Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida
Every one of our RFAs will get an offer by June 30th. A Qualifying Offer is required to retain their rights beyond June 30th. If we don't give them a QO by then, they become Unrestricted Free Agents.

Qualifying Offers are based on actual salary in the most recent year of their contract. Anything under 600k (I think) gets a QO of 110%. From 600k to 1 mil gets a QO of 105%. Anything over 1 mil gets a QO of 100%.

So a player who's salary was 700k last year would get a QO of 735k (105% of 700).

Yes, Sather could offer them something other than the QO before July 1st and for all we know, he already has. Just because it hasn't been reported doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

So best case scenario is Slats has already made them offers and they've accepted them? Wouldn't there be report a singing or extension?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Then you deal with the fact that you're losing Hagelin+Miller after the fact. Hagelin would be a huge loss. Miller, meh. Spezza would be a big gain.

Miller wouldn't be a "meh" loss. He's a player we NEED to become a solid contributor at some point in the near future. We need good players on cheap contract and our prospect pool is thin enough already.

Also, swapping Hagelin for Spezza increases our cap commitment by 4.5 mil, but doesn't add any players. That means one of Stralman, Zucc, Staal or Brassard are also gone, unless you plan on trading Nash.

Trading for Spezza just isn't a good idea.

BarbaraAlphanse

Insofar as, they cost assets. However the deal they would give him would end up being just as bad or worse.

Not cool.

I mean, we don't know yet.

For example, if he took like 7 for 6.85. It wouldn't be the worst deal I've seen.

Wouldn't be great, but wouldn't be the worst.

He definitely still has a good 4 years of solid productivity left.

That would mean that there are other moves to come, though.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Relax folks, I'd be shocked if the Rangers didn't at least inquire about Stastny's price. Doesn't mean he's interested in coming here.

BarbaraAlphanse

If the move was to sign Stastny, and trade Brassard...

Well that wouldn't be the end of the world by any means. We'd be improving our 2c by a significant margin. Miller slots in to the 3c immediately.

Difference in salaries about 2-2.5 mill apart.

BarbaraAlphanse

Relax folks, I'd be shocked if the Rangers didn't at least inquire about Stastny's price. Doesn't mean he's interested in coming here.

Hard to imagine anyone who wouldn't be interested in coming to one of the most attractive cities in the world that just came off a cup run.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So best case scenario is Slats has already made them offers and they've accepted them? Wouldn't there be report a singing or extension?

No. It is extremely rare that any player accepts his QO. It's just a requirement in the CBA to retain the player's rights and it gives the team time to negotiate.

Slats still has 5 days to submit the QOs. When he does, it will be reported. I'm sure right now they are still trying to figure out which players they want back, which players they are going to target in trade and free agency, and how much they are going to offer each player. There's only so much cap space to go around and every penny more they give one player is a penny less they can give another player.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I mean, we don't know yet.

For example, if he took like 7 for 6.85. It wouldn't be the worst deal I've seen.

Wouldn't be great, but wouldn't be the worst.

He definitely still has a good 4 years of solid productivity left.

That would mean that there are other moves to come, though.

It would be the worst deal because it would mean they lose the ability to re-sign players now and in the future.

NONONONONONONONO. K.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Miller wouldn't be a "meh" loss. He's a player we NEED to become a solid contributor at some point in the near future. We need good players on cheap contract and our prospect pool is thin enough already.

Also, swapping Hagelin for Spezza increases our cap commitment by 4.5 mil, but doesn't add any players. That means one of Stralman, Zucc, Staal or Brassard are also gone, unless you plan on trading Nash.

Trading for Spezza just isn't a good idea.

Yes and no on Miller. It would be cake if he turns into Dubinsky, which is what I think his ceiling is, but we have a lot of center prospects in the wings that can hit that 2C form. Mostly Lindberg and Boo. Fogarty can end up being a good bottom-6 center. Not to mention you can basically find a 3C ever year on the FA market. Our prospect pipeline is sure as **** thin, but that's what happens when you're in win-now mode. Like it or not, that's where the Rangers are.

Miller doesn't make or break this team by any means. I definitely agree that we need good players on cheap contracts, especially ELCs. We have to start getting some bang for our buck no doubt about it.

I have already come to terms with the fact that unless he takes a hometeam discount, Stralman is gone. But it's not like the cap works in a vacuum as you've displayed in your post. There are other ways to finagle cap room. It's not like, oh we're gaining 4.5 with Spezza on the books after trading Hagelin, and that's all the room we'll have to work with. Then Spezza leaves the books in a year, and there's your room to re-sign Staal. Cool, right?

Trading for Spezza is a good idea, pending the price and assets to which it takes to get him.

Trading for Thornton just isn't a good idea.
Signing Stastny to a huge contract just isn't a good idea.
Trading for ROR is probably a good idea, but holy hell, if you think Spezza will cost too much, let me tell you something about trading a proven 23 year old 2C.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If the move was to sign Stastny, and trade Brassard...

Well that wouldn't be the end of the world by any means. We'd be improving our 2c by a significant margin. Miller slots in to the 3c immediately.

Difference in salaries about 2-2.5 mill apart.

Thing is I'm not sure that the ten more points and improved face off and defensive zone prowess that Stastny brings over Brassard would be worth the extra 2.5 million plus...

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida
No. It is extremely rare that any player accepts his QO. It's just a requirement in the CBA to retain the player's rights and it gives the team time to negotiate.

Slats still has 5 days to submit the QOs. When he does, it will be reported. I'm sure right now they are still trying to figure out which players they want back, which players they are going to target in trade and free agency, and how much they are going to offer each player. There's only so much cap space to go around and every penny more they give one player is a penny less they can give another player.

So if its rare that a player accepts the QO why even bother making it an enticing offer in the first place? Like if its just a formality then why not nickle and dime the QO. And wait for the market price?

BarbaraAlphanse

Thing is I'm not sure that the ten more points and improved face off and defensive zone prowess that Stastny brings over Brassard would be worth the extra 2.5 million plus...

Make no difference about it, Stastny's ceiling is about 25 points higher than Brassard's.

When he had a well rounded roster around him he posted nearly 80 points. Then Colorado rebuilt.

Took him a little while to get started this year but he had a great end to the season and a great playoffs.

With MSL or Nash it's hard to imagine that he doesn't have 65 points + next year.

I don't know who would slot into the 2nd line LW with Nash, as I think Miller will be slotted around MSL and Hagelin... but Stastny and Nash could actually be an epic duo.

I'd expect somewhere around 40 goals for Nash and about 55 assists for Stastny.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Make no difference about it, Stastny's ceiling is about 25 points higher than Brassard's.

When he had a well rounded roster around him he posted nearly 80 points. Then Colorado rebuilt.

Took him a little while to get started this year but he had a great end to the season and a great playoffs.

With MSL or Nash it's hard to imagine that he doesn't have 65 points + next year.

I don't know who would slot into the 2nd line LW with Nash, as I think Miller will be slotted around MSL and Hagelin... but Stastny and Nash could actually be an epic duo.

This post is bringing me back to '07. Shades of Gomez + Jagr talk.

Love the optimism though :)

Too bad when he's with Miller, MSL is probably only good for 40 points :p:

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida

Are you suggesting Stastny would be on our second line and not first?

UDnyr92

Jan 6, 2011
Some news from @KatieStrangESPN...

One intriguing UFA to keep an eye on: Benoit Pouliot. Had a strong season in NY. Mutual interest in him re-signing with Rangers
There have been discussions between two sides since playoffs ended. Pouliot looking for longer commitment than 1- year deal signed last July

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Yep. Same thing happened with Richards, although he was a bit older, he was coming off a couple of better seasons.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Good thing we get to pay $3M+ more in salary compared to Brassard for 25 extra points (which I think is inflated on your part).

BarbaraAlphanse

MSL with Richards on his line scored 8 goals during the playoffs. Miller is faster, goes to the net more often, even probably controls the puck better than Richards at this stage in their careers.

Stastny isn't similar to the type of player Gomez is, at all. But I get the comparison. Guy looking for pay day, gets it from Rangers, disappears.

Happens all too often.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I have already come to terms with the fact that unless he takes a hometeam discount, Stralman is gone. But it's not like the cap works in a vacuum as you've displayed in your post. There are other ways to finagle cap room. It's not like, oh we're gaining 4.5 with Spezza on the books after trading Hagelin, and that's all the room we'll have to work with. Then Spezza leaves the books in a year, and there's your room to re-sign Staal. Cool, right?

So who takes Stralman's place? Is this team really better if we add Spezza and lose both Hagelin and Stralman? Hagelin is 25. Stralman is 27. Both of them have at least another 4 years in the tank. Are you really saying we should lose them both for 1 year of Spezza? What if Staal leaves then as a UFA? Then what? No Spezza, Staal, Stralman or Hagelin a year from now?

Trading for Spezza is a good idea, pending the price and assets to which it takes to get him.

No, it really, really isn't. The fact that no one else agrees with you should at least make you rethink your position.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Some news from @KatieStrangESPN...

If he's looking for more than 2 years, I'd pass. Some of those penalties in the playoffs :facepalm:

He does help make the Brass line go, though.

2 years, $5 million total. Maybe go three years if he takes a bit of a cut. 3 years at $6 million total. That's an easily tradeable contract if it comes to it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Lolololol. How high are you? Those numbers would be exceptional, not expected. Setting the bar nice and low here. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad