2014 NHL Re-Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Everyone in this thread really needs to calm the hell down

There are about 12-15 prospects from this draft that all had amazing seasons in their own right and are all looking like very good picks right now

Everyone knows that this thread is way too premature anyway so there's really no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over something that will not be able to be proved with certainty for at least another 3 years probably more

I realize this is the prospects board so this is far from a complaint about the discussion, I'm mainly talking about the people who think its unfathomable or even worse become deeply offended when their guy isn't being ranked here or there by whoever.

Everyone should come to the realization that there are a ton of 1st round picks that had excellent seasons across several leagues this year and right now most are fairly comparable.

Unless you have a crystal ball or the sports almanac from Back to the Future there's really no need to cause such an uproar over the slimmest of margins at this date in time

The only thing threads like this are useful for are highlighting players who made developmental leaps that were unexpected (e.g. Pasternak, Sanheim) and players who seem to have taken a step back (I don't even know if there is a significant prospect who is an example of this).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Switch MDC with Draisaitl and you have my list. Maybe Deangelo over Sanheim but at this point I'm not sure.
I'll take a big two way centre over a winger any day. A scout from Redline report said he would take Draisaitl over Strome so I see no reason why Draisaitl should be dropping in anyones "re-draft"
Also the very own Hockeys Future has him over Reinhart in a current article

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Not criticizing any of the top prospects but in looking at the way Anaheim is using its size, speed, and talent to steamroll Winnipeg and Calgary, one has to wonder if Ritchie shouldn't be more highly rated. I understand that Nylander and Ehlers are sexier picks but Ritchie is made for the NHL playoffs.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
A little early? Understatement of the year. This thread is similar to picking lottery numbers.

Bluejaysfan*

Not criticizing any of the top prospects but in looking at the way Anaheim is using its size, speed, and talent to steamroll Winnipeg and Calgary, one has to wonder if Ritchie shouldn't be more highly rated. I understand that Nylander and Ehlers are sexier picks but Ritchie is made for the NHL playoffs.

Made for the playoffs just like Tyler Johnson in the east or Kane out west? Big, physical guys amirite?

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Here is a list compiled when asking NHL scouts, directors of player personnel, and GM's.

Note, they removed Ekblad and Pastrnak as graduated.

1-2. Two NHLers
3. Sam Reinhart, C (actually taken second by Buffalo)
4. Sam Bennett, C, (taken 4th by Calgary)
5. Leon Draisaitl, C (taken 3rd by Edmonton)
6. Nick Ehlers, LW (taken 9th by Winnipeg)
7. Dylan Larkin, C (taken 15th by Detroit)
8. William Nylander, C, (taken 8th by Toronto)
9. Michael Dal Colle, LW (taken 5th by N.Y. Islanders)
10. Kevin Fiala, LW (taken 11th by Nashville)
11. Jake Virtanen, RW (taken 6th by Vancouver)
12. Nick Ritchie, LW (taken 10th by Anaheim)
13. Robby Fabbri, C (taken 21st by St. Louis)
14. Alex Tuch, RW (taken 18th by Minnesota)
15. Sonny Milano, LW (taken 16th by Columbus)
16. Julius Honka, D (taken 14th by Dallas)
17. Haydn Fleury, D (taken 7th by Carolina)
18. Nikita Scherbak, RW (taken 26th by Montreal)
19. Ivan Barbashev, C (taken 33rd by St. Louis)
20. Jakub Vrana, LW (taken 13th by Washington)

I think they are right on with moving Dylan Larkin up. Kid is going to be very good.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-would-the-2014-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today/

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
1. Ekblad
2. Bennett
3. Reinhart
4. Ehlers
5. Nylander
6. Pastrnak
7. Dal Colle
8. Draisaitl
9. Holmstrom
10. Larkin

Last edited:

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Here is a list compiled when asking NHL scouts, directors of player personnel, and GM's.

1-2. Two NHLers

I think they are right on with moving Dylan Larkin up. Kid is going to be very good.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-would-the-2014-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today/

That is list is pretty bad.

I have no idea how Sanheim, DeAngelo, McCann, would drop and Kempe and Tuch go up.

Last edited:

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Nah man, you're reconstructing history to fit your opinion. Could he have gone first? obviously, it only takes one team to really like him to make the pick. Was he likely to go first? No.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Average draft ranking ( Number of top 3's out of 12) (Number of 1sts)
Ekblad-1.6 (12) (7)
Reinhart-2.2 (10) (3)
Draisaitl-5.1 (1) (0)
Bennett-2.3 (11) (2)
Dal Colle-5.6 (1) (0)
Nylander-6.6 (1) (0)
Ehlers-7.1 (0) (0)
Ritchie (9) (0)
Virtanen (9.7) (0)

Times Ranked ahead of Draisaitl
Dal Colle (1)
Nylander (4)
Ehlers (3)
Ritchie (1)
Fiala (1)

Draisaitl was clearly in the second group, though consistently at the top of it. To answer your "question" he dropped past 4 five times out of twelve.

So uh, there are the rankings you so politely requested.
Fair enough, but i'd say being top 4 in 8/12 rankings is pretty unanimous and puts him in that top tier or at least in a tier between the top 3 and the rest.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Fair enough, but i'd say being top 4 in 8/12 rankings is pretty unanimous and puts him in that top tier or at least in a tier between the top 3 and the rest.

Well unanimous would be 12/12. Looking at the numbers to me it looks pretty clear that it was a group of 3, then a group of 4 with popular opinion having Drai at the top of it, but enough dissenting opinion that any of that group could have gone 4th and it wouldn't have been a surprise. I'm just trying to say that it's really not unreasonable for anyone to have any of Nylander, Ehlers or Dal Colle at the time of the draft, without even considering the season after. It's not some slight on Edmonton to not consider Drai on par with the top 3. Though I think that really hinges on your opinion of Reinhart.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Is there any precedent for Reinhart 's approach of prioritizing gym time over game time? I know MacKinnon bulked up big time last off season, but that didn't seem to improve his game. There is a clear disparity between gym fitness and hockey fitness. The gym time will drastically alter his body type and then he has to figure out how to make his new body affective in the game.

Why not just force him onto a 10k calorie/day diet. Gaining mass itself is more important then how much he can press and keeping his focus on hockey will allow his game to develop with his growing body, rather than having to catch up with it later.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Well unanimous would be 12/12. Looking at the numbers to me it looks pretty clear that it was a group of 3, then a group of 4 with popular opinion having Drai at the top of it, but enough dissenting opinion that any of that group could have gone 4th and it wouldn't have been a surprise. I'm just trying to say that it's really not unreasonable for anyone to have any of Nylander, Ehlers or Dal Colle at the time of the draft, without even considering the season after. It's not some slight on Edmonton to not consider Drai on par with the top 3. Though I think that really hinges on your opinion of Reinhart.
I don't know why i said unanimous, i meant to say is in the majority. I agree with what you said. Reinhart and Drai are very similar players imo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A little early? Understatement of the year. This thread is similar to picking lottery numbers.

Sure, and all of the "mock drafts" and rankings for the 2015 draft are a few years too early. I don't know why anyone bothers to discuss prospects at all. :sarcasm:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

1-2. Two NHLers

So Sanheim gets drafted #17. Then leads the WHL in D scoring this year. Then leads the WHL in D playoff scoring. And yet drops to #22. I find that hard to believe.

What more could he have done?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Well, you could say that the Jets were missing a high end talent like Ehlers in that series against Anaheim that might've allowed them to get up more than 1 goal against Anaheim every time they took the lead. First and foremost you need gamebreakers like an Ehlers (if he reaches his potential in the NHL)

SchennSational1022*

1-2. Two NHLers

This list is actually pathetic. The hockey news, what a ****ing joke that website is :laugh:.

Sanheim and DeAngelo move down, and are behind guys like Honka, Fleury (!!!!), Tuch, Milano, Virtanen, Ritchie, Vrana. Hilarious, actualy hilarious.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I'll take a big two way centre over a winger any day. A scout from Redline report said he would take Draisaitl over Strome so I see no reason why Draisaitl should be dropping in anyones "re-draft"
Also the very own Hockeys Future has him over Reinhart in a current article

It wasn't just a "scout" from Redline report, it was Kyle Woodlief. I'd say he's better than the average "scout"

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Reinhart
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Dal Colle
Nylander
Sanheim
Larkin

HM: Virtanen, Ritchie

That was harder than I thought. Let's hope I didn't forget anyone.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Reinhart
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Dal Colle
Nylander
Sanheim
Larkin

Pretty good list. Obviously it's super early and some will change but I think as of now, it's pretty accurate. Arguments could be made to move some guys higher/lower but I think this is probably about the same as my list would be.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Reinhart
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Dal Colle
Nylander
Sanheim
Larkin

I could see this as their projected rankings 4-5 years down the road.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Sanheim, Ritchie and Virtanen all have looked impressive for sure and deserve to rise in these rankings but the lack of respect that Kevin Fiala and especially Jakub Vrana are getting in this thread is ridiculous.

Both had amazing seasons in Europe before coming over to play in the NHL and adjusted immediately to the smaller ice surface as 18-19 year olds.

Like I said in a previous post in this thread, this is all a crap shoot and really is insanely premature but I definitely find what Fiala and Vrana have done this season to be a lot more impressive than the players who are playing great hockey in junior in their +1 draft season

Can't really believe that I'm in the minority here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad