Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
WEll since brass is rfa hell probably be looking to make around 4-5 mill, and with compensatory pics from others teams signing would you want to get the pick which is at least a first round? i think im right

What team is going to give him an offer sheet?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I have. Post concussion Boyle has been rather disappointing. Playing 12-14 minutes a game, with a lot of that time being on the PP seems like a perfect fit to me.

If he produces at the rate he was producing hte last two years - 35 pt pace for 82 games, that's still 25 more points than Klein would give us... and the drop off in defense might even be non-existant.

If he somehow improves those totals, the offensive impact would be even higher.

Think about those two moves in a vacuum. There is 50+ points in more offensive potential just be swapping Brassard with Stastny and Boyle w/ Klein.

Dude, you lost me here. You had a point until you said Stastny would yield 30 points more a season than Brassard.

As BRB mentioned, you do know that Stastny hasn't had 70 points in a season in over five years right?

Proclaiming Boyle as good a defensive defenseman as Klein is just foolish.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We have discussed this in the past. Give him an extra year to keep the cap number down. He is a very good skater. Those guys age well.

I hope not. He is a shell of himself. Similar to Nash

I am thinking Columbus. Philly and Pitt have too many centers as it is.

considering Philly still needs to a defence, count them in on Spezza

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Wouldn't mind him either, strictly on the 3rd pairing.

Similar to the Brassard for Stastny swap, I think a Klein for D. Boyle swap would improve this team too.

Defense probably improves, offense absolutely improves, between the two.
Im confused on what youre saying here KJ. Youre not talking about moving brass and klein, right? Or are you just talking where all 4 would fall depth chart wise?

I also disagreed that Stastny is better than Thornton. I'll give you Spezza and Kesler because I dont see their bodies and production holding up. Stastny is going to cost a pretty penny and Thornton would end up costing less AAV wise. Plus Thornton is the better point producer. I guess I'm just not sold on Stastny.

If they let Stralman walk and sign Dan Boyle on the cheap. They could possibly afford Stastny. Re-sign Poo. Trade Dorsett. Re-sign Dom Moore, Carcillo, boyle/winnik.

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-MSL
Poo-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle/Winnik-Moore-Carcillo

McDonagh-Girardi
Klein-Staal
Moore-D.Boyle

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I would take Boyle as a 3rd pairing guy with limited numbers and running the power play. I don't think it's a bad move for a 1 year deal.

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida
Teams have to prepare offers that they believe the player will actually accept. The Rangers have to determine how much they are willing to spend and how many years they are willing to give each of their RFAs.

That's what I'm talking about. Why not make that offer before the player tests the market. Instead of waiting for the market to demand a price and forcing our hand to match it

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Dan Boyle will be nothing short of a huge disappointment if he comes here. I literally don't think he's an upgrade on any d man that the rangers currently have. No interest whatsoever.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Dan Boyle will be nothing short of a huge disappointment if he comes here. I literally don't think he's an upgrade on any d man that the rangers currently have. No interest whatsoever.

so whos playing RD on the PP? yea no one with offensive ability. Shelter his minutes and he will do just fine. 2 yrs- 4 million per

Stralman will get longer term and McILrath has to play sometime unless dealt

Championship*

Why are people surprised the Rangers are calling about players? That's what they do.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

The problem is the rangers need to re-sign a lot of players...and potentially add a better center than Stepan...not necessarily a clear #1 but better than Step. And I love Step, he is improving every year, but I dont like him between Nash and Kreider. Step will still produce between Hags and MSL. Him and MSL have good chemistry, they are getting that one timer down.

Klein can play top 4 minutes. Might have to ride a veteran Boyle on the 3rd pair.

BarbaraAlphanse

Im confused on what youre saying here KJ. Youre not talking about moving brass and klein, right? Or are you just talking where all 4 would fall depth chart wise?

I also disagreed that Stastny is better than Thornton. I'll give you Spezza and Kesler because I dont see their bodies and production holding up. Stastny is going to cost a pretty penny and Thornton would end up costing less AAV wise. Plus Thornton is the better point producer. I guess I'm just not sold on Stastny.

If they let Stralman walk and sign Dan Boyle on the cheap. They could possibly afford Stastny. Re-sign Poo. Trade Dorsett. Re-sign Dom Moore, Carcillo, boyle/winnik.

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-MSL
Poo-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle/Winnik-Moore-Carcillo

McDonagh-Girardi
Klein-Staal
Moore-D.Boyle

I'm saying that replacing Brassard with Stastny and Klein with Boyle and keeping them in those positions could yield 50+ more points in a single season, for us.

I'm not advocating for either. I'm just saying that if those are the types of moves this FO makes this offseason, they'd be vast improvements to the team, offensively.

Defensively, Stastny is not worse than Brassard, and Boyle has never been worse than Klein minus this last year where he actually played like a defensive vegetable. :(

If, for example, those moves happened... to fit everyone under the cap there would need to be quite a bit of rookies playing... which in no way shape or form is ideal. But it is possible.

There are 3 glaring holes on this team. 1 - Lack of offense from the blue line 2 - Lack of a dominant 2c 3 - lack of size.

Given our cap situation, not all 3 of those will be fixed.

Over the last week, I have looked at a moderate change of roster, 80%... giving up Staal in place of the 2c and keeping as many of our current others as possible. Last night I looked at what it would be like to keep 90% of our current core guys, and swapping out Dorsett with Winnik and Klein with Boyle, adding size and blue line offense but not addressing the 2c option. Today, I'm saying that the team could improve the blueline and 2c but not improve size or even be able to keep too much of the roster.

There are alternatives, pros and cons to each.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.150m)
Jesper Fast ($0.805m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.800m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($4.000m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / Dan Boyle ($3.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,786,667; BONUSES: $1,380,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,313,333

--------

Personally... I don't want Stastny. I think ROR is the best we can hope for, minus some sort of move for a young C and some more young unproven talent coming our way.

I'd prefer to keep at least 80% of our current roster, as well. The above armchair GM is just to show that you can add in both Boyle and Stastny, while losing a lot of your current players.

Personally, I'd love to give Staal's spot to Allen and appraise him over the course of 30-45 games. In place of Staal, I'd love to get our future 2c: ROR, Granlund (highly unlikely), or someone else. After that, I'm in favor of keeping as much of the roster we went to the SCF with as possible. Boyle, the Moore's, even Poo.

But if we got Stastny... I don't think it wold be the end of the world, especially not over the next 3-4 years. Historically he has a much higher ceiling than Brass.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
so whos playing RD on the PP? yea no one with offensive ability. Shelter his minutes and he will do just fine. 2 yrs- 4 million per

Stralman will get longer term and McILrath has to play sometime unless dealt

I don't want to have a 6D who is only useful for 4 minutes a game. He's not good at d anymore, and he's only going to get worse.

With the rangers cap situation, 2-4 mill on a 6d who needs to be sheltered to not be a huge liability is absolutely insane, especially considering that he's not a young guy who's going to put it together and get better.

BarbaraAlphanse

In his worst 2 years of his career, he still has put up 25 more points than Klein.

goobcat

Feb 23, 2014
obviously dont want boyle long term, but he had 36 points this past year more then any of our dmen (besides mcd) im unsure of his defense capabilities anymore but he would add some much needed offense from our defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad