might take awhile before we see these kids play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It should be noted that Ferland also said he wants to be the best player in this tournament.

Wait....

Our own prospect said the same thing as Shinkaruk?!?!?

Time to rip into Ferland, right guys?

I think it was InfinityIggy who made the salient point: there's a difference between saying you want to be the best player and saying you expect to be the best player. The latter essentially says you don't think there are other players as good as you.

Or maybe there isn't any difference and it's all semantics. I brought up this quote mostly to incite some rivalry-banter and get our heads in the game in terms of making sure we are all on board with hating all of the players we have to hate. ;)

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Hey I read an article and wanted to quote our new GM and what he said:

"Far too often, I find at these things -- especially with some of the higher-profile guys -- that there's all these expectations. You know what? They're still young men. They're young guys. This is Sam's first camp, so for us, there's not a lot of pressure on him."

This really got me thinking of the way Treliving envisions the rebuild.

The impressions I get from HF in general, is everyone forgets that the age bracket of 18-24 is still very young and it's rare a player finds a lot of success while still growing and learning the game. Players such as Gio, Glencross, Hudler, Raymond, and Stajan are examples of players that took time to develop and learn the game. Guys like Colborne, Brodie, Backlund are at the critical stage of reaching to that next level......approaching the point where you can start to see where the ceiling is for growth.

Next are players like Sven, Geadreau, Granlund, Reinhart.....these are the older of the kids and should still see 2-3 years of development.

Then it's Monahan and Bennett.....so on and so on... Who are even younger and have 5-6 years of growth before being Colborne's age....

What I'm getting at is, no wonder Treliving went out and signed all these vets. If anyone of our 'super kids' earns a spot, great, but I find it highly unlikely.

For Treliving...walking into this Franchise and already having to rely on Monahan, Brodie, Colborne as young as they are, makes me think that's enough 'youth' for awhile until these kids get some games in them.

Guys like Hudler, Glencross, hell all of them don't want to be last place....it might take awhile before we see these kids play.

That is exactly how I've felt the last year, and I am totally ok with that. Let the kids grow in the AHL. If we rush them too early, it's only going to kill them, and I have no interest in doing that sort of thing anymore.

Aug 3, 2010
Shinkaruk hasn't scored 5 minutes in vs the Oilers, kid's a bust nevermind far from the best in the tournament. :sarcasm:?

Trae

Calgary
And Ferland actually ends up leading the tournament in goals and possibly points too?

Awesome.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Flames tournament MVP for me has got to be Ferland. Some great hockey out of him.

Any thoughts on whether we should sign any of the invites? Garnet Hathaway impressed me, especially in that last game, I don't think we should skip a player like him especially at a position of need like right wing. I liked Pavel Padakin, too, though I would've wanted to see him for more than just one game before making a decision like signing him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames tournament MVP for me has got to be Ferland. Some great hockey out of him.

Any thoughts on whether we should sign any of the invites? Garnet Hathaway impressed me, especially in that last game, I don't think we should skip a player like him especially at a position of need like right wing. I liked Pavel Padakin, too, though I would've wanted to see him for more than just one game before making a decision like signing him.
Hathaway is already signed to an AHL contract with the ADK Flames.

Aug 3, 2010
Been said before, but Carroll might actually have a future in the NHL if his overall level of play can consistently improve. He has a versatile skillset, decent size, and seemingly good awareness on the ice. Definitely not a bad choice for a 7th round draft choice - every pick counts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Been said before, but Carroll might actually have a future in the NHL if his overall level of play can consistently improve. He has a versatile skillset, decent size, and seemingly good awareness on the ice. Definitely not a bad choice for a 7th round draft choice - every pick counts.

I agree. Carroll more than held his own on the big line tonight. Really impressed. Got some good licks in, too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not saying this to put down Carroll because I like what I have seen, but it has to be considered that he is a 20 year old and is 2 years further in his development than other players in his draft class (except Smith, who is 19). Hopefully Carroll is signed to his ELC and joins the ADK Flames this season, I really think that is a better path than returning to the Royals as a 20 year old.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm not saying this to put down Carroll because I like what I have seen, but it has to be considered that he is a 20 year old and is 2 years further in his development than other players in his draft class (except Smith, who is 19). Hopefully Carroll is signed to his ELC and joins the ADK Flames this season, I really think that is a better path than returning to the Royals as a 20 year old.

That is fair, I forgot he was drafted as an overager. He really would need to continue his development in the AHL over the WHL if we should expect to ever hear of him again as a "legitimate" prospect.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Probably has been said many times, but did we use a 7th round pick on him because we didn't want to risk him getting invited to any training camps?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Probably has been said many times, but did we use a 7th round pick on him because we didn't want to risk him getting invited to any training camps?
I would assume that is the case, guarantee his rights rather than him becoming a UFA.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Not sure if this has been posted yet; the Bennett injury was tweaking his groin and expects to be back for main camp (He should play a pre-season game) but they are still evaluating.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I love watching Gaudreau interviews. The sheer humility this guy possess is extremely reminiscent of Iginla. So quick to pass praise on to teammates, blames himself for not keeping his head up on an extremely dirty elbow. Just a really charming and polite kid.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I love watching Gaudreau interviews. The sheer humility this guy possess is extremely reminiscent of Iginla. So quick to pass praise on to teammates, blames himself for not keeping his head up on an extremely dirty elbow. Just a really charming and polite kid.

Yep. How anyone can hate him is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad