2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not Chewer, but Mascherin is the most offensively gifted player available. Macleod is a more explosive skater, but Mascherin is more powerful, thinks the game at a higher level, has a wide/powerful stance, and his shot and release are second to none.

Thanks Gary. I read some where that his stats were incredible.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Thanks Gary. I read some where that his stats were incredible.

With the Rangers losing only 1 d-man this year then another next year I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers take a forward if they pick 2nd or down.
The Rangers have Hora, Blaisdell and Pederson (younger brother of Brent) on d for at least the next 3 to 4 years. Plus their 13 draft pick Charlie McAvoy is highly regarded as one of the best in his draft year (but committed to BU).
The Rangers could easily trade away a d-man or two to make way for Chychrun.

In a way I would love to have a highly skilled forward drafted though. I suspect he would make some of the younger forwards
play better.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Chewer if the Rangers finish last we know the will take Chychrun. If second or third I think they take a skilled forward. Who do you think would be the best of this 2014crop at forward and do you think he will have an impact in his first year on the score sheet?

If you want a pure playmaker with a lot of skill, then you take Mcleod.

If you want the best finisher, you take Mascherin.

There seems to be more high end forwards in this year's draft then dmen, and thus they would want Chychrun first and foremost, and then could use 2nd and 3rd round picks to select forwards. Chychrun will have more of an impact in the OHL next year than any other player in the draft.

ohlscouting

Jun 5, 2013
Disagree. Felhaber in a different league then every other player in tourney.

Some notes from the Peterborough Tournamant:

Ottawa Valley Titans: Felhaber- highly skilled player, great hands and skates well, very intelligent, finds space to score goals, accurate wrist and one timer shots on net.
Projected 10-20 spot in draft.

Collins- Sees the ice well, good passer, and playmaker.

Ottawa 67's: Bitten- highly skilled player, plays on the edge with lots of grit, high compete level.
Projected 10-20 in draft.

Niagara North: St Onge- pure goal scorer, very dangerous offensive player
Projected 2nd round

Wells- very technically sound goalie, controls rebounds very well, good positioning, plays the puck with confidence. 3rd round projection

Eastern Ontario: Mattinen- Big solid D, moves the puck out competently, can rush the puck or makes a good first pass

Halton: Nother- has all the tools, size and speed to jump to the next level.
Projected 10-20

Lawr- Big framed goalie with good lateral movement, great stick for a goalie, makes first save, could battle more when pressure is on. 2nd round projection

Kingston: Tonge- skilled player, with high compete and edge to his game.
Projected 2nd Round

Paquette- didn't not show too much at this tournament, but is a offensive talent. 4th round projection

Grey Bruce: Caskanette- at times can be one of the most dangerous forwards around, great bursts of speed and shifty, hard shot, needs to compete every shift.
Projected 3rd round would be higher if he played on a more competitive team.

Lewis: watched him against the Ottawa Titans, stood on his head, had to make a lot of high quality saves including one on a Felhaber breakaway. Quick with great lateral movement. Projection later round pick

Markham: Ang- I definitely see him going somewhere in the first round, great skater, intelligent, accurate shot would like to see him more competitive

Soo Thunder: Senecal- very impressed with his total game, sees the ice well and can shoot the puck well. Mid round selection

Brampton: Jacome- small forward but very effective, his size does not limit what he can do on the ice, high compete level. Later round pic in my opinion

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Reynolds on Ottawa 67's will be their best prospect and has all the tools to make it at the next level and NHL.

TableTop

Dec 31, 2013
Reynolds has the size to make the jump to the next level. Bitten showed better at the tournament last weekend.

Bitten is a difference maker virtually every time he steps on the ice.

Personally, I don't get the fascination with Reynolds.

While he is much bigger than his peers at the moment (6ft 1in, 200lb), he was the 4th or 5th leading point getter on his team last year (Eastern Ontario Wild) and is the 4th or 5th leading point getter on a better team this year (Ottawa Jr 67s) and he seems to get the majority of his points against the crappy teams.

If he ever makes it to the OHL his size advantage will be gone.

I don't see the upside.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
One OEMHL player who I'm curious about is Cameron Welsford.

Anyone have any viewings? I haven't read much about the senators roster this year.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Was puttering around elite prospects today and found out that Kyle Maksimovich has a brother who's 6'3.

I wonder if we'll see a similar growth like Marner last year.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009

While he is much bigger than his peers at the moment (6ft 1in, 200lb), he was the 4th or 5th leading point getter on his team last year (Eastern Ontario Wild) and is the 4th or 5th leading point getter on a better team this year (Ottawa Jr 67s) and he seems to get the majority of his points against the crappy teams.

I don't see the upside.

Bitten, just like Konecny appeal to the OHL teams because they will be 4 ,maybe 5 year OHL players and their teams will benefit for 5 years. That's why OHL GMs pick players that will help OHL teams during their lengthy stay rather than draft players that may definitely bolt after 2,3 or 4 years to the NHL, or AHL (4 year players only).

lastplace

Mar 17, 2013
That's a great point Chewer. Teams always project their rosters several years out and draft according to value and need. Always room for high energy kids with blazing speed and soft hands. There's also a chance Bitten grows some more and becomes a dominant player at the next level. He has everything else. Teams covet players with his complete game.

8711hockey

Jan 1, 2014
One OEMHL player who I'm curious about is Cameron Welsford.

Anyone have any viewings? I haven't read much about the senators roster this year.

really like welsford. seen him 6-8 times. good two-way dman. good defensively and has a nasty streak. has shown some offensive flashes. a couple weeks ago I watched him dance two defenders and then walk in on the goalie and snipe it over the goalies glove. should be a pick this year. and has great chemistry with dman partner William brown.

8711hockey

Jan 1, 2014

I don't see the upside.

I see what your saying about Reynolds. I see both sides. on one hand hes got the size and skill while being a good skater. on the other hand he is inconsistent. this may be why you don't get what the hype is about. probably viewed a bad game.

size and skill are what intrigues people. already played two jr.A games this season as well. a league with players as much as 5 years older (93-97's)

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Some notes from the Peterborough Tournamant:

Ottawa Valley Titans: Felhaber- highly skilled player, great hands and skates well, very intelligent, finds space to score goals, accurate wrist and one timer shots on net.
Projected 10-20 spot in draft.

Collins- Sees the ice well, good passer, and playmaker.

Ottawa 67's: Bitten- highly skilled player, plays on the edge with lots of grit, high compete level.
Projected 10-20 in draft.

Niagara North: St Onge- pure goal scorer, very dangerous offensive player
Projected 2nd round

Wells- very technically sound goalie, controls rebounds very well, good positioning, plays the puck with confidence. 3rd round projection

Eastern Ontario: Mattinen- Big solid D, moves the puck out competently, can rush the puck or makes a good first pass

Halton: Nother- has all the tools, size and speed to jump to the next level.
Projected 10-20

Lawr- Big framed goalie with good lateral movement, great stick for a goalie, makes first save, could battle more when pressure is on. 2nd round projection

Kingston: Tonge- skilled player, with high compete and edge to his game.
Projected 2nd Round

Paquette- didn't not show too much at this tournament, but is a offensive talent. 4th round projection "

Grey Bruce: Caskanette- at times can be one of the most dangerous forwards around, great bursts of speed and shifty, hard shot, needs to compete every shift.
Projected 3rd round would be higher if he played on a more competitive team.

Lewis: watched him against the Ottawa Titans, stood on his head, had to make a lot of high quality saves including one on a Felhaber breakaway. Quick with great lateral movement. Projection later round pick

Markham: Ang- I definitely see him going somewhere in the first round, great skater, intelligent, accurate shot would like to see him more competitive

Soo Thunder: Senecal- very impressed with his total game, sees the ice well and can shoot the puck well. Mid round selection

Brampton: Jacome- small forward but very effective, his size does not limit what he can do on the ice, high compete level. Later round pic in my opinion

Paquette will be an early 2nd rounder, no way he skips to te fourth in my opinion.

watcherofhockey

Jan 19, 2014
May not be at the tops of his game right now but there's too much Ohl potential there.

Heading into the Peterborough tournament he had 13 points in Kingston's last 5 ETA games; in which the entire Kingston team accounted for 16 goals.

Like you and the posters before, I think he's definitely in that 15-25 range and has a great chance to be a player that in a few years from now looks like an even better pick than where he was selected.

With his skillset and size, he's got a pretty legitimate chance to develop into an NHL type prospect.

On the other hand, it will be interesting to see where Tonge winds up going. He's got one heck of a shot and some above average offensive skills but the lack of top-end skating ability and some selfish play with the puck will probably be red flags for OHL teams. Should be interesting, nonetheless.

OttawaHockeyFan

Jan 8, 2014
Reynolds has the size to make the jump to the next level. Bitten showed better at the tournament last weekend.

Reynolds definitely has the speed, tools and size to make it to the next level. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

Bitten has shown well all year. He and Felhaber are the class of the Ottawa group.

Other Ottawa based players that intrigue are Poirier (UCC), Collins (OVT), Mattinen (EOW) and Brown (Ott Jr Sens).

All draftable IMO. All have the ability to play at the next level.

ohlscouting

Jun 5, 2013
Exactly my thoughts when I read that. He'll find a spot in the second round at worst

Placing in the OHL priority selection draft depends what a player does at the end of the season when it matters. Paquette did not impress at the Peterborough tournament as compared to his teammate Tonge. It will be a competitive draft this year and IMO I believe teams will pick more goalies than in past years because of the European rule change.

Paquette has the tools to be top 40 but it all depends how he does at the ETA's. Dunn from COW was also a disappointment at the tourney and he will also need to bring his compete level up.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Rumours are rampant that Logan Brown has signed with JRC. As if they needed him. Would have liked to see him on DMF,TT or, NYR to really showcase his talent.

When I made the comment months ago about a top end 98 headed to the GTHL, that was the guy. It's not happening now, due to the fact that the signing deadline was on Jan. 15th, I can say with certainty that the subject was explored. Logan is back playing with Indiana.

Placing in the OHL priority selection draft depends what a player does at the end of the season when it matters. Paquette did not impress at the Peterborough tournament as compared to his teammate Tonge. It will be a competitive draft this year and IMO I believe teams will pick more goalies than in past years because of the European rule change.

Paquette has the tools to be top 40 but it all depends how he does at the ETA's. Dunn from COW was also a disappointment at the tourney and he will also need to bring his compete level up.

You don't through away 5 months of views based on a bad weekend (weekend wasn't even that bad IMO). You make bad decisions making rash calls on players who have a bad week or so, that's when teams make mistakes (the OHL Cup is filled with it, see Steven Broek). There are 2 teams at the very least that have him in their top 15, and it doesn't sound like they are ready to move him out. He'll be a first round pick.

Bitten may not be given a chance in the OHL his first year, unless he grows and fills out. Felhaber will play in the OHL next year.

Bitten will be fine. Way to many small players like Jason Akeson, Alex Aleardi and Justin Azevedo have been successful in the league for teams to be worried about it. Its a discussion point, but my feel so far is that not to many teams are going to use that size to tear him down, they like to many aspects of his game (for good reason)

Just a quick ISO Video update...

This week we have our top OHL Draft prospect, Jakob Chychrun. People who have yet to see him play will get a chance to see why he is the slam dunk top choice for this years draft.

Last edited:

ohlscouting

Jun 5, 2013
When I made the comment months ago about a top end 98 headed to the GTHL, that was the guy. It's not happening now, due to the fact that the signing deadline was on Jan. 15th, I can say with certainty that the subject was explored. Logan is back playing with Indiana.

You don't through away 5 months of views based on a bad weekend (weekend wasn't even that bad IMO). You make bad decisions making rash calls on players who have a bad week or so, that's when teams make mistakes (the OHL Cup is filled with it, see Steven Broek). There are 2 teams at the very least that have him in their top 15, and it doesn't sound like they are ready to move him out. He'll be a first round pick.

Bitten will be fine. Way to many small players like Jason Akeson, Alex Aleardi and Justin Azevedo have been successful in the league for teams to be worried about it. Its a discussion point, but my feel so far is that not to many teams are going to use that size to tear him down, they like to many aspects of his game (for good reason)

The whole season is part of a process to evaluate talent, and of course the first 5 months will help in determining the proper evaluation on a player. Size, speed and Skills will determine the placing of a player in the draft. Each OHL team will highlight players that they are interested in, and will isolate these players while watching their games. From the Marlie tournament on to the OHL cup that's where decisions will be made. Stats can be misleading depending on team philosophy and many different factors. GTHL players will get more attention in the draft, but a true scout will look at all the different factors of a players performance and progress.

Candella or Lafontaine will improve their draft position depending on who wins their playoff series.

Players like Windsors Salintri or Grey Bruce's Caskanette would go higher in the draft if they played on a competitive team.

Goalies like Southern Tier's Moore or JRC's Vella are very talented but play for two of the best defensive teams and might give up 10 low quality shots per game on average. There are some very talented goalies that play for very weak defensive teams, such as Zach Bowman from last years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->