Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So who takes Stralman's place? Is this team really better if we add Spezza and lose both Hagelin and Stralman? Hagelin is 25. Stralman is 27. Both of them have at least another 4 years in the tank. Are you really saying we should lose them both for 1 year of Spezza? What if Staal leaves then as a UFA? Then what? No Spezza, Staal, Stralman or Hagelin a year from now?

Klein takes Stralman's place. You get creative for the 3RD spot or you let the kids battle it out in camp. Seriously, I'd be shocked, Spezza or no Spezza if Stralman returns. That dude is gonna get a pay day on the open market. 5x$5 mil. Look at what Nikita Nikitin just got.

What if Staal leaves as a UFA anyway? Spezza and Staal have nothing to do with each other.

No, it really, really isn't. The fact that no one else agrees with you should at least make you rethink your position.

Yes, because what the majority of HF posters believe is usually a good barometer for what is and is not a good idea. :shakehead

BarbaraAlphanse

Good thing we get to pay $3M+ more in salary compared to Brassard for 25 extra points (which I think is inflated on your part).

Inflated? How so?

Going strictly off point totals that they've produced in the past, Brassard's max was 47 points. Stastny's was 79. That's a difference of 32 points.

If anything, I short changed Stastny's ceiling and overstated Brassard's by lowering the ceiling differential to 25 points.

I can see Stastny putting up 75 points a year. 50-55 assists, 20-25 goals a year. Especially with someone like Nash on his wing.

Now imagine that whoever is on the LW is capable of 40-50 points, as well? Kreider sticks with Step, IMO. MSL w/ Nash was a failed experiment. Zucc gets his own line.

To be honest, our best lines IMO would then be:

Kreider-Step-Zucc
XX-Stastny-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-MSL

We give one of our young guys the opportunity to play top 6 minutes, like Fast, Haggerty, Kristo, or Hrvik. Maybe you resign Poo to play that role? And you don't lose defense.

You probably lose Boyle, however.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Inflated? How so?

Going strictly off point totals that they've produced in the past, Brassard's max was 47 points. Stastny's was 79. That's a difference of 32 points.

If anything, I short changed Stastny's ceiling and overstated Brassard's by lowering the ceiling differential to 25 points.

I can see Stastny putting up 75 points a year. 50-55 assists, 20-25 goals a year. Especially with someone like Nash on his wing.

Now imagine that whoever is on the LW is capable of 40-50 points, as well? Kreider sticks with Step, IMO. MSL w/ Nash was a failed experiment. Zucc gets his own line.

To be honest, our best lines IMO would then be:

Kreider-Step-Zucc
XX-Stastny-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-MSL

We give one of our young guys the opportunity to play top 6 minutes, like Fast, Haggerty, Kristo, or Hrvik. Maybe you resign Poo to play that role? And you don't lose defense.

You probably lose Boyle, however.

When you use Stastny's best season, from years ago, and use that as a baseline, you're in trouble.

Should I go around calling Brian Boyle a 20 goal scorer?

BarbaraAlphanse

Lolololol. How high are you? Those numbers would be exceptional, not expected. Setting the bar nice and low here. :sarcasm:

Well its tough to argue about Stastny's low point totals when the Avalanche had absolutely no one to pair him with for like the last 4 years.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So if its rare that a player accepts the QO why even bother making it an enticing offer in the first place? Like if its just a formality then why not nickle and dime the QO. And wait for the market price?

The amount of the QO is set in the CBA, as I outlined earlier. It is a percentage of the the player's previous year salary. It's just a formality to retain the player's rights.

Brassard's salary last year was 3.7 mil. His QO will be 3.7 mil and not a penny more. There's nothing to think about in regards to the QO except whether or not it will be offered. But teams know that players won't accept the QO. The QO is just a 1 year deal. Teams have to prepare offers that they believe the player will actually accept. The Rangers have to determine how much they are willing to spend and how many years they are willing to give each of their RFAs.

There are a lot of moving parts and they can't deal with just one player at a time because every contract affects the whole.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
His agent is!

tumblr_lfqkq2dBxs1qdye1ho1_500.gif

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Pouliot wants too much or signs elsewhere, I wouldn't mind picking up Winnik to be the compliment on that Brassard line. Big bdy, good skater, good along the boards, goes hard to the net. Not as good of a shooter as Pouliot but stronger on his skates

goobcat

Feb 23, 2014
WEll since brass is rfa hell probably be looking to make around 4-5 mill, and with compensatory pics from others teams signing would you want to get the pick which is at least a first round? i think im right

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Pouliot wants too much or signs elsewhere, I wouldn't mind picking up Winnik to be the compliment on that Brassard line. Big bdy, good skater, good along the boards, goes hard to the net. Not as good of a shooter as Pouliot but stronger on his skates

I'd like the team to be able to develop 3rd and 4th liners from within. I cant believe thats a pipedream but it is.

BarbaraAlphanse

When you use Stastny's best season, from years ago, and use that as a baseline, you're in trouble.

Should I go around calling Brian Boyle a 20 goal scorer?

I used both Stastny's and Brassard's best seasons.

2nd best?

78 for Stastny vs. 45 for Brassard.

3rd best?

71 for Stastny vs. 41 for Brassard.

The ceiling, actually, is 30 or over, going by their best seasons. Ceiling is as high as the offensive potential can go.

How about averaging and prorating to 82 games?

Stastny has 458 pts for 538 games played. .851ppg rate. Average points per 82 game season is 70.
Brassard has 225 pts for403 games played. .558ppg rate. Average points per 82 game season is 46.

Difference of 24 points, my ceiling was 25.

That's a big difference, and worth 2.5 mill extra per year, IMO.

BarbaraAlphanse

Honestly, If Brassard's contract is 4.5 for 5 years, as is being speculated on this board.

I'd (without hesitation) ship him to a team for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and trade a 5th to Colorado for Stastny's rights. I'd get rid of open market competition that will raise his price even higher than it is already bound to be and i'd offer him 7 mill per for 5-7 years. Preferably shorter, but that's somewhat unrealistic.

The 2.5 mill difference is worth the 25-30 points more that Stastny will perform with.

You also get to keep Staal, rather than shipping him off for a center at some point in the next 8 months.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I used both Stastny's and Brassard's best seasons.

2nd best?

78 for Stastny vs. 45 for Brassard.

3rd best?

71 for Stastny vs. 41 for Brassard.

The ceiling, actually, is 30 or over, going by their best seasons. Ceiling is as high as the offensive potential can go.

How about averaging and prorating to 82 games?

Stastny has 458 pts for 538 games played. .851ppg rate. Average points per 82 game season is 70.
Brassard has 225 pts for403 games played. .558ppg rate. Average points per 82 game season is 46.

Difference of 24 points, my ceiling was 25.

That's a big difference, and worth 2.5 mill extra per year, IMO.

The fact that Stastny hasnt been a 70 point player since 2008 doesn't concern you?

BarbaraAlphanse

First Stastny, now this? And I have to give a presentation in 20 minutes? This day can suck it...

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/status/481838172343517184

"Veteran Dman Dan Boyle has generated significant interest already. Number of teams have called. Rangers among those interested"

Wouldn't mind him either, strictly on the 3rd pairing.

Similar to the Brassard for Stastny swap, I think a Klein for D. Boyle swap would improve this team too.

Defense probably improves, offense absolutely improves, between the two.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Honestly, If Brassard's contract is 4.5 for 5 years, as is being speculated on this board.

I'd (without hesitation) ship him to a team for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and trade a 5th to Colorado for Stastny's rights. I'd get rid of open market competition that will raise his price even higher than it is already bound to be and i'd offer him 7 mill per for 5-7 years. Preferably shorter, but that's somewhat unrealistic.

The 2.5 mill difference is worth the 25-30 points more that Stastny will perform with.

You also get to keep Staal, rather than shipping him off for a center at some point in the next 8 months.

Care to make a wager that Brassard winds up within 25-30 points of Stastny's '14-15 point total?

Ill take that bet without knowing where Stastny winds up. Youre smoking something good.

BarbaraAlphanse

The fact that Stastny hasnt been a 70 point player since 2008 doesn't concern you?

Who has been on his lines? Duchene has played center. Landeskog w/ Duchene. MacKinnon just came up this year. ROR last year and played center for much of last year.

Stastny has had no one.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Similar to the Brassard for Stastny swap, I think a Klein for D. Boyle swap would improve this team too.

Have you seen Dan Boyle try to play defense lately? Hes also an UFA so I dont know why we'd have to trade for him anyway.

Your suggestions are getting more and more out there.

BarbaraAlphanse

Care to make a wager that Brassard winds up within 25-30 points of Stastny's '14-15 point total?

Ill take that bet without knowing where Stastny winds up. Youre smoking something good.

I'll make a wager that the difference is 25 points or larger.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Who has been on his lines? Duchene has played center. Landeskog w/ Duchene. MacKinnon just came up this year. ROR last year and played center for much of last year.

Stastny has had no one.

Its funny how these excuses get made for any free agent the Rangers might be interested in.

Yet, when they come here, the warts are still there. Imagine that.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013

Ick, especially since I doubt he's asking for 3rd pairing money.

BarbaraAlphanse

Have you seen Dan Boyle try to play defense lately? Hes also an UFA so I dont know why we'd have to trade for him anyway.

Your suggestions are getting more and more out there.

I have. Post concussion Boyle has been rather disappointing. Playing 12-14 minutes a game, with a lot of that time being on the PP seems like a perfect fit to me.

If he produces at the rate he was producing hte last two years - 35 pt pace for 82 games, that's still 25 more points than Klein would give us... and the drop off in defense might even be non-existant.

If he somehow improves those totals, the offensive impact would be even higher.

Think about those two moves in a vacuum. There is 50+ points in more offensive potential just be swapping Brassard with Stastny and Boyle w/ Klein.

BarbaraAlphanse

Its funny how these excuses get made for any free agent the Rangers might be interested in.

Yet, when they come here, the warts are still there. Imagine that.

Stastny led the playoffs in the only round the Avs played in, in terms of points? Upward trend to end the season, even before the PO's started.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Interesting thought:

If we do trade for ROR, and lock him up at 6yrs/$6.5m per, I'd assume Stepan's negotiations when he hits the end of this current RFA deal start there? That's an issue.

I'm telling you guys, Spezza or no one.

Not sure it should start there (6x6.5) It should END there as I think that RO'R is the better player TBH (marginally, but better)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad