Ehlers
Dal Colle
Sanheim
Draisaitl
Ritchie

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Still have nothing to come up with :laugh: man are you a sad one

Why because leafs fans can't handle peoples opinions that aren't biased by any means? Sure thing.

Yeah a video showing only his good plays, and not even one of his bad plays. Bring me a "shift by shift" vid at the WJC with Nylander and then you can come back and talk, Mr Pro Scout. I also love how you're trying to sell the video. "AMAZING PLAYS IN EVERY GAME!!" Did he score between his legs or something? Not saying he didn't make some great plays there, but you don't need to exaggerate.

Me being a Canucks fan have absolutely nothing to do with this. I couldn't care f'ing less if the Leafs or the Blue Jackets drafted him. Again, i have admitted probably 5 times thus far that i wasn't happy about the Virtanen pick, and that several players drafted lower than him have been better this year. Are you dumb? How am i bashing Nylander to feel better about the Virtanen pick, when i'm even admitting that he's the better player? Makes no f'ing sense. ALL IM SAYING IS THAT HE DIDN'T HAVE A GREAT WJC. I'm not making my fanbase look bad, cuz it has nothing to do with "my team". You're showing that you're just another ignorant fan, however.

It's hilarious seeing you get so worked up over another team's prospect :laugh: You are trying to push a very inaccurate portrayal of Nylander at the WJC. Of course he must have had some bad plays here and there, like any other 18 year old, but the way you are describing it is the exact opposite of how it really went down.

You say he had a horrible overall WJC and had good plays here and there. In reality, he had an amazing WJC overall and might have had a bad play here and there. I have never claimed to be a "pro scout" but all you really needed was eyes with at least enough vision to see an outline of Nylander in order to know what sort of WJC he had. I'm not sure what Nylander ever did to you but I hope it was something hilarious seeing as how upset he seems to make you :laugh:

Anyways, you may want to consider broadening your horizons and focus on more than one prospect.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bennett, Draisaitl, Virtanen, Ehlers, etc.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I feel like Draisaitl is quickly becoming one of the most underrated prospects around. So the guy didn't light it up while playing in the Oilers bottom six as an 18 year old under an atrocious coach. He's still got tons of potential, and did show signs of brilliance in the NHL. If he were in the AHL he'd be tearing the league apart IMO. Wait till his skating catches up to his size.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
I feel like Draisaitl is quickly becoming one of the most underrated prospects around. So the guy didn't light it up while playing in the Oilers bottom six as an 18 year old under an atrocious coach. He's still got tons of potential, and did show signs of brilliance in the NHL. If he were in the AHL he'd be tearing the league apart IMO. Wait till his skating catches up to his size.

Im being Nit picky here but he was basically 19 the entire time he played in the regular season.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
I'm not suggesting he should even be in the top 10 right now but the majority of these lists are missing at the very least a mention of Jakub Vrana

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
It's hilarious seeing you get so worked up over another team's prospect :laugh: You are trying to push a very inaccurate portrayal of Nylander at the WJC. Of course he must have had some bad plays here and there, like any other 18 year old, but the way you are describing it is the exact opposite of how it really went down.

You say he had a horrible overall WJC and had good plays here and there. In reality, he had an amazing WJC overall and might have had a bad play here and there. I have never claimed to be a "pro scout" but all you really needed was eyes with at least enough vision to see an outline of Nylander in order to know what sort of WJC he had. I'm not sure what Nylander ever did to you but I hope it was something hilarious seeing as how upset he seems to make you :laugh:

Anyways, you may want to consider broadening your horizons and focus on more than one prospect.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bennett, Draisaitl, Virtanen, Ehlers, etc.

Because i strongly disagreed with a total joke of a post that another guy posted? He said that Nylander was the best player not named McDavid, which is just a total disgrace of a comment. It's not like my opinion didn't come from nowhere. I would love to hear anyones opinion (who's not a leaf-fan) on Nylanders WJC. Again, i'm not the only person who actually think this. I bet that half of Sweden hates him for being such a diva in the WJC. And that's not exactly a common thing. I respect the players in the WJC, after all they're just young players. But Nylander is just something else, and not in a good way. The way he was floating around on the ice in the WJC..

Nylander hasn't done **** to me personally, which might come as a shock to you since neutral-fans doesn't seem exist in your head. Instead, should i be surprised that you, a Leaf-fan, are strongly disagreeing with my opinion? I had absolutely no reason to not like Nylander going into the WJC. You find out that i'm a Canucks fan, and suddenly it's apperantly all about me trying to bash Nylander to feel better about Virtanen, a player i haven't exactly praised in my previous posts (again, what's up with your reading-comprehension?) What would you be pointing out if i wasn't actually a Canucks-fan, like a Flyers-fan or a Blues-fan, 2 teams that didn't even had a chance to pick Nylander? Because that's all that you seems to be thinking about: "He hates Nylander because he's disappointed with his team's pick!!!". Would i've been just jealous because you drafted a future legend, while my team didn't even have a shot at drafting him? I bet you'd have nothing to actually go on, which is why you keep repeating the same thing over and oveeeer again...

As far as your questions about the prospects, here we go.

Bennett: Great young player. Love his energetic game and his commitment. Should have a legit shot at the Calder next year. Flames-fans can be very excited about their future with young, offensive guys like Bennett,Monahan and Gaudreau. Would love to have a talented guy like him, especially going into next season.

Draisaitl: Big talented center. Can definitely see him being a 1st line center, or at least a good 2nd line center that can put up points. Will be tough for him to get a legit shot with the Oilers since they won the lottery, so we will see what happens. Would have been awesome to have a guy with his potential on the Canucks, especially since it's tough to say how things will look when the Sedins are done. I obviously don't think the Canucks will win a cup as long as they have the Sedins sitting at 7M per year (even though they're good players ofc). The team overall just isn't good enough, and there isn't enough young guys on the team right now that have the potential to be great players, which would have been necessary. I honestly think it's ridiculous that you guys are already arguing if Nylander is better than him. I think any team would take Draisaitl over Nylander. One reason why he went 3rd overall (which i do think was a worthy spot, maybe 1 spot later) was because of his size. Who wouldn't want a great offensive center who's big? Especially in the Western Conference.

Virtanen: What exactly do you want me to tell you that i haven't already said? He's got great speed, a great shot, nice size, his physical game is actually really impressive. But he seems to lack hockey IQ. For me personally, i think it's a little bit worrying that he can't dominate with all those attributes alone. Even if he lacks hockey IQ. I have obviously not given up on him. He's still a great prospect, but you're obviously a little bit disappointed with him considering the season he has had, compared to other guys that were realistic picks at 6, players like Ritchie, Ehlers and Nylander. As i've already said, going into the draft, i wanted either Ritchie or Nylander. Ehlers would have been fine too. I kinda expected the Canucks to pick Virtanen though, gut-feeling. I don't really know what you're missing?

Ehlers: Again, going into the draft, Nylander was one of the 2 players i wanted. I wanted him over Ehlers because i thought they were similar players, but i thought Nylanders offensive game was a little bit more impressive. I don't think the difference was huge, or is huge today, but at that point i prefered Nylander. Still a great player that the Jets can be happy about. Seems like they're always making great picks in the 1st round.

Last edited:

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
LMAO!!!!! People are actually saying Nylander has a bad world juniors? This is all the ammunition that's left? Wasn't he one of the tournament leaders in points as a 18 year old?

The only player from his draft class that had a similar impact was Larkin. These arguments are getting weaker and weaker.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
LMAO!!!!! People are actually saying Nylander has a bad world juniors? This is all the ammunition that's left? Wasn't he one of the tournament leaders in points as a 18 year old?

The only player from his draft class that had a similar impact was Larkin. These arguments are getting weaker and weaker.

Sam Reinhart dominated Nylanders performance. Out scored him and was the best defensive forward in the tornament. Did Nylander even get awarded as sweden's top forward at the end of the tournament?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Sam Reinhart dominated Nylanders performance. Out scored him and was the best defensive forward in the tornament. Did Nylander even get awarded as sweden's top forward at the end of the tournament?

Reinhart also played with WAY better line mates. Not even close really, so when you put any weight into him being out scored my 1 point in that tournament, you should take that into consideration.. Using the word dominated a little bit loosely imo

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Because i strongly disagreed with a total joke of a post that another guy posted? He said that Nylander was the best player not named McDavid, which is just a total disgrace of a comment. It's not like my opinion didn't come from nowhere. I would love to hear anyones opinion (who's not a leaf-fan) on Nylanders WJC. Again, i'm not the only person who actually think this. I bet that half of Sweden hates him for being such a diva in the WJC. And that's not exactly a common thing. I respect the players in the WJC, after all they're just young players. But Nylander is just something else, and not in a good way. The way he was floating around on the ice in the WJC..

Nylander hasn't done **** to me personally, which might come as a shock to you since neutral-fans doesn't seem exist in your head. Instead, should i be surprised that you, a Leaf-fan, are strongly disagreeing with my opinion? I had absolutely no reason to not like Nylander going into the WJC. You find out that i'm a Canucks fan, and suddenly it's apperantly all about me trying to bash Nylander to feel better about Virtanen, a player i haven't exactly praised in my previous posts (again, what's up with your reading-comprehension?) What would you be pointing out if i wasn't actually a Canucks-fan, like a Flyers-fan or a Blues-fan, 2 teams that didn't even had a chance to pick Nylander? Because that's all that you seems to be thinking about: "He hates Nylander because he's disappointed with his team's pick!!!". Would i've been just jealous because you drafted a future legend, while my team didn't even have a shot at drafting him? I bet you'd have nothing to actually go on, which is why you keep repeating the same thing over and oveeeer again...

As far as your questions about the prospects, here we go.

Bennett: Great young player. Love his energetic game and his commitment. Should have a legit shot at the Calder next year. Flames-fans can be very excited about their future with young, offensive guys like Bennett,Monahan and Gaudreau. Would love to have a talented guy like him, especially going into next season.

Draisaitl: Big talented center. Can definitely see him being a 1st line center, or at least a good 2nd line center that can put up points. Will be tough for him to get a legit shot with the Oilers since they won the lottery, so we will see what happens. Would have been awesome to have a guy with his potential on the Canucks, especially since it's tough to say how things will look when the Sedins are done. I obviously don't think the Canucks will win a cup as long as they have the Sedins sitting at 7M per year (even though they're good players ofc). The team overall just isn't good enough, and there isn't enough young guys on the team right now that have the potential to be great players, which would have been necessary. I honestly think it's ridiculous that you guys are already arguing if Nylander is better than him. I think any team would take Draisaitl over Nylander. One reason why he went 3rd overall (which i do think was a worthy spot, maybe 1 spot later) was because of his size. Who wouldn't want a great offensive center who's big? Especially in the Western Conference.

Virtanen: What exactly do you want me to tell you that i haven't already said? He's got great speed, a great shot, nice size, his physical game is actually really impressive. But he seems to lack hockey IQ. For me personally, i think it's a little bit worrying that he can't dominate with all those attributes alone. Even if he lacks hockey IQ. I have obviously not given up on him. He's still a great prospect, but you're obviously a little bit disappointed with him considering the season he has had, compared to other guys that were realistic picks at 6, players like Ritchie, Ehlers and Nylander. As i've already said, going into the draft, i wanted either Ritchie or Nylander. Ehlers would have been fine too. I kinda expected the Canucks to pick Virtanen though, gut-feeling. I don't really know what you're missing?

Ehlers: Again, going into the draft, Nylander was one of the 2 players i wanted. I wanted him over Ehlers because i thought they were similar players, but i thought Nylanders offensive game was a little bit more impressive. I don't think the difference was huge, or is huge today, but at that point i prefered Nylander. Still a great player that the Jets can be happy about. Seems like they're always making great picks in the 1st round.

Truth is Nylander was Sweden's most offensively gifted player. He has speed and skill. His hockey sense in the offensive zone is very good. Its also true that Nylander did not seem to step up his game as the games got more difficult (defensively tighter) during the tournament. A lot of his points were of the secondary nature during the tournament (Leaf fans will be upset by this but once again its the truth imo). As the compete level increased his presence seemed to drop off. He has a ton of potential because of his pure offensive skill, the question will be does he have the will to compete against NHL level dmen and players. The physicality and intensity at the NHL level is 10x greater then what he will see in the AHL and or Swedish Elite league (leagues he has proven he can more then handle because of his pure skill at such a young age). Will find the answer out in the next year or two, until then Leaf fans should be happy as he's had a great post draft year (no one can claim he's a bust) that being said you could say the same about a number of prospects from the 2014 draft. So the question in this thread should be are you happy with the post draft play of your first round pick from the 2014 draft? You may get more honest assessments instead of posters trying to claim my pick is better then yours (which is whats going on here for the most part).

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Way too early but whatever:
Ekblad
Bennett
Reinhart
Draisatl
Ehlers
MDC
Pasternak
Nylander
Ritchie
Virtanen

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Reinhart also played with WAY better line mates. Not even close really, so when you put any weight into him being out scored my 1 point in that tournament, you should take that into consideration.. Using the word dominated a little bit loosely imo

Most scouts and pundits said reinhart was. the best forward of the tourney. So I would say that could be domination of a tournament. And he was consistently on the ice for the most important plays of the tourney as well.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Truth is Nylander was Sweden's most offensively gifted player. He has speed and skill. His hockey sense in the offensive zone is very good. Its also true that Nylander did not seem to step up his game as the games got more difficult (defensively tighter) during the tournament. A lot of his points were of the secondary nature during the tournament (Leaf fans will be upset by this but once again its the truth imo). As the compete level increased his presence seemed to drop off. He has a ton of potential because of his pure offensive skill, the question will be does he have the will to compete against NHL level dmen and players. The physicality and intensity at the NHL level is 10x greater then what he will see in the AHL and or Swedish Elite league (leagues he has proven he can more then handle because of his pure skill at such a young age). Will find the answer out in the next year or two, until then Leaf fans should be happy as he's had a great post draft year (no one can claim he's a bust) that being said you could say the same about a number of prospects from the 2014 draft. So the question in this thread should be are you happy with the post draft play of your first round pick from the 2014 draft? You may get more honest assessments instead of posters trying to claim my pick is better then yours (which is whats going on here for the most part).

People need to realize that Nylander DOES get destroyed by hits in the AHL regularly. Thats the game plan for players when engaging him in the boards and the corners. Watch the games, he gets hit a lot, the AHL isn't a passive league. Nylander got clobbered by a hit just last game. It doesn't matter, he was still able to put up two points and set up the game winning goal. He himself said he doesn't notice a difference in the physicality in the AHL and the SHL. Physicality is not going to be the reason he doesn't make it in the NHL. It's if he will be able to adapt to the pace of the play and be able to execute on offensive opportunities against more structured and smarter defencemen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
People need to realize that Nylander DOES get destroyed by hits in the AHL regularly. Thats the game plan for players when engaging him in the boards and the corners. Watch the games, he gets hit a lot, the AHL isn't a passive league. Nylander got clobbered by a hit just last game. It doesn't matter, he was still able to put up two points and set up the game winning goal. He himself said he doesn't notice a difference in the physicality in the AHL and the SHL. Physicality is not going to be the reason he doesn't make it in the NHL. It's if he will be able to adapt to the pace of the play and be able to execute on offensive opportunities against more structured and smarter defencemen.

Agree with this. Nylander is actually tougher than most give him credit for. Not afraid to go to the dirty areas.

His biggest challenge will be like you said. Finding the time and space to make the skill plays we know he's capable of. There aren't a lot of players that can play the brand of quick, sneaky, dangling, playmaking hockey he does at the highest level. Kane and Gaudreau are the only 2 who come to mind. Nylander has the potential to succeed with his style but there have been tons of similar players before him that come in and are forced to change.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Its laughable that Virtanen isnt being mentioned at all. He hasn't shown that he is worthy of #6 overall (yet) but dropping him out of the top 10 is ridiculous.

Most of the players mentioned are either in higher systems and producing or out playing Virtanen in junior. It's actually laughable you think Virtanen deserves to be put in over some of these guys. You're definitely a Canucks fan

Ekblad, Bennett, Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, Reinhart, MDC, Draisatl, Pasternak, Larkin are all prospects I'd take over Virtanen right now.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Draisaitl
4. Bennett
5. Dal Colle
6. Virtanen
7. Fluery
8. Nylander
9. Ehlers
10. Ritchie

Curious, compared to what Nylander has done in the SHL/AHL this year what has Virtanen done that would make you take him over Nylander besides being a biased Canucks fan ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It seems that even though Ehlers had a dynamite season, someone changed their perspective about him over the past season. I wonder why? ;)

From "Thrillinphil" circa April, 2014....(http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=83327169&postcount=514
)

We all know who this team is taking..... Nick Ritchie or Alex Tuch

and I know if Ehlers is on the board (god bless our scouts), this board is gonna explode

"Thrillinphil" circa April, 2015

If anything Ehlers is disgustingly overrated.... Nylander has the advantage and evidence.

Jeez, this board sometimes can drive you up the wall.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kapanen has 3 goals in AHL playoffs while Nylander has 0. Does Kapanen go in top5 now?

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden

Exactly!! I agree 100% with your assessment on Nylanders WJC. I question his work ethic. I haven't seen any of his AHL games, so i can't really say how he has been there.

Last edited:

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
It seems that even though Ehlers had a dynamite season, someone changed their perspective about him over the past season. I wonder why? ;)

From "Thrillinphil" circa April, 2014....(http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=83327169&postcount=514
)

"Thrillinphil" circa April, 2015

Lol rekt. Tbh I wanted leafs to take Ritchie or kapanen but I wasn't too concerned with last seasons draft because I thought wed be picking later haha. Glad we got Nylander but Ehlers looks like a stud as well.

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennet
Draisaitl (he's still a super skilled Deutschland dangler)
Nylander
Ehlers
Pasternak
Dal colle
Ritchie
Fleury

SchennSational1022*

Kapanen has 3 goals in AHL playoffs while Nylander has 0. Does Kapanen go in top5 now?

Short answer: no :laugh:. I wanted the Flyers to draft him and was so pissed we didn't, but they know more than me. He seems fine for where he was picked, hasn't had a great year honestly. Though he's a Pen, I'm rooting for him because of his dad :yo:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Reinhart dominated. Easily the best player in the tournament and Canada's best defensive forward. Not gonna comment on Nylander because this is already getting derailed Leafs style.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Most of the players mentioned are either in higher systems and producing or out playing Virtanen in junior. It's actually laughable you think Virtanen deserves to be put in over some of these guys. You're definitely a Canucks fan

Ekblad, Bennett, Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, Reinhart, MDC, Draisatl, Pasternak, Larkin are all prospects I'd take over Virtanen right now.

Correct on all counts

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reinhart in his draft year put up 105 points in 60 games. Draisaitl put up 105 points in 64 games.

This year Draisaitl has 53 points in 32 (1.65PPG) regular season games. Reinhart has 65 in 47 games (1.38PPG).

Reinhart put up 9 points in 7 playoffs games. Draisailt has put up 15 points in 9 games.

The two are pretty much equal in terms of production and probably hold the same value. They went number 2 and number 3 for a reason.

I can't see any reason why some posters would have Reinhart 2 and Draisaitl 8. I guess when you get drafted by the Oilers you automatically become forgotten.

Well, Ehlers put up 104 points in 63 games playing with one of the best players in the CHL at the time, then followed it up the next year without him putting up 101 points in 51 games (1.98ppg) and 31 points in 14 playoff games (2.21ppg).

So maybe we should have Ehlers higher than both of em :D.

Regardless, yeah Draisaitl being ranked that low by people is probably because he was playing on a dumpster fire team for awhile and it made him look bad. He's been a beast since returning to junior, playing the same competition as Reinhart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad