2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IV ** Isles-Keep 5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Fabbri with 3 assists and a +4 in Guelph's clincher last night. He won the OHL's tournament MVP.

Really hope Griff and Edmonton move on. I want you guys to see just how good this dude is.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Fabbri with 3 assists and a +4 in Guelph's clincher last night. He won the OHL's tournament MVP.

Really hope Griff and Edmonton move on. I want you guys to see just how good this dude is.

I've been watching fabbri play for two seasons now. he has never played as good as he is right now. tireless worker, good skills. not sure how much of his heart and grit translate at the NHL level given his size 160 lbs? I know he's listed there, but I have my doubts that he's even that much.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I've been watching fabbri play for two seasons now. he has never played as good as he is right now. tireless worker, good skills. not sure how much of his heart and grit translate at the NHL level given his size 160 lbs? I know he's listed there, but I have my doubts that he's even that much.

He looks like he's filled out a little bit. Either way, he's the type of kid who will get 2-3 years of development if we take him. By that point he could be closer to a young Parise build.

I just love his combo of offensive upside + work ethic. He fits what we are trying to build here, IMO. I've been in favor of a trade down with ANA to grab him, but honestly by the time the draft rolls around, his stock will probably be too high for a move like that.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Just thinking about potential goalies in the draft. Ville Husso is the top rated goalie in Europe and has came on leaps and bounds. Would it be a good option to draft Husso with the Montreal pick and send him to Bridgeport for big minutes as a 19 year old?

He has already played a full pro season for HIFK and looked really really good this year. So he could make the jump potentially. Or would you leave him in Finland with the new CBA agreement we would hold his rights for 4 years so no rush.

Just thought it could be an interesting option to talk about in regards drafting a goalie.

Nikolai Koolaidman

Mar 7, 2014
Just thinking about potential goalies in the draft. Ville Husso is the top rated goalie in Europe and has came on leaps and bounds. Would it be a good option to draft Husso with the Montreal pick and send him to Bridgeport for big minutes as a 19 year old?

He has already played a full pro season for HIFK and looked really really good this year. So he could make the jump potentially. Or would you leave him in Finland with the new CBA agreement we would hold his rights for 4 years so no rush.

Just thought it could be an interesting option to talk about in regards drafting a goalie.

With our 4 2nd-3rd round picks I would like 2 of them to be goalies. We need high quality goalie prospects because the ones we drafted last year have been doing really suckish. If we walked out of the Draft with Micheal Dal Colle, Thatcher Demko, Jayce Hawryluk, Ville Husso or Kaapo kähkönen. I would be the happiest islanders fan for awhile.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

If possible, I'd be in favor of a trade down with Anaheim, giving them the 5th and maybe a mid-rounder next year for the 10th and 28th(TBD).

Depends if they are willing(they might be since their system is deep - could just use an elite level C or D, the former of which they could potentially get at 5). If they are though, we could take Fabbri at 10(who has potential to be one of the top forwards from this draft) and Demko at 28*. Follow it up by going best available forwards in the 2nd(guys like Pollock, De Leo and Qunneville), then take Husso at 65 and maybe the best available D with Philly's 3rd.

I know most people want to keep the 5th and maybe trade up from 35 for the top goalie, but IMO this would be the best way to get a potentially elite forward while adding a lot more depth up front and between the pipes.

Considering we won't have our top-2 picks next year, and might not get our first prospect until the end of the 2nd, I don't think this would be the worst route to take.

I guess it just depends on how you guys feel about Fabbri, or any of the other forwards expected to go in that 10 range(Virtanen, Perlini, maybe Nylander).

scott99

May 13, 2005

I would love that, especially IF he's better than any remaining goalie (NA and Euro). I would love to draft at least 2 goalies, one in round 2 and one in round 3 for sure, since we have multiple picks in each round.

scott99

May 13, 2005
With our 4 2nd-3rd round picks I would like 2 of them to be goalies. We need high quality goalie prospects because the ones we drafted last year have been doing really suckish. If we walked out of the Draft with Micheal Dal Colle, Thatcher Demko, Jayce Hawryluk, Ville Husso or Kaapo kähkönen. I would be the happiest islanders fan for awhile.

I don't think we get Demko unless we move up. I rather stay where we are, UNLESS Snow really loves Demko.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I don't think we get Demko unless we move up. I rather stay where we are, UNLESS Snow really loves Demko.

Agreed.

I think the Isles get Dal Colle with the 5th, target Mason McDonald and Hunter Smith in the 2nd round, and in the third I'd be looking at whomever is leftover out of Johansson, Moran, and Soderstrom. Ryan Donato and Matt Mistele are worth a look as well.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I feel a lot of people here feel there is no chance Demko slips past the first round which I believe is very possible. Goalies are a crapshoot and everyone knows it. I remember last year Fucale was projected to go mid-late 1st round (some even wanted us to draft him at #15) and he slipped to #34 if I remember correctly. I'd say there is a good chance he falls to #35 and I could see him go further. I'd still rather use our high 2nd on a Connor Bleakley or Brett Pollock instead of a goalie and use the Montreal 2nd on whoever is left from Demko / Nedeljkovic if the Snow believes these guy will be legitimate starters in the NHL

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I would love that, especially IF he's better than any remaining goalie (NA and Euro). I would love to draft at least 2 goalies, one in round 2 and one in round 3 for sure, since we have multiple picks in each round.

Just for some context to Husso, went undrafted last year while playing 2nd fiddle to the quality Saros for Finland. After last season not many anticipated the improvement in Husso. He started as one of the back ups for HIFK in SM Liiga so spent 6 games at HCK in the Finnish 2nd division but then went on to become the starter for HIFK.

Once becoming the starter he has continued to improve and look good. But as a note of caution I have no clue if Husso is capable of continued improvement. Has he reached his level and is good in Europe? Would he get better with age and playing a higher standard?

I''m always cautious of goalie drafted with high picks, especially the 1st two rounds. I'd much rather draft goalies with mid-late picks but that's just my personal preference.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I feel a lot of people here feel there is no chance Demko slips past the first round which I believe is very possible. Goalies are a crapshoot and everyone knows it. I remember last year Fucale was projected to go mid-late 1st round (some even wanted us to draft him at #15) and he slipped to #34 if I remember correctly. I'd say there is a good chance he falls to #35 and I could see him go further. I'd still rather use our high 2nd on a Connor Bleakley or Brett Pollock instead of a goalie and use the Montreal 2nd on whoever is left from Demko / Nedeljkovic if the Snow believes these guy will be legitimate starters in the NHL

I think the difference between last year and this year is last year's draft had more depth so when teams drafted given the choice of a goalie or quality forward/defenseman they went with the non goalie. In this draft I think teams might be more willing to pick a goalie late in the first if they don't like what is left in other positions

scott99

May 13, 2005

Don't forget, the 2013 Draft was much deeper, that's why Fucale fell.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I think most people feel there is a chance, but we also know that, assuming the Isles really like him, counting on him to fall to 35 would be a pretty big risk.

One of the best parts about stockpiling draft picks is that you can use them as chips to move up and get the guy/s you really want. With two 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths, they should absolutely move up to the late 1st for Demko if they seem him as a potential franchise guy. Standing pat would be a risk. Again though, it all comes down to how highly they value him.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I think most people feel there is a chance, but we also know that, assuming the Isles really like him, counting on him to fall to 35 would be a pretty big risk.

One of the best parts about stockpiling draft picks is that you can use them as chips to move up and get the guy/s you really want. With two 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths, they should absolutely move up to the late 1st for Demko if they seem him as a potential franchise guy. Standing pat would be a risk. Again though, it all comes down to how highly they value him.

A bit off topic but I would love to somehow see the Islanders draft board prior to the draft then sit back and watch the front office make moves accordingly. I'd love to know who they think is a stud, if a player starts to fall they have say top 15, do they go get that guy, do they rate say a different goalie than Demko as number 1 etc

Would be absolutely fascinating, maybe that's just me

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
A bit off topic but I would love to somehow see the Islanders draft board prior to the draft then sit back and watch the front office make moves accordingly. I'd love to know who they think is a stud, if a player starts to fall they have say top 15, do they go get that guy, do they rate say a different goalie than Demko as number 1 etc

Would be absolutely fascinating, maybe that's just me

It would be pretty fascinating. This way when they say "this is the guy we wanted all along", we'll know if they really mean it.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Just pull up the Waterloo roster, click on team leaders , and you have your isles draft board.
Or just meet Garth at Chipotle on a Friday. After 2 burritos he gets food drunk and starts babbling
About who he likes.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Just pull up the Waterloo roster, click on team leaders , and you have your isles draft board.
Or just meet Garth at Chipotle on a Friday. After 2 burritos he gets food drunk and starts babbling
About who he likes.

I hear he likes 5'5" wingers or centers with no speed or 6'6" dmen with no talent or who can't fight.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I hear he likes 5'5" wingers or centers with no speed or 6'6" dmen with no talent or who can't fight.

I think you guys have a legitimate argument with the goalies(both McAdam and Williams were awful this year, from what I've heard), but Cammarata is a solid prospect. Even Leduc(who I'm assuming is who you are referring to) has increased his stock since draft day. Chances are he never amounts to much more than a depth D, but the potential for more is there, which IMO made him worth the 4th(?) round pick.

Garth has made some bad picks but I'm fine with those two. The goaltenders are a different story though. Crazy that a former goalie has not been able to develop so much as a serviceable backup. Poulin, Nilsson, Koskinen(still has upside, just needs to get back to North America), Rosen(...), McAdam and Williams. Terrible.

Demko and Husso would go a long way towards changing that.

Nikolai Koolaidman

Mar 7, 2014
About who he likes.
So we are drafting this year Brandon Montour, Mark Friedman, Tyler Sheehy, Cooper Watson. You heard it here first.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
I dont love this year's draft. Any chance we can still turn the pick over to Buffalo at this point? Or has that deadline come and gone?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm really hoping the playoffs convince NHL GMs that size matters most on draft day, and maybe Reinhart or Bennett drop to #5.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If possible, I'd be in favor of a trade down with Anaheim, giving them the 5th and maybe a mid-rounder next year for the 10th and 28th(TBD).

Depends if they are willing(they might be since their system is deep - could just use an elite level C or D, the former of which they could potentially get at 5). If they are though, we could take Fabbri at 10(who has potential to be one of the top forwards from this draft) and Demko at 28*. Follow it up by going best available forwards in the 2nd(guys like Pollock, De Leo and Qunneville), then take Husso at 65 and maybe the best available D with Philly's 3rd.

I know most people want to keep the 5th and maybe trade up from 35 for the top goalie, but IMO this would be the best way to get a potentially elite forward while adding a lot more depth up front and between the pipes.

Considering we won't have our top-2 picks next year, and might not get our first prospect until the end of the 2nd, I don't think this would be the worst route to take.

I guess it just depends on how you guys feel about Fabbri, or any of the other forwards expected to go in that 10 range(Virtanen, Perlini, maybe Nylander).

Perlini or Virtanen, not Fabbri, preferably Perlini.

SIZE, SIZE, SIZE

I'd rather pick up Theodore than their 28th.

Then take 2 goalies in the second

That's a good draft day for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad