GDT: 2014 IIHF World Championship [OP Updated]

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How is it a hyperbole when it has happened all season long, this didn't start in the World Championships at all. It started at Day 1 in the training camp, surprised some of you are just noticing it now. It just means his body isn't exactly in tune with his mental side of the game. This doesn't mean he sucks or anything, just a weakness that will improve with time. What is the true hyperbole, is the overreaction of this.

Almost every other play is an extreme exaggeration... hence the use of hyperbole.

Everybody has noticed it through the season and commented on it at one point.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I guess we're back to the MacKinnon/Jones talk from this time last year when they were playing in the Memorial Cup. People exaggerating every little thing they do and just flat out making stuff up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Almost every other play is an extreme exaggeration... hence the use of hyperbole.

Everybody has noticed it through the season and commented on it at one point.

Extreme exaggeration? Really? A ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 is exaggeration? Two shifts with one rolling of the puck happening? Three shifts with one rolling of the puck occurring? A ratio of 1:1, absolutely is that exaggeration, but still stand that the 2:1, 3:1, and perhaps even 4:1 is still sufficient to me IMO. I am also taking in minor, but noticeable puck rolling as well.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Extreme exaggeration? Really? A ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 is exaggeration? Two shifts with one rolling of the puck happening? Three shifts with one rolling of the puck occurring? A ratio of 1:1, absolutely is that exaggeration, but still stand that the 2:1, 3:1, and perhaps even 4:1 is still sufficient to me IMO. I am also taking in minor, but noticeable puck rolling as well.
Well, you didn't say shifts, you said every other play. There can be multiple plays in a shift.

And yes, it is extreme exaggeration. At the start of the season, it was happening a lot, but it sure cut down the second half of the year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, you didn't say shifts, you said every other play. There can be multiple plays in a shift.

And yes, it is extreme exaggeration. At the start of the season, it was happening a lot, but it sure cut down the second half of the year.

This. It didn't even come close to happening every 1 in 4 shifts let alone plays. It happens a noticeable amount, but every other play is an extreme exaggeration.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This. It didn't even come close to happening every 1 in 4 shifts let alone plays. It happens a noticeable amount, but every other play is an extreme exaggeration.

:laugh: How can it be noticeable, but extreme exaggeration at the same time? That is like saying I'm eating an orange and it tastes like an orange, but in reality it is an apple.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
:laugh: How can it be noticeable, but extreme exaggeration at the same time? That is like saying I'm eating an orange and it tastes like an orange, but in reality it is an apple.

No... It is saying somebody ate a whole bag of oranges for breakfast when they really ate one. :nod:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I guess we're back to the MacKinnon/Jones talk from this time last year when they were playing in the Memorial Cup. People exaggerating every little thing they do and just flat out making stuff up.

The Memorial Cup sprinkled with a side of World Juniors! If the US and Canada win their QF match they'll meet in the semis.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So...someone talks about about Seth, SEPH comes back with MacKinnon's issues this year and the cycle continues ;)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If this is going to happen every time someone mentions Seth Jones, I'll do it more often.

Dance my puppets.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I love how Seth Jones has a good tournament on paper and his fanboys come start talking.

Let break this down before we start talking:

Jones has 9 pts in 7 games, looks good on paper until your realize that 6 of those 9 pts came against Latvia and Kazakhstan, not exactly world beaters.

Of those 9 pts, only 2 came against teams that actually qualified for the QF round and those were both against Finland, who sent basically no one to this tournament.

So in conclusion Jones has had a very good tournament against the piss poor teams and racked up a ton of pts doing so, and a so-so tournament against real competition.

This in no way means that Jones is a bad player or anything, it's just an analysis of his play in the tournament to this point, to prove my point that his tournament isn't as good as it looks on paper.

This is also not a comparison to MacKinnon, it is strictly an analysis of Seth Jones.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Still wish he played one season with New Jersey

LOL, I say this news yesterday and all I could think was, "i hope he played for the Devils".

The signs at those games, oh man, would be almost as good as Oregon State playing South Carolina (Beavers vs Cocks for those who dont follow college).

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I love how Seth Jones has a good tournament on paper and his fanboys come start talking.

Jones has 9 pts in 7 games, looks good on paper until your realize that 6 of those 9 pts came against Latvia and Kazakhstan, not exactly world beaters.

Of those 9 pts, only 2 came against teams that actually qualified for the QF round and those were both against Finland, who sent basically no one to this tournament.

So in conclusion Jones has had a very good tournament against the piss poor teams and racked up a ton of pts doing so, and a so-so tournament against real competition.

This in no way means that Jones is a bad player or anything, it's just an analysis of his play in the tournament to this point, to prove my point that his tournament isn't as good as it looks on paper.

This is also not a comparison to MacKinnon, it is strictly an analysis of Seth Jones.
Reminds me of Blues fans analysis on Stewart. He put up insane numbers against the weak teams in the East and Edmonton, while putting up almost 0 points against the playoff teams of the West.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If this is going to happen every time someone mentions Seth Jones, I'll do it more often.

Dance my puppets.
Did you forget how annoying the MacKinnon homers were last year?

Pejorative Slured arguement because you must understand that defensemen can't choose to score goals or get points. They have to pick their chances to rush up the ice and focus on offense without hurting their team. Defensemen's main mission is to keep the puck out of the net first and provide offense second. If you compare Jones responsibilities to someone like MacKinnon, Nathan's job is still score only. What stat out there checks for great defensive play? None. Using points to judge a defenseman has to be one of the stupidest things I have read anywhere on the internet. It's like how majority of HF posters think 1st rounders have the same value level of an NHL established player(s). Because Jones has to pick his rushes and cannot think about offense every single play he is limited of chances he can get points. I don't care if he scores 9 of his points against Team Congo or Team Canada, it is still a very impressive feat.

Also you can't begin your rebuttal about powerplay since MacKinnon sustained a large amount of goals from the PP. Actually MacKinnon's rookie season has been fairly close to the same first season that Nugent-Hopkins had.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's 33% of his goals, a huge amount. I do value 5v5 points much higher than I value PP points. RNH is a perfect example of a player who destroys on the PP, but not everywhere else. Of course Avs didn't need MacKinnon to be a 5v5 player to produce offense as other players were, his powerplay points were a good bonus to the club.

The USA team was not a "hot mess", I think it was a pretty damn successful tournament for a team that had Abdelkader as their star and captain player. Majority of these players had their first season in the NHL and are the future for US Hockey. I do love Thomas, but his overaggressive-ness really hurt USA in this tournament. Practically every goal the opponents scored besides the Russia game was Thomas overplaying the puck.

In the end it doesn't really matter, because France is going to win gold.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Let's go beyond that:

Rookie Seasons:

RNH
PP Goals - 3 Percentage of Total - 16.67%
PP Assists - 20 Percentage of Total - 58.82%
PP Points - 23 Percentage of Total - 44.23%

MacK
PP Goals - 8 Percentage of Total - 33.33%
PP Assists - 9 Percentage of Total - 23.08%
PP Points - 17 Percentage of Total - 27.98%

MacK's power play scoring is significantly different than RNH's.

Top 10 Goal scorers in NHL in 13/14

Ovi 51G 24PPG 47.05%
Perry 43G 8PPG 18.60%
Pavelski 41G 16PPG 39.02%
Pacioretty 39G 10PPG 25.64%
Seguin 37G 11PPG 29.73%
Kessel 37G 8PPG 21.62%
Crosby 36G 11PPG 30.56%
Kunitz 35G 13PPG 37.14%
Benn 34G 5PPG 14.70%
Shrap 34G 10PPG 29.41%

Judging by that, MacK's power play goal percentage is in the range of the top goal scorers in the NHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Myers sure blew it with that turnover at his blueline. Pretty poor play at the worst time. Scrivins with some pretty crap goaltending when they needed saves too.

Hopefully Mack made it through the tourney without anything too serious. Seemed to take a lot of slashes and a few hard hits. Didn't seem too bothered though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes that USA team was a hot mess. I said there were a few bright spots, some had very nice individual performances. Thomas was the 19/21 ranked goalie and they completely melted down with a bunch of bad penalties today. And how is France going to win gold when they got shutout by Russia today?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He had his moments, but overall I thought it was a fairly tough tournament for him. Didn't produce as much as his icetime would have projected, but oh well. He looks to be healthy, although tired, and gained some great experience.

Now the kid can enjoy a few weeks off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad