2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Fart

Jan 4, 2014
Hey Sean. Haven't seen your thoughts lately on any OMHA or ETA players lately. What are you seeing/hearing? Would like your advice.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
In my earlier top 40 98 born players I had Felhaber ranked o go in the early second round since that date he has gone on an absolute roar, I would hae to say I was way wrong with the guy he I a legitimate top 5 contender.

Bitten may be on off the best skaters in the draft, he receives a pass like an NHLer right now something a lot of players cant do. I think where ever he is pick he will be a steal.

Hotchkiss has been an on again off again player, he is a dynamic player when he is on I believe he is easily going top 10, a very impressive player.

Ang is defiantly the fastest 98 born player in Ontario, he has speed to burn, I think he will turn into a solid player at the next level, he reminds me a bit of Josh Ho Sang. I can see London, Oshawa, or Erie taking him.

Luce I would take in the first round in a heart beat, I like his all around game, he will probably go in the second round maybe third but I can defiantly see him playing in the OHL next season with big minutes.

Poirier has to be one of the best Speed, Hitting and Skilled combo, he doesn't go a shift without a hit. His compete level is high and he wants to score on every shift, tink he will translate well to the next level.

Sicoly isn't having the dream season but is still averaging a point a game, I am ure somebody will take him and he will take off. In two three years he could be one of the best players from this draft.

My TOP TEN as of today would look like

1) Chychrun
2) Mascherin
3) Mcleod
4) Pu
5) Pastujuv
6) Mete
7) Saigeon
8) Felhaber
9) Jones
10) Hotchkiss
HM)Mendonca, Dunn, Barron

lastplace

Mar 17, 2013
I haven't seen him play, but there seems to be a strong opinion that Brown is a top 5 pick. Again, this is what I've heard or read. Dual citizen. Jeff Brown is from Ottawa.

lastplace

Mar 17, 2013
I've seen the JRC play quite a few times; Rymsha has always been a player that has stood out. Another one is Dane. He may not be the biggest player, but he goes full out on every shift.

Both Rymsha and Hancock are undervalued players. They may not be the top players on JRC, but they would be top players on most other teams in the province.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Hey Sean, do scouts (you included) look at player statistics often? I know you can't make a decision based on stats but how much of a factor do teams see it as?

You have to remember we all pretty much started doing this when the only stats that we got where highly, highly subjective team stats. We didn't put much stock in the truth of those.

I can only speak to those within my circle and those who I know, but I can't think of any that put a significant amount of importance on it. If a player is a scorer, you'll see it, if hes a playmaker, you'll see it.

Stats can be good to cement a belief, but its not something alot of guys put stock in, they arn't discussed at all when we talk about players upside.

TableTop

Dec 31, 2013
You have to remember we all pretty much started doing this when the only stats that we got where highly, highly subjective team stats. We didn't put much stock in the truth of those.

I can only speak to those within my circle and those who I know, but I can't think of any that put a significant amount of importance on it. If a player is a scorer, you'll see it, if hes a playmaker, you'll see it.

Stats can be good to cement a belief, but its not something alot of guys put stock in, they arn't discussed at all when we talk about players upside.

Sean,

I see you have posted a sample prospect writeup on Twitter which is very interesting to see.

Can you share what your Prospect Level rankings (e.g., 1 through 4) reflect in these writeups?

Is there any similarity to the categories that OHL Central Scouting uses (e.g., AA, etc)?

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Sean,

I see you have posted a sample prospect writeup on Twitter which is very interesting to see.

Can you share what your Prospect Level rankings (e.g., 1 through 4) reflect in these writeups?

Is there any similarity to the categories that OHL Central Scouting uses (e.g., AA, etc)?

Correct, just our version of it. Level 1 is a high end player, Level 2 a player who may need a year, etc.

I never see the OHL Central Rankings, so I can't say if ours bare any resemblance to theirs, but I'm told generally they are close.

ohlscouting

Jun 5, 2013
Hey Sean, another good prospect that played for Waterloo is Luke Israel who I believe is at prep school. What is the status on him (if you know that is) and I would assume he would be going the NCAA route like Griffin Luce. And would you know of other prospects that are committing to the NCAA?

lastplace

Mar 17, 2013
What draft philosophies do you support.
1. Draft best player available, regardless of position

2. Draft for needs, taking the best player available at a position of need.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
As of right now, the Belleville Bulls would own the first pick, so would Chychrun report to the small market, big ice of Belleville? Would George and Barclay EVER pass up on this kid? Interested in hearing you guys thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad