Post-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Draft Day 2

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah, was just looking at the First Round thread. Like 75% of other teams posters think that Vancouver did very very well in todays first round.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Just for some more context, a year ago Barbashev had 9 points in 7 games at the U18 championship. This year, McCann had 3.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
interested to see if the results of the poll on this board are the exact inverse of the team1040 poll

team1040: how did the canucks do today?

good - 72.7%
bad - 18.2%
don't know yet - 9.1%

team1040 got fed their meat and potatoes and are loving it

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
McCann is a good pick if this team needed a two way center. The actual Value of the pick is very strong.

The problem so many people have with him is that we have such familiar players already in that position.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
i thought we did pretty well
obviously we (even me) all wanted Barbashev but hey lets give these kids a chance, support them and hope for the best....
besides, he's still on the board too so hey who knows....:naughty: (although i doubt it)

member 202355

Would have preferred Ehlers and Scherbak.

**** off Benning/Linden.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
McCann is a good pick if this team needed a two way center. The actual Value of the pick is very strong.

The problem so many people have with him is that we have such familiar players already in that position.

He's not a good pick if the team needed a two way centre, since Barbashev was a two-way centre on the board and better in pretty much every way.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just noticed everybody loves the mccann pick on HF boards except our fans. Even CDC and other boards on espn and TSN love the draft for us. Calling us the clear winners.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I thought this place was supposed to be the last bastion of logic and reason.

Benning cut off some of the dead weight and make 2 good picks.

I expected more return on the trades, but it's not the end of the world.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
interested to see if the results of the poll on this board are the exact inverse of the team1040 poll

team1040: how did the canucks do today?

good - 72.7%
bad - 18.2%
don't know yet - 9.1%

team1040 got fed their meat and potatoes and are loving it

difference between general public who follows the Canucks and people who follows hockey and prospects like this broad.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I really don't get a lot of you... For years everyone *****ed about being a small soft ***** team that got bullied well now Benning is here trying to change that and you guys whine about it? Nothing wrong with Virtanen at 6th or McCann at 24th I remember a few months ago many on here were talking about McCann at 6th cause of that scout report on him but now its a big failure at 24th? Fans on here want a scoring PF and we drafted one in Virtanen, also local boy too.. something else many in here complain about not having enough of.. We want to get away from being a small team in the pacific. No issues at all with our draft picks, a bit of an issue with that Kesler trade.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I thought this place was supposed to be the last bastion of logic and reason.

Benning cut off some of the dead weight and make 2 good picks.

I expected more return on the trades, but it's not the end of the world.

Here's what I know: The Canucks offense is in a tail-spin, has been for 2 + years.

There's no help coming, none. If you think the Canucks can add 60-80 goals they will need through their current prospects/UFA market...

Oh man... next year is going to surprise some people...

BEERows

Mar 13, 2011
Abbotsford
Overall I'm pretty happy with what transpired today. The Kesler deal returned some pretty good value considering the circumstances. People's expectations were much too high to begin with. The Garrison trade should've definitely returned a bit more but I'm not heartbroken over it. He was a free agent and he never really fit on this team anyway. We aren't trying to win anytime soon so getting him off the books is a good move imo. My biggest fear was the Canucks becoming a team that just keeps missing the playoffs and keeps trying to add veterans. It's going to be hard for some people to swallow but clearing out the roster is exactly what needed to happen.

People complaining about Benning need to wake up. He obviously got the best possible value he could but the NMC's made things difficult. If Gillis was still here he would've been patient and a disgruntled Kesler would still be with us. The new regime checked a lot of boxes for what the fans wanted and then it actually happens and people are upset :shakehead.

This organization needs to rebuild. No prospects were lost and expendable roster players were moved. I really don't know what alternatives people would've wanted? Head into next season with the same stale roster? Now we have more youth and a chance for a better draft pick, which is the correct course of action because we aren't winning in the playoffs anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad