Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Different names for sure but close enough phonetically. Name Yegor sounds similar in both languages, the only difference being the pronunciation of the last "r".

I thought one was Yegor and one was Eegar. Maybe I'm wrong, I've never met anyone named Yegor, which sounds like the name of a villager to me.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember someone once saying Yegor was an "old" name, like naming a woman Beatrice or Mildred or a man Herbert or Wilbur.

Reactions: will1066

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I remember someone once saying Yegor was an "old" name, like naming a woman Beatrice or Mildred or a man Herbert or Wilbur.

Sorry to take a detour to baseball, but I always laugh when I hear the name Gerrit Cole.

Gerrit is a typical grandpa name in Dutch. Now that he's with the Yankees, and my girlfriend has sort of convinced me to support them, I can't watch the game without laughing

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Can't believe the people in the GDT and elsewhere clamoring for him to be called up because Hank and Georgie have "struggled" lately. Why would you want to subject him to this horrific, league worst defense as his introduction to the NHL?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Can't believe the people in the GDT and elsewhere clamoring for him to be called up because Hank and Georgie have "struggled" lately. Why would you want to subject him to this horrific, league worst defense as his introduction to the NHL?

Yea they need to figure out the Team D in NY first

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean you can wait until next year, but if the same coaching staff and most of the same players are around, there's no guarantee that things will be any better. Eventually you have to give the guy the opportunity. You wouldn't hold back a dominant scoring forward if your offense was the worst in the league, or you wouldn't hold back a stud defender because our defense is what it is. You give them the chance and hope they can contribute.

Shesterkin has been shelled in Hartford before. It's not like he can't handle it. He's been fantastic everywhere he plays, so I don't see him being ruined or anything.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It’s going to happen sooner or later this season. Whether or not it’s because they just want him to get some NHL games in or one of the other two guys gets hurt/sick.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If anyone caught the pre-game the other night where they had a spotlight on Shesty, it was interesting.

He’s a humble kid which I love — but he wants to play up here soon. Very soon. There’s no chance in hell he stays another year in Hartford. Hell, expecting him to continue playing there now with the way he’s played is already asking for a lot.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
If anyone caught the pre-game the other night where they had a spotlight on Shesty, it was interesting.

He’s a humble kid which I love — but he wants to play up here soon. Very soon. There’s no chance in hell he stays another year in Hartford. Hell, expecting him to continue playing there now with the way he’s played is already asking for a lot.
Has he watched the Rangers attempt to play defense this season?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Something interesting I haven't seen many people talk about but I remember from an article a while back, Shesterkin grew up a Ranger fan and Henrik Lundqvist was his idol since he was a little boy.

"- For what hockey team did the son root for in childhood?
"For the New York Rangers."
- Who was his main childhood idol?
- His idol still plays in this club. This is goalkeeper Henrik Lundqvist."

Елена Шестёркина: стать вратарём – это выбор самого Игоря

"Henrik Lundqvist is my idol since I was a little boy, so I very much look forward to seeing him on the ice and learning what he does on the ice,"

Shesterkin inspired to learn from Lundqvist with Rangers

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Georgiev has also said he was a Rangers fan as a kid and maybe Lundqvist was his idol?

I think Shesterkin will get his shot soon but the Rangers unfortunately are just in a tough spot to figure out what to do with him vs Georgiev. I like Georgiev but I still can't help but think Shesterkin is more athletic and all other things considered I'd like the more athletic goalie

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Sorry to take a detour to baseball, but I always laugh when I hear the name Gerrit Cole.

Gerrit is a typical grandpa name in Dutch. Now that he's with the Yankees, and my girlfriend has sort of convinced me to support them, I can't watch the game without laughing

I find this to be quite amusing as well. It’s such a dull name.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad