2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Canucks fan who is interested in gauging the Islander's needs. If potentially Bennett, Reinhart, Ekblad and MDC went in the first 4 picks. Who would you think the Islanders take at #5?

You're guess is as good as ours. It's always speculation in the draft thread here, Snow doesn't leak anything.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Agree with most of this, but need to add:

A Pulock or Pokka may have to be traded, just to ensure proper development. With Donovan, Pedan, and Mayfield also needing reps on the powerplay, there just isn't a lot of room. You can't expect Pulock or Pokka to develop as power play fixtures with this mess of talent in Bridgeport. Nevermind if big Griff needs more seasoning. I suppose that gets balanced off with Pokka perhaps staying in Finland one more year.

One of the above mentioned gets moved at the draft 99%...there just ain't enough room!

:yo:

If the Islanders traded one of Pulock or Pokka because guys like Pedan and Donovan are blocking them, I'd probably flip out.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Canucks fan who is interested in gauging the Islander's needs. If potentially Bennett, Reinhart, Ekblad and MDC went in the first 4 picks. Who would you think the Islanders take at #5?

Really don't know. I don't think Nick Ritchie has the high end potential of Ehlers or Draisatl so I would leave it down to those two.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
don't know how the Devils are handled. Are they taken out of the lottery from the start (that's what my #s assume)? Or are they still in the lottery, but if they "win" the order reverts to default?

according to www.mynhldraft.com new jersey is still in it.

"NHL draft odds of receiving the 1st Overall Pick: Updated April 14th, at the end of the regular season.

1st - 25.0% - Buffalo Sabres 51 points.
2nd - 18.8% - Florida Panthers 66 points.
3rd - 14.2% - Edmonton Oilers 67 points.
4th - 10.7% - Calgary Flames 77 points.
5th - 8.1% - NY Islanders 79 points.
6th - 6.2% - Vancouver Canucks 83 points.
7th - 4.7% - Carolina Hurricanes 83 points.
8th - 3.6% - Toronto Maple Leafs 84 points.
9th - 2.7% - Winnipeg Jets 84 points.
10th - 2.1% - Anaheim Ducks (via Ottawa) 88 points.
11th - 1.5% - New Jersey Devils (Forfeit pick but are included in the lottery) 88 points.
12th - 1.1% - Nashville Predators 88 points.
13th - 0.8% - Phoenix Coyotes 89 points.
14th - 0.5% - Washington Capitals 90 points."

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

"NHL draft odds of receiving the 1st Overall Pick: Updated April 14th, at the end of the regular season.

11th - 1.5% - New Jersey Devils (Forfeit pick but are included in the lottery) 88 points.

I dug into the site a bit further because I was curious, so if anyone else is as well: If NJD win the lottery, they will redraw until another team wins.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I dug into the site a bit further because I was curious, so if anyone else is as well: If NJD win the lottery, they will redraw until another team wins.

I wonder if the league will punk NJ and tell them they won. lol

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
So I've just seen Toronto want to get a top 5 pick in the draft. Would anyone be interested in trading back in the draft while picking up a few players?

I think I'd trade back from the 5th to the 8th pick and still pick up one of Ehlers, Richie, Nylander or Virtanen (who is a very interesting prospect).

Islanders send: 5th pick in 2014 draft, Poulin (G)
Toronto sends: 8th pick in 2014 draft, Gardiner (D), Reimer (G) and Connor Brown (RW prospect)

My thinking is Reimer is worth a mid round pick, so little value around the league, Gardiner is a solid defensemen and would add depth but he isn't high value while Brown had a great year for Erie and would be the major piece in the deal. We could then select Ehlers, Richie, Virtanen or Nylander and move on. Or better still, look to package a deal with the Ducks using the 8th pick to trade for Anderson.

We'd have our 1A & 1B goalie tandem sorted long term in Anderson and Reimer. Added a top 4 defender in Gardiner while bringing in a very very good prospect who could do a Strome playing in the AHL next year and if all goes to plan join the Islanders mid season.

I'd do the deal as just 8th pick, Reimer & Brown for the 5th pick if I'm honest. Was just an idea, you could change it up to Gardiner, Reimer & Herzog maybe to push a deal through but I think there's a deal to be made.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
So I've just seen Toronto want to get a top 5 pick in the draft. Would anyone be interested in trading back in the draft while picking up a few players?

I think I'd trade back from the 5th to the 8th pick and still pick up one of Ehlers, Richie, Nylander or Virtanen (who is a very interesting prospect).

Islanders send: 5th pick in 2014 draft, Poulin (G)
Toronto sends: 8th pick in 2014 draft, Gardiner (D), Reimer (G) and Connor Brown (RW prospect)

My thinking is Reimer is worth a mid round pick, so little value around the league, Gardiner is a solid defensemen and would add depth but he isn't high value while Brown had a great year for Erie and would be the major piece in the deal. We could then select Ehlers, Richie, Virtanen or Nylander and move on. Or better still, look to package a deal with the Ducks using the 8th pick to trade for Anderson.

We'd have our 1A & 1B goalie tandem sorted long term in Anderson and Reimer. Added a top 4 defender in Gardiner while bringing in a very very good prospect who could do a Strome playing in the AHL next year and if all goes to plan join the Islanders mid season.

I'd do the deal as just 8th pick, Reimer & Brown for the 5th pick if I'm honest. Was just an idea, you could change it up to Gardiner, Reimer & Herzog maybe to push a deal through but I think there's a deal to be made.

That seems like pretty big overpayment from Toronto. At best we would probably be looking at the 8th pick, a '15 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for clearing that up.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Plenty of room, only Pokka and Pulock have really been mainstays of any teams they were playing with, on the 1st power play unit. Pedan and Mayfield are more shutdown stay at home d guys, same to an extend with Pelech.

I expect a Bridgeport core of something like:

Czuczman - Mayfield
Pedan - Pulock
Pelech - Pokka

With Reinhart and Donovan with the Isles.

Powerplay unit: Sundstrom, Kabanov, Collberg, Pulock, Pokka.

Pokka has experience as the PP QB for Karpat in the SM Liiga while Pulock is the perfect trigger man from the point waiting to unload his cannon.

Penalty Kill: Czuczman and Mayfield

So there really isn't a need at all to move on any of the d prospects. Reinhart will be in the NHL next year, Visnovsky was even talking about possibly retiring this summer due to his concussions. I can see Reinhart and Donovan starting in the NHL next year.

So...

Cdh--Hammer
Hickey-Viz
Strait-Griff
Carkner-Donovan

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
So...

Cdh--Hammer
Hickey-Viz
Strait-Griff
Carkner-Donovan

I'm really hoping Griff hits the ground running and takes over that 4 spot with Hickey fairly quickly. I want Lubo on the 3rd pairing playing less minutes plus power play since I'm not sure if he'll make it a full season.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I'm really hoping Griff hits the ground running and takes over that 4 spot with Hickey fairly quickly. I want Lubo on the 3rd pairing playing less minutes plus power play since I'm not sure if he'll make it a full season.

I agree. The question is, does Snow go into the season assuming the Reinhart can take the #4 spot, or does he get an established d-man over the summer?

I hope he learned his lesson from last summer and doesn't go into the season "hoping". Plus, even if Reinhart hits the ground running, IMO the team still needs a quality PP pointman in the mix.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
FYI, McKenzie comes out with an updated draft list tonight for the lottery. It's going to be a top 12, based on his recent survey of scouts. That should provide some good discussion material!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I agree. The question is, does Snow go into the season assuming the Reinhart can take the #4 spot, or does he get an established d-man over the summer?

I hope he learned his lesson from last summer and doesn't go into the season "hoping". Plus, even if Reinhart hits the ground running, IMO the team still needs a quality PP pointman in the mix.

You know that he's not getting an established D-man, so we better start hoping.

I think De Haan can be the quality PP pointman. He doesn't have a booming shot but he's smart, can move the puck and he can put the types of shots on net for deflections and rebounds.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
If the Islanders traded one of Pulock or Pokka because guys like Pedan and Donovan are blocking them, I'd probably flip out.

Cherry picking to make me look bad? Bully on you.

I don't think Pedan and Donovan are kept over P&P, and was simply pointing out that we've so many headed to the port next season that a trade is imminent...

C-man, Ness, Pedan, Mayfield, Pelech, Pokka, Pulock...add in Donovan and or Carkner of we end up signing even one free agent d-man...and I'm not even counting any current tiger d-men under contract next year or potentials like Burroughs or Graham.

Just not enough ice to go around. One or two of the above gets moved come draft day...book it.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think Pedan and Donovan are kept over P&P, and was simply pointing out that we've so many headed to the port next season that a trade is imminent...

C-man, Ness, Pedan, Mayfield, Pelech, Pokka, Pulock...add in Donovan and or Carkner of we end up signing even one free agent d-man...and I'm not even counting any current tiger d-men under contract next year or potentials like Burroughs or Graham.

Just not enough ice to go around. One or two of the above gets moved come draft day...book it.

That supposes that they have any value. I don't think Ness and Donovan have futures with the organization.

With that really young D, BPT is going to have a hard time competing early in the season next year.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Cherry picking? It's exactly what you said: "A Pulock or Pokka may have to be traded".

I don't agree that anyone would have to be traded, but even if it came to that, the Islanders would look to move someone from that second group(specifically guys like Pedan and Donovan), not one of Pulock or Pokka.

Either way, plenty of spots.

NHL: Hamonic, de Haan, Hickey, Visnovsky, Reinhart, Strait, Donovan, Carkner (if a UFA is brought in, Strait is bumped out of the top-six, and Carkner is waived)

AHL: Pulock, Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech, Czuczman, plus either Finley or Carkner(if he clears) as the depth veteran. Ness, who is an RFA, is bounced out. If he's OK with playing in the ECHL, re-sign him. If not, let him walk.

By the time 2015-16 rolls around, at least one of Pulock/Pokka/Mayfield will be an NHL regular, maybe two of them, which will open up a spot or two for guys like Burroughs, Graham and Russo. I don't see how we will be forced to move anyone just for the sake of making room.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

And Petrov's big debut this season!!! Kabanov will look great on Tavares' too.

Little to no chance Snow trades Pulock, Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield or Pedan at the draft.

Ness has no value.

scott99

May 13, 2005

I know Griff is younger, and Czuczman is a better skater, but Griff is probably going to take less than a quarter of the season to adjust, he's that elite.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I know Griff is younger, and Czuczman is a better skater, but Griff is probably going to take less than a quarter of the season to adjust, he's that elite.

Griff is going to be a monster next year. Really hope Vis comes in healthy though. I think they would compliment eachother perfectly, plus the obvious of Griff having some kind of veteran presence to play with.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Griff is going to be a monster next year. Really hope Vis comes in healthy though. I think they would compliment eachother perfectly, plus the obvious of Griff having some kind of veteran presence to play with.

It's hard to imagine a better fit between team and player than Reinhart. His development has steadily gone as well as we could have imagined.

2 years as Captain of the Oil Kings after being drafted, one of the powers in the WHL for several years. Extensive Team Canada Jr. experience in a major role for them - it could be argued that he was TC's #1D on the depth chart this past year.

He's not sexy, he's never going to be an offensive force and that's ok. Craig Button compared him to Serge Savard (late to the party since DRex made that comparison a long time ago) and he's projecting into a horse that will play all situations. He's the type of 10-year d-man that will be a pillar of strength on the back line that entire time. He's essentially NHL ready with a full ELC, he is untradeable.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

Everything Visnovsky said his exit interview was really worrying. I think he's going to end up retiring this summer due to concussions. He talks about being fine for a few days then constant head aches another so it's not a good sign.

We can't rely on him for next season at all, which should be another reason we are active this summer.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Everything Visnovsky said his exit interview was really worrying. I think he's going to end up retiring this summer due to concussions. He talks about being fine for a few days then constant head aches another so it's not a good sign.

We can't rely on him for next season at all, which should be another reason we are active this summer.

Agreed.

Obviously Vis has a spot if he's healthy next year, but Snow shouldn't be under the assumption that he's going to a.) finish the season healthy b.) have the same impact he did two years ago.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I'm surprised Visnovsky even returned this season. The first concussion early in the season seemed to be a bad one. Even months after, people described him as still being hazy and not totally there. He underwent some radical treatment and it seemed to work, otherwise I don't think he would have played at all. We saw how our defense fell apart without him, but I hope Snow looks at him as a luxury rather than an integral piece going forward. I just can't trust that he'll be able to complete a full season and then the playoffs too.

The emergence of CdH completely changed the dynamic of the blue line so we won't be as screwed next season like this past year if Visnovsky misses more time. The presence of Reinhart also would help ease the loss. Other than a goalie, I hope Snow brings in another veteran top-4 d-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad