2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects cntd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalwolfman

Oct 17, 2013
Sudbury will do no such thing!!! That isn't a game we play and never will. Too many good prospects in this draft to consider doing this. And believe it or not with the graduation in Sudbury there will be alot of open positions. That means player agents will welcome their clients here. It means icetime in rebuild year. A first round player wants to play. Ask Capibanco and Timpano.

The Wolves will look to add up front even though a good solid defenceman is available in Stanley. Michael Pezzetta is a player that will be picked after the top 10 and the fear of him being snatched up by Barrie should be the single reason the Sudbury Wolves select him. He is the most feared player in the draft in fact the most aggressive forward that has a good accurate snap shot. He is big at 6'1 200lbs and isn't afraid to crash the net and work the corners. This player has Anthony Camara written all over him and he will cause fits to Sudbury if passed and picked up by Barrie or North Bay. We can't afford to miss on this guy. A future leader and will be our solid Left Winger for years. In fact with the graduation of Crisp and the oft injured Silk this guy will be a solid replacement and will fit nicely into the line up immediately. Only reason not to pick him if the comparable Travis Barron is available however he is expected to be plucked within the top 10.

Cause the Wolves don't have another pick til the fouth round picking twice. We should target Nick Hague 6'4 defender out of Kitchener. Big player that makes smart decisions, active stick and uses his size to contain oppostion.

Another player to watch for is Riley Stillman 5'11 180 defender with a one of the best point shots. Finds lanes well and is SMART.

Additional forwards in the rounds 5-8 to look for are,

Raphael Lecours out of Kapuskasing 6'3 205lbs. Lanky player that strips pucks with his reach, good hockey sense and vision. Little raw but at that spot and with his size something Sudbury has lacked in the forward position he would complement Pezzetta on the left side for the future of the Sudbury Wolves. Reminds me of Paul out of North Bay.

Adam Timlock RW 5'9 and growing. Blazing Speed. Non stop energy. This kid will cause fits in the offensive zone. We need a go getter player who can carry the offence and who is in shape!!! Him Baptiste and Noah Robinson would form a nicely right side in 2014.

In net Sudbury can look at Joseph Raaymakers around picks 7-9. 6'1 180lbs. Very athletic finishing 2nd in OHL combine. good lateral coverage and with quick refelxes. Needs to work on some parts but a good prospect behind Timpano.

And Center Jacob Miller from the Halton program. 6'1 160lbs still filling out. Quick skater, agile, finds the net regularly, shooters mentality and is a leader.

Those are some of my finds for where Sudbury is drafting. These players should be around where Sudbury is picking unless we make additional deals for picks before Saturday that could change the outlook in the first 3 picks. But overall any 4 of these guys would be a success moving forward.

Sudbury does not need project players coming in. We need players able to come in and learn the OHL game immediately and contribute. These players can do that if given the opportunity.

Thoughts people...

WJ

Great breakdown Mr. Jack, fascinating.

I too am a big Pezzetta fan and would take him over Barron, if I had both available to me. My gut feeling is Raaymakers will be gone by the time you have Sudbury consdiering him but I'm never good at projecting where goaltenders will go.

It would be great if anyone else on this thread with knowledge of a particular OHL team could provide a similar breakdown as to what that team's needs and wants might be. It would make following the draft on Saturday that much more interesting.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Top 6 Should Look Like:

1. SAR - Chychrun
2. KIT - Mascherin
3. OTT - Barron
4. BEL - Felhaber/Saigeon
5. MIS - McLeod
6. NIA - Felhaber/Saigeon

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Sudbury will do no such thing!!! That isn't a game we play and never will. Too many good prospects in this draft to consider doing this. And believe it or not with the graduation in Sudbury there will be alot of open positions. That means player agents will welcome their clients here. It means icetime in rebuild year. A first round player wants to play. Ask Capibanco and Timpano.

The Wolves will look to add up front even though a good solid defenceman is available in Stanley. Michael Pezzetta is a player that will be picked after the top 10 and the fear of him being snatched up by Barrie should be the single reason the Sudbury Wolves select him. He is the most feared player in the draft in fact the most aggressive forward that has a good accurate snap shot. He is big at 6'1 200lbs and isn't afraid to crash the net and work the corners. This player has Anthony Camara written all over him and he will cause fits to Sudbury if passed and picked up by Barrie or North Bay. We can't afford to miss on this guy. A future leader and will be our solid Left Winger for years. In fact with the graduation of Crisp and the oft injured Silk this guy will be a solid replacement and will fit nicely into the line up immediately. Only reason not to pick him if the comparable Travis Barron is available however he is expected to be plucked within the top 10.

Cause the Wolves don't have another pick til the fouth round picking twice. We should target Nick Hague 6'4 defender out of Kitchener. Big player that makes smart decisions, active stick and uses his size to contain oppostion.

Another player to watch for is Riley Stillman 5'11 180 defender with a one of the best point shots. Finds lanes well and is SMART.

Additional forwards in the rounds 5-8 to look for are,

Raphael Lecours out of Kapuskasing 6'3 205lbs. Lanky player that strips pucks with his reach, good hockey sense and vision. Little raw but at that spot and with his size something Sudbury has lacked in the forward position he would complement Pezzetta on the left side for the future of the Sudbury Wolves. Reminds me of Paul out of North Bay.

Adam Timlock RW 5'9 and growing. Blazing Speed. Non stop energy. This kid will cause fits in the offensive zone. We need a go getter player who can carry the offence and who is in shape!!! Him Baptiste and Noah Robinson would form a nicely right side in 2014.

In net Sudbury can look at Joseph Raaymakers around picks 7-9. 6'1 180lbs. Very athletic finishing 2nd in OHL combine. good lateral coverage and with quick refelxes. Needs to work on some parts but a good prospect behind Timpano.

And Center Jacob Miller from the Halton program. 6'1 160lbs still filling out. Quick skater, agile, finds the net regularly, shooters mentality and is a leader.

Those are some of my finds for where Sudbury is drafting. These players should be around where Sudbury is picking unless we make additional deals for picks before Saturday that could change the outlook in the first 3 picks. But overall any 4 of these guys would be a success moving forward.

Sudbury does not need project players coming in. We need players able to come in and learn the OHL game immediately and contribute. These players can do that if given the opportunity.

Thoughts people...

WJ

I'm impressed Jack. Every player mentioned is a player I view very highly when considering their future.

Hague, Stillman, Timleck and Miller have had a poor showing in my views. Love Lecours' and Raaymakers' potential as well...I am not sure Raaymakers will last until the 7th round but it's not totally a stretch

Mar 12, 2009
Top 6 Should Look Like:

1. SAR - Chychrun
2. KIT - Mascherin
3. OTT - Barron
4. BEL - Felhaber/Saigeon
5. MIS - McLeod
6. NIA - Felhaber/Saigeon

If he goes there, do you think Mascherin would be able to handle top 6 minutes for Kitchener this season (after some adjustment)?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Great breakdown Mr. Jack, fascinating.

I too am a big Pezzetta fan and would take him over Barron, if I had both available to me. My gut feeling is Raaymakers will be gone by the time you have Sudbury consdiering him but I'm never good at projecting where goaltenders will go.

It would be great if anyone else on this thread with knowledge of a particular OHL team could provide a similar breakdown as to what that team's needs and wants might be. It would make following the draft on Saturday that much more interesting.

Id also would take Pezzetta over Barron. On the low end, I see Remi Elie in Pezzetta. Barron's compete level varied quite a bit, going through stretches of just watching his team-mates compete while he sat back a bit. Pezzetta was always itching to go and carried a injury riddled team on his back, over achieving. Best forechecker in the 98 class and plays with more passion than any other 98.

SCTAFAN

Jan 31, 2014
I really don't see how you have Barron in the same class as these guys have seen him play few times this season and don't see it. Good player but really??

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
A lot of these mocks have Windsor taking Salinitri or Gleason in the first. I don't think that Salinitri wants to play in his hometown (only from what I've read). And I hope everyone is wrong about Gleason to Windsor (at least in the first round), we need talent up front.

Generalwolfman

Oct 17, 2013
I really don't see how you have Barron in the same class as these guys have seen him play few times this season and don't see it. Good player but really??

So many differing opinions on high end players, I'm really looking forward to Saturday to see how it plays out. If there is that much variation in speculation on where high end players might go, I can only assume the rest of the draft will contain a ton of surprises as well. Should be a fun day.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I take it the rumors of McLeod wanting to play closer to home are having legs?
;)

If he goes there, do you think Mascherin would be able to handle top 6 minutes for Kitchener this season (after some adjustment)?

Absolutely. He's probably the most OHL ready forward in this age group

A lot of these mocks have Windsor taking Salinitri or Gleason in the first. I don't think that Salinitri wants to play in his hometown (only from what I've read). And I hope everyone is wrong about Gleason to Windsor (at least in the first round), we need talent up front.

Haven't heard anything about Salinitri not wanting to play close to home. However, I don't think he ends up there anyways

Windsor could use help at any position. Look at how lost that blue line was without Koekkoek and Murphy. Gleason is a very good Dman. Don't underestimate that. However, I don't think he'll be WSR's 1st selection.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
;)

Absolutely. He's probably the most OHL ready forward in this age group

Haven't heard anything about Salinitri not wanting to play close to home. However, I don't think he ends up there anyways

Windsor could use help at any position. Look at how lost that blue line was without Koekkoek and Murphy. Gleason is a very good Dman. Don't underestimate that. However, I don't think he'll be WSR's 1st selection.

Dont' disagree, but Murphy will be back and Burns looked like their best defenseman in the playoffs; plus if they want Brown, Sanvido, Murray, Kotsovos to develop, these guys will need to play.

WEC

Nov 11, 2013
I remember last year, just before the draft, there was a complete list, and I think it was on the OHL website, but I could be wrong, of every eligible kid for the draft, complete with stats.
Anyone remember that, and if so, is the one for this years draft?

I remember last year, just before the draft, there was a complete list, and I think it was on the OHL website, but I could be wrong, of every eligible kid for the draft, complete with stats.
Anyone remember that, and if so, is the one for this years draft?
It should be released tomorrow if not later today. Look for the pdf format on the website or somebody usually posts the link here.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dont' disagree, but Murphy will be back and Burns looked like their best defenseman in the playoffs; plus if they want Brown, Sanvido, Murray, Kotsovos to develop, these guys will need to play.

Burns is a great player, well rounded. Mitchell Bryne on JRC is very similar. Similar scenario as well being on one of if not the best d-core in Ontario. Burns was #4 behind Capobianco, Henley and Spencer on a top team and Bryne #3 behind Mete and Chychrun. Bryne stepped up when those 2 players went down and showed that he is a capable puck carrier and pretty darn steady and safe on the backend. Similar frame to Burns too, moves well, engages players physically. Bryne will be a fantastic pick in the draft.

WEC

Nov 11, 2013
It should be released tomorrow if not later today. Look for the pdf format on the website or somebody usually posts the link here.

Thanks for that, I found it.
Very interesting, my sons buddy ( who is eligible for this draft, and pretty much why we still follow minor hockey ), saw this list, and isn't very happy. None of his tournament points are included in any totals, just league stats and no playoffs either. Even Mascherins points only reflect regular season, yet other leagues show all games played with points.
Anyone know why this may be? Seems GTHL guys are getting shortchanged regarding tournament points

Thanks for that, I found it.
Very interesting, my sons buddy ( who is eligible for this draft, and pretty much why we still follow minor hockey ), saw this list, and isn't very happy. None of his tournament points are included in any totals, just league stats and no playoffs either. Even Mascherins points only reflect regular season, yet other leagues show all games played with points.
Anyone know why this may be? Seems GTHL guys are getting shortchanged regarding tournament points
Scouts know the players on the radar without even checking stats. I wouldn't fret a few points being omitted if I were the prospect or anyone in their camp. If those players performed well in any showcase style tournament(which most AAA tourneys are in the GTA) the scouts already know who they are.

WEC

Nov 11, 2013
Scouts know the players on the radar without even checking stats. I wouldn't fret a few points being omitted if I were the prospect or anyone in their camp. If those players performed well in any showcase style tournament(which most AAA tourneys are in the GTA) the scouts already know who they are.

I agree totally, just found it weird when he showed me, that it looks like just the GTHL. Other kids are listed as playing 60 or 70 games, where GTHL guys are capped at 33, the season total.
No big deal, just wondered if anyone knew why that was

hockeyfanKW

Jul 17, 2002
Youngblood, DRKDRVR, Sykes
How are the KW players looking heading into the draft. Risers? Fallers? As both teams went to the Alliance finals and OHL Cup.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

His parents/advisers probably hear the stories that are passed word of mouth that never make the papers.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Youngblood, DRKDRVR, Sykes
How are the KW players looking heading into the draft. Risers? Fallers? As both teams went to the Alliance finals and OHL Cup.

-Hague: has definitely risen. Not tooting my own horn or anything, because I didn't see him in Bantam and maybe he wasn't the player then that he is now, but I liked him a lot from the very first time I saw him this year so I'm not surprised that others have begun to see the same thing

-Katchouk: probably holding steady. Teams love the style he plays and what he brings to the table. Speed, tons of compete, goal-scoring ability, two-way grit.

-Campbell: has likely fallen a bit. Excellent player with a lot of ability but seemed to always get shut down pretty easy when the Wolves played other top teams. Will still be a good pick in the 4-5th round range though. Don't ask why but I have a hunch that Kitchener likes him.

-Schneider: Well documented that his only detractor is his size. You absolutely love everything else about his game.

-Stanley: still an easy Top 15 pick and maybe Top 10

-Heibein: Will be a high pick. Look for him in rounds 3-4

-Phillips: He's been rising. People like his game even though he is heavy footed

-Kleine: Have seen his name pop up. I've never seen much from him in terms of production but he is a big body who can really move

-Lebold and Sparkes: Two underrated players I really like. Will be good picks. 5-7 for Lebold, 6-8 for Sparkes

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I know recently we have discussed the top goalies could be a toss up. Wanting the Steelheads to pick a goalie in the 2nd round is a personal want for myself. The organization needs someone to replace Martin eventually. We had great success by drafting Martin so I'm starting to think they may be inclined to take another JRC Goalie, Vella may be on our radar in that 2nd round.

Would that be too high to pick him or should we go elsewhere looking for goalies? Raaymakers? Lawr? Wells?

DRKDRVR*

Sykes covered it pretty well. I've added a bit to his comments.

Hague: has always had size, but I've always thought he was a bit soft. Too many unnecessary stick penalties for a kid that much bigger than everyone else. Season with 97's didn't show much. OHL camp will tell pretty quickly if he can use his size or if he's a gentle giant. Worth a shot as a 8-12th rounder.

-Katchouk: I think Boris consistently demonstrated the abilty to step up his game at every select tournament he played in this year. He's under-rated and will get more effective the more he's challenged. I think he'll be a physical force when his body starts to fill in over the next year or two. Playing in the OHL will wake up his true potential.

-Campbell: ignoring my other concerns about this kid, he doesn't seem to have grown in a couple of years. Despite an impressive season with his long-time "lineys" he looked very average during the Alliance all-star weekend and during the OHL combine games where his aggressive playing style was nuetralized by his size disadvantage.

-Schneider: completely agree. He's the brains of WW's top line. He and his dad have the same young-looking face so it's tough to guess if he's still got some growing to do. If it's yes, I'd want to have dibs on him. Tough to say what round I'd use to gamble that he's still going to grow.

-Stanley: agree

-Heibein: great kid, good size. May not have the footwork for the OHL level.

-Phillips: under-utilized. Under-rated.

-Kleine: would have loved to see what this kid could have done playing on the line with the KJR 99's.

-Lebold and Sparkes: agree

-Harrison: good vision and play making but very under-sized. Seems to be a late-grower so size might only be a temporary problem. Possible late-round project.

-Mercier: strong playoffs dad played in Q. Downside is that it's hard to separate personal success from the strength of his two line-mates. Don't know what he looks like in a tougher role. 12-15 round?

There may be others from KW worth considering. There are a couple on each AA team who didn't want to play on either AAA team due to politics and there are a few playing in other cities for the same reason.... some are looking stronger than some of the boys listed above. Possible later round picks for thorough scouts.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Chychrun has committed to play for the USA National Development team. The press release is out today. Griffin Luce also committed and regarding the future QMJH draft, Chad Krys committed and there is a rumour that Michael Campoli has committed as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad