Post-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Draft Day 2

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Yeah, bye to that pick pretty much.

^ Though very cool story. Definitely a guy to cheer for but still just not a good pick - would have preferred Summers or Jenkins.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Well that's that.

When you add up the kilos and the inches this draft has to easily trump what Gillis did in 2011. Must be heaviest in Nuck history. Any questions about the model?

May Benning have better luck. Peace.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
With our picks done, I can safely say I don't like Benning's drafting so far. Our first rounders were decent, but not the BPAs at their respective spots at least in terms of upside. Our mid picks were fine. Our late picks were...odd, especially considering a few names that were falling and so still on the board.

Overall I liked the trades yesterday, though. Let's see what free agency brings.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Not really happy with this draft. The skill element, which this club needed the most, is seriously lacking. Virtanen himself is considered a bit of a risky pick. McCann - another two way guy. A goalie. A handful of defenseman and a guy who projects to be a 4th line centre in Petit.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Interesting back story about Mackenzie:

The story of MacKenze Stewart is a tale of perseverance in the face of tremendous adversity.

The towering 17-year-old defenseman has beaten the odds all his young life.

The Calgary native who is on the cusp of making the Prince Albert Raiders had to overcome a lot just to play hockey.

"I was born deaf." said Stewart.

"Then I had a lot of surgeries, so I didn't start playing hockey until I was in grade six, so 12-years-old."

However, once Mackenze hit the ice, he developed quickly.

"As soon as I started hockey, I loved it, I kept progressing and working hard and it got me to where I am today."

Up until that point, lacing on the skates had been merely a dream of a young boy facing a considerable life challenge.

"I always had an interest in the sport," said Stewart. "I was watching it on CBC, Hockey Night in Canada, sit down and watch it with my dad and played street hockey all the time. It was always fun and became a part of my life."

Stewart is an imposing figure on the ice. His 6'3" 225 pound frame caught the attention of Raider scouts while scoring 3 goals and 8 assists in 24 games with the Okotoks Bisons of the Heritage Jr-B League and picked up valuable experience making it all the way to the final of the Alberta Jr-B championship tournament.

Stewart also feels he continues to improve the deeper he goes into a new WHL experience.

"I feel I played a lot better in main camp than rookie camp, but I've still got a lot of work to do and hopefully make it through to the (regular) season and work my way up into the lineup."

MacKenzie feels adversity early in life has helped his hockey career.

"Definitely all the hard work and knowing what it takes and you've got to pay a price to be where you want to be and it's definitely a big commitment, I was willing to do what it took to get me where I am, and still am today."

Mackenzie Stewart has been an A-student at Calgary's Edge School which has an excellent Midget hockey program, but chose to play Jr-B last season feeling it would be better for his development.

However, the chance to play in the WHL as a 17-year-old considering a young life full of obstacles is still sometimes hard to believe.

"I never expected a situation like this. I have a lot of friends I've definitely looked up to in the league and I thought, wow, what a chance, what an opportunity to get where they are." said Stewart.

"It was a surprise I even got an invite to this (Raider camp) this year and be where I am right now. I'm in a pretty good position. It's pretty much a lifelong dream"

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Some excellent picks in the 7th, but we are not one of them.

Kyle Jenkins, excellent value.
Pierre Engvall, high high upside, late bloomer.
Kelly Summers, a minute munching smart D with a huge shot
Francis Perron, good two way player
Jared Fiegl, smart bottom 6 forward, extremely hardworking
Edgars Kulda, great grit, energy to his game, Mem Cup MVP, literally took over games.
Patrick Sanvido, strong defensive d man with great size, became Windsors go to guy to lean on.
Axel Holmstrom, a hardworking smart two way C for DET
Olivier Leblanc, high risk offensive D man but plays with an attitude.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Some excellent picks in the 7th, but we are not one of them.

Kyle Jenkins, excellent value.
Pierre Engvall, high high upside, late bloomer.
Kelly Summers, a minute munching smart D with a huge shot
Francis Perron, good two way player
Jared Fiegl, smart bottom 6 forward, extremely hardworking
Edgars Kulda, great grit, energy to his game, Mem Cup MVP, literally took over games.
Patrick Sanvido, strong defensive d man with great size, became Windsors go to guy to lean on.
Axel Holmstrom, a hardworking smart two way C for DET
Olivier Leblanc, high risk offensive D man but plays with an attitude.

How can a Memorial Cup MVP go unselected into the seventh round? Is there any logical explanation for that, it just feels so stupid? :D

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Ehh Stewart? There were much better players with more upside available.
Overall, past the first round I'm initially unimpressed. Not disappointed, but not impressed as I was last draft.

Demko: He's the best goalie in the draft and could be another Schneider (NCAA goalie we take our time on), but not a fan of drafting goalies early. Would have preferred Marcus Petterson (D), Brett Pollock (L), Roland McKeown (D), Jack Dougherty (D) or Eric Cornel (C).

Tryamkin: HUGE guy and a certainly a project. Don't know much about him but I think he was one of the best defenders for Russia this past WJC. I would have preferred to take a flyer on Anton Karlsson (R) or Brayden Point (C).

Forsling: Awesome name and definitely some upside. A 5th round defensemen so hopefully he follows the trend of Corrado and Hutton.

Pettit: With Gaunce and Fox leaving Erie, there's more ice time for the kid. Know absolutely nothing about him but Vladimir Tkachyov was available and although he's Russian and small, he's amazingly skilled.

Stewart: Hate to be a negative Nancy, but initial impression is that this is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad pick :(

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Tell me about it... That is a great pick by them.

Possibly the biggest faller: Spencer Watson. Good pick by LA again.

Our pick vs. theirs is a microcosm of our general organizational directions over the last few years.

Benning has a lot of work to do to fix our scouting mess, and I'm not sure he's the guy to do it.

arsmaster*

Our pick vs. theirs is a microcosm of our general organizational directions over the last few years.

Benning has a lot of work to do to fix our scouting mess, and I'm not sure he's the guy to do it.

He's definitely not the guy to fix it.

Dark days ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad