Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
38 or 39 or whatever--I'm still pretty doubtful about giving him another contract. He's still a very good goaltender but he's not an elite goaltender anymore. Two more years backstopping the current team (and the kids coming along in the meanwhile) aren't likely to give him another wind and we have Georgiev and Shestyorkin--much younger goalies and the idea should be to turn it over to them at least if we're serious about our youth movement.

Henrik is not winning a Stanley Cup for us--or at least not as a player and sentimentality is no way to run an NHL hockey team. The writing is on the wall for him as a hockey player--Hall of Famer--yes. Stanley Cup winner-no. We're going to need to move on from him when his time is up.

He has been a great player for the Rangers but the writing is on the wall. The team is rebuilding. They have younger goaltenders coming.

He will be 39 when he is current contract expires. The Rangers aren’t offering him more than one year. 35 plus contract. They aren’t giving him big money either. He will be making $5.5M in his last year of his contract. One year at a big paycut. He isn’t taking that. He will move back to Sweden.

The Rangers will retire his number and everyone goes home happy.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have a really hard time anointing Georgiev as Hank's successor. He's looked good in some games this year but hasn't handled anywhere near to a full load yet and hardly appears to be a sure thing. There's promise but I still don't think of him as ahead of Shesty. I do agree with your overall blueprint for keeping him, however.
Believe me, I do not want Georgiev to be Hank’s successor. I dont think he is ahead of Igor at all, but until Igor is here proving his worth, GG is the only guy we have with any possible success. And he is still somewhat young. So as it stands he is the only guy at the moment*. GG i think could be one of those very good backups in the league but never the main man. Praying Igor takes off and then Lindbom becomes an even better backup than GG can be, as in a 1B goalie. Or Huska for that matter. Benoit Allaire is a magician.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He has been a great player for the Rangers but the writing is on the wall. The team is rebuilding. They have younger goaltenders coming.

He will be 39 when he is current contract expires. The Rangers aren’t offering him more than one year. 35 plus contract. They aren’t giving him big money either. He will be making $5.5M in his last year of his contract. One year at a big paycut. He isn’t taking that. He will move back to Sweden.

Not arguing with any of that. Our path back to real contention is going to be without him unless they find some kind of management role for him. I'm not against that by the way but hanging on to Hank is going to come at some kind of expense to Shestyorkin and/or Georgiev and they are our future in net.

We went through this crap kind of with Messier. That should be a learning point reference for Rangers fans. There's a point where you have to let go.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

If I were Hank I’d probably choose to go to Calgary or San Jose for two shots at the Cup, but I respect and understand his choice to stay. Also I actually can see Lundqvist taking $5.5 m one year contract here after the current deal expires if the Rangers were to offer it. NY is his home now.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This article sheds some light on this topic, and for the 2349th time, Henrik isn't leaving the Rangers for another team.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/22/henrik-lundqvist-admits-rangers-losing-taking-a-toll/

I have no doubt it is tough mentally on him. He's a sore loser---not that that's a bad thing--I'm a sore loser too. If he can stick out the next two years--great. He's been the best Rangers goalie in my lifetime and I go all the way back to Giacomin and Villemure---I'd put him over every single goalie we've ever had and he should go straight to the Hall of Fame but I don't see him being part of the picture when we're a team that can contend again. I'd also like to see Georgiev and Shestyorkin getting lots of starts in the next couple years.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hank isn't going anywhere and will ride out his contract. The question is, will Rangers brass do the right thing and move him into a back up role. Whether he is currently better than Georgiev or Igor is irrelevant. This team is a couple of years away from contending and the young goalies need a chance to play to see what we have.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...He's been the best Rangers goalie in my lifetime and I go all the way back to Giacomin and Villemure---I'd put him over every single goalie we've ever had and he should go straight to the Hall of Fame...

Hank has done all he could to get the Rangers the SC. It’s not his fault how it didn’t work out during his Hall of Fame career. I’d pick him over not only any other Rangers goalie, but any NHL goalie across the expansion era including arguably better goalies in Roy and Brodeur. The only goalie I pause and might chose over Hank is Hasek.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Hank has done all he could to get the Rangers the SC. It’s not his fault how it didn’t work out during his Hall of Fame career. I’d pick him over not only any other Rangers goalie, but any NHL goalie across the expansion era including arguably better goalies in Roy and Brodeur. The only goalie I pause and might chose over Hank is Hasek.
I get the spirit of your post, and Hank has been a true HOF warrior for us, but if we'd had prime Hasek the past 10 years we would have had 2+ cups imo

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I get the spirit of your post, and Hank has been a true HOF warrior for us, but if we'd had prime Hasek the past 10 years we would have had 2+ cups imo

As much as I think Hank is generally underrated by the average hockey fan, I agree that Hasek would of given us a better shot at a cup.

1. Gretzky
2/3. Orr and Lemieux
4/5. Hasek and Howe

Reactions: romba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hard to say. Buffalo had some good teams when he was there, in his prime. But they were also like the Rangers, filled with guys like Satan, Dumont, Zhitnik, Afinogenov, Kalinin, Peca, Woolley, McKee, etc. Guys that were good to really good, depending on the season, but no one that was great. They had many playoff trips, a division win, a Cup Finals appearance, etc. That was his prime and he never carried them over the top.

Of course he did win after leaving, albeit on a Red Wings team that had like 10 Hall of Fame players on it, LOL. Hasek is, for my money, the single most talented goaltender I've ever seen, but I don't know if he would have been the difference for us in any of our really good years. Maybe, but it's far from a certainty.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hard to say. Buffalo had some good teams when he was there, in his prime. But they were also like the Rangers, filled with guys like Satan, Dumont, Zhitnik, Afinogenov, Kalinin, Peca, Woolley, McKee, etc. Guys that were good to really good, depending on the season, but no one that was great. They had many playoff trips, a division win, a Cup Finals appearance, etc. That was his prime and he never carried them over the top.

Of course he did win after leaving, albeit on a Red Wings team that had like 10 Hall of Fame players on it, LOL. Hasek is, for my money, the single most talented goaltender I've ever seen, but I don't know if he would have been the difference for us in any of our really good years. Maybe, but it's far from a certainty.

Every word 100%! Proof is that he never got a cup in Buffalo and only had a chance to get one with Detroit.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think next year Shesty will be brought over and start in the AHL, barring any Georgiev trade before next season. I would hope that they find a way to work him into the lineup by the end of the season.

I think a buyout of Lundqvist's contract should be explored after next season, perhaps even after this one.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think next year Shesty will be brought over and start in the AHL, barring any Georgiev trade before next season. I would hope that they find a way to work him into the lineup by the end of the season.

I think a buyout of Lundqvist's contract should be explored after next season, perhaps even after this one.

That will never happen.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
That will never happen.

Probably not, but if we have 2 young goalies who are both outperforming Hank by the end of the season theres little reason to keep him around. A buyout after next season leaves 5.5mil cap eaten the following season, and 1.5 mil the season after that.

Its way more likely one of the anchors on D get bought out, though.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Probably not, but if we have 2 young goalies who are both outperforming Hank by the end of the season theres little reason to keep him around. A buyout after next season leaves 5.5mil cap eaten the following season, and 1.5 mil the season after that.

Its way more likely one of the anchors on D get bought out, though.

What an unceremonious way to end his career. I get that "it's a business", but just let his contract end normally, let him retire a Ranger, and that'll be that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Don't know where to put it but since it relates to a Russian goalie I put it here - Traktor's goalie Demchenko who had an outstanding season has signed a one year contract extension. Interestingly, it's only for the next season. Could be an indication that he'd want to try to get an NHL deal after 2019-2020.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Better chance of him retiring.. Low-key hoping he retires.. I want him to win a cup but those chances are dwindling.. Maybe as a backup to Shesty/Georgie

Another reason why you dont sign players, long-term, past 35... He's been an all-time Ranger great but he's 37 with 2 years left... Another Sather gem

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Better chance of him retiring.. Low-key hoping he retires.. I want him to win a cup but those chances are dwindling.. Maybe as a backup to Shesty/Georgie

Another reason why you dont sign players, long-term, past 35... He's been an all-time Ranger great but he's 37 with 2 years left... Another Sather gem

I think we had to sign him to that 8 year deal, we knew the tail end of a lot of these contracts were going to suck, and they all lined up perfectly to give us the product we have today (a draft lottery contender)

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

It’s really not bad :dunno:

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think we had to sign him to that 8 year deal, we knew the tail end of a lot of these contracts were going to suck, and they all lined up perfectly to give us the product we have today (a draft lottery contender)
They could have planned it better.

Signing him in 2007 to a 4-5 year deal.. The second deal would have been in 2011 or 2012..

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
What an unceremonious way to end his career. I get that "it's a business", but just let his contract end normally, let him retire a Ranger, and that'll be that.

It's not happening any other way than what you just said, and if he's still playing as well as he did this year overall, he might even be extended on a year to year basis for a big pay cut.

Some people forget that his record is more indicative of the team in front of him this year, not himself. He's had some bad games just like any other goaltender, but all things considered, he's been great this year with an absolute train wreck in front of him.

Shesty still has to prove himself a la Georgiev before the torch is passed, and if the Rangers are in any way competitive as in getting to the playoffs relatively easily, management won't mind giving Hank games to try and win him a cup before he rides off into the sunset.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad