Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Nylander had elite offense sure, i'm not convince he has elite offense, elite is 90+ points. I'm certainty not giving up a potential superstar goalie for a 75 point player.
Well, we'll see. Before last year you either had one or no players hitting 90 points per season, and then suddenly 20 guys do it. I know there are still a lot of guys scoring at crazy paces this year, but IDK, I'm not buying that we have a dozen or more guys score 120 points like they're on pace for. If the league really does become a place when 20+ guys score 90 or more every year and Nylander tops out at 75 then yes, that would change things from my perspective. But, I'd like to see what he does when he comes back.

Richter and Lundqvist have been my two favorite players, ever. I understand how important the position is. I just think that history shows it's easier to win a Cup without a good/really good-but-not-superstar goaltender but with elite offensive talent, than it is the other way around. So if you can get elite offensive talent at the expense of Shestyorkin, I'd do it. I think we'd have an easier time finding a good enough goalie than we would finding elite talent.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I wouldn't trade Shesterkin for just about anything. It's almost incredible to think you have a goalie like Hank and then can go to a goalie like Shesterkin right after. Remember how long it took to find a goalie after Richter.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wouldn't trade Shesterkin for just about anything. It's almost incredible to think you have a goalie like Hank and then can go to a goalie like Shesterkin right after. Remember how long it took to find a goalie after Richter.
Not to go off topic but our goaltending issues were in part due to the fact that the team in front of Dunham and co. were disasters. Put a half decent defense in front of Dunham and we would have been good.

I'm not even that high on Nylander and I would trade Sheshty for him as I think @nyr2k2 is spot on. You don't need an elite goaltender to win. You need elite C's/C depth and having a 1-2 punch of Nylander/Zibby would be great.

With that being said, unless we are getting a 22 and under player that will be either an elite C or D, trading Sheshty is a terrible idea as it could likely end up being a Tukka Rask scenario. Easily palatable if you get a elite guy back. Not so much otherwise.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Richter's last season was 02-03. Henrik came right out of the lockout, so it was really only a couple seasons of Dunham and crew. Dunham was really good initially then terrible behind a terrible team. And Lundqvist might not have been Lundqvist had Blackburn not killed his shoulder.

I'm not saying it's easy to find a superstar goalie. I'm saying I don't think you need a superstar goalie to win, and that having elite talent up front (and on the back end, to a large degree) is more important than having a Lundqvist between the pipes. You can see this with all the random goalies that have won titles in the past 20+ years.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

It has the potential to be a Packers scenario

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
My issue with Nylander is that I am not sure what his upside is away from an elite center. I am sure I can put up 20 points playing with Matthews and I can't even skate.

I think that's what I'm scared of... he played on a purely offensive team with some really skilled players. Then again, Shesty is completely unproven. There would be a lot more than him heading Toronto's way (think Howden and/or Hajek).

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Id trade him in a heartbeat for nylander are you guys nuts? Look at Talbot Raanta Georgiev all developed well under Allaire. So much harder to find top end offensive players than good goaltenders. Especially for us.

I’d draft Spencer Knight in June and he’d be my guy of the future with Hank and Georgiev holding it down until then.

Toronto would never do this by the way.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Not to go off topic but our goaltending issues were in part due to the fact that the team in front of Dunham and co. were disasters. Put a half decent defense in front of Dunham and we would have been good.

Dunham was good until Sather overplayed him and he got injured. Everyone knew Dunham had some injury history (I believe groin injury history) but the Rangers had no good backup options and so rode Dunham until he broke. He was never the same after that injury.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sorokin is in the net today for the first Russian National team game against Finland (First leg of Euro Tour - Karyala Cup). Shesterkin is likely scheduled to play in the second game against Sweden.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Id trade him in a heartbeat for nylander are you guys nuts? Look at Talbot Raanta Georgiev all developed well under Allaire. So much harder to find top end offensive players than good goaltenders. Especially for us.

I’d draft Spencer Knight in June and he’d be my guy of the future with Hank and Georgiev holding it down until then.

Toronto would never do this by the way.
Exactly. Having the elite goalie (if this guy even is elite) is not nearly as important as having elite skaters. Chicago won 3 Cups with goalies who were not nearly as good as Lundqvist, Pittsburgh won 3 with goalies not as good as Lundqvist.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You keeping score? That’s flattering
Scores are specific. I only have a general notion.

Like I'll read a comment, wince, see the name and think "oh yea he does that a lot"

Very rarely, I'll do that to my own posts. Usually I'll go, hey that's pretty reasonab-oh...it's me.

Other times "too hostile... oh...f*** "

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Very excited to see Shestyorkin. I think he could be very good.

With that said, you trade him for Nylander 10 times out of 10. Toronto would never do it. Nylander is s proven young scorer/core player. He may not be a franchise #1 center, but he'll realistically score at least 70+points a year. Shestyorkin hasn't even played here yet. To say no to the deal, you have to be nearly certain that he's not only going to be a successful NHL goalie, but a legit top 5 tender for a considerable amount of time. Are you that sure?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dunham was good until Sather overplayed him and he got injured. Everyone knew Dunham had some injury history (I believe groin injury history) but the Rangers had no good backup options and so rode Dunham until he broke. He was never the same after that injury.

The Rangers insisted on being one of the last teams in the NHL to stop playing defense like it was 1992.

Before Dunham, my heart would break for Richter. God knows what crazy numbers he would’ve had on a defensive team.

Hell, look what it did for Beezer. Do people suddenly think he found a new level of clarity that allowed him to shave nearly a goal per game off his already 10 year old game, while magically increasing his saves by 3 percent?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Going to be very interesting how we handle the goalies next year. Does Georgiev spend the majority of his time in Hartford? Is he dealt? Shesterkin I’m certain isn’t coming here to play in Hartford. I know we’ve discussed it but this is going to be very intriguing story next summer

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Going to be very interesting how we handle the goalies next year. Does Georgiev spend the majority of his time in Hartford? Is he dealt? Shesterkin I’m certain isn’t coming here to play in Hartford. I know we’ve discussed it but this is going to be very intriguing story next summer
I would imagine so unless Shest really craps the bed at training camp. Shest is the future, the organization knows that. Georgiev will be his backup in a few years.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I would imagine so unless Shest really craps the bed at training camp. Shest is the future, the organization knows that. Georgiev will be his backup in a few years.

I’d love for that to be the case but one would have to go to Hartford for most likely at least 2 years. That’s tough

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't see Shesty coming over to play in Hartford for two seasons.
Georgiev either goes down or gets traded as part of a larger package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad