2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I for one would be shocked if you guys gave us a top 4 pick, next year would be awesome for us too, in a deep draft! I'm glad you guys got Collberg instead of losing Vanek for nothing

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I for one would be shocked if you guys gave us a top 4 pick, next year would be awesome for us too, in a deep draft! I'm glad you guys got Collberg instead of losing Vanek for nothing

A week after we got him he tore up his shoulder.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sabres fan coming in piece, just wanted to see if you guys think the pick will be deferred to next year or transferred to us this year?

No shot in h.e double hockey sticks (see what I did there ?). Seriously, I know we have a moron for a GM, but I don't think he's 100% brain dead. And that's what it would take to give up a top 6 draft pick for nothing. He may trade it for a veteran player though, would not be shocked by that.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
What does Calgary need? Who might they be targeting? I'm wondering who will be left at # 5 among: Draisaitl, MDC and Ehlers? I think if Draisaitl is there at #5 they gotta take him. He's not exactly small - and you can't ignore the upside. Can you?

Destiny

Apr 9, 2011
What does Calgary need? Who might they be targeting? I'm wondering who will be left at # 5 among: Draisaitl, MDC and Ehlers? I think if Draisaitl is there at #5 they gotta take him. He's not exactly small - and you can't ignore the upside. Can you?
One of Leon/MDC will be there, and I would assume you take whichever is left.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Still only 19 and will be an incredible talent when he makes it in the next 2 years

By all descriptions he is a long shot, and struggles to earn ice time. Even if it is a situation like Petrov's where they prefer playing the older vets because of some flawed deference to older men with less talent, it still means no ice time. No ice time is no ice time. It will hurt his development. We got screwed in the entire deal, and especially so by Vanek telling everyone who would listen that we suck and aren't worth the time of day for any UFA.

And for the record no one in here knows what Garth will do with the pick as he plays his cards so close even the cards don't know. However, based on the way his ego drives much of his decision making he will keep this year's pick even if we picked 10th because deferring the pick under any condition this year would mean he admits his club sucks ahead of time next year. His ego would never allow that to happen.

scott99

May 13, 2005
With our luck we'll end up picking 6th and instead of selecting Ehlers Snow will select someone like Fleury

Wouldn't surprise me. To be honest, I think he keeps the 2014 1st rounder, but trades it for a veteran player. Which scares the **** outta me because Snow is so HORRIBLE at trades, he gets beaten like a rented mule on EVERY trade. I could see him trading the #1 pick for a goalie like Jimmy Howard.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

In all honesty if going by position they probably could use everything(Another center to go along with Monahan, defense and wingers). Hard to get a grasp on them, although with Burke doing the drafting not sure how high they would be on Europeans. If I had to guess they would probably take Dal Colle over Draisaitl but I am basing that on nothing

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I think the islanders will not give up the pick if its top five. If its 6th i think there is a small chance they would give it up. However, the way the rookies have been playing despite the lack of pressure i think the islanders will make the pick or trade it. Strome, nelson, dehaan, lee look great and ready to play everyday. As long as we don't give up 3rd period leads, add Reinhart and a goalie to this mix i think they can easily be a playoff team.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
With our luck we'll end up picking 6th and instead of selecting Ehlers Snow will select someone like Fleury

I worry about this also, he is someone snow could take. He is a dime a dozen prospect and next year we can do better. If we end up picking 6, i would go with ehlers, nylander, or richie. Ehlers and nylander are boom or bust type players, but either have the skill to be the best player in the draft. Richie is the safest of three and could be a dominant power forward but doesnt have the skill of the other 2.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember Snow going off the board with an early pick. The only one that comes to mind is de Haan at 12 but in hindsight that appeared to be a brilliant pick.

Guys like Reinhart, Strome, Nino and Bailey seemed to go right around where they were expected to go.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
One of these guys will be the pick at 4 or 5 Dal Colle Draisaitl Ehlhers Ritchie with and outside shot at Bennett.

It won't be Ekblad he will be gone. It won't be Virtanen or Perlini. I doubt it will be Nylander.

Nikolai Koolaidman

Mar 7, 2014
Alright looks like the 5th-6th pick for us. We have a 8.1% chance to win it. With the 5th pick i think you take whoever is left on the board between MDC and leon. 6th i think we should take Ehlers-Nylander. Now if we win it would be interesting. Say if we won it and was looking to trade to Edmonton for them to move up and take Ekblad. What do you think they would give us to move 4th to 1st.

Destiny

Apr 9, 2011
Honestly, Leon/MDC are both great prospects, and are top 5 talents in almost any draft. What is with the complaining about finishing the season strong exactly?

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
If noone overtakes the Islanders by the lottery I can honestly see:

1. Buffalo: Sam Reinhart
2. Florida: Aaron Ekblad
3. Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl

At 4, Calgary makes a pick between Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle or someone that I see as an off the board pick but a pure Burke pick in Nick Ritchie.

Either way at #5, the Islanders and assured one of Bennett or Dal Colle.:yo:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

At 4, Calgary makes a pick between Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle or someone that I see as an off the board pick but a pure Burke pick in Nick Ritchie.

There always is the chance of somebody jumping over us in the lottery, plus if Bennett has a much better career then Dal Colle(or whoever we pick) we always will say what if....

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario

I hate to be that guy that says "there's no way in hell, that guy is gonna drop" but it's very unlikely that Bennett is available at 5, but after Fowler dropped back in 2010, anything can happen. However, MDC on the other has a very good chance of being there, depending on who Calgary likes (I think they'll take one of LD,MDC or Ritche).

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I strongly doubt we take another defenseman. Our prospect pool is so deep and so many of our youngsters are making great strides that Fleury might get lost in the organization.

I think Snow has to go forward if he keeps the first pick. If there was a top tier goalie worthy of top 10 consideration you could maybe tempt him, but there isn't. He has to nab that high-end forward.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Draft Dal Colle or Ehlers don't get cute.

Sign Halak.

Get a veteran top four defenseman.

See you in Training camp.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Assuming Buffalo takes one of the Sams, and then Florida grabs Ekblad, I think you have to see if Edmonton wants to trade down, pick up assets and then take a defenseman later in the draft. If so, I have no problem giving them a second or some combo of thirds and fourths to secure one of the top-3 players - especially if it is Reinhart.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Assuming Buffalo takes one of the Sams, and then Florida grabs Ekblad, I think you have to see if Edmonton wants to trade down, pick up assets and then take a defenseman later in the draft. If so, I have no problem giving them a second or some combo of thirds and fourths to secure one of the top-3 players - especially if it is Reinhart.

I thought this as well. Mayby they trade down and target Fluery. They do need another center though I think. I see EDM Draft list like this
1-Ekblad
2-Reinhart
3-Draisaitl

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
And, while I am not giving Edmonton Reinhart, it would be tempting to see if a deal could be worked out to get their first for a package built around Pulock and some picks (not the Isles first obviously). With Hamonic, de Haan, Hickey and Reinhart ready for next year (that is probably four of the top-6 spots with Viz and hopefully a reliable free agent vet rounding out the top-6 and Strait potentially the seventh, reserve defenseman) plus Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield, Czuczman, etc. in the pipeline; Pulock could be an interesting trade chip for an Edmonton team in need of a young defender with an extra year of development.

With a top-3 pick, the Isles land one of the big three and then have the 5th/6th to add another top forward and thoroughly restock the forward pipeline or slide back in the draft, get a solid prospect and maybe add a 2015 first to cover next year. Just a thought.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
And, while I am not giving Edmonton Reinhart, it would be tempting to see if a deal could be worked out to get their first for a package built around Pulock and some picks (not the Isles first obviously). With Hamonic, de Haan, Hickey and Reinhart ready for next year (that is probably four of the top-6 spots with Viz and hopefully a reliable free agent vet rounding out the top-6 and Strait potentially the seventh, reserve defenseman) plus Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield, Czuczman, etc. in the pipeline; Pulock could be an interesting trade chip for an Edmonton team in need of a young defender with an extra year of development.

With a top-3 pick, the Isles land one of the big three and then have the 5th/6th to add another top forward and thoroughly restock the forward pipeline or slide back in the draft, get a solid prospect and maybe add a 2015 first to cover next year. Just a thought.

Interesting. I'd also like to trade back into the late first round to draft Demko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad