Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He really does play a poised and controlled game, doesn't he? Like somehow, he makes great saves look both dazzling and calm at the same time. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it.

Equally important, I actually think the team plays tighter in front of him for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the rebound control or what, but the defensive zone as a whole has looked much tighter with him in net. Maybe it's his ability to stickhandle that is preventing teams from dumping the puck as much? I'm honestly not sure. But whenever he's in the net, it seems like the team leaves way less room in the defensive zone.

Bear in mind, I missed the first two periods last night so I'm not sure if that was the case there too. But in period 3, like the other games I've seen him play, I saw far more shotblocking from this team and far less disorganized "scramble."

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things or if there's data out there to support my hypothesis.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Love watching Igor play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more positionally precise rookie goalie.

Notice his tiny upright lateral shuffles while the puck is at the top of the zone, to keep his angles perfect.

It appears he’s already mastered his mental focus and understands completely how his frame covers the net behind him.

All his movements are calculated and with a purpose. There is very little extra movement and I really haven’t seen him flail or break out of his stance.

Throw in his stoic demeanor, his history of winning, his quiet competitiveness, his borderline scary hockey sense and ability to play the puck like a third defenseman.

Has anyone interviewed Benoit about him? He must be a dream goalie for him to work with. I wonder what, if anything this kid can improve upon, honestly.

He has a very unique glove hand and while he keeps it in a good position he almost stabs at the puck when catching it which I could see being a problem but then again I don’t know? It may just be another point of his game he has mastered

Man oh man, I think we got ourselves a jewel here.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Big test for Igor coming up. Road game, long travel to Winnipeg who can score in bunches. I fully expect the d to play horrible in front of him and give up a lot of powerplay opportunities.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Can not help feel little sorry for Lundqvist must be heart breaking watching Igor from the bench reminding him that he is finished and he knows what fame is waiting for the new king Igor.

Think Igor is already clearly is the better goalie question is are Igor better than Henrik was at the age of 24?what do you all think?

Reactions: Whoot Whoot

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can not help feel little sorry for Lundqvist must be heart breaking watching Igor from the bench reminding him that he is finished and he knows what fame is waiting for the new king Igor.

Think Igor is already clearly is the better goalie question is are Igor better than Henrik was at the age of 24?what do you all think?

The writing was on the wall when Gorton asked him if he was willing to waive his NMC. He didn't. So he knew the possible consequences.

I can't really feel sorry for an athlete making millions, living in Manhattan.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
The writing was on the wall when Gorton asked him if he was willing to waive his NMC. He didn't. So he knew the possible consequences.

I can't really feel sorry for an athlete making millions, living in Manhattan.

Im with you but the money cant fix the feeling he must having not winning the cup with Rangers and the glory days are over.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Im with you but the money cant fix the feeling he must having not winning the cup with Rangers and the glory days are over.

Lundqvist has said he prefers to stay with the Rangers over winning a Cup elsewhere. Maybe winning a Cup doesn't mean as much to him? For European players it may be different. He won gold in the WC, Olympics. If he goes down as the best goalie to never win a Cup, that's something that will show up in a lot of lists/tv shows etc.

He had his chance to chase a Cup and he said "no"

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Quick reminder that the Rangers drafted Brandon Halverson and Keegan Iverson ahead of Igor in 2014. Drafting hockey players is stupid.

Shesty would've been a mid-2nd round pick had he been in North America. I don't really put much stock where Russians are taken. We took those guys over Sorokin (who was taken over Shesty), too, who is still in Russia and may not come over for another year or longer. KHL guys are just viewed different (and rightfully so sometimes) in the draft.

Sorokin is probably a late 1st round pick if he was in North America during his draft year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Shesterkin’s size at the time scared off teams in a period where everyone was looking for 6’3 6’4 goalies. But it appears he grew a bit to that important 6’2 mark along with his speed in an era where the league is so much faster than its ever been and looks to be another absolute steal as Henrik once was.

I can’t say he’s better than hank was at that age but he might be. He’s a better puck handler by 100%. And more importantly I think his demeanor is special. Hank will be in the hall of fame and his intensity will he one of the reasons he gets there but I also think it’s been a detriment as well for him in finishing series and or in big spots at times not always but at times. I think Shesterkin is stone cold and he understands the moments in games he needs to come up big.

I can’t wait to see how he responds in a playoff atmosphere

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Shesty would've been a mid-2nd round pick had he been in North America. I don't really put much stock where Russians are taken. We took those guys over Sorokin (who was taken over Shesty), too, who is still in Russia and may not come over for another year or longer. KHL guys are just viewed different (and rightfully so sometimes) in the draft.

Sorokin is probably a late 1st round pick if he was in North America during his draft year.
I’m just saying that the NHL draft is an absurd crapshoot all around.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Incredible game from him tonight. In fact, he's been nothing but incredible so far in general.

Honestly? I think he could be.

Henrik obviously was incredibly fast and athletic with great reflexes. He was more exciting to watch in some ways and was daring by staying so deep in his net at all times back then. He completely stole games and carried the team on a regular basis.

But Igor has that same speed and athleticism along with a more efficient positioning game, FAR better puck handling, and ridiculous rebound control. His glove hand is more precise too.

He also always knows where the puck is. Always. At least in the games I've seen him play. Incredible tracking.

I give 24 year old Hank the edge in sheer acrobatics, but everything else I'd lean towards Shesty.

And that's hard to say since Hank is my guy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad