Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
That's a hyperbolic statement. How in that scenario is Miller in the AHL? The kid has the size, speed, and puck skills that we need to add to the lineup.

Hagelin has tremendous chemistry with both Boyle and Moore when they're on the PK together.

Dorsett is a fine player, but they could easily sacrifice his cap hit and allocate it towards the more important core players.

Carcillo could fill in as the 13th forward for a lesser price.

I think you need to look up "hyperbolic." Nothing I said was hyperbolic. Hagelin isn't going to be on the 4th line. Miller on the 4th line is pointless. No harm in letting him play in the AHL a little longer and continue to develop.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Rust- Watch Thoronton play. One game this POs. Could we use that? Ok, check. He would be really really valuble for us. Don't you agree with that? You must.

Then what in goes name is that post you made with a bunch of irrelevant stats about?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
30+ year old players are require significantly less in a trade. Yea, in a perfect world you don't want a player on the wrong side of 30 but those are your options when you don't want to part way with players.

Our age structure right now is like (roughly):
23-23-30
26-24-25
24-x-39
28-34-28
24-29
26-26
24-29

It's not like we would be killed by a 34 y/o on a 3 year contract...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
-31- mentioned Ehrhoff before as a possible target if Staal gets dealt (not that much of a fan of moving him). What kind of package would yield us Ehrhoff?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Thornton would have to force his way here, and I don't think he's in any rush to leave San Jose. We also don't have a stockpile of young assets to send San Jose's way.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
speaking of Brassard, not saying I would.. but people talk about we'd have to trade him etc if we got Thornton/Spezz/ROR/etc.. With him being a RFA can't we just refuse to qualify him?

Brassard is to damn important. Two great playoffs and one solid regular season. Most important he is still Young.

SupersonicMonkey*

I think you need to look up "hyperbolic." Nothing I said was hyperbolic. Hagelin isn't going to be on the 4th line. Miller on the 4th line is pointless. No harm in letting him play in the AHL a little longer and continue to develop.

A use of exaggeration.

To claim a hypothetical that Miller would be in the AHL is hyperbolic because its an exaggeration. The kid played some minutes in the playoffs and the Rangers will be up against the cap and young players are going to have to play.

Miller has nothing left to prove in the AHL, he was over PPG in the AHL in 13-14.

The next logical step in the process is to develop at the NHL level over the course of the 6 month regular season prior to the playoffs.

Will Hagelin play on the 4th line? In my proposal, i am not labelling lines by number. I suggested rolling 4 lines. Hagelin can play up and down the lineup. He is versatile. Boyle wants more "responsibility". Well replacing one of his linemates with a clear upgrade would allow Vigneault to give that lime more 5v5 responsibility.

Dorsett is easily upgradeable. His 1.6 cap hit can be allocated elsewhere. Carcillo cost less by a fair margin.

And in my proposal it isn't Hagelin vs Miller. Its Miller vs Dorsett. Because Dorsett is the one coming out.

Miller and his potential is an upgrade.

Part of improving the team. However slight an upgrade is, even at forward # 12 is still an upgrade.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Didn't this whole board say the same thing about St Louis?

Its one thing to give up late first rounders and a pending UFA. Its another thing to move a young Stepan in a move for Staal. Just like it would've been to move say Kreider for MSL.

But yeah, even more so now with those picks gone.. its not the time to make a move that gets rid of a young piece for a guy about to be 30 who has shown signs of decline in Staal, or worse a 35 year old Thornton.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Its one thing to give up late first rounders and a pending UFA. Its another thing to move a young Stepan in a move for Staal. Just like it would've been to move say Kreider for MSL.

But yeah, even more so now with those picks gone.. its not the time to make a move that gets rid of a young piece for a guy about to be 30 who has shown signs of decline in Staal, or worse a 35 year old Thornton.

Yup. This team could barely afford to make the MSL trade for that reason. There is absolutely no way then can afford to do it again.

All this talk about the "cup window" is absurd. The "window" wasn't even open this year by most people's standards. Now is not the time to get all crazy trying to go over the top. Blasting the holes that would be necessary in the lineup to fit a big time center like that is absolutely not going to make this team suddenly better than the Kings. They need to be what they are now, and more. I truly think the only way to be that is to buyout Richards, insert Miller, resign everyone else possible and wait for the youngins like Kreider, Miller, Moore, any D prospects that might make the jump, even Stepan to an extent, to get a little better. Whether its assets or cap space that are the problem, the team is going to have to make big, big changes if they want a serious C upgrade given their current cap problem and lack of young assets. They'll blast one hole in the lineup to fix another. Not worth it. We know what we have here and what this team can do. It's not quite enough, but it's not far.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yup. This team could barely afford to make the MSL trade for that reason. There is absolutely no way then can afford to do it again.

All this talk about the "cup window" is absurd. The "window" wasn't even open this year by most people's standards. Now is not the time to get all crazy trying to go over the top. Blasting the holes that would be necessary in the lineup to fit a big time center like that is absolutely not going to make this team suddenly better than the Kings. They need to be what they are now, and more. I truly think the only way to be that is to buyout Richards, insert Miller, resign everyone else possible and wait for the youngins like Kreider, Miller, Moore, any D prospects that might make the jump, even Stepan to an extent, to get a little better. Whether its assets or cap space that are the problem, the team is going to have to make big, big changes if they want a serious C upgrade given their current cap problem and lack of young assets. They'll blast one hole in the lineup to fix another. Not worth it. We know what we have here and what this team can do. It's not quite enough, but it's not far.

They won't have to "blow up' anything if all you're worried about is the cap.. Whoever we were to bring in as a "#1C" be it ROR, Stastny, Joe, Spezza, etc would simply be replacing Richard's cap hit.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

No one has said anything about moving Stepan or Kreider. have they? :help:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

One person suggested there was minimal reason to keep kreider.. not sure why. Another said Stepan for Kesler was a good trade.... would like to see what else is going on that head, lol

They won't have to "blow up' anything if all you're worried about is the cap.. Whoever we were to bring in as a "#1C" be it ROR, Stastny, Joe, Spezza, etc would simply be replacing Richard's cap hit.

It would be, but that only leaves the cap increase for raises to EVERY free agent... The cap will go up by $6M the most, and Zucc is getting over half of that alone...

Grabovski might be a better stop gap in the sense that it won't cost us assets. If we're bent on O'Reilly, then Stastny may be a better choice in the sense that it won't cost anything but $, no assets included.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

I don't know how many people want it to happen, but Dagoon posted yesterday that there are talks between NYR and Carolina about Staal and Stepan "with other pieces involved"

No one said anything about Kreider, just saying I can live with the firsts being traded, but I would feel the same way about dealing a young winger like Kreider for an older winger that I would about moving a young center for an older center.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't know how many people want it to happen, but Dagoon posted yesterday that there are talks between NYR and Carolina about Staal and Stepan "with other pieces involved"

No one said anything about Kreider, just saying I can live with the firsts being traded, but I would feel the same way about dealing a young winger like Kreider for an older winger that I would about moving a young center for an older center.

Wait.. WHAT!?..

mti79

May 11, 2007
This will probably get lost in the transition to the new thread but what about Mike Richards if he's bought out by LA? He's a bigger center, is great on the PK (replaces Boyle) and could play anywhere in the lineup. You buyout Brad Richards, save 6.6 million. Pay Mike Richards $4 million or so. Use the extra cap space to help resign Dom Moore, Kreider, Brass, Zucc, maybe Stralman....

And yes, I know that 2.6 wouldn't pay for all of them, but I think it could help. You could also bring in some veteran defensemen on a PTO if they're unsigned. Pitkanen, Tallinder, Corvo, Engelland, Hainsey. Could provide veteran leadership from the bottom pair if you move Klein up with Staal if we lose Stralman. Some could be of use on the PP as well if healthy.

Krieder - Stepan - MSL
Nash - Brass - Zucc
Hagelin - M Richards - Fast
Miller - Moore - Dorsett

McD - G
Staal - Stral
Moore - Klein

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, too bad we need Richards' cap money to re-sign our free agents.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
A use of exaggeration.

To claim a hypothetical that Miller would be in the AHL is hyperbolic because its an exaggeration. The kid played some minutes in the playoffs and the Rangers will be up against the cap and young players are going to have to play.

Miller has nothing left to prove in the AHL, he was over PPG in the AHL in 13-14.

The next logical step in the process is to develop at the NHL level over the course of the 6 month regular season prior to the playoffs.

Will Hagelin play on the 4th line? In my proposal, i am not labelling lines by number. I suggested rolling 4 lines. Hagelin can play up and down the lineup. He is versatile. Boyle wants more "responsibility". Well replacing one of his linemates with a clear upgrade would allow Vigneault to give that lime more 5v5 responsibility.

Dorsett is easily upgradeable. His 1.6 cap hit can be allocated elsewhere. Carcillo cost less by a fair margin.

And in my proposal it isn't Hagelin vs Miller. Its Miller vs Dorsett. Because Dorsett is the one coming out.

Miller and his potential is an upgrade.

Part of improving the team. However slight an upgrade is, even at forward # 12 is still an upgrade.

Saying Miller wouldn't be on that team is not hyperbolic, dude. Hagelin is not going to play with Moore and Carcillo. That's not happening. He's going to play with MSL or Nash on the other wing.

Miller has shown absolutely nothing at the NHL level that indicates he should get that LW spot over Hagelin. At some point during the season next year, I can see Miller sticking. I can also see him making it out of camp as a 3C replacing Richards. What I can't see is either (a) him taking Hagelin's spot opposite Nash or MSL (depending on where Kreider slots) or (b) him playing on the 4th line.

That's not hyerbolic. That's common sense. The only thing hyperbolic is you saying my response was hyperbolic.

Upgrading Dorsett is fine by me, and I agree trading him for a 3-5 round pick would help with the cap crunch. He is valuable, but he can be replaced I think. I'd rather slot Fast or Lindberg into 4th line duties and play Miller as the 1C at Hartford than to put Miller on the wing on the 4th line. Because he sure as hell isn't going to play with MSL over Hagelin at this juncture. Miller's realistic options are (1) the 3C, (2) replace Pouliot on the Brass-Zucc line, or (3) Hartford #1C.

If, for some reason, Miller plays on the 4th line, that would be so dumb, I don't care if we "roll four lines." He'd be playing 12 minutes a night. He needs to play 16-20.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This will probably get lost in the transition to the new thread but what about Mike Richards if he's bought out by LA? He's a bigger center, is great on the PK (replaces Boyle) and could play anywhere in the lineup. You buyout Brad Richards, save 6.6 million. Pay Mike Richards $4 million or so. Use the extra cap space to help resign Dom Moore, Kreider, Brass, Zucc, maybe Stralman....

And yes, I know that 2.6 wouldn't pay for all of them, but I think it could help. You could also bring in some veteran defensemen on a PTO if they're unsigned. Pitkanen, Tallinder, Corvo, Engelland, Hainsey. Could provide veteran leadership from the bottom pair if you move Klein up with Staal if we lose Stralman. Some could be of use on the PP as well if healthy.

Krieder - Stepan - MSL
Nash - Brass - Zucc
Hagelin - M Richards - Fast
Miller - Moore - Dorsett

McD - G
Staal - Stral
Moore - Klein

Not a bad lineup, but switch Fast/Miller and Hagelin/Nash. Brass-Hags-Zucc intrigues the hell out of me. Richards/Nash/Miller is pretty enticing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad