GDT: 2014 IIHF World Championship [OP Updated]

R S

Sep 18, 2006
That money could be gathered in other ways. Such as a more prominent tournament in between the Olympics... Maybe a World Cup as has been discussed.

Do something like this:

2014: Olympics
2015: World Championships
2016: World Cup
2017: World Championships
Repeat

Having World Championships and Olympics/World Cup in the same year is redundant.

Having bigger transfer fees would hurt parity in the NHL and be a bad thing for the league (and this hockey is the biggest markets) as the budget teams couldn't afford the bigger transfer fees and the Leafs/Sabres/Flyers/Detroit could.

Good luck getting things like the NHLPA on board with stuff like that. Big time costs and demand on the athletes...plus the extra risk of injury.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Good luck getting things like the NHLPA on board with stuff like that. Big time costs and demand on the athletes...plus the extra risk of injury.

The owners are pushing for a World Cup again. Wouldn't be surprised to see it actually happen... Tretiak thinks it will in 2016.

Then with that schedule it would actually cut out one tournament every 4 years as there would be 1 per year vs 1 per year with an extra thrown in during Olympic years. So less wear and tear... along with the carrot of playing in future Olympics if they agree to play in World Cups (I'm pretty positive that is what the owners will put out there).

Edit: Recent article on the subject

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/11/report-world-cup-of-hockey-returning-in-2016/

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
As long as the IIHF keeps making money the WCH will be held every year. I think they should skip it in an olympic year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Still can't play defense worth a crap. He is going to turn into a poor man Karlsson. Capable of 50pts, while playing 2nd pairing capable defense.

Ummmmm seems you haven't seen him play. He has been a force at both ends of the ice easily. Only problem he has defensively is he is prone to puck watching. MacKinnon is flawed as well with the puck rolling off his stick on almost every other play.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ummmmm seems you haven't seen him play. He has been a force at both ends of the ice easily. Only problem he has defensively is he is prone to puck watching. MacKinnon is flawed as well with the puck rolling off his stick on almost every other play.

Yah what the hell is up with that? I saw it alot this season aswell.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Yah what the hell is up with that? I saw it alot this season aswell.

Oates would say there is a probably a problem with the curve of his stick.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
MacKinnon made a great pass to Bieksa on the PP for a goal but it got called back because Huberdeau was in the crease. That's the only highlight of his I saw from today's game.

Gaudreau for the US........wow. Check out the highlights of the goals in that game. Those hands! :amazed:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
MacKinnon is flawed as well with the puck rolling off his stick on almost every other play.
Holy exaggeration. He cut down on that a lot over the course of the season and I expect it to continue to become few and far between.

I figured we'd be done with the MacKinnon/Jones comparisons for a while but I guess not. Still have that almost year gap in their ages in terms of development.

Barely watched any of the WC's. It's boring hockey, IMO, just like the Olympics were. Big ice is not entertaining.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy exaggeration.

I figured we'd be done with the MacKinnon/Jones comparisons for a while but I guess not. Still have that almost year gap in their ages in terms of development.

Barely watched any of the WC's. It's boring hockey, IMO, just like the Olympics were. Big ice is not entertaining.

Exaggeration? Not at all.

Year of development? What advantage will this be during both players prime year? None.

I love MacKinnon, but I will also defend Jones from ignorance.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacKinnon made a great pass to Bieksa on the PP for a goal but it got called back because Huberdeau was in the crease. That's the only highlight of his I saw from today's game.

Gaudreau for the US........wow. Check out the highlights of the goals in that game. Those hands! :amazed:

MacKinnon is a cycle machine. If they kept track of Corsi I'd be shocked if he wasn't leading the team in it. 7 shots today, forward with the most ice time. Yes, I watched the game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is possible to defend Jones without using hyperbole against MacK. Does he have some issues handling the puck at full speed? Yep. Is it a huge issue? No not really and he will improve a lot in that area as he learns to handle the puck better along with simplifying his moves. Also, Jones is showing everything that makes him one of the top defensemen prospects in the game if not the top one.

member 116861

It is possible to defend Jones without using hyperbole against MacK. Does he have some issues handling the puck at full speed? Yep. Is it a huge issue? No not really and he will improve a lot in that area as he learns to handle the puck better along with simplifying his moves. Also, Jones is showing everything that makes him one of the top defensemen prospects in the game if not the top one.

MacKinnon has been having trouble handling the puck in all situations during this tournament not just at full speed like he was during the regular season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacKinnon has played more hockey this year than he ever had. He probably trained harder than he ever had this past summer. He'd have to be superhuman not to be fatigued.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacKinnon has been having trouble handling the puck in all situations during this tournament not just at full speed like he was during the regular season.

He tries too hard to make moves and be cute with the puck. He will simplify as he matures and he will get better at handling the puck. Luckily despite his troubles handling the puck during the regular season this year, he was the 2nd most dangerous Avs player this year, and was the most dangerous for a stretch. People are blowing his struggles way out of proportion.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Seth Jones has 9 points in 7 games. :scared:

It's weird I'm still exactly the same on Jones as I've always been. Doesn't want to play physical and use his size and not smart enough to play like a Lindstrom on defense whom I believe he compared his defensive game to at one point.

Very good offensively but don't see him as an EK almost PPG type great offensively. Wouldn't risk the 1st overall pick on him in a draft with a Mackinnon in it. Something I think happened with alot of GM's/scouts as the draft came closer.

I never watched him as much as others tho, but never understood the hype completely. I think 4th overall was a good spot for him to go, esp in his class.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

How is it a hyperbole when it has happened all season long, this didn't start in the World Championships at all. It started at Day 1 in the training camp, surprised some of you are just noticing it now. It just means his body isn't exactly in tune with his mental side of the game. This doesn't mean he sucks or anything, just a weakness that will improve with time. What is the true hyperbole, is the overreaction of this.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's weird I'm still exactly the same on Jones as I've always been. Doesn't want to play physical and use his size and not smart enough to play like a Lindstrom on defense whom I believe he compared his defensive game to at one point.

All of this has been wrong so far in the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad