Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Trading down is all about reacting to the events of the night. You can't really say "they should trade down" without knowing A) the order of the Stars' board and B) the actual order guys are selected.

The only exception would be a club with a very thin pool that simply needs to restock to get bodies in the system. That ain't the Stars.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Trading down is all about reacting to the events of the night. You can't really say "they should trade down" without knowing A) the order of the Stars' board and B) the actual order guys are selected.

The only exception would be a club with a very thin pool that simply needs to restock to get bodies in the system. That ain't the Stars.

Did anyone say trade back right now though? That seems like a pretty obvious statement. Based on McDonnell's comments though it seems reasonable that they could be looking at 10 or 15 players all with similar rankings sitting there at 14. Seems like reasonable speculation a trade back could happen probably even more likely than trading up a few spots.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Right, but they're not going to just have groups of prospects, they'll have an ordered board with specific targets. I'm saying it's just difficult to impossible to evaluate the wisdom or non-wisdom of trading back without knowing that board. The act of trading back will be more motivated by the last guy they consider worthy of 14th overall being called by another team more than the idea that half of a round is a grab bag. Prospect quality vis a vis position is an exponentially declining continuum. I think you have to be very careful about willingly giving up your place in that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd agree with that, and I'd also say 10 or 15 was too large of a number. Most trade backs are only several places and a maybe a late 2nd or third.

The trade back I toyed with is a large leap to make, and I think you're right they'd have no players with grades in the teens remaining likely.

I wonder though how detailed they get though. It'd be interesting to see if they group them as guys worthy of picks in a range of 5 or 10 or how they do it. Imagine it's not exactly a universal system either.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Interesting piece on Ho-Sang from Steve Simmons.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

Wonder if the Stars interviewed him at all. Certainly has the talent.

Hopefully the Stars have seen from the Seguin trade that taking a risk on a dynamic player with supposed "personality flaws" can mean a big payoff. I'd say we should pass with 14, but move up to take him if he's still on the board near the end of the 1st round.

More likely than not a smart team like the Sharks or the Blackhawks are going to scoop this kid up in the late 1st round, and he'll turn out to be a top line player.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm probably the #1 Ho-Sang fan on this board and I agree with Jimmy Hughes in that article that it's impossible to predict where he'll go. I can see him gone by the Stars' 1st pick and still available by the time the Stars' 2nd rolls around. I certainly hope the Stars are one of the 18 who fully did their research.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I wouldn't touch this arrogant *** with a 7th round pick despite the talent level. This type of attitude wrecks dressing rooms.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
I wouldn't touch this arrogant *** with a 7th round pick despite the talent level. This type of attitude wrecks dressing rooms.

It only sounds like arrogance because we're so used to robotic answers from players with no personality. I have no problem with a guy speaking his mind, he has a right to be frustrated and disgusted with the hockey old boys club after the way he was handled in the OHL - did you see that play that got him a 20+ game suspension? with no history of discipline? Wouldn't have even been looked at if it was some kid from a more traditional (=white) background.

Nobody debates that this kid has first round talent, the talent of a top line player in the NHL. His personality is going to evolve over time, I was pretty angry myself at 18... I mean I still am pretty angry, but I've seen other people change over time. :p:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I have said that Ho-Sang is probably the most talented player in this draft before. I've seen him play in person a couple times and he's a very fun player to watch.

Robbie Earl displayed the same confidence (or cockiness) that Ho-Sang is showing right now... it didn't really work out for him very well.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
People saying take the best players available/take a risk in the 1st round and are not even considering Ho-Sang in their top 5 of potentially available players at 14 are nuts IMO.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Are the quotes awesome though? Showing that arrogance doesn't historically work for hockey players.

If a team has to go through the extra measure to manage a player's off-ice conduct, especially a prospect, is it worth it? I can see why a lot of teams have him outside of the 1st round but of course a team could look at it like they've got a steal if they get him after 15.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If you like the way Josh Ho-Sang plays why wouldn't you just take Sonny Milano since he carries much less baggage?

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Are the quotes awesome though? Showing that arrogance doesn't historically work for hockey players.

If a team has to go through the extra measure to manage a player's off-ice conduct, especially a prospect, is it worth it? I can see why a lot of teams have him outside of the 1st round but of course a team could look at it like they've got a steal if they get him after 15.

What has he done off the ice except believe he is the best and say it?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
What has he done off the ice except believe he is the best and say it?

Lead the Spitfires in scoring this year.

The next question is, after going through our time machine, is "what had PK Subban done when he was drafted" and now look at him now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad