2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IV ** Isles-Keep 5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I've seen Draisaitl internationally a lot in recent years. Just witnessed Perlini a good bit at the U18.

Each have things to like, and Perlini's skillset is better than expected, but I really don't get the feeling that he's in the same class as Draisaitl from a talent standpoint. Different games, but when I think of the two, I just see Draisaitl's upside as being so much higher.

I could be wrong...

LotteryForLife*

We need to trade up and draft Sam Bennett. This kid will be the most valuable player in this draft in terms of what he will bring to the team that takes him

LotteryForLife*

I've seen Draisaitl internationally a lot in recent years. Just witnessed Perlini a good bit at the U18.

Each have things to like, and Perlini's skillset is better than expected, but I really don't get the feeling that he's in the same class as Draisaitl from a talent standpoint. Different games, but when I think of the two, I just see Draisaitl's upside as being so much higher.

I could be wrong...

Draisaitl could be the next Ryan Getzlaf or Jason Spezza. Perlini is probably Erik Cole at best

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
We need to trade up and draft Sam Bennett. This kid will be the most valuable player in this draft in terms of what he will bring to the team that takes him

How high do you think we'd have to trade up to get Bennett?

Personally, I think he or Reinhart will fall to 4th overall but I think the Flames would swap position with us. My favourite player in the draft is Bennett.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Personally, I think he or Reinhart will fall to 4th overall but I think the Flames would swap position with us. My favourite player in the draft is Bennett.

If Bennett is our guy, we'll have a golden opportunity to grab him. The biggest factor will be how Calgary values Draisaitl. If they are not high on him, Edmonton could swap picks with us for our 35th overall(which would replace their high 2nd, which went to STL).

We get Bennett - Calgary gets Dal Colle - and Edmonton gets the guy they wanted all along: Draisaitl.

Again, all comes down to Calgary, IMO.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

I'm here too, in spite of all the MDC and Ritchie talk. But I doubt either is around at four, let alone five...there is wiggle room between these players- the entire top five I mean- but one thing is clear...

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett
MDC/LD
Ritchie/Ehlers
Virtanen/Nylander*

*okay so I ended up adding details...sue me haha

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm here too, in spite of all the MDC and Ritchie talk. But I doubt either is around at four, let alone five...there is wiggle room between these players- the entire top five I mean- but one thing is clear...

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett
MDC/LD
Ritchie/Ehlers
Virtanen/Nylander*

*okay so I ended up adding details...sue me haha

Add Fabbri to that group. His stock is rising faster than any kid in this draft.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Add Fabbri to that group. His stock is rising faster than any kid in this draft.

I checked out after falling for Bennett and realizing he'd be gone by 5.

I have settled on MDC because there's a chance he'll be there at 5.

And I stopped worrying when I discovered Ritchie.

We're going to get a beaut at 5, and this is absolutely the right move by Snow.

This team grabs a stud at 5, then enjoys a nice bounce-back season and trip to the playoffs.

Book it witches.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There are a few. I posted in the previous thread but it's locked now:

Edmonton:
Pollock, C(RD2)
Mayo, D(RD3-4)

Portland:
De Leo, C(RD2)
Iverson, RW(RD3-4)
Turgeon, C(RD5-7)

Went to the Edmonton/Portland game last night. Edmonton won 2-0 tie tie the best of seven WHL finals at two each.

Of these players, the only one I could not see being a good choice at the rounds indicated is De Leo. He has talent and can skate. He's feisty and chippy, which may not go over too well in the NHL due to his small size. May not be good enough to play top six and not big enough to play bottom six.

Iverson and Turgeon did not play a great deal, especially in the last two periods. They were a third line with Turgeon at center and Iverson at LW. Iverson has size and speed, and could be a bottom six power forward. Turgeon has more size than his dad, and is able to handle himself in the rough WHL. Does not have the offensive statistics, but that could come next year with increased responsibilities.

Mayo is interesting. He is a Vancouver Island product that seems to be developing fast. This occurs often for players from the west coast because they don't get the early development as kids from the Prairies. Skating and shot are pretty good, and he is cool when handling the puck. May be one to consider if available in round four.

Pollock played a strong game. Being a former defenseman, he is strong on his skates, and his offense is obviously progressing. Made a great pass to Lazar for the second goal. If not taken at pick 35, may not be available with the Montreal pick. I am a convert.

Best players, I thought, were Reinhart, Lazar, Pouliot, and Petan. I think all four could be in the NHL at some point next year. Petan is small but has incredible skill at stickhandling while skating fast, and stopping and turning on a dime. Both goalies, Jarry and Boes, played very well.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hockey and football are my favorites, I watch the wholle NFL draft though I really don't know the players.

I really enjoyed last night's Edmonton/Portland game, thanks. Concerning the drafts, more and more Canadian kids are being drafted in basketball and baseball.

Here are some Canadian kids the Jets and Giants (why are they both playing in New Jersey?) may be interested in for the later rounds:

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OG McGill University Montreal (home town)
Brent Urban DT University of Virginia Mississauga
T.J. Jones WR Notre Dame Winnipeg
John Urschel OL Penn State Winnipeg
Bo Lokombo LB Oregon Abbotsford

Enjoy the NFL Draft everyone.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Went to the Edmonton/Portland game last night. Edmonton won 2-0 tie tie the best of seven WHL finals at two each.

Of these players, the only one I could not see being a good choice at the rounds indicated is De Leo. He has talent and can skate. He's feisty and chippy, which may not go over too well in the NHL due to his small size. May not be good enough to play top six and not big enough to play bottom six.

Iverson and Turgeon did not play a great deal, especially in the last two periods. They were a third line with Turgeon at center and Iverson at LW. Iverson has size and speed, and could be a bottom six power forward. Turgeon has more size than his dad, and is able to handle himself in the rough WHL. Does not have the offensive statistics, but that could come next year with increased responsibilities.

Mayo is interesting. He is a Vancouver Island product that seems to be developing fast. This occurs often for players from the west coast because they don't get the early development as kids from the Prairies. Skating and shot are pretty good, and he is cool when handling the puck. May be one to consider if available in round four.

Pollock played a strong game. Being a former defenseman, he is strong on his skates, and his offense is obviously progressing. Made a great pass to Lazar for the second goal. If not taken at pick 35, may not be available with the Montreal pick. I am a convert.

Best players, I thought, were Reinhart, Lazar, Pouliot, and Petan. I think all four could be in the NHL at some point next year. Petan is small but has incredible skill at stickhandling while skating fast, and stopping and turning on a dime. Both goalies, Jarry and Boes, played very well.

Hope you enjoyed the game. Agree that Pollock has come along so well, won't be around with the Montreal pick. Sounds about right with Mayo, late third, fourth round pick.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

interesting how they tout Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl as "having the potential to become elite two-way pivots". no mention of MDC...

granted, we have our elite C (needs to hone his defensive game a bit, but i think he will), or maybe Nelson turns into one. i think Strome has the smarts to become, but Nelson has the advantage in speed and size.

but hey, with MDC, Strome, Nelson, JT as candidates, i am confident that at least 1 of them will step up. if not 2. or 3... :D

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hope you enjoyed the game. Agree that Pollock has come along so well, won't be around with the Montreal pick. Sounds about right with Mayo, late third, fourth round pick.

Thanks. Enjoyed the game very much. Second row near the blue line, so I was only a few feet from Reinhart at times.

Two other possible late round considerations from the Oil Kings:
1) Aaron Irving- Defense. Coach Laxdall had him out late in the game, protecting the lead. (I know we aren't likely to take many defensemen).
2) Alec Dillon- Goalie. Will play for the Oil Kings next year. Put up good numbers in the BCHL for Victoria. May be worth a try in the seventh round. Tall.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I checked out after falling for Bennett and realizing he'd be gone by 5.

I have settled on MDC because there's a chance he'll be there at 5.

And I stopped worrying when I discovered Ritchie.

We're going to get a beaut at 5, and this is absolutely the right move by Snow.

This team grabs a stud at 5, then enjoys a nice bounce-back season and trip to the playoffs.

Book it witches.

Spot on !!! :handclap: We all have our favorites on the wishlist and as long as Garth doesn't lose his mind, we are going to be getting one hell of a player. With Halak (hopefully) coming in, and maybe Wangster opens the wallet more for one solid veteran defenseman, we should be far away from any discussion about McDavid/Eichel etc.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

It's funny that people are now seeing Kopitar and Getzlaf in the playoffs and suddenly Draisaitl is looking more appealing (talking about people in general, including the draft "experts" and even GMs - not you).

With Western Conference teams at #3 and 4 ahead of us, and guys like Draisaitl, Ritchie and MDC on the board, it's seeming more possible that Bennett or Reinhart could drop to #5.

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Have a look at Ryan Kennedy's top 30 player in the draft, interesting who he sees as the best player in the draft: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ryan-kennedys-top-30-prospects-for-the-2014-draft/

If the top 4 goes Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-MDC in some order, you have to take Draisaitl. Worry about which of Strome/Nelson/Nielsen/Draisaitl switches to wing when it becomes an issue: and then if someone gets hurt like JT did this season, move them back to center.

Personally I don't think he falls to us, but if he's there, you gotta take him.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
If the top 4 goes Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-MDC in some order, you have to take Draisaitl. Worry about which of Strome/Nelson/Nielsen/Draisaitl switches to wing when it becomes an issue: and then if someone gets hurt like JT did this season, move them back to center.

Personally I don't think he falls to us, but if he's there, you gotta take him.

I think it's also the case of not much separating the top five...and the fact that big Leon has the boom or bust quality about him...we've seen Ekblad and Reinhart ranked first mostly, Bennett and Leon some too...

Keep in mind this latest list is like the ones Bob MacKenzie puts together- it was based on what scouts had to say.

Bottom line is we're getting a stud at five...and picking in that spot, we're likely to see this pick play sooner than later- Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Leon, and Ritchie have all been said to be possibly ready by this fall, or by 2015 at the latest (MDC I'm looking at you). All of these players possess either the necessary size, grit, or composure to jumpquickly to the pros.

This draft class doesn't have the high end glitter, but it isn't as bad as some make it out. And I don't believe for a minute that whomever we land at five will see his career overshadowed by someone drafted between 10-15 in 2015.

This should be the last early pick for a good long while...and a key piece to add to our already impressive young core that will challenge for the cup...

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
It's funny that people are now seeing Kopitar and Getzlaf in the playoffs and suddenly Draisaitl is looking more appealing (talking about people in general, including the draft "experts" and even GMs - not you).

With Western Conference teams at #3 and 4 ahead of us, and guys like Draisaitl, Ritchie and MDC on the board, it's seeming more possible that Bennett or Reinhart could drop to #5.

True, funny that struck me as what was happening. You look at Edmonton's recent drafts and although, IMHO, they are true elite forwards, I started to read, again in Canadian circles, that they are small and that their size suddenly is an issue playing in the Western Conference. As everyone has mentioned, this draft will give the Isles an elite prospect, and unless they go off the board, a big forward that will help the forward corps get bigger; which IMHO is where the Isles are going. You can see it with the defense prospects Snow has gathered; they see a need to get bigger and drafted that way.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
They had Draisaitl #1 also in their future watch issue

And for the draft preview, he's number 4. here's the top 10 (according to the Hockey News) :

1- Bennett
2- Ekblad
3- Reinhart
4- Draisaitl
5- Dal Colle
6- Nylander
7- Ehlers
8- Fleury
9- Ritchie
10- Kapanen

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
If I'm not mistaken, I think the Isles have 3 weeks left to sign Pokka. I hope it gets done. Anyone has any news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad