2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
And, while I am not giving Edmonton Reinhart, it would be tempting to see if a deal could be worked out to get their first for a package built around Pulock and some picks (not the Isles first obviously). With Hamonic, de Haan, Hickey and Reinhart ready for next year (that is probably four of the top-6 spots with Viz and hopefully a reliable free agent vet rounding out the top-6 and Strait potentially the seventh, reserve defenseman) plus Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield, Czuczman, etc. in the pipeline; Pulock could be an interesting trade chip for an Edmonton team in need of a young defender with an extra year of development.

With a top-3 pick, the Isles land one of the big three and then have the 5th/6th to add another top forward and thoroughly restock the forward pipeline or slide back in the draft, get a solid prospect and maybe add a 2015 first to cover next year. Just a thought.

I'd rather wait until the Islanders' defense stops being a liability before we're ready to sell off assets like Pulock.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'd rather wait until the Islanders' defense stops being a liability before we're ready to sell off assets like Pulock.

As I noted in my initial post, it would be contingent on the Islanders signing a reliable, veteran defenseman to pair with Viz and the youngsters. I would be worried if the Isles had both Reinhart and Pulock playing top minutes next year. I assume Reinhart will be here but Pulock probably needs a little more time, at least in the AHL, and it would also depend on how the Isles view Pokka. If they prefer him to Pulock, there are only so many NHL roster spots to go around. That said, I am happy to keep Pulock in the fold, just suggesting a way to potentially get into the top-3 and/or trade back and add more picks this year or get into the first round in 2015.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Defer this year's pick to buffalo. We have 2 2nds 2 3rds and 3 4ths I believe. Let's make some moves and get a defensemen and goalie. That way garth makes up for his losses for 2 proven players that can help us NOW, so the last season at the coliseum is a competitive one.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Defer this year's pick to buffalo. We have 2 2nds 2 3rds and 3 4ths I believe. Let's make some moves and get a defensemen and goalie. That way garth makes up for his losses for 2 proven players that can help us NOW, so the last season at the coliseum is a competitive one.

I'd rather have this years. It's a year extra in development for the 1st round pick. Also I can't see this team being as bad next year. Full years of Strome and Lee plus Nelson's second season. Also a full year of De Haan as well as Churchman(I have no idea how you spell it) looking like he could be a player.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Barring we keep the pick, we'll just take whoever's left on the board.

If Ekblad is on the board, I could see the Isles trading the pick in a package for a really good defenseman. The deal would be similar to the Jordan Staal/Cory Schneider deals where the team receiving the pick is targeting a specific player is which this case it would be Ekblad.

Giordano, Subban?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Barring we keep the pick, we'll just take whoever's left on the board.

If Ekblad is on the board, I could see the Isles trading the pick in a package for a really good defenseman. The deal would be similar to the Jordan Staal/Cory Schneider deals where the team receiving the pick is targeting a specific player is which this case it would be Ekblad.

Giordano, Subban?

If by god's will Ekblad is still on the board they better take him and not do anything that they consider the smart move(because it never is).

That would mean the past three years they walked away in the first with Reinhart/Pulock/Ekblad. I'm sorry but I would want that anchoring my blue line for the next ten years. It would make life being an Isles fan much much easier.

PZA*

I know 90% that is Draisaitl falls to the Flames at number 4, he won't be picked as Burke stated he isn't a fan of his, but you never know.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If by god's will Ekblad is still on the board they better take him and not do anything that they consider the smart move(because it never is).

That would mean the past three years they walked away in the first with Reinhart/Pulock/Ekblad. I'm sorry but I would want that anchoring my blue line for the next ten years. It would make life being an Isles fan much much easier.

So you don't think a package headlined by Ekblad for Subban would be a smart move?

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
If we have the 5th pick in the draft, it's highly likely to be Dal Colle or Draisaitl available to select and we move on into the sunset. But if we pick 6th overall I just can't see Snow taking Ehlers, who is one of, if not my personal favorite player in the draft. Like I said before, I worry about Snow picking one of the 2nd tier of guys who don't have anywhere near the ceiling of the top 5 plus Ehlers.

If we did end up with the 6th overall pick, would anyone be willing to trade it for a stud prospect borderline NHL goalie?

Say John Gibson or Andrey Vasilevskiy?

Both of those guys are seen as the two best goalie prospects in the world and are on teams with top goalies ahead of them so potentially they could be had for a high price. Andrey Vasilevskiy has Bishop, a young goalie ahead of him while Gibson has Hiller and Anderson ahead of him.

Vasilevskiy is playing regularly in the KHL now and even though he is Russian, he is desperate to play in the NHL, he even wears a Tampa Bay goalie mask over there so that isn't an issue.

Maybe neither team is willing to move those two prospects even for the 6th pick. So we could go after Anderson from the Ducks instead but given that the 6th pick has big value, you would have to get something else back from the Ducks as well. Maybe the 6th pick plus Bailey to the Ducks for Anderson and Silfverberg. Bailey is only a year older than Silfverberg also from the Ducks point of view.

6th and Bailey for Anderson and Silfverberg, would you do it?

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
So you don't think a package headlined by Ekblad for Subban would be a smart move?

There is no chance Ekblad falls outside of the top 3 and personally if he did fall to us (he won't) I'd draft him and keep him rather than pay a huge amount of assets for what it would take to get Montreal to deal Subban, then have to pay him $7m+ a year for 7 years.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Hope the Isles have the sense (that is asking too much) to send JT to represent them at the lottery. If anyone can get all the evil vibrations out of the studio it's JT.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hope the Isles have the sense (that is asking too much) to send JT to represent them at the lottery. If anyone can get all the evil vibrations out of the studio it's JT.

That would be awesome Rex, but I think as always, The Man Formerly Known as The Wolfman, Ken Morrow, will be there as usual.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Can the Isles leave the choice up till last minute or do they need to give it up right after the lottery?

We all know Edmonton will win the lottery this year :cool:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Can the Isles leave the choice up till last minute or do they need to give it up right after the lottery?

We all know Edmonton will win the lottery this year :cool:

They have till June 1 to make the choice

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
That would be awesome Rex, but I think as always, The Man Formerly Known as The Wolfman, Ken Morrow, will be there as usual.

You know what's going to happen. Morrow will be there,host James Duthie will introduce Morrow and say, "We missed you last year Ken, great to have you back in your usual seat."
:cry:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If we have the 5th pick in the draft, it's highly likely to be Dal Colle or Draisaitl available to select and we move on into the sunset. But if we pick 6th overall I just can't see Snow taking Ehlers, who is one of, if not my personal favorite player in the draft. Like I said before, I worry about Snow picking one of the 2nd tier of guys who don't have anywhere near the ceiling of the top 5 plus Ehlers.

If we did end up with the 6th overall pick, would anyone be willing to trade it for a stud prospect borderline NHL goalie?

Say John Gibson or Andrey Vasilevskiy?

Both of those guys are seen as the two best goalie prospects in the world and are on teams with top goalies ahead of them so potentially they could be had for a high price. Andrey Vasilevskiy has Bishop, a young goalie ahead of him while Gibson has Hiller and Anderson ahead of him.

Vasilevskiy is playing regularly in the KHL now and even though he is Russian, he is desperate to play in the NHL, he even wears a Tampa Bay goalie mask over there so that isn't an issue.

Maybe neither team is willing to move those two prospects even for the 6th pick. So we could go after Anderson from the Ducks instead but given that the 6th pick has big value, you would have to get something else back from the Ducks as well. Maybe the 6th pick plus Bailey to the Ducks for Anderson and Silfverberg. Bailey is only a year older than Silfverberg also from the Ducks point of view.

6th and Bailey for Anderson and Silfverberg, would you do it?

I've been dreaming of a scenario where we could trade our pick for one of those guys(specifically Gibson, who is closer to NHL ready), but IMO it would require a lottery win. Don't see the incentive for either of those teams to deal their prized goaltender for anything short of an elite prospect. Especially an elite RHD prospect, which might be the biggest need for both teams.

Unless we win the lotto or Ekblad somehow drops to 5th, I don't see either team having any interest.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
You know this how?

Where are we picking this year?

We aren't signing any free agents this summer?

Our team isn't going to improve? Okposo and Frans are going to regress? Nelson and Lee are going to regress? Grabner?

Hamonic, the Viz, Strait, and de Haan are all going to get injured and miss serious amounts of time again?

Cizikas, Martin and the other foot soldiers haven't learned from this disaster of a season?

It's not just me thinking they will be better next year, go ask Bob Mackenzie, who always informs his opinion from scouts and people AROUND THE LEAGUE.

Your doomsday prognostications are getting old, and silly at this point. The team will be back on track next year, or my name isn't Kirill Petrov.

I've been waiting for someone to offer up some sound reasons for thinking the team will be so god-awful next season, but no one has. They finished much stronger than they started (minus some key elements), the kids seem to be getting better, and the Isles could possibly make some off-season moves to improve the team further - even if just slightly. And passing on MDC because you can get equal value at #10 to #15 in next years draft? Really? :shakehead

** Although, if they do wind up picking 6th, and MDC is gone along with the others, knowing they won't roll the dice on Ehlers, I could give a rat's @ss what they do.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I've been waiting for someone to offer up some sound reasons for thinking the team will be so god-awful next season, but no one has. They finished much stronger than they started (minus some key elements), the kids seem to be getting better, and the Isles could possibly make some off-season moves to improve the team further - even if just slightly. And passing on MDC because you can get equal value at #10 to #15 in next years draft? Really? :shakehead

I don't think they will be god awful next season but a repeat of this season is possible(ie finishing 4th/5th last).

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

** Although, if they do wind up picking 6th, and MDC is gone along with the others, knowing they won't roll the dice on Ehlers, I could give a rat's @ss what they do.

Here's a good reason, Jack Capuano. A coach who has been horrible for years, achieved next to nothing and still is immoveable going by the news today.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I wouldn't say likely, but possible yes. Likely to me would be a 5-10 point increase which most likely means no playoffs but drafting in the 8-14 range

Be careful, boredmale. Apparently saying that another bottom-5 pick is possible means you are a 'doomsday prognosticator'.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If noone overtakes the Islanders by the lottery I can honestly see:

1. Buffalo: Sam Reinhart
2. Florida: Aaron Ekblad
3. Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl

At 4, Calgary makes a pick between Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle or someone that I see as an off the board pick but a pure Burke pick in Nick Ritchie.

Either way at #5, the Islanders and assured one of Bennett or Dal Colle.:yo:

Might be unlikely, but a plausible scenario. Ritchie would definitely be a Burke possibility.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI

They might not be god awful next ear, but look at the teams in the top 5 of the draft this year, other then buffalo and maybe Edmonton they are trending upward. florida finally has a goalie, calgary has some young talent as well. So with that they are all improving, we aren't improving in the most 2 important positions- goalie and defensemen plus we won't have a new coach next year. Most of the teams will get better via FA but we probably won't due to ownership. So we might be at the bottom again next year. They way I see it, Wang didn't want to spend $$ on good players to make the team relevant to keep them here on LI. What makes him want to spend now all of a sudden? Chances are he will keep payroll at the floor again even if the floor is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad