2014 Penticton NHL Young Stars Tournament

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Taking a radically different approach from a lot of the other posters in this thread - I want to see how some of these guys can work at places other than their primary positions.

Klimchuk - Bennett - Gaudreau
This is the firepower line, and if used properly will eat other teams' defenses alive. Additionally, Klimchuk and Bennett are both great two-way players, and Bennett has the grit to be able to protect Gaudreau from bigger forwards. Good in all situations. Wanted to try Gaudreau on the off-wing to see how he adjusts, since there's a good chance he may end up playing there in the NHL.

Agostino - Arnold - Ferland
Integrity and hard work. All these guys project as middle-six options in the NHL and have gotten to where they are because they busted ass to get there. Will probably control the possession game. Ferland and Arnold are each gritty players, and Arnold will win enough faceoffs to allow the line to play a strong cycle game shift after shift. This line will also be able to eat minutes like nobody's business.

Granlund - Magee - Jooris
In some ways, this is a spare parts line. IIRC though Granlund and Jooris had some experience playing together for Abbotsford last season, though, so they will give us a good idea as to whether Magee is anything we should care enough to give a second look at. Magee may also feel good playing on a line with Jooris since Jooris was in his situation this time last year.

Van Brabant - Elson - Smith
This line is not going to score goals, but they are going to make the opposing team pull their hair out. Van Brabant and Smith are obviously both ****-disturbers, Elson just slots in nicely as a fourth-line forward.

Roy - Sieloff
Unlike most posters on this board, I think Roy has real top pairing potential. I paired his offensive game with Sieloff to add defensive integrity and to make sure that Roy's pass-first options wouldn't get eaten up by oncoming forwards.

Kulak - Kanzig
Kulak is on the smaller side and quick. Kanzig is on the bigger side and slow. Putting them together should be able to even out each others' weaknesses much like the Roy - Sieloff pairing.

Culkin - Neill
Again, a bit of a spare parts pairing. Like the look of Neill simply because of his size, putting him with an established defender in the system should show us whether he is worth a second glance.

Ortio
Our top goaltender in the system right now, no question.

McDonald
Will get a few starts so management can start to outline a development path for him.

I actually like this lineup. That first line is stacked like... Crazy stupid.

I would rather see Smith up on the third line and Jooris on the fourth. Smith has got some decent upside to him (he might surprise a lot of people going forward), while I think we all kind of know what Jooris is.

One way or another this Flames team should run away with this tourney, I wish I could go honestly.

Aug 3, 2010
From other prospect reports I have read, Klimchuk seems to be an ideal above-average skill, Swiss-Army-Knife complementary style of winger. I'd like to see him across from Smith or Ferland as he could potentially mesh with their style of game and elevate the line as a whole.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
can people not read the links provided? seriously how many people will ask if the games can be watched anywhere when the link for the rosters provides this information,

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Ive been saying klimchuk could be our patrick sharp. All around 2way winger, i hope his offence progresses nicely this year. Big tourney for him, interested to see how he does compared to a guy like agostino or granlund.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ive been saying klimchuk could be our patrick sharp. All around 2way winger, i hope his offence progresses nicely this year. Big tourney for him, interested to see how he does compared to a guy like agostino or granlund.
I think Klimchuk is our best prospect on the wing after Sven and Gaudreau. He plays a fantastic all around game, plays in every situation, has a good shot, uses his linemates well, skates well, plays with alot of heart and does so while playing a controlled game. IMO at worst he will be a 2nd line winger for us down the road.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
@patersonjeff
#Canucks Shinkaruk on Penticton tourney: 'I expect to be one of the best players in the tournament if not the best'

tumblr_mbrhp3UmTE1rdutw3o1_500.gif

Can't wait to watch these games. Johnny Gaudreau's gonna teach this guy a thing or two.

Aug 3, 2010
@patersonjeff
#Canucks Shinkaruk on Penticton tourney: 'I expect to be one of the best players in the tournament if not the best'.

I don't care overly much if Gaudreau or Bennett or any non-Canucks prospects shows him up. This tournament should be almost meaningless for any player who wasn't drafted inside the first round.

I don't even really care about Shinkaruk's attitude. It's up to him how he wants to conduct himself from on-ice behaviours to media sound bites. But the 'problem' I have with that tweet is the fact the kid's not even the best prospect in the Canucks' organization.
Both Horvat and Virtanen project to be better players than he. I think highly of Horvat, he's a young talent any team would want in their system; Virtanen has fantastic raw talent even though I feel he's not bright enough to use it all.

I'll take the humble and hard-nosed Poirier over Shinkaruk, and he's not even playing at the tournament.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
@patersonjeff
#Canucks Shinkaruk on Penticton tourney: 'I expect to be one of the best players in the tournament if not the best'

tumblr_mbrhp3UmTE1rdutw3o1_500.gif

Can't wait to watch these games. Johnny Gaudreau's gonna teach this guy a thing or two.

Sam Bennett? Leon Draisaitl? Darnell Nurse? :help: The kid's pretty full of himself if you ask me.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hunter Smith should pummel him.

Hunter Smith is one of the prospects I am very excited for. If he can put up 30 point seasons in his career, we found ourselves a solid 3rd line RW, one with size and fighting ability.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hunter Smith should pummel him.

Hunter Smith is one of the prospects I am very excited for. If he can put up 30 point seasons in his career, we found ourselves a solid 3rd line RW, one with size and fighting ability.

He looked pretty good at dev. camp, too. Moves well and has a great shot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sam Bennett? Leon Draisaitl? Darnell Nurse? :help: The kid's pretty full of himself if you ask me.

I think if Calgary picked him, we'd be applauding his confidence and saying 'that'a boy!'

I still remember how mad (me included) people were for passing in him. Let him be confident, he is a first rounder in a tournament with later picks and invites, he should be one of the top players.

I mean, I think there are much higher end players there. I personally think that teams are going to be kicking themselves on how to shut down Bennett and Gaudreau together.

Aug 3, 2010
I think if Calgary picked him, we'd be applauding his confidence and saying 'that'a boy!'

I still remember how mad (me included) people were for passing in him. Let him be confident, he is a first rounder in a tournament with later picks and invites, he should be one of the top players.

I mean, I think there are much higher end players there. I personally think that teams are going to be kicking themselves on how to shut down Bennett and Gaudreau together.

I for one was not clamouring for Shinkaruk on draft day.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wasn't too high on Shinkaruk either. I was hoping Mantha dropped to us. Once he got picked, I didn't mind who we got. McCarron was another I liked, but after what I see in Poirier/Klimchuk, I am happy with our scouting staff with these late 1sts.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

No I wouldn't.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

I disagree, although I see where you're coming from. Coming out and saying you're the best like that (especially when you're not the best) is really just poor sportsmanship. I'd much rather have prospects like Bennett who has said that although his goal is to make the Flames this year, he really just wants to do whatever the organization determines is best for him, not saying "the Flames are a **** team, I should be the #1 centre this year".

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Man am I ever glad we passed on this goof.

Ya. If only he had Sven Baertschis' "I shouldn't be here, I'm to good for this" attitude. That attitude doesn't seem to be working out very well for Sven.

I don't get all the Shinkaruk hate from the Flames fans. He is a Calgary boy and a hell of a prospect. All he did wrong was get drafted by a joke of a organization. When the Flames picked Poirier many Flames fans were outraged because Shinkaruk was still on the board.

Lets face it, if a Flames prospect said the exact same thing, we would all be applauding it.

Shame on him for wanting to be the best.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ya. If only he had Sven Baertschis' "I shouldn't be here, I'm to good for this" attitude. That attitude doesn't seem to be working out very well for Sven.
I don't get all the Shinkaruk hate from the Flames fans. He is a Calgary boy and a hell of a prospect. All he did wrong was get drafted by a joke of a organization. When the Flames picked Poirier many Flames fans were outraged because Shinkaruk was still on the board.

Lets face it, if a Flames prospect said the exact same thing, we would all be applauding it.

Shame on him for wanting to be the best.

Lol, until he says it your comparison is bunk. Speculation on Svens attitude is just that, speculation.

No we wouldn't, speak for yourself. There are lots of times I have soured on a Flames prospect for doing or saying something stupid. If your homerism blinds you, that is your own problem.

There is a big difference between saying 'I am the best' and saying 'I want to be the best', the former makes you a goof.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary

To be fair i really didnt want him, i dont think theres anything wrong with what he said tho so agree with you there

Trae

Calgary
Shinkaruk is just saying if he can't be the best, he'd like to be one of the best at this tournament. Which is something he is actually capable of doing and every prospect in the tournament should be striving for.

Trae

Calgary
It should be noted that Ferland also said he wants to be the best player in this tournament.

Wait....

Our own prospect said the same thing as Shinkaruk?!?!?

Time to rip into Ferland, right guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad