Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This is a nothingburger but what do you guys think we should do about our goalie situation?

Depends for me how long Hank wants to play, I want nothing more than to see him hoist the Stanley cup one day. If he is going to continue playing, hopefully we convince Shestyorkin to start the year in Hartford, Georgiev continues to develop and gets his trade value up, we move Georgiev near the deadline and call up Shestyorkin. Shestyorkin splits duties with Hank for the first couple seasons until he takes over the job, and Hank could be a backup that we can be confident in as well as a great mentor. Or would you guys rather Georgiev be Shestyorkins backup?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What do you mean by "EU clause"?

Otherwise, yes I understand how two-way contracts work and that he could very well make less if he played all year in the AHL.

Some players negotiate an out clause so they can decide to leave the NHL for the season. Kristian Vesalainen used this clause to move to Jokerit this season. After not securing a spot in the starting line-up, he opted to spend the remainder of the season in the KHL.

In this case, the contract is not terminated, but the team does not have to pay the player as long as he is overseas. Once the season is over, the player returns to his NHL team (No contract slides etc apply)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well the post I quoted stated that going to Hartford was the issue... but to answer your question;
yeah people change jobs for opportunities with salary structures like the one you posted often. most of the people I know aren't working in $300k range but the structures are the same.

Should Shestyorkin try and get extra clauses in his contract? Yeah sure, go nuts I guess. But i don't think there's all that much wriggle room in a standard player contract

Financially within the contract, no. 2-way contracts are what they are. But a clause to move back to the KHL for a season is a possible solution

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some players negotiate an out clause so they can decide to leave the NHL for the season. Kristian Vesalainen used this clause to move to Jokerit this season. After not securing a spot in the starting line-up, he opted to spend the remainder of the season in the KHL.

In this case, the contract is not terminated, but the team does not have to pay the player as long as he is overseas. Once the season is over, the player returns to his NHL team (No contract slides etc apply)
Okay, that's a European Assignment Clause.

Changes nothing about my opinion. We give him any type of out, and instead of making decisions about who is on the roster based solely on merit, we're making decisions based on what keeps one guy happy and in North America. Not interested.

He can/will/should do what he thinks is in his best interest. No problems with that. But if I'm the Rangers, I wouldn't go for it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Okay, that's a European Assignment Clause.

Changes nothing about my opinion. We give him any type of out, and instead of making decisions about who is on the roster based solely on merit, we're making decisions based on what keeps one guy happy and in North America. Not interested.

He can/will/should do what he thinks is in his best interest. No problems with that. But if I'm the Rangers, I wouldn't go for it.

Buchnevich had an EAC in his contract. It just gives them more financial security. The assignment is only for the current season where the player opts to use it. This isn't like Bereglazov who terminated his contract and returned to Russia, or Lindqvist going back to Sweden.

The EAC is, as far as I know, explained in CBA article 11.19

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
This is a nothingburger but what do you guys think we should do about our goalie situation?

Depends for me how long Hank wants to play, I want nothing more than to see him hoist the Stanley cup one day. If he is going to continue playing, hopefully we convince Shestyorkin to start the year in Hartford, Georgiev continues to develop and gets his trade value up, we move Georgiev near the deadline and call up Shestyorkin. Shestyorkin splits duties with Hank for the first couple seasons until he takes over the job, and Hank could be a backup that we can be confident in as well as a great mentor. Or would you guys rather Georgiev be Shestyorkins backup?

This sounds about right to me.

It's a bit unfortunate that we never got another full season to develop and evaluate Georgiev, but unless he just flatout outduels Shesty it's difficult to see a scenario where he doesn't either regress or get moved.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Top 3 goalie prospect in the world.

Give him rookie max.

Igor come to NY.

Kravstov next, Rookie Max.

Welcome to camp boys.

Lets not play games with our top prospects while we are rebuilding.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Give him rookie max.

Igor come to NY.

Welcome to camp boys.

It's not about playing games. The max you can give with an ELC is $925k in the NHL and $70k in the AHL. These players will get an EAC and that's about it when it comes to what the Rangers can do

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's not about playing games. The max you can give with an ELC is $925k in the NHL and $70k in the AHL. These players will get an EAC and that's about it when it comes to what the Rangers can do
Give them whatever they want to get them over here. They still have to prove they can play in the NHL.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Give him rookie max.

Igor come to NY.

Welcome to camp boys.

Rookie max means nothing if he's playing in the AHL, but I don't know why the assumption is always that Russian players coming from the KHL won't play in the AHL. Vasilevskiy played 25 games in the AHL and 16 in the NHL in 2014-15. In 2015-16, he played 12 AHL and 24 NHL. I don't see why we can't do something similar with Shesty.

The trick will be finding time for Shesty, Georgiev and Hank in the NHL.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
It’s a little trickier than when Hank came over since his only competition was a vet Kevin Weeks. I can see why Igor wants guaranteed NHL pay/play and thought it would be a no brainer that he is handed the back up spot, provided he doesn’t play himself out of it in pre season. But Georgiev has proven NHL experience and has shown pretty decent growth. You can’t just make him an afterthought.

I’d like to see him come over and outplay everyone. I don’t see how he can be worse than Georgiev at this stage. We’ll see.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Henrik has two years left on his current deal at which time he will be 38. There is almost no chance he's going to win a Stanley Cup for us. Considering where we are as a team I'm actually thinking there's a very good chance we don't offer him another contract. Even if we did re-sign him it would be stupid to give him more than a couple years and I wouldn't give him anywhere near his current salary.

I'm also not convinced that Shestyorkin's going to win the battle with Georgiev. To me that remains to be seen. But there's also a decent chance those two are our goaltending tandem in 21-22.

I also don't know where Henrik's head is at. Next year promises more of the same. How long is he going to want to continue doing this shit? Maybe he accepts going to another team--or maybe even sometime within the next couple years he just gives up.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

It'll be a nothing season again, so why not carry three goalies? :popcorn:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Buchnevich had an EAC in his contract. It just gives them more financial security. The assignment is only for the current season where the player opts to use it. This isn't like Bereglazov who terminated his contract and returned to Russia, or Lindqvist going back to Sweden.

The EAC is, as far as I know, explained in CBA article 11.19
Yeah again I know what it is. I don't like it. The Rangers can give a guy the rookie max and all the bonuses and all that, and that's a sign of good faith. And the player can commit to coming over and winning a spot, or spending some time in the AHL if they're not ready. If the player can't commit to that for two years, well...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Honestly wouldn’t surprise me to see Georgiev traded in the offseason
It's possible, it's just that he probably doesn't have any value. At this point he's an NHL backup with some promise. A guy who had European success and looks like he can be a good goalie here. Go check out Antti Raanta--they have very similar career paths to the point that Georgiev is at currently. And Chicago traded Raanta to us for f***ing Ryan Haggerty. Would you trade Georgiev for a Ryan Haggerty-level prospect? I wouldn't, and that's probably the return.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They should absolutely hold onto Georgiev until Igor is here and has proved himself.

And he should probably stay until another goalie emerges because right now Georgiev is the successor to Hank at the moment with NHL experience. Huska. Lindbom. Someone to be the 2nd goalie / 1-2 punch with Igor taking loadwork. All great teams in the NHL have a solid backup.

Reactions: Kupo and nyr2k2

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Igor Shesterkin, the Russian wunderkind who has become Magnus Hellberg’s backup in the KHL playoffs, is expected to be here next season. Alex Georgiev has done fine through a pair of NHL seasons. It is impossible to know what the rotation will look like next year.

Still, it might be wise not to give Lundqvist 25 of the first 32 starts, as he received this year while carrying the team, or 35 of the first 41 as he got last year while carrying the team. Coach David Quinn could no more resist this time than Alain Vigneault could last time.

“I’ll think about [the workload] after the season and we will talk about it, for sure,” Lundqvist said, referencing postseason talks with coach David Quinn and goaltending coach Benoit Allaire. “But I think it’s more how I allowed the losing to have an impact on my game.”

“It’s the same. I want to make sure I enjoy my last few years,” The King said. “I don’t know how long I have left, but I want to enjoy the rest of the ride.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/22/henrik-lundqvist-admits-rangers-losing-taking-a-toll/

Lundqvist has two more years remaining on his contract. Will he even play beyond this contract? He could pack up the family and move back to Sweden for good.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Henrik has two years left on his current deal at which time he will be 38. There is almost no chance he's going to win a Stanley Cup for us. Considering where we are as a team I'm actually thinking there's a very good chance we don't offer him another contract. Even if we did re-sign him it would be stupid to give him more than a couple years and I wouldn't give him anywhere near his current salary.

I'm also not convinced that Shestyorkin's going to win the battle with Georgiev. To me that remains to be seen. But there's also a decent chance those two are our goaltending tandem in 21-22.

I also don't know where Henrik's head is at. Next year promises more of the same. How long is he going to want to continue doing this ****? Maybe he accepts going to another team--or maybe even sometime within the next couple years he just gives up.

Hank will be 39.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Rookie max means nothing if he's playing in the AHL, but I don't know why the assumption is always that Russian players coming from the KHL won't play in the AHL. Vasilevskiy played 25 games in the AHL and 16 in the NHL in 2014-15. In 2015-16, he played 12 AHL and 24 NHL. I don't see why we can't do something similar with Shesty.

The trick will be finding time for Shesty, Georgiev and Hank in the NHL.

It's the same mythical belief that all Russians are lazy hockey players. Most Russians WANT to come to the NHL. The difference is that unlike other countries, if they don't end up becoming NHL regulars, they have a pretty decent backup plan. Guys who are lesser prospects often end up heading back once they realize they likely won't hack it in the NHL. Then you have the marquee name like Kovalchuk who just ingrained this shit into people's brains and there's no looking back.

They should absolutely hold onto Georgiev until Igor is here and has proved himself.

And he should probably stay until another goalie emerges because right now Georgiev is the successor to Hank at the moment with NHL experience. Huska. Lindbom. Someone to be the 2nd goalie / 1-2 punch with Igor taking loadwork. All great teams in the NHL have a solid backup.

I have a really hard time anointing Georgiev as Hank's successor. He's looked good in some games this year but hasn't handled anywhere near to a full load yet and hardly appears to be a sure thing. There's promise but I still don't think of him as ahead of Shesty. I do agree with your overall blueprint for keeping him, however.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hank will be 39.

38 or 39 or whatever--I'm still pretty doubtful about giving him another contract. He's still a very good goaltender but he's not an elite goaltender anymore. Two more years backstopping the current team (and the kids coming along in the meanwhile) aren't likely to give him another wind and we have Georgiev and Shestyorkin--much younger goalies and the idea should be to turn it over to them at least if we're serious about our youth movement.

Henrik is not winning a Stanley Cup for us--or at least not as a player and sentimentality is no way to run an NHL hockey team. The writing is on the wall for him as a hockey player--Hall of Famer--yes. Stanley Cup winner-no. We're going to need to move on from him when his time is up.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'd resign Hank to back up Shesty, or send him where he wants to go if he desires to leave. But resigning him isn't going to be a past performance rate. Prob. 1-1.5 mil tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad