Post-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Draft Day 2

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I liked our picks up until Petit, then it went downhill (more like dropped off a cliff) and we missed out on some good players.

I like Demko, I like Tryamkin, I like getting Linden Vey, I really like Forsling.

Some good parts to this draft.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
At least only our last 2 picks feel completely ****ed. Better than some years I can remember. The middle 3 intrigue me even if I don't particularly love them. Happy with Virt and McCann. (and Vey too)

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Yeah, I'm fine with our first 5 rounds. Not all players I would have taken but that said, no bad picks and there's some good value and potential there. Rounds 6 and 7 were just...ugh. Though I think it'll be interesting to see if Pettit can put up bigger numbers now that the older Erie players will be off to the AHL.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Reeks of Morgan Clark to me. Why even bother..

C+/B- draft overall, if last year was an A. Virtanen/McCann/Demko/Tryamkin/Forsling are pretty good picks. The last two were a complete waste.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I hope no one is expecting NHL players out of those 6th/7th round picks. That was ugly.

I never do for those rounds.

But going pretty conservative in the first five gives some hope that we may get more than one NHLer, whatever their ultimate upside.

Forsling is intriguing. Seldom a bad idea to go with top end players on national or U18 teams that late. Much better bet than Subban in the 4th last year.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Benning may have built his own core today
Virtanen (F)
McCann (F)
Demko (G)
Tymarkin (D)

I can see them being in the NHL

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Wanted Mckeown and Rod in the second, so of course LA and SJ grabbed them
Would have much tethered them over a goalie and Vey, haven't seen much Vey though so I'll give him a chance

How many other of willies junior players are they bringing in lol

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Wanted Mckeown and Rod in the second, so of course LA and SJ grabbed them
Would have much tethered them over a goalie and Vey, haven't seen much Vey though so I'll give him a chance

How many other of willies junior players are they bringing in lol

Other Willie Juniors include:

-Etem
-Ennis
-Helm
-Schlemko
-Lupul
-MacArthur
-Barker (uh oh...)
-Russell

Mr Reputable

Oct 8, 2013
Awesome draft picks by Benning! Top 3 picks are incredible. 2 stud Centers and a cornerstone goalie of the future. Vey's upside is worth more than a 3rd and I'm glad we got him just for a 3rd. Great to see him picking up a huge Russian. The Swedish D looks like a great pick-up. Hopefully the last picks pan out but they rarely do.

Pretty satisfied with what we got at the position of picks we have. :handclap::handclap:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Awesome draft picks by Benning! Top 3 picks are incredible. 2 stud Centers and a cornerstone goalie of the future. Vey's upside is worth more than a 3rd and I'm glad we got him just for a 3rd. Great to see him picking up a huge Russian. The Swedish D looks like a great pick-up. Hopefully the last picks pan out but they rarely do.

Pretty satisfied with what we got at the position of picks we have. :handclap::handclap:

Canucks traded a 2nd round pick (the one they got from Garrison) for Vey.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Like this draft overall, but damn did it just drop off a cliff in the last two rounds. Really could have made some steals but instead went with the meat and potatoes players who will never amount to anything but eating meat and potatoes.

As for the others I have really good feelings about McCann and Forsling, like I've had with guys like Jensen, Corrado, and Hutton. Excited to see how they play next season, hoping we have another 5th round steal of a dman.

arsmaster*

Virtanen is a winger.

Vey cost a 2nd not a 3rd.

Nice optimism though.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Ugh I'm hoping benning is planning on using this draft to gauge the effectiveness of the Canuck scouting staff and he only had input on the first few picks. I really liked gillis (admittedly fairly recent) direction to aim for skill in the last few picks. Picking players with no skill will almost never work while picking players with some skill works a great deal of the time more.

Mr Reputable

Oct 8, 2013
Virtanen is a winger.

Vey cost a 2nd not a 3rd.

Nice optimism though.

Virtanen being a winger is even better!

A 2nd for Vey is totally worth it! We've used a 2nd before on Ellington, heck even a first for Patrick White. Vey is the real deal here! Top 6 F!!! He bridges that prospect void that MG messed up.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You guys gotta admit, it is kind of funny how everybody here (including myself) Pretty much hates or thinks are draft was average.

Yet I look on TSN,Sportsnet, and the mainboards on HF boards, including the poll. We are overwhelming winners, and had a Incredible draft

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
You guys gotta admit, it is kind of funny how everybody here (including myself) Pretty much hates or thinks are draft was average.

Yet I look on TSN,Sportsnet, and the mainboards on HF boards, including the poll. We are overwhelming winners, and had a Incredible draft

I think it's the need to criticize and an overvalue of the players we traded that led to all of that around here. I think we did very well and it could really be great moving forward.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Can't say I'm surprised - too much negativity here no matter what happens.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Yup, there are a handful of vocal posters here saying the Canucks had a horrible weekend - made mistakes on virtually every decision. While the broad consensus among hockey people around N. America think the Canucks made out well.

Funny how perceptions work. Looks to me like a few people got upset at the Kesler deal, fell into a deep depression and it's affected everything that's happened in their life since. :laugh:

To be honest, I put very little stock in the opinions of people on this board, regarding players that didn't suit up in Vancouver last year. I search out those that have actually had the fortune of watching these guys play extensively - in doing that, Benning's body of work looks much much better than what you're hearing around here.

The biggest head scratcher for me is the Dorsett deal. Not exactly something that will sink a franchise.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
After reading a mind-numbing array of glass half empty in this thread, I've reached the conclusion that this thread is the incarnation of Chicken Little made flesh.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

STL had one of the best drafts. VAN is not the "winner" considering what STL did.

Anyways, people can appeal to authority here. Probably no one on this board is as good as an NHL scout in finding players. However, from what little we have learned, this team still isn't getting value at their pick positions. Bette players are being passed over.

Happened in 2009 with Rodin/Tatar. Happened in 2011, with the trade down, forgoing Trocheck for Honzik. Happened in 2012, when Mallet was taken ahead of Severson.

These are all missteps that people called and were right about. That looks to be repeated here, but I guess time will tell.

thegutter

May 22, 2011
Why didnt we take hicketts with that 6th? He was talked about as a 1st round talent earlier in the year. Canucks scouts must have seen him enough to know how good he is.

arsmaster*

Why didnt we take hicketts with that 6th? He was talked about as a 1st round talent earlier in the year. Canucks scouts must have seen him enough to know how good he is.

We're after 6'7" meat and potatoes not 5'7". That is why.

Hicketts is a first round talent but he's smaller than many of the Canadian women's hockey team. Not a recipe for success in the NHL. Especially when meat and potatoes is the new mantra for the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad