2014 NHL Re-Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I love how Draisaitl drops on just about every list and absurdly far on some lists yet Reinhart stays in the top 3 despite having a worse year in junior. Never change HF :laugh:

Nylander has a nice half season in the AHL and he jumps over just about everybody ahead of him. Ehlers too based on ?????

The only ones that make sense are Ekblad at 1 and Bennett jumping up.
Pastrnak shouldn't all of a sudden jump in the top 5 based on one nice rookie season. More like top 10.

A great half season in the AHL, and a amazing half season in the AHL.. but lets just ignore it to support your argument.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A great half season in the AHL, and a amazing half season in the AHL.. but lets just ignore it to support your argument.

So???

Lets see how he does in the NHL before anointing him.

He's a great prospect and has tons of offensive upside but the brakes on the hype train should be pumped a bit.
I doubt that any of the teams in the top 5 trade who they took for Nylander based on a great half season in the AHL.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
So???

Lets see how he does in the NHL before anointing him.

He's a great prospect and has tons of offensive upside but the brakes on the hype train should be pumped a bit.
I doubt that any of the teams in the top 5 trade who they took for Nylander based on a great half season in the AHL.

Yea and that works for every prospect that hasn't played in the NHL yet. The fact that Nylander had such a good year in his +1 draft, many people believe if a re-draft was done that Nylander would move up because of his great year, which beat most prospects year.

And again stop ignoring his half season in the SHL, where his numbers were ridiculous.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yea and that works for every prospect that hasn't played in the NHL yet. The fact that Nylander had such a good year in his +1 draft, many people believe if a re-draft was done that Nylander would move up because of his great year, which beat most prospects year.

And again stop ignoring his half season in the SHL, where his numbers were ridiculous.

I'm pretty confident that Florida doesn't trade Ekblad for him, Buffalo doesn't trade Reinhart for him, Edmonton doesn't trade Draisaitl for him, Calgary doesn't trade Bennett for him and the Islanders don't trade MDC for him based on stats in a European pro league and a North American minor league team. GMs aren't as fickle as HF armchair scouts are.

Again, great prospect, not knocking Nylander. I'm just saying that these stupid re-drafts so soon after the draft are way too early to assess. It's not even a year yet.

Oct 18, 2011
perplexing how ritchie is getting rated below some of these guys, when for a player of his skill set, will be heading into an optimal situation in the near future(flanking getzlaf and perry)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Oh my lord another thread turned into a Nylander party - Honestly am so sick of this!
Seriously, some of you Leafers need to understand that just because someone thinks it's ridiculous to have Nylander as a sure fire top 3, it does not mean he is knocking Nylander.

Nylander is a great prospect, no doubt! But you guys need to stop saying people are after you and Nylander just because some people do not see him as the next coming of Jesus.

And before the Leaf army come marching, I absolutely think Nylander has had a great season, he is awesome! But to say he dominated the SHL and had a ppg season in the AHL is going over the top to prove a point.

Oh, and before you attack me and say im just sour that my team got Virtanen - Yes, I would have liked Nylander over Jake, now and pre draft!

Last thing, I notice a few Leafs knocking Ehlers every time they defend Nylander? Why is that? Ehlers is a great prospect in his own right and IMO has had an equally impressive +1 season. And people seem to mention that Nylander pulled a bad Swedish team out of the slumps - What about Ehlers, while he may not have the same amount of points, he did play fewer games and helped Denmark advance to their first QF and first Win and him and Bjork together with the goalie singlehandedly put Denmark in the QF and he had MUCH MUCH MUCH worse players to rely on.

Here is my ranking:

#1 Ekblad - Great prospect, very mature, great first NHL season. Anyone who has anyone else but Ekblad at 1 need to take off their tinted glasses

#2 Reinhart - He is still the clear cut #2 imo, and he was also the best player at the WJC imo.

#3 Bennet - No prospect has done anything to put Bennet behind them, plus he is having a great playoff showing albeit a very small sample.

#4/5 Ehlers/Nylander - Two prospects I love, both have had awesome +1 seasons and both have surpassed a few players ahead of them. I cant seperate them. Nylander had a good WJC, and great SHL season and a good AHL season and has shown he can handle the small ice. Ehlers has torn the Q a new one and pulled a bottomfeeder into the Playoffs and has factored on a ridiculous amount of his teams goals.

#6 Draisaitl - Granted, I was never high on the kid, not pre draft not now. Never thought he was worth a #3 pick. He is still a top 10 talent no doubt, but some players have just had better years. Sorry Oilers, at least you get McJesus :)

#7 MdC - I was very high on the kid pre draft, he was a top 3 pick in my book, hasnt regressed, just have other players infront of him atm. Is having a great year in the O, and I was dissapointed he never got on the WJC team.

#8 David Pastrnak - I kid you not when I say I had him top 10 pre draft, have always been very high on this kid, who has only made my case stronger this season. Great Rookie start imo.

#9 Nick Ritchie - Nick is having a great playoff run, and is showing that he can be a leader and a great powerforward. A definite top 10 player IMO. Will fit the Anaheim mold to a tee.

10# Fiala/Sanheim - I have both on the verge and cant choose, a case can be made for both of them. Fiala is showing that despite his small stature he can handle the more physical AHL and has also shown he can handle himself in the SEL. Sanheim is just an allround great D prospect. Would LOVE him on the Canucks.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Can anyone tell me how the pre-draft questions regarding each of the top picks have been answered? There are always going to be players that really jump post-draft, like Pastrnak, for obvious reasons. Guys like Larkin and Sanheim had unexpected production leaps, so - again, one understand the jumps. This normally happens as one looks down the first round and into the second. Some guys just develop differently. But what else has changed?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Oh my lord another thread turned into a Nylander party - Honestly am so sick of this!
Seriously, some of you Leafers need to understand that just because someone thinks it's ridiculous to have Nylander as a sure fire top 3, it does not mean he is knocking Nylander.

Nylander is a great prospect, no doubt! But you guys need to stop saying people are after you and Nylander just because some people do not see him as the next coming of Jesus.

And before the Leaf army come marching, I absolutely think Nylander has had a great season, he is awesome! But to say he dominated the SHL and had a ppg season in the AHL is going over the top to prove a point.

Oh, and before you attack me and say im just sour that my team got Virtanen - Yes, I would have liked Nylander over Jake, now and pre draft!

Last thing, I notice a few Leafs knocking Ehlers every time they defend Nylander? Why is that? Ehlers is a great prospect in his own right and IMO has had an equally impressive +1 season. And people seem to mention that Nylander pulled a bad Swedish team out of the slumps - What about Ehlers, while he may not have the same amount of points, he did play fewer games and helped Denmark advance to their first QF and first Win and him and Bjork together with the goalie singlehandedly put Denmark in the QF and he had MUCH MUCH MUCH worse players to rely on.

Here is my ranking:

#1 Ekblad - Great prospect, very mature, great first NHL season. Anyone who has anyone else but Ekblad at 1 need to take off their tinted glasses

#2 Reinhart - He is still the clear cut #2 imo, and he was also the best player at the WJC imo.

#3 Bennet - No prospect has done anything to put Bennet behind them, plus he is having a great playoff showing albeit a very small sample.

#4/5 Ehlers/Nylander - Two prospects I love, both have had awesome +1 seasons and both have surpassed a few players ahead of them. I cant seperate them. Nylander had a good WJC, and great SHL season and a good AHL season and has shown he can handle the small ice. Ehlers has torn the Q a new one and pulled a bottomfeeder into the Playoffs and has factored on a ridiculous amount of his teams goals.

#6 Draisaitl - Granted, I was never high on the kid, not pre draft not now. Never thought he was worth a #3 pick. He is still a top 10 talent no doubt, but some players have just had better years. Sorry Oilers, at least you get McJesus :)

#7 MdC - I was very high on the kid pre draft, he was a top 3 pick in my book, hasnt regressed, just have other players infront of him atm. Is having a great year in the O, and I was dissapointed he never got on the WJC team.

#8 David Pastrnak - I kid you not when I say I had him top 10 pre draft, have always been very high on this kid, who has only made my case stronger this season. Great Rookie start imo.

#9 Nick Ritchie - Nick is having a great playoff run, and is showing that he can be a leader and a great powerforward. A definite top 10 player IMO. Will fit the Anaheim mold to a tee.

10# Fiala/Sanheim - I have both on the verge and cant choose, a case can be made for both of them. Fiala is showing that despite his small stature he can handle the more physical AHL and has also shown he can handle himself in the SEL. Sanheim is just an allround great D prospect. Would LOVE him on the Canucks.

So you bash Leaf fans and then give the same ranking that most leaf fans have been giving in this thread.... Regardless I'm satisfied. As I've said all along Nylander should've went 4/5 with Ehlers.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Can anyone tell me how the pre-draft questions regarding each of the top picks have been answered? There are always going to be players that really jump post-draft, like Pastrnak, for obvious reasons. Guys like Larkin and Sanheim had unexpected production leaps, so - again, one understand the jumps. This normally happens as one looks down the first round and into the second. Some guys just develop differently. But what else has changed?

I know for Nylander his main knocks were his work ethic, attitude, and size. He is now at 5'11" 190 lbs. and he has been praised by his coach for being the first and last one at practice and in the gym non-stop. Really trying his hardest to be a star player.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I know for Nylander his main knocks were his work ethic, attitude, and size. He is now at 5'11" 190 lbs. and he has been praised by his coach for being the first and last one at practice and in the gym non-stop. Really trying his hardest to be a star player.

Not saying that it isn't a credit to him, but I also don't think it is very significant.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not saying that it isn't a credit to him, but I also don't think it is very significant.

Those character concerns plus inconsistency/ hopping from team to team and rumours of being a prima donna were enough to drop him from top-3 to top-10 over the course of the season, despite being acknowledged as one of if not the most offensively talented players in the draft. :laugh: one of his knocks was being a puck hog, when this year has clearly shown that vision and playmaking is a great strength. Shooting down almost every reason why you fell is definitely significant. Still hard to justify taking him above four, but makes it almost impossible to disregard him from the conversation from 4-7

Another case like this is Deangelo, seems to be putting his character issues to bed and making great strides in his defensive game.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Those were his only knocks pre-draft. He fell because he was a "diva who didn't want to put the work in". The fact that he nullified those concerns is pretty significant. His defensive game is also much better than advertised but I think thats a Swedish thing. They really drill it in their players from a young age, and its also more difficult to defend on the larger ice. What was advertised as poor defensively turned out to be average.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Those were his only knocks pre-draft. He fell because he was a "diva who didn't want to put the work in". The fact that he nullified those concerns is pretty significant. His defensive game is also much better than advertised but I think thats a Swedish thing. They really drill it in their players from a young age, and its also more difficult to defend on the larger ice. What was advertised as poor defensively turned out to be average.

I never saw that he didn't want to put the work in (he was one of the best conditioned player pre-draft), but that his attitude was such that he held himself to be the measure of his own success. It won't be until he faces some adversity that we'll find out whether this criticism was valid.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So you bash Leaf fans and then give the same ranking that most leaf fans have been giving in this thread.... Regardless I'm satisfied. As I've said all along Nylander should've went 4/5 with Ehlers.

No, you see im not really bashing leafs fans though am I? That Was the whole point of the post.

Im saying that becAuse someone has a certain prospect higher than Willie, it does not take anything away from him. But alot of you guys take it very personal and Then go on to knock on players like Ehlers.

And I have seen quite a few rankings where leafs mentioned Nylander in the same category as players like Mcjesus and Eichel. Also plenty of suggestions he should be top 3. So thats who I obviously disagree With!

I Can agree With leaf fans rankings and still Think some of Them should take it easy With the Nylander sensitivity..

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No, you see im not really bashing leafs fans though am I? That Was the whole point of the post.

Im saying that becAuse someone has a certain prospect higher than Willie, it does not take anything away from him. But alot of you guys take it very personal and Then go on to knock on players like Ehlers.

And I have seen quite a few rankings where leafs mentioned Nylander in the same category as players like Mcjesus and Eichel. Also plenty of suggestions he should be top 3. So thats who I obviously disagree With!

I Can agree With leaf fans rankings and still Think some of Them should take it easy With the Nylander sensitivity..

People who think he is as good mcdavid, and eichel are crazy. I love Nylander as a player. I can see him being a consistent top 10 point producer in his prime. But he is not as good as those 2. He does not have the size and speed of eichel. Though he has pretty similar deking skills, and has a worst shot. Mcjesus is probably better than him at every offensive skill, the only thing Nylander might be better than mcdavid next year is back checking, and maybe drawing penalitys like kadri does. Even than at this age, those 2 are a lot ahead of him, despite this Nylander has elite potential and can become a superstar player if he reaches it. Those two have best in the league and 2nd best in the league type of potential. Nylander wont be that good unless he devolopes crazily next year

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He's certainly around 10-12

Oh, certainly? Yeah, ok. I'm glad you're so sure no team in the top 10 may draft a 6'3, late blooming, rapidly developing kid who skates like the wind and lead the WHL in scoring by defensemen in the regular season and the playoffs this year. :sarcasm:

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Oh, certainly? Yeah, ok. I'm glad you're so sure no team in the top 10 may draft a 6'3, late blooming, rapidly developing kid who skates like the wind and lead the WHL in scoring by defensemen in the regular season and the playoffs this year. :sarcasm:
Yikes. No need to get so defensive. There were plenty of great players in the draft...

Anchor Town*

10 isn't in the top 10 anymore?

Anchor Town*

Certainly he can't go any higher than 10, right? Like the guys ahead of him are such better prospects. Every team has to take a forward with the exception of first pick.

There's nothing wrong with your prospect moving up significantly, not sure why you're so upset.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Everyone in this thread really needs to calm the hell down

There are about 12-15 prospects from this draft that all had amazing seasons in their own right and are all looking like very good picks right now

Everyone knows that this thread is way too premature anyway so there's really no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over something that will not be able to be proved with certainty for at least another 3 years probably more

I realize this is the prospects board so this is far from a complaint about the discussion, I'm mainly talking about the people who think its unfathomable or even worse become deeply offended when their guy isn't being ranked here or there by whoever.

Everyone should come to the realization that there are a ton of 1st round picks that had excellent seasons across several leagues this year and right now most are fairly comparable.

Unless you have a crystal ball or the sports almanac from Back to the Future there's really no need to cause such an uproar over the slimmest of margins at this date in time

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
People who think he is as good mcdavid, and eichel are crazy. I love Nylander as a player. I can see him being a consistent top 10 point producer in his prime. But he is not as good as those 2. He does not have the size and speed of eichel. Though he has pretty similar deking skills, and has a worst shot. Mcjesus is probably better than him at every offensive skill, the only thing Nylander might be better than mcdavid next year is back checking, and maybe drawing penalitys like kadri does. Even than at this age, those 2 are a lot ahead of him, despite this Nylander has elite potential and can become a superstar player if he reaches it. Those two have best in the league and 2nd best in the league type of potential. Nylander wont be that good unless he devolopes crazily next year

I agree on most parts :nod:

And I too see superstar potential in Nylander.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Everyone in this thread really needs to calm the hell down

There are about 12-15 prospects from this draft that all had amazing seasons in their own right and are all looking like very good picks right now

Everyone knows that this thread is way too premature anyway so there's really no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over something that will not be able to be proved with certainty for at least another 3 years probably more

I realize this is the prospects board so this is far from a complaint about the discussion, I'm mainly talking about the people who think its unfathomable or even worse become deeply offended when their guy isn't being ranked here or there by whoever.

Everyone should come to the realization that there are a ton of 1st round picks that had excellent seasons across several leagues this year and right now most are fairly comparable.

Unless you have a crystal ball or the sports almanac from Back to the Future there's really no need to cause such an uproar over the slimmest of margins at this date in time

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Nothing is written in stone yet, and people are going to have different opinions on this. There really is no point in getting offended because someone doesn't like a player as much as you do. If he is as good as you think, he'll prove it eventually anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad