2014 NHL Re-Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Wow. Are you for real? If Nylander was bad, than the rest of team Sweden was ****ing woeful. You're. Also mad that he said "I want to score."? What's he supposed to say? That he doesn't want to contribute at all? Perhaps you wanted him to give you the run of the mill, "we need to play our game, get pucks deep, etc. Nylander was Sweden's best player and the best non-Canadian in the whole tournament. If he can finish with the second most points on a team that didn't medal, with guys like Lindblom playing with him, that is pretty frigging remarkable isn't it? Especially when you consider that he was the only non-Canadian up there in the first place. If that was a disappointing WJC, then Nylander must be like a generational talent. :sarcasm:
The Swedish team was disappointing for sure, but Nylander was still not Swedens best player. Again, anyone who watched the game with a neutral point of view knows that, which i can tell you didn't. You're just another typical leafs fan who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread, so i bet you actually think he is a generational talent. And i am mad about that because he came out as a total snob. It wasn't about helping the team, it was all about him being the star. It shouldn't matter who scores the goals as long as your team wins. You work your f'ing ass off until it pays off. Nylander didn't do that, i bet he wasn't even sweaty after the game against Slovakia. He didn't do anything.
Are you sure.....
Yeah because i don't work the same way as you do. I have already admitted that he's a good player, that he's been better than Virtanen this year, but that he wasn't great in the WJC. What's your problem?
I think you need to refresh your memory :laugh:

Watch that video and then re-read your post. :)

Wow a highlight reel. Should i be impressed? I guess watching the actual games doesn't matter, as long as you're having a video of some good plays, totally skipping the bad plays. I bet you'd make a great scout.
I hardly think you watch the games very carefully, I think you where just annoyed by his personality. Because he was dominating like crazy. Also 10p as a underages in a low scoring team is very good. But Nylander certainly have his share of haters (I would say most of the haters are from sweden) because of his personality, but saying he was not good in WJC 20 is just ridiculous, you need to re view the games with a more open and less hateries.

Forsling? He did get the points, but he didnt have a good tournament otherwise, very many mistake from Forsling and nothing special about his game at all in that tournament. But he did have good shoot that translated to a lot of goals. Aho was overall much much better than him.

Btw, WJC 20 is certainly a good measure, but nothing is certain and it is just part of the equation. But saying it is not a good measure to evaluate players in when that is the only tournament the best juniors play in against each other is weird.

I have a very hard time taking you seriously. Are YOU the one who are telling me to watch the games open-minded? Like i didn't do that? You're the biggest swede-homer around here :laugh: You even think that Nylander should have gone 1st overall referring to your 1st post in this thread :laugh: You even mentioned Forsling as a HM. Good lord. I had no issues with Nylander before the WJC, i was excited to see him play. You're just another swede who thinks that every single swede has the chance of being the next Peter Forsberg.

Also funny you brought up Forsling making many mistakes (?) since Nylander probably had more turnovers than Robert Hagg in the WJC. Forsling was also voted into the All-star team (the only swede btw). Ringing a bell? I wonder how many times i saw Nylander skate up the ice, laying back (making his best Patrick Kane expression) except he fell on the ice instead and lost the puck. Not to mention he was holding onto the puck WAY too long. He doesn't pick his places to do it, he's ALWAYS holding onto the puck for too long, pretty much.

Last edited:

bobbyt911

The Swedish team was disappointing for sure, but Nylander was still not Swedens best player. Again, anyone who watched the game with a neutral point of view knows that, which i can tell you didn't. You're just another typical leafs fan who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread, so i bet you actually think he is a generational talent. And i am mad about that because he came out as a total snob. It wasn't about helping the team, it was all about him being the star. It shouldn't matter who scores the goals as long as your team wins. You work your f'ing ass off until it pays off. Nylander didn't do that, i bet he wasn't even sweaty after the game against Slovakia. He didn't do anything.

Yeah because i don't work the same way as you do. I have already admitted that he's a good player, that he's been better than Virtanen this year, but that he wasn't great in the WJC. What's your problem?

Wow a highlight reel. Should i be impressed? I guess watching the actual games doesn't matter, as long as you're having a video of some good plays, totally skipping the bad plays. I bet you'd make a great scout.

I have a very hard time taking you seriously. Are YOU the one who are telling me to watch the games open-minded? Like i didn't do that? You're the biggest swede-homer around here :laugh: You even think that Nylander should have gone 1st overall referring to your 1st post in this thread :laugh: You even mentioned Forsling as a HM. Good lord. I had no issues with Nylander before the WJC, i was excited to see him play. You're just another swede who thinks that every single swede has the chance of being the next Peter Forsberg.

Also funny you brought up Forsling making many mistakes (?) since Nylander probably had more turnovers than Robert Hagg in the WJC. Forsling was also voted into the All-star team (the only swede btw). Ring any bells? I wonder how many times i saw Nylander skate up the ice, laying back (making his best Patrick Kane expression) except he fell on the ice instead and lost the puck. Not to mention he was holding onto the puck WAY too long. He doesn't pick his places to do it, he's ALWAYS holding onto the puck for too long, pretty much.

he allready has a point in the game toady listening on the radio sounds like Nylander stripped the puck, passed it to Percy, percy shot hit Froese who then potted it

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I've never seen a fan base hype a prospect up more than Nylander. (Not saying he isn't good) If he doesn't explode in the NHL very quickly it could get ugly.

bobbyt911

I've never seen a fan base hype a prospect up more than Nylander. (Not saying he isn't good) If he doesn't explode in the NHL very quickly it could get ugly.

if you notice the hype is proportionate to the pushback. Most Leaf fans think Nylander has passed Fleury, Virt, MDC and L.D. Thats all

bobbyt911

So? Again, when did i ever say that Nylander is a horrible player? We were talking about his WJC-performance, and nothing else.

they took his point away, I guess after he stripped the puck it was tipped by a Griffen before it got to Percy.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Then you haven't been around for long. Or you haven't come across any Oilers fans, Avs fans, Sens fans or Jets fans. And there are many others. Broaden your horizons.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As long as Milano falls to Columbus again IDGAF about the top 10 :laugh: had a pretty remarkable season on one of the worst teams in the entire CHL last season.

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
People may say that Leaf fans overrate Nylander. But I havent seen outsiders underrate a prospect so much in my life, on the plus side us Leaf fan feel that Nylander is the 5th best prospect in this draft, he honestly could be higher but as it stands he would be top 5 if a re-draft was to take place..... . BTW Look at some of these rankings lol, just laughable. Also Why is Ehlers some Bure clone, well Nylander is consider some Robbie Schremp clone. Even though putting impressive numbers in the SHL and AHL both men leagues as a 18 Year old.... and basically leading the Marlies to a playoff birth. If anything Ehlers is disgustingly overrated.... Nylander has the advantage and evidence.

Jeez, this board sometimes can drive you up the wall.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
People may say that Leaf fans overrate Nylander. But I havent seen outsiders underrate a prospect so much in my life, on the plus side us Leaf fan feel that Nylander is the 5th best prospect in this draft, he honestly could be higher but as it stands he would be top 5 if a re-draft was to take place..... . BTW Look at some of these rankings lol, just laughable. Also Why is Ehlers some Bure clone, well Nylander is consider some Robbie Schremp clone. Even though putting impressive numbers in the SHL and AHL both men leagues as a 18 Year old.... and basically leading the Marlies to a playoff birth. If anything Ehlers is disgustingly overrated.... Nylander has the advantage and evidence.

Jeez, this board sometimes can drive you up the wall.

ummmm... this seems a bit extreme.

Watch Ehlers play. Anyone who has can see that he has elite offensive talent and plays with competitiveness.

I really like Nylander and think he's a fantastic prospect, but knocking Ehlers because some don't rate Nylander highly seems a bit of a prickly over-reaction. I can see reason to agree with your last sentence. ;)

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Also funny you brought up Forsling making many mistakes (?) since Nylander probably had more turnovers than Robert Hagg in the WJC. Forsling was also voted into the All-star team (the only swede btw). Ringing a bell? I wonder how many times i saw Nylander skate up the ice, laying back (making his best Patrick Kane expression) except he fell on the ice instead and lost the puck. Not to mention he was holding onto the puck WAY too long. He doesn't pick his places to do it, he's ALWAYS holding onto the puck for too long, pretty much.

Your a homer!, and your a homer!, everyone's a homer!! Swedens roster was not that good, Nylander made the players around him better, his entire line was better than their "top line" for pretty much the entire tournament. we get that you're upset because you picked a total dud at 6 when players like ehlers and Nylander were still on the board but man, give it a rest. put any highly skilled offensively gifted player in nylanders position and you'll get the same thing.

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga

Kadri ugly? :nod:

And any of these lists without Sanheim in the top 10 are bogus.

Last edited:

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Your a homer!, and your a homer!, everyone's a homer!! Swedens roster was not that good, Nylander made the players around him better, his entire line was better than their "top line" for pretty much the entire tournament. we get that you're upset because you picked a total dud at 6 when players like ehlers and Nylander were still on the board but man, give it a rest. put any highly skilled offensively gifted player in nylanders position and you'll get the same thing.

It's you're*. Lol, saying that i'm bashing Nylander because my team didn't pick him is so untrue. I've already said that Nylander have been better than Virtanen this year, but that he wasn't that good in the WJC, are you f'ing ********? Your argument makes no sense, it's like pulling the "racist card" because you've nothing else to come up with. Anyone who says Nylander was great in the WJC is just looking at his points. He made some good plays, and he made some absolutely horrible plays.

Leafs fans ***** for Nylander is just ridiculous. But i can understand that. There's not too much that you guys can be excited about right now. And no, it's not like the Canucks were great in the playoffs either. But it doesn't hurt to be somewhat realistic. It's like when Luke Schenn was the next big thing.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
It's you're*. Lol, saying that i'm bashing Nylander because my team didn't pick him is so untrue. I've already said that Nylander have been better than Virtanen this year, but that he wasn't that good in the WJC, are you f'ing ********? Your argument makes no sense, it's like pulling the "racist card" because you've nothing else to come up with. Anyone who says Nylander was great in the WJC is just looking at his points. He made some good plays, and he made some absolutely horrible plays.

Leafs fans ***** for Nylander is just ridiculous. But i can understand that. There's not too much that you guys can be excited about right now. And no, it's not like the Canucks were great in the playoffs either. But it doesn't hurt to be somewhat realistic. It's like when Luke Schenn was the next big thing.

Still a dud

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Listening to Edmonton and Leaf fans argue is like watching the Jets and Sharks fight in West Side Story, lots of dancing before someone gets hurt in order to get to another part of the story.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013

First of all, I actually watched every single minute of every Sweden game in that tourney. I watched more Sweden games than I did Canada so I've definitely seen enough of the games to make a judgement.

You said, "I would say Nylander probably had 1 good game in the whole tournament, against Czech Republic."

I showed you a 10 minute video of Nylander making amazing plays in every game he played so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say you're a 'Nucks homer who is ******** over your team picking Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers. Don't make the rest of your fanbase look bad.

TheFuturist

Jul 2, 2010
Toronto, ON
Alright, let's take a crack at this. First of all, looking at the 2014 draft class, it is abundantly clear that this draft was deeper than most had anticipated. Personally, I think it was one of the stronger draft classes of the last 5 years and that is why there is so much variation in everyone's answers, there are just a lot of good players. With that being said, 1 year is not enough time to cause THAT much of a variation, as there is only so much that one year proves, the key to being a great pro is consistency and durability, nothing any of these players has even had a chance to prove. But in some cases it could have answered questions about pre-draft concerns, or on the flip side, the question marks could very well be there still and that will draw red flags.

1) Aaron Ekblad - This kid came as advertised, exceeded expectations and has had himself a near historic rookie season. The key for him going in to next season is to avoid the "sophomore slump." I generally try to look out for this in all prospects because it is in my opinion one of the few ways to try and gauge a young players mental toughness. Aaron Ekblad may be physically ready for the NHL as he proved this season, but is he mentally? If I had to bet I would say we will find him still slotted #1 in a redraft at the end of next season. Dude is a cornerstone defence man.

2) Sam Reinhart - Seems to be a great young kid with a professional attitude and all the right tools needed to make him great. This kid screams Jonathan Toews to me, who is in my opinion a more offensive version of bergeron and may be key to winning a Stanley Cup. Although, he may have struggled at the beginning of this year and started slow, but ultimately he played well in the WJC and still finished strong in the WHL. I have him kept at number 2 because although he may have created some question marks about his game, I think he will answer them all very soon and prove to everyone how good he is.

3) Sam Bennet - I think him and Reinhart are very close, but are different kinds of players. I'm not really sure who I would project Bennet as, possibly a Marty St. Louis in his prime? Either way, he has a very strong fundamental game, a huge drive, and the offensive tools to make himself a point per game player who always gives it everything on every shift. In my opinion he has the potential to give Calgary one of the best 1-2 punches down the middle in the NHL if everything goes right with their youngsters. In short, he almost made the NHL out of camp, was sidelined with a huge injury, came back and continued his awesomeness right in to the NHL playoffs. That is the hardest hockey in the world he is currently playing in as an 18 year old on a shortened season he does not look out of place, in fact even stands out in glimpses. That is more than enough for this kid to prove he is a top prospect and gives him the slight edge over the remainder of the group.

---BREAK---

After the top 3 it gets very difficult. The top 3 are above because they were near consensus top 3 picks last season and have done nothing but prove they are players. Reinhart was a standout in my opinion at the WJC and just played a perfect game, he is a coaches dream and that is why I have him lumped with the rest.

The next group had minor question marks and answered them to an extent, but one season out of the NHL is not enough to prove those question marks are fully gone, we need to see you do it again next year if.

4) William Nylander - I thought he was a top 5 TALENT going into the draft, but didn't have enough exposure to him to really know anything about his personality or work ethic, I had to take what the media reported and then see for myself. Well I will say this, I am a Leafs fan so I have followed this kid closely all season, and I have to say, if he can repeat his performance, and continue to get nothing but high praises from his coaches, he has the ability to be a really special player. He was regarded as a top 3 pick the year before the draft for a reason, he had an NHL ready shot, NHL ready skating, and NHL ready hands at 17 years old. Excelled as a #1 C in SHL, played very well in the WJC, and in my opinion he was misused fully and Sweden could have faired better using him more, and finally he has followed that up with a solid start in the AHL. But the questions about him were not about his hockey skill, but attitude, and defensive awareness. In think he has answered most of them. Not to mention he is now 5'11 and 189 lbs. gaining nearly 15 pounds from his draft year and hasn't lost any of his speed. I have him at number 4 because of risk vs reward. These next 3 players can be lumped in any order based on what they have done to date. I put Nylander 4 because I think he is one of two players that can be as good as the top 3. And if he does reach that level, he could be 1/2, the potential is sky high with him, if he reaches it, it will be as a #1 C and not a winger, and that is why Leafs fans are so excited. Given the way he sees the ice, gains zones, and dishes off passes, if he is not brought along as a center next year, I will be disappointed in managements decision to say the least.

5) Nikola Ehlers - This is actually the player that I wanted the Leafs to draft because I had been following him all year, heard he was a work horse in the gym, and in my opinion did not have a very high bust chance. He is an offensive dynamo and going to be a great player for the Jets for years to come. The only real question about him was if he was carried by Drouin's play at all or if he could do it himself. Again more than exceeded expectations but in an offensively weak draft he could turn out to be the top player, based on potential and risk vs reward, I put him 5th. The only reason I have Nylander ahead is because he has the potential to be a centre. But like I said, based on next years performance, if Nylander is in the AHL and not a C, I will begin to have my doubts and Ehlers may prove more based on his performance next season. Winnipeg and Toronto both got solid value for their picks and they are more than happy so far.

6 - Leon Draisaitl - Another player that could be ranked number 4. A big pivot that is dominating junior hockey. I think he just needed some more time to develop before being thrust in to the NHL. I don't think his offence can translate as EASILY as the two players I put above him, but again, he could answer all those questions next year and shoot right back up. Great potential to be that big #1 C, I am just worried that with McDavid and RNH in front of him it may stunt his development. Because I see a little bit more risk with him he is ranked 6, but that is no slight against him, he was more or less consensus #4 last year, but Edmonton liked what they saw and he could still challenge for a top 3 position in years to come if everything goes his way. I really like him as a prospect and would love the idea of a deal centred around him and Phaneuf, unfortunately that is probably just a dream now that he has done so well in the WHL once being sent back.

7 - Michael Dal Colle - This kid is a great leader, been a winner since his GTHL days and is going to be a solid pro. He is a great goal scorer, under-rated playmaker, and really uses his big frame with a great drive to the net which makes him a threat to score a lot of goals on JTs wing. He has the skating, shot velocity and release for the NHL. I think he will challenge for a roster spot next season and could surprise some people. NYI have a good team that should be able to insulate a player like him nicely. Potential 40 goal scorer, another guy that can move his way back in to the top 5 next season. It is not a matter of him doing anything wrong that caused him to fall, I just think other prospects may have done a bit more. His exemption from WJC as well as other peers playing at higher levels/higher leagues is what has caused him to drop slightly.

8 - David Pastrnak - At this point what he has done so far in the NHL is enough to warrant him being a top 10 pick. If you could guarantee a scout these numbers in draft year + 1, that is a difficult thing to turn down. I don't know how high his offensive potential is, or what he is going to do next year, so I think there are still some questions marks there. But the kid has proven he is an NHL player, at this point all we can do is sit back and see how high he can go or if he is in for a slight dip in production. Only time will tell but either way he can be a serviceable player in the NHL.

9 - Dylan Larkin - After a very good draft +1 year in the NCAA it looks like Detroit has grabbed themself another great prospect who could really excel with the way the Red Wings play hockey. I have not watched too much of him but he looked solid and as advertised in the WJC. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do next season, I'm sure he will be back with Michigan to continue dominating the big 10. This is probably the best prospect detroit has had in some time. I am also curious as to how they develop him, if he goes trough the detroit model to the AHL after next season, or if he can make the jump to the NHL straight out of college. I personally think he could be NHL ready after next season.

10 - Kevin Fiala - Yet another player that can move up in this redraft in the future. If his game can continue to translate to the NHL, and it has in the AHL, he could be a special player. Has some good offensive tools, and because of that may be up with the big club as early as next season. He rounds out the list of a very solid group of players.

Of course there can be arguments for some other players. I tried to factor in potential and likelihood of reaching it and put a little stock in to what they did this season. The list can change completely in a years time.

Honorable Mentions: Jake Virtanen, Nick Ritchie, Jakub Vrana, Anthony DeAngelo.

Last edited:

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Still a dud
Still have nothing to come up with :laugh: man are you a sad one
Or like how Hodgson was the next big thing? Pretty funny to see someone so up in arms about Nylander :laugh:
Why because leafs fans can't handle peoples opinions that aren't biased by any means? Sure thing.
First of all, I actually watched every single minute of every Sweden game in that tourney. I watched more Sweden games than I did Canada so I've definitely seen enough of the games to make a judgement.

You said, "I would say Nylander probably had 1 good game in the whole tournament, against Czech Republic."

I showed you a 10 minute video of Nylander making amazing plays in every game he played so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say you're a 'Nucks homer who is ******** over your team picking Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers. Don't make the rest of your fanbase look bad.

Yeah a video showing only his good plays, and not even one of his bad plays. Bring me a "shift by shift" vid at the WJC with Nylander and then you can come back and talk, Mr Pro Scout. I also love how you're trying to sell the video. "AMAZING PLAYS IN EVERY GAME!!" Did he score between his legs or something? Not saying he didn't make some great plays there, but you don't need to exaggerate.

Me being a Canucks fan have absolutely nothing to do with this. I couldn't care f'ing less if the Leafs or the Blue Jackets drafted him. Again, i have admitted probably 5 times thus far that i wasn't happy about the Virtanen pick, and that several players drafted lower than him have been better this year. Are you dumb? How am i bashing Nylander to feel better about the Virtanen pick, when i'm even admitting that he's the better player? Makes no f'ing sense. ALL IM SAYING IS THAT HE DIDN'T HAVE A GREAT WJC. I'm not making my fanbase look bad, cuz it has nothing to do with "my team". You're showing that you're just another ignorant fan, however.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Obviously I just sound like a big homer, but anyone who puts Virtanen on a list instead of Sanheim clearly hasn't watched any/many Calgary Hitmen games this this season. :biglaugh:

Ewan McGregor*

If I'm an Oiler fan (thank god I'm not), I'd be worried about Draisaitl actually. His performance in the NHL made him look absolutely lost. Hope that didn't do a number on his confidence. Amateur management strikes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad